HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Advanced Techniques for Hawken

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 05 2013 - 01:54 PM

:::::WARNING: WALL OF TEXT:::::

I feel that Hawken is short on advanced techniques. I'm not saying Hawken lacks skill, just that's the skillsets it requires is a fairly short list. The skills you need to succede are good aim, spatial awareness, positioning and knowledge of stats and items. Fairly standard for a FPS.

One thing that Hawken has that's a big selling point is that you are piloting mechs. So why not add special techniques that make you feel like you are pulling off complicated manuevers in a vehicle designed for war_ I would like to see advanced techniques which are hard to pull off, but with practice can greatly improve your performance even with underpowered mechs.

Games designed for competition sometimes have such teniques that add to the gaming experience. These usually don't interfere with beginner and intermediate games but are crucial for high tier play.
Notable Examples:
  • Quake "Rocket Jumping"
  • Unreal Tournament 2004 "Wall Jumpimg"
  • Street Fighter 3 "Parry"
  • Super Street Fighter IV "Focus Attacks"
  • Smash Bros. Brawl "Sex Kicks" and "Wave Dashing"

Yes, some of these are fighting games. But they are also at the apex of competitive games, because of the subtle and hard to learn expert mechanics.

Adding advanced techniques to Hawken could help with some of the balance proplems in the game. As long as the mechanics of the techniques work slightly different between the classes, it might be better than just buffing underpowerd stats. Below are some game mechanincs that I think could add combat variety, and increase the feeling of piloting a mech.

Power Drift Mechanic
Spoiler

Thruster Burst
Spoiler

Acceleration
Spoiler

Any one of these techniques could be added to Hawken to diversefy playing styles and encourage new skillsets in my opinion. Rather than thinking of mechs as tanks with legs, it's posible to explore unique advantages a mech could bring to the battlefield and turn those ideas into game mechanics.

#2 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 02:20 PM

"Advanced Techniques" like the ones you are describing, by and large are not intentionally designed mechanics. They are exploits found by the players that give them an advantage at high-level play. It is not a bad thing that few such exploits have been discovered in Hawken. The ones that have (failsafe+fuel conversion for example) are breaking the game and will be removed.
Posted Image

#3 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 05 2013 - 02:44 PM

First of all, what do you define advanced maneuvers in Hawken as_ What do you perceive them as_

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#4 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted December 05 2013 - 02:51 PM

are breaking the game and will be removed.
...like failsafe and converter :lol: maybe...in next patch...in near future...

#5 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on December 05 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

failsafe+fuel conversion for example
The difference between that and what the OP suggested is that it literally doesn't take any skill. Once you've figured a certain combo of internals out or maybe even saw it on somebody's stream there's no further actions involved. Equip and enjoy your passive bonus.
Besides, the suggestions provided by the OP are no exploits but really legit options to bring more depth to movement.

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#6 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on December 05 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

The ones that have (failsafe+fuel conversion for example) are breaking the game and will be removed.

I consider failsafe+fuel converted an exploit of a mistake or oversight in scripting. But out of the examples I gave, only wave dashing was a happy mistake and was actual was kept for Smash Bros. Brawl. All the other examples were mechanics that were intentianally left in for interesting gameplay.

View PostSilverfire, on December 05 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

First of all, what do you define advanced maneuvers in Hawken as_ What do you perceive them as_

I personnaly don't know of any advanced maneuvers in Hawken as is. You boost, fly and shoot. Items do their thing, they are stretegic but simple in nature. Mech abilities have their strenths and weaknesses, and usually work as intended. Hawken combat boils down to timing really. Attack at the right time, use items and abilities at the right time and retreat at the right time.

What I am suggesting is adding specific movements that take practice to get right, they don't give you an edge in damage but help your movements be a little less predictable. I'm not saying my ideas are perfect, it's just a suggestion and my opinion.

#7 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:15 PM

There are advanced maneuvers. Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist. There's a wolfyFTW YouTube video that details a few "advanced maneuvers" to start. I can't link it Because I'm on my phone, but if you search it or somebodyit's kind enough to link it, they're there for you to learn.

Although i wouldn't mind seeing more.

Edited by Silverfire, December 05 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#8 WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUpon a Leibnizsaur

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:27 PM

If 180 spin can be used during a side-dodge, I feel that would be a great bonus to positioning.

180 spin in general feels like it has potential, especially because of Hawken's capped turn rates.

I would not mind seeing extra techniques like these.
Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#9 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:29 PM

Before this turns into another failsafe discussion, I just want to agree that these are some pretty awesome ideas all around, increase the attractiveness of piloting larger mechs, and even seem to fit the canon.

