HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heat Sinks On Large Mechs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

the lower the number the less heat weapon use generates
(I think that's right)
someone done goofed at ADH because larger surface areas radiate heat more efficiently than smaller surface areas
whilst it is also true that larger volume objects retain core heat for longer, it's probably safe to assume that mechs conduct that heat to heatsinks located on the outside of the mech, thus larger mechs have more space to mount such things
oh, and let's not forget that all of the Cs have two giant lumps of metal that flap around like wings that could easily be explained as being heatsinks as well as armour limbs
(it's not like they're any damn use as armour now are they)

it also makes more sense to give the big boys more heat sustain than the little chaps because they can't break off so well to cool off for a moment

the above numbers need to be reversed, or pegged at current A levels and reduced for the Bs and Cs in proportion to the above

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#2 Greenvalv

Greenvalv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostMuffintrumpet, on December 17 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

the above numbers need to be reversed, or pegged at current A levels and reduced for the Bs and Cs in proportion to the above
We can most likely get them to just reverse the numbers.  With the new heat based c class coming soon I doubt they'd lower the heat gen even further.
Posted Image

#3 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted December 17 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostGreenvalv, on December 17 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

With the new heat based c class coming soon I doubt they'd lower the heat gen even further.

That class is purely speculative. I wouldn't hold on to any hopes for it.

Heatsink stats definitely need to be swapped around.
[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#4 StruttingStray

StruttingStray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 17 2013 - 12:04 PM

I brought this up a couple weeks ago in General Discussion (it's in my sig), but the thread faded away quickly. Hopefully more intrest will be made thanks to the new Mech Hangar section.

#5 VYR3

VYR3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:25 PM

scout to brawler, infil to vanny, reaper to rocketeer, and zerker to gren might work

#6 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:33 PM

All light mechs, -5 heat sinks.  (Although reaper will be absolute fuzzy bunny then, more so than it already is.)
All medium mechs, no change.
All heavy mechs +5 heat sinks.

#7 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 06:51 AM

I wouldn't mind if the heavies had a much larger heat dumping advantage than the ranges shown above

heat is yet another thing in this game that seems to have been designed without any discernible rhyme or reason
you've got the Brawler that's overheating after one fight and facing an age to cool down if it overheats, not to mention having to spend so many Tuning points on it just to not be completely sh_t*, whereas the Gren is back up and running in a fraction of that time

* this ties in with a post I made about the Brawler: I don't see why the Brawler must spend Tuning in order to become two-thirds-viable but all the other mechs get to spend their Tuning to buff an already viable innate play style
/Hawken logic strikes again

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#8 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 19 2013 - 07:15 PM

At least give turret modes more heatsinks and more Cooling Units while we wait for them to properly tune them without...

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#9 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 04:34 AM

oh now look what you've done, finger
I regard turret mode as being pretty much useless -- in just about every situation where you'd think turret mode was useful you're actually far better off being stood up and 'mobile' -- but if you're able to double your heat dumping capacity whilst in turret mode it might, /might/ be a bit more useful
I'd much prefer the heavies have strong innate heat dumping capacity, because that makes sense no matter which direction you approach the idea from and it isn't being relegated into being a crutch to prop up a sh_t ability

#10 fingerknitter

fingerknitter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 20 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostMuffintrumpet, on December 20 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

oh now look what you've done, finger
I regard turret mode as being pretty much useless -- in just about every situation where you'd think turret mode was useful you're actually far better off being stood up and 'mobile' -- but if you're able to double your heat dumping capacity whilst in turret mode it might, /might/ be a bit more useful
I'd much prefer the heavies have strong innate heat dumping capacity, because that makes sense no matter which direction you approach the idea from and it isn't being relegated into being a crutch to prop up a sh_t ability

How about, TURRETED C CLASSES CAN'T OVERHEAT!!!!

In all seriousness though, I would like to see C classes with better heat management capabilities simply because the nature of their strength and weakness, armor and immobility, deems that they be in direct combat for more time than the other mech classes who simultaneously manage heat and reposition themselves.

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on December 10 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Sure thing! :D Thanks for being constructive.
Raider Corsair to replace Brawler's TOW: MAKE IT HAPPEN
BlackSteelBrotherhood
I figured out how to enable friendly fire; get some friends, join a DM, pick team captains, and enjoy :)

#11 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have yet to see why the devs set the heat reserves in the backwards way that they have done
if there was one thing that large mechs should have had dibs on it's the strongest heat dumping capacity, not the worst
it defies any logic I know and love, that's for certain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users