HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"Hawken" star citizen

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida, USA

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:30 PM

according to research, i can't run this game. ill keep my eye out tho.

Posted Image

#42 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 02:15 PM

I have herd of it sonds like another game tho...

#43 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:04 PM

View Postcamtheking20, on June 02 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

I have herd of it sonds like another game tho...
Freelancer_ I think at least one of the lead people also worked on Freelancer.

#44 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostConquistador, on May 30 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostRedVan, on February 09 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

make a hawken community one :)  I'm in one currently, so I can test and see if it'll allow multiple orgs

Red, I notice your clan has some really established history dating all the way back to Unreal 2. Were you one of the original members_ If so, you've been playing together a hell of a long time!

Sadly, I was not an original member.  I was too busy being a noob playing Tribes when I could have been playing UT2 lol.  I joined in....  well, when they were playing Fallen Empire: Legions...  2008 or so.  So, still a long time, but not that long lol

As for playing AC:
I'm not sure how they opening up servers.  I think it has to do with your date of backing.  IE:  First people who backed will get in first, then they add more as they stress test the servers.  https://robertsspace...faq/alpha-slots  also  https://forums.rober...cussion/118982/

Official word:  Not Tonight

Edited by RedVan, June 02 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#45 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:29 PM

after doing some further research, i thought this game was inline with some of the old space sims, but it seems more like EVE... ships costing $100s of dollars__ i suppose since the game isnt out the market is still being balanced, but from what im reading around, you need insurance and what not. which means if ur ship blows up its gone, then you have to grind for 10s of hours to get another one.... sounds like a F2P game set up but with a $60 retail price tag...

im not insulting the game, just observing. I understand there should be things to work towards. and i am really thinking about this like an RPG set up. you dont beat the game with the weapons you start with, you grind up your level to make more money to beat bigger/badder montsers with better weapons. its all progressive, but if i spent a fuzzy bunny ton of money on a ship, then 5 ding-bats blow me up and its gone forever, i would imagine never wanting to play again...

now if it was say, a 6 hour timer till that ship came back, then it might not be so bad, you (hopefully) have another ship.

for those of you who have access to the hanger and what not, am i far off___

Posted Image

#46 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationAt the back of the North Wind

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostAudible_Silence, on June 02 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

now if it was say, a 6 hour timer till that ship came back, then it might not be so bad, you (hopefully) have another ship.

Unfortunately... early backers had access to this "timer". It's a mechanic called LTI (lifetime insurance) that is no longer offered to new backers.

The problem is they want to model an incredibly deep galactic economy, of which scarcity is an important part. So the loss of assets is actively designed to help that model function. If ships were thrown into a  meat grinder only to re-appear, the economic model they were aiming to build would collapse.

If anything, I would describe Star Citizen to be more like DayZ than EVE. EVE is an RPG with its stats, min-maxing and vertical progression systems. Like DayZ, Star Citizen "progression" is all about personal skill coupled with luck and fielding the right equipment.

Minus the space zombies, of course.

P.S. - The cheapest ship package is $30 dollars (not 60), which isn't too bad for retail. https://robertsspace...e/315-aurora-mr
Posted Image

#47 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 06:00 PM

View PostConquistador, on June 02 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

Unfortunately... early backers had access to this "timer". It's a mechanic called LTI (lifetime insurance) that is no longer offered to new backers.

The problem is they want to model an incredibly deep galactic economy, of which scarcity is an important part. So the loss of assets is actively designed to help that model function. If ships were thrown into a  meat grinder only to re-appear, the economic model they were aiming to build would collapse.

If anything, I would describe Star Citizen to be more like DayZ than EVE. EVE is an RPG with its stats, min-maxing and vertical progression systems. Like DayZ, Star Citizen "progression" is all about personal skill coupled with luck and fielding the right equipment.