Just imagine the scruffy pilots in the garage practicing their dodge-slides and telling stories about how they 180-thruster-flashed a cloaked pred once...
[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#10 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostSilverfire, on December 05 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

There's a wolfyFTW YouTube video that details a few "advanced maneuvers" to start. I can't link it Because I'm on my phone, but if you search it or somebody is kind enough to link it, they're there for you to learn.
There you go :P

I do miss the wall jumps from UT04, however I think the mechs are too heavy for such acrobatic moves... Would love to see something comparable in Hawken though!

#11 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the vid.

Just because you don't know them doesn't mess they don't exist.

I've actually been doing those moves intuetivly so I didn't consider them advanced manuevers. I considered them more along the line of tactical decisions, combining standard manuevers in unique ways.

That's all I'm really saying, I would enjoy adding a few new manuevers to the game. That way if you don't feel you can improve your aim much, you could at least try to be the best pilot you can be.

View PostNvain, on December 05 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I do miss the wall jumps from UT04, however I think the mechs are too heavy for such acrobatic moves... Would love to see something comparable in Hawken though!

I'm not fully knowledgeble on the lore, but doesn't the planet that Hawken takes place in have less gravity than Earth_ And some sort of weightless materials_ If so, would wall jumps really be out of the question_

#12 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:04 PM

While many want Hawken to be the arena shooter it was in the first game play preview, I doubt it will ever happen. Hawken's slooow movement combined with restricted weapon selection means there is no way around maneuverability adjustments making something totally crazy or totally useless - i.e. Scout and Brawler.

The next best thing to do for advanced game play in a slow moving game is team composition. Assume players will take damage almost all of the time and balance around that. While mech blobs are a guarantee with this method, it shouldn't be a problem if there are many unique classes and team builds.

#13 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:19 PM

personally I love the idea OP made where A classes would have an advantage in acceleration and C's would have an advantage in top speed (B's obviously in between)
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#14 Nvain

Nvain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostStruttingStray, on December 05 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm not fully knowledgeble on the lore, but doesn't the planet that Hawken takes place in have less gravity than Earth_ And some sort of weightless materials_ If so, would wall jumps really be out of the question_

View PostSandSpider, on September 06 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Illal
Second planet from star
Size: Diam 13158 km
Mass 1.08 Earths
Avg Temp 37.8c
Orbital Year 292 days
Length of day  22.5 hours
Distance from star 129 million km on the inner edge of the habitable zone.
I'm not sure what SandSpider's sources on this are, but according to him Illal's mass is 1.08 Earths, so it's pretty safe to say gravity is very similar :P
I think it would take a lot of getting used to if there were wall jumps - a welcome change though.

#15 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 05 2013 - 07:44 PM

Some good ideas in here - this is the kind of thing a few players have been saying since the beginning of OB. Air-Dodge was the first dramatic change which allowed for some slightly more advanced combat maneuvers (NOT just bunnyhopping) but it is still only a small step in the right direction.

I really like both the powersliding idea and the ability to 180 spin whilst mid-dodge idea. They could be great additions.

Edited by Aims, December 05 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#16 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted December 05 2013 - 07:51 PM

Airdodging into a shield and righting your orientation midair is a great way to mix up shield dance engagements.  Makes you feel pro as fuzzy bunny too, lol.

#17 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted December 05 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostStruttingStray, on December 05 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

• Smash Bros. Brawl "Sex Kicks" and "Wave Dashing"

leave
http://www.twitch.tv/hestoned
  my stream. Scout and Grenadier play

#18 peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 05 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think certain techniques are really based off the map. The map influences what Mechs are picked and where to position to attack. It's up to us to get creative on how to gain the advantage in a fight.

Edited by peacecraftSLD, December 05 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#19 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted December 06 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostNvain, on December 05 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

There's a wolfyFTW YouTube video that details a few "advanced maneuvers" to start. I can't link it Because I'm on my phone, but if you search it or somebody is kind enough to link it, they're there for you to learn.
There you go :P

He used the scout there.. in those days scout had plenty of fuel and an unparalleled burst damage. Ye you could do all the fancy moves around the victim just for fun ya know :)

#20 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted December 06 2013 - 02:58 AM

There are advanced maneuvers. Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist. There's a wolfyFTW YouTube video that details a few "advanced maneuvers" to start. I can't link it Because I'm on my phone, but if you search it or somebodyit's kind enough to link it, they're there for you to learn.

+1 to this.  "Moves like Mech Jagger" was probably the best video I have ever seen.  The "run under" technique still confuses some ambushing A class pilots today!

To the OP.  I am fine with adding new mechanics but consider that techniques are limitless as we pilot our mechs in a 3d environment.  Look at the top 10 players of Hawken, not only do they achieve spectacular results by nonthing more than a differing technique, they do it fairly flawlessly as a coordinated team.  (when playing together)

In lower level matches, I can't even keep "that one player" from charging alone away from the group over and over in TDM giving the opponents 25 kills.
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users