HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A New Recruit's Guide to Teamwork

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Deadly_Peanut

Deadly_Peanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 05:50 AM

yas, sah, leptenant sah!
Posted Image

#22 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted December 24 2013 - 06:10 AM

I enjoyed the movie but as usual, the book was phenomenal.  I don't even know how they came up with the movie from the book; they were that different.  The book was deeply philosophical and the movie was artfully well done cheese.  Obligatory book quote that applies to Hawken:

“Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together.” -Robert Heinlein from Starship Troopers

Edited by driedjello, December 24 2013 - 06:10 AM.

Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#23 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted December 24 2013 - 06:11 AM

After having spent most of tonight playing a new alt account with my brother, I really hope many people read this. The lack of any kind of organized teamwork or strategy was astonishing in several of the games.

Also, I really wish there was a way to make the spoiler tags say "Would you like to know more_" instead of "Spoiler".
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#24 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted December 24 2013 - 07:24 AM

*starts clapping and crying*

It's so...*sniff*...beautiful! *sniff*  Great job Sergeant LoC_TR.  This is quite amusing, I wish I had this info before I was new.

#25 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted December 24 2013 - 10:03 AM

I gotta say this was a great read.  It's all the stuff that normally takes hundred of hours of gameplay (and losses) to figure out on your own.  Topic followed and will be recommended!  Great work LOC!!
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#26 RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 24 2013 - 02:15 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't remember Starship Troopers_  (I saw the movie when I was like 5-6 years old, so I don't remember any of it.)

#27 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted December 24 2013 - 02:26 PM

still learned more from the.
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#28 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted December 24 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostRespawningJesus, on December 24 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't remember Starship Troopers_  (I saw the movie when I was like 5-6 years old, so I don't remember any of it.)

It's worth the watch for the cheese.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#29 MrShade_

MrShade_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 24 2013 - 06:57 PM

I wish I knew more people that appreciates Starship Troopers like you guys do. Truely NPH's greatest acting acomplishment.

#30 deeman010

deeman010

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted December 24 2013 - 07:28 PM

I was such a huge fan! I collected all the comics, watched the TV series religiously; Starship Troopers was my childhood! Such a shame they never finished the animated series, and the last 2 films were kinda fuzzy bunny :( A new animated movie came out though entitled Invasion! I own it on DVD... yeah ....... they don't make movies like that anymore.

#31 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted December 24 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostLoC_TR, on December 24 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

The cheese_ Let's be serious here, Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is nothing less than a crowning achievement in cinema, storytelling, acting, special effects... the list goes on, really. ;)

Edited by Beefsweat, December 24 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Posted Image

#32 NegativeD

NegativeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted December 24 2013 - 07:50 PM

is this the homework you were working on LoC_
Posted Image

#33 MrShade_

MrShade_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 24 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on December 24 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

View PostLoC_TR, on December 24 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

The cheese_ Let's be serious here, Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is nothing less than a crowning achievement in cinema, storytelling, acting, special effects... the list goes on, really. ;)

The special effects were awesome and the bugs are one of my favorite alien monsters in cinema, second only to the Xenomorphs.

#34 x9x8x7x

x9x8x7x

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted December 25 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks LoC! Heinlein wrote the first thee SF books I read as a youth and Starship Troopers was one of them. I am a huge fan myself and very well done!

#35 Deadly_Peanut

Deadly_Peanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 06:01 AM

you poor thing... better get up to date, sonny... rico, the prettiest soldier in the universe... boy is a lot better looking than his hot girlfriend.
Posted Image

#36 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted December 29 2013 - 12:57 AM

shhh i'm bumping cause i'm fragile.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#37 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 08:33 AM

Wait... wasn't starship troopers set in a fascistic dystopia_

Back in those days when dystopia was made with humor and didn't involve teenage crybabies_XD

(Barney as psychic nazidoctor was pretty epic... and disturbing.XD)

Back in topic... remember, children: if you have a Brawler in your team, don't just run away like crazy rabbits leaving it alone. It can be a great asset to the fight, if you make the enemy come to the BIG TRUCK.

And if you are on siege, remember this Theorem:

Victory <=> Putting a Brawler under the AA.

Once it reaches AA, the enemy won't take it away. Even if they 4v1 the BIG TRUCK and manage to destroy it, they'll give you enough time to clean up.

Closed point limiting movement in all three dimension (sayonara jumping zerker bunny^^) and plenty of cover makes three things count: armor, DPS, and burst capability. Thus (Flak) Brawler is boss. Q.E.D.

Edited by redslion, December 29 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#38 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted December 29 2013 - 09:08 AM

The book was a lot less fascist. The main character left his ganja box behind not because it was illegal, but because of air filtration requirements. He is practically molested by a female trooper because sexes are so equal, and near the end there is a great critique of our current military with special honorifics for soldiers who never actually see combat.

Regular citizens are free to not join the military, but voting is a right earned by service, so many do rather than just freeload as a 'comfort class' citizen.

Oh yeah, great content of the post as well. I needed a couple of those reminders. Lately there has been so little teamwork on the field that I confess I have gone rogue quite often lately.

Edited by Wasabi_Wei, December 29 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#39 redslion

redslion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted December 29 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostWasabi_Wei, on December 29 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

The book was a lot less fascist. The main character left his ganja box behind not because it was illegal, but because of air filtration requirements. He is practically molested by a female trooper because sexes are so equal, and near the end there is a great critique of our current military with special honorifics for soldiers who never actually see combat.

Yeah, i should have made clear I was talking about the movie, which I like even if it's not perfect and always makes me feel uneasy. It's made to make the viewer have fun and feel uncomfortable at the same time, which is a pretty brave and original thing to do. For instance, Verhoeven was inspired by the Wehrmacht during WWII for the uniforms. In the movie it's about small hints (like the sports they play, how the characters act and so on).

Heinlein would have HATED Verhoeven's ideas, and I guess Verhoeven didn't like Heinlein very much.

I mean... I've read the book long time ago, and I admit I don't like what Heinlein likes very much. But I agree what he says makes sense, and is not a dystopia nor fascist.

Edited by redslion, December 29 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#40 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 17 2014 - 11:03 PM

**Updated** Information still valid.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming