HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Adjustments to the Progression System

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#1 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCruise Ship, Stern

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image

Greetings pilots!

For the past few months, we've been placing a major focus on improving the accessibility and balance of HAWKEN. In order to achieve these improvements, we are making some significant changes. In this article, we'll take a look at the adjustments we've made to our progression system. You should know that community feedback was a major factor in these changes and helped us a great deal.

Please note that these changes are still in development and our goal is to include them in our next major update. This is not all that is coming to the game, more details will be rolled out over the coming weeks but this is a high level view of some changes that has a big impact on the rest of what's coming.

Pilot Progression and Matchmaking

Our matchmaking system is undergoing some revisions and we hope to roll out the changes to you soon. Part of this change will include putting a primary emphasis on Pilot Skill instead of Pilot Progression when finding quality matches for players. Pilot Progression is more of a system for unlocking new item, internal and cosmetic options. It will still effect matchmaking to a certain degree, but not to the extent it does currently. More information on our changes to matchmaking will be coming in the near future.

Reworking Mech Ranks

Mech ranks are another feature that received some adjustment. Instead of acting as a monetized gating system, mech ranks will simply act as a representation of your play time with a mech and an avenue for unlocking cool customizations and weapon options. The ability to purchase ability upgrades has also been removed.

Removal of Tuning Points

Another major change is our decision to remove Tuning Points from being used by players. Now, each mech's strength will be determined ahead of time and will not change as a pilot progresses.  Instead of being required to advance through pilot progression to acquire tuning points, players will have access to a fully balanced experience right out of the gate. The system still exists and we're able to use it in the background to really balance out each mech but it will no longer be something that players add points to over time.

Removal of Mech Unlocks

Since we've removed the ability to purchase mech ranks, we're also removing the free mech unlock that players would receive after reaching max rank. The reasoning behind this is simply based on monetization and economy. Previously, the cost of mech ranks contributed to the total cost of a single mech. This enabled us to provide mech unlocks to those that reached max mech rank. Now that mech ranks no longer have a cost associated with them, mech unlocks have been removed and the cost of each mech has been adjusted accordingly.

Return of Mech Test Drives

With the removal of mech unlocks, we needed a way to enable access to a variety of mechs. The solution is the return of mech test drives. When a new player experiences HAWKEN, we want them to immediately be able to obtain an understanding of what HAWKEN is as well as help them find the mechs that will suit them best. For these reasons we will have a rotation of several mechs available to play for free each week. This way, new players will have a number of different mechs to choose from right away. This is an improved system over what we had previously in the game and will give us greater test drive options for the player in moving forward.

Summary

We learned a lot from our current progression system. It gave us a wealth of data that we studied alongside community opinion in order to help us decide what would benefit the game the most. Ultimately, we decided that major adjustments were needed in order to achieve our goals. We appreciate the feedback that was given regarding progression and found it immensely helpful to our design process. More information on our next major update will be coming soon. In the meantime, we'll see you on the battlefield!

Click here to view the article

Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song.

@ZamboniChaos

#2 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:32 PM

Want to say really looking forward to this.

I'm sure many people have a lot of questions about player tuning being removed so I'm just going to ask.

With the removal of the option to tune on the player's side, does this mean Hawken's customization aspect is moving more towards something like what warframe did with it's mods system_ That is to say, having all adjustments on our personal classes being purely determined by a large library of unique internals, stat changing internals and items options_ Will there even be stat changing internals that do what tuning does now (up this, decrease that) at all_

WHOO HOO. I'M FIRST FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Edited by ShadowWarg, January 08 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#3 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:38 PM

Nice.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#4 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:47 PM

Sounds good!

I kind of wish the tuning system would become more of a horizontal perks and flaws kind of system like this, or these. But I think not having it at all is better than it is now.

I am really glad that mech ranks will not cost HC any more as well. It was not really fun to unlock a new rank, only to realize that you still have not earned it yet. And having an XP boost without an HC boost would make this problem even worse.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#5 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:47 PM

Tip of the iceberg, which makes Hawken even that much more enjoyable. IT JUST CANNOT COME ANY SOONER

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#6 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:50 PM

I can't WAIT for these changes! :D

Posted Image

#7 MrShade_

MrShade_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:53 PM

I totally did not see that coming at all. They are usually so stubborn about completely removing any features they have added. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by MrShade_, January 08 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#8 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:53 PM

Will wait and see; I'd rather they kept the tuning system but gave everyone 30 points at start...
For example, my Grenadier doesn't max out Cooling units but maxes suspensions to get back in cover.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#9 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:08 PM

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on January 08 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Posted ImagePart of this change will include putting a primary emphasis on Pilot Skill instead of Pilot Progression when finding quality matches for players

Now, each mech's strength will be determined ahead of time and will not change as a pilot progresses
Instead of being required to advance through pilot progression to acquire tuning points, players will have access to a fully balanced experience right out of the gate.
The system still exists and we're able to use it in the background to really balance out each mech

I interpret this as:

Player progression will be compensated or subsidized based on player skill.
The mech however will play the same.

Lower level players will be harder to kill due to damage reductions from higher players
Higher level players will be easier to kill due to damage bonuses for lower level players.
We will be controlling this server side.
This will result in a skills balance between higher and lower players.

Competency is up to you...

Basically I see this as a rollback to summer 2013's type system.
I only hope it will be an improvement and not another bombed path.
We'll have to wait and see...

I missed the cockpit tonight I hope it will be posted soon so I can watch the replay.

Edited by Spliff_Craven, January 08 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#10 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:09 PM

Sounds lovely.  Different, but I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.  I got faith in Xac's liking the new build, whatever it is.

#11 tek1

tek1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBavaria

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:17 PM

Removal of Tuning Points
Another major change is our decision to remove Tuning Points from being used by players.

Am I the only one here who thinks this one sucks_
So every Berserker has the exact same tunings points set by the devs and the palyer isn't able to customise it to their own playstyle_
Just do it as DFTR suggested:

View PostDFTR, on January 08 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

... gave everyone 30 points at start...
For example, my Grenadier doesn't max out Cooling units but maxes suspensions to get back in cover.

Also, if the matchmaking relys on the pilot skill and not on the pilot lvl, but the pilot lvl is still used to unlock items and internals, the balancing still is bad. A lvl 30 with fully unlocked items/internals will still have a huge advantage over a lvl 5 even if their skill is more or less equal.

Reworking Mech Ranks
Mech ranks are another feature that received some adjustment. ...
The ability to purchase ability upgrades has also been removed.

I hope these ability upgrades will still exist as they are very fun on a lot of mechs:
- Scout/Infiltrator gets huge speed bonus for some time
- Raider/Reaper get accuracy bonus
etc.

Please don't take the mech-customisation part away from the players - that is one of the best things in Hawken. I really liked it when you introduced the advanced items and internals feature (before that - you could only equip one offensive and one defensive item).

Edited by tek1, January 08 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#12 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on January 08 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

I missed the cockpit tonight I hope it will be posted soon so I can watch the replay.

Well, here you go!

http://www.twitch.tv...ckpit/c/3518273

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#13 Xtratega

Xtratega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

Meanwhile at ADH.

That's a feely feel that you need to feel to understand how it feels, bro.

Twitter

#14 Lucier

Lucier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:27 PM

I like that the gap between new players and old players is being decreased, but I am also wary of the loss of customization. The example of air dynamics berserker being the optimal build for berserker was given on the Cockpit, but not everyone agrees with that.

RE: the removal of mech rank/upgrade costs, will people be getting refunded in HC for anything already purchased_

Edited by Lucier, January 08 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#15 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I think most of us liked tuning options, just not the steep difference b/w new and 30 level pilots.  

It sounds like the Aerodynamics will be improved; so Beserker may be better in the air... but maybe you prefer not to play an airzerker but want to play peek-a-boo a bit etc.  

For my Grenadier, I suspect it'll be pigeon-holed into a spamming/support mech... whereas I used to try to play and improve in DM/dueling using my Grenadier.  

Again, will wait and see how this all goes into place w/ everything else.  I'm wary though that they're taking a hammer to fix a system that just needs a simple tweak.  Kind of like how they killed DM.
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#16 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image

#17 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on January 08 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

Part of this change will include putting a primary emphasis on Pilot Skill instead of Pilot Progression when finding quality matches for players

Now, each mech's strength will be determined ahead of time and will not change as a pilot progresses
Instead of being required to advance through pilot progression to acquire tuning points, players will have access to a fully balanced experience right out of the gate.
The system still exists and we're able to use it in the background to really balance out each mech

Player progression will be compensated or subsidized based on player skill.
The mech however will play the same.

Lower level players will be harder to kill due to damage reductions from higher players
Higher level players will be easier to kill due to damage bonuses for lower level players.
We will be controlling this server side.
This will result in a skills balance between higher and lower players.

Huh_ That's completely different from how I interpreted it.  I think all it's referring to is the mech's strengths not growing over time due to earning more tuning points as you level up in pilot rank.  In other words a mech's strength will only increase as a pilot gets better at playing the mech.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#18 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:43 PM

mech test drives

mech test drives

mech test drives

mech test drives

mech test drives

(the tradition is back :D)

"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#19 yellowbronco

yellowbronco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach Va USA

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:47 PM

Sounds great! so does this mean I can now sell back the 10 tech's and other extra mech's I have cluttering up my garage_
Posted Image

Win 8.1Pro(x64), ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 MB, 3.10 gigahertz AMD FX-8120Eight-CoreBlack CPU, 11481.01Gb storage, 20gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 7870 graphics, ASUS VE27" , Samsung 24" & InsigniaNS-32" Monitors, Enclosure- UFO clear

#20 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted January 08 2014 - 10:03 PM

GOOD NEWS

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users