P.S. - The cheapest ship package is $30 dollars (not 60), which isn't too bad for retail. https://robertsspace...e/315-aurora-mr

so this insurance, when the game kicks off... is more cost__ again i understand what its trying to do with the economy, im just discussing balance and how i can see people getting upset. I see how you compare to dayZ, and i can say that i have no played it, i have watched friends play it and see there frustration when they die and lose progression.

again i suppose it just comes down to how they balance things. if i grinded for a month, put all kinds of weapons and engines on a new ship, and then got blown up a few minutes later, leading me to start all the way at square one, i would definitely punch my computer screen and swear off PC games for a while lol. but if i just lost the ship and could recoup my money quicker because i have access to higher jobs/missions, might not sting so bad. of course i suppose that where multiple ships come in... guess the other factor is how quickly money is gained.

as far as the $30 ship. apparently that is for early backers, or as i looks at it, pre-order. it is stated all the ships are being sold at a big discount. the $30 ship will cost $60 when the game launches to retail, and most ships will be roughly x3 the price they are now. so it is a very big advantage to buy some ships now. i guess there is a ship that costs 225000 credits currently, it was stated that after the game launches the ship may cost over $400.

i would post the links but i closed all the windows. i read it on Reddit which linked to the official site.

I am also looking into that Elite:dangerous game that somebody mentioned, but there is less info on that one.

Edited by Audible_Silence, June 02 2014 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image

#48 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 06:41 PM

From the sounds of it, those who don't want to spend a dime on the game aren't going to have a huge grind, and everyone will have access to the same stuff, so no P2W.

#49 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostAudible_Silence, on June 02 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

View PostConquistador, on June 02 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

so this insurance, when the game kicks off... is more cost__ again i understand what its trying to do with the economy, im just discussing balance and how i can see people getting upset. I see how you compare to dayZ, and i can say that i have no played it, i have watched friends play it and see there frustration when they die and lose progression.

again i suppose it just comes down to how they balance things. if i grinded for a month, put all kinds of weapons and engines on a new ship, and then got blown up a few minutes later, leading me to start all the way at square one, i would definitely punch my computer screen and swear off PC games for a while lol. but if i just lost the ship and could recoup my money quicker because i have access to higher jobs/missions, might not sting so bad. of course i suppose that where multiple ships come in... guess the other factor is how quickly money is gained.

as far as the $30 ship. apparently that is for early backers, or as i looks at it, pre-order. it is stated all the ships are being sold at a big discount. the $30 ship will cost $60 when the game launches to retail, and most ships will be roughly x3 the price they are now. so it is a very big advantage to buy some ships now. i guess there is a ship that costs 225000 credits currently, it was stated that after the game launches the ship may cost over $400.

i would post the links but i closed all the windows. i read it on Reddit which linked to the official site.

I am also looking into that Elite:dangerous game that somebody mentioned, but there is less info on that one.

Holy fuzzy bunny, in a time where people wait for Steam sales, get free games with Playstation plus or game with Gold on Xbox live, and lets not forget about the F2P craze they think gamers are going to pay $400 for a video game space ship that also need insurance_ Good god this might just be crazy enough to work...or tank miserably...or get an economy revision shortly after release lol.

#50 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 05:08 AM

So has anyone played the game yet_ Opinions_

#51 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 07:07 AM

Arena Commander is a go. I expect streams all throughout the day.

Also, I'll just leave this here: https://robertsspace...-Guide-V0-8.pdf

Edited by Conquistador, June 04 2014 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted June 04 2014 - 12:40 PM

oh man, just reading that PDF excites me. cant wait to get home from work and watch some streams.

please post performance for your PC set up since the requirements are so vague.

just read somebody is running the game on med settings with a gforce 550ti. so thats some info.

Edited by Audible_Silence, June 04 2014 - 01:06 PM.

Posted Image

#53 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 03:07 PM

after doing some further research, i thought this game was inline with some of the old space sims, but it seems more like EVE... ships costing $100s of dollