HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New guy here, what should I main_

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Sixpips

Sixpips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 13 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hi guys, just found this game with a friend and am eager to say the least! I have read a bit of the wiki on the game and all the mechs seem to offer a wide variety of options.  My preferred play style is high mobility on most mech games in the past (armored core franchise, mech-warrior, etc..) and I was wondering which mech would best suit someone who wants to hover a lot with space bar and juke out those slow moving projectiles ^^.  Thanks for the advice!

#2 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted January 13 2014 - 11:29 PM

Hi. What you describe is an a - class mech. Hovering with slow moving projectiles. Infiltrator maybe_ Or a berserker or scout with heat cannon. Can't say for sure. You need to try that stuff for your self.

#3 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted January 13 2014 - 11:52 PM

If you like armored core and the kiiiiinda lone wolf style (still, use your teammates to accomplish ur murders) try the raider.  It can do the most, and you'll feel the most like a raven.  Get in, do a kill, and if your team isn't backing you up enough, get out.

Edited by comic_sans, January 13 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#4 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted January 14 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostSixpips, on January 13 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Hi guys, just found this game with a friend and am eager to say the least! I have read a bit of the wiki on the game and all the mechs seem to offer a wide variety of options.  My preferred play style is high mobility on most mech games in the past (armored core franchise, mech-warrior, etc..) and I was wondering which mech would best suit someone who wants to hover a lot with space bar and juke out those slow moving projectiles ^^.  Thanks for the advice!

The Berserker and Rocketeer are probably good choices for the "hovering and juking" you like because of the air dynamics.  The Berserker is going to give you the speed (A-Class) but both give you air combat ability. Here are a couple of bullet points from the Ascension patch notes.

"Berserker

A Light Assassination Mech that excels in air combat. It uses quickness and air mobility to rain down fire from above.

Secondary Tuning Systems Available: Fuel Tank, Fuel Generator, Air Dynamics, Suspensions

Rocketeer

A Heavy Defensive mech that specializes in long range suppression. Its air mobility and targeting systems allow it to rain rockets and missiles down from above.

Secondary Tuning Systems Available: Fuel Tanks, Fuel Generator, Air Dynamics, Radar"

In the upcoming changes tuning points will not be available to the pilot. However, that should not change the ability of the Berserker and Rocketeer as described in the notes.  It just means that the mechs will come pre-tuned for those strengths.

The Raider (which I main a lot lately) is quick (Blitz ability) but not very well-suited for aerial combat.  Welcome to the war. :)

Edited by caduceus26, January 14 2014 - 02:06 PM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#5 Sixpips

Sixpips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 09:47 AM

Awesome, thanks for the tips, I've tried the berserker out so far, and it feels like it has a ton of mobility ;)

#6 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted January 14 2014 - 11:30 AM

Also you want to be proficient in at least 3 mechs. Don't focus on any one mech.

#7 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted January 14 2014 - 10:23 PM

^ what he said.  I main A mechs, with one B (the Raider), my game is mobility.  That said, I try to maintain skill in Scout and 'Zerker as well as my Infil and Raider.
Posted Image

#8 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted January 15 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostShadowWarg, on January 14 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Also you want to be proficient in at least 3 mechs. Don't focus on any one mech.

+1, I try to be proficient with at least 1 or 2 mechs of each chassis type (time permitting of course).
Posted Image

#9 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 11:18 AM

Get an infiltrator. You won't regret it.

#10 Sixpips

Sixpips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 04:44 PM

how long does it take to unlock the tier 2 mechs_ I've been playing a good bit last couple days but I'm barely rank 3 with zerker, and I have to max rank it to get the next tier_

#11 evilMonkeyKING

evilMonkeyKING

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 06:14 PM

Scout, Raider, Infiltrator, and the Reaper (if you like sniper to a degree, SS blows with cqc). A air dynamic berzerker ain't to bad too.

Raider is easier to get a lot of kills with follow by a scout.

Pretty much you want something fast so you are not too depended on team support.

Edited by evilMonkeyKING, January 15 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#12 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted January 15 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostSixpips, on January 15 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

how long does it take to unlock the tier 2 mechs_ I've been playing a good bit last couple days but I'm barely rank 3 with zerker, and I have to max rank it to get the next tier_

well there is going to be a new patch arriving next month that will change all of this, i suggest playing the mechs you like and have fun learning the game. It's not worth worrying over right now.

in other news....
I welcome you to the Hawken community and gift this picture of my dog with garlic on its head, as an added bonus there is another stupid dog in the background.
Spoiler

Edited by LoC_TR, January 27 2014 - 01:19 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#13 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted January 15 2014 - 11:11 PM

It really all comes down to play style.

However, it is VERY wise to never limit yourself to 1 mech. Learning how to play all of them will make you a better pilot overall.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#14 pseulak

pseulak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted January 20 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostLoC_TR, on January 15 2014 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostSixpips, on January 15 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

well there is going to be a new patch arriving next month that will change all of this, i suggest playing the mechs you like and have fun learning the game. It's not worth worrying over right now.

in other news....
I welcome you to the Hawken community and gift this picture of my dog with an onion on its head, as an added bonus there is another stupid dog in the background.
Spoiler

LoC, that's garlic, dood. I hear it is the proper seasoning for dog.

#15 ethr

ethr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted February 13 2014 - 07:44 AM

This one.

Posted Image

AKA the recruit.
Posted Image

#16 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted February 22 2014 - 08:53 AM

If you want someone with high mobility stick with A class.

Scout is the fastest but has the least amount of armor. Other than Heat Cannon, it is a close range mech so learning how to move and duel is important. This mech is a very much oriented toward burst damage.

Second is the infil. This is more of an indirect fighter (but you can go head on if you are smart) and has great corner fighting. It also has great range if used with heat or assault cannon. Coupled with the cloaking ability (and used at the right moment) it is a formidable mech for anyone when played well. Plus it can stay in the air for a while.

Berskerer is the next choice. It is a great mech but you gotta be able to maintain fire on an enemy and expose yourself to fire. Being a direct line of site play style makes you more vulnerable but it has the best air mobility. Couple this with a Point-D and you got a cheese shredder on your hands. However, this is a tough mech to play sometimes.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#17 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 22 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on February 22 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

If you want someone with high mobility stick with A class.

Scout is the fastest but has the least amount of armor. Other than Heat Cannon, it is a close range mech so learning how to move and duel is important. This mech is a very much oriented toward burst damage.

Second is the infil. This is more of an indirect fighter (but you can go head on if you are smart) and has great corner fighting. It also has great range if used with heat or assault cannon. Coupled with the cloaking ability (and used at the right moment) it is a formidable mech for anyone when played well. Plus it can stay in the air for a while.

Berskerer is the next choice. It is a great mech but you gotta be able to maintain fire on an enemy and expose yourself to fire. Being a direct line of site play style makes you more vulnerable but it has the best air mobility. Couple this with a Point-D and you got a cheese shredder on your hands. However, this is a tough mech to play sometimes.

I've often said that if you master the Infil, you've mastered everything Hawken.  The Berserker is a natural step away from the Assault/CRT duo, and a good alternative to Scout.  If you can play with the Art of Movement foremost, and plan your escape route before your assault route, Raider is very nimble for a B-class with great burst - but 'runs out' of everything quickly, hence the need for planning.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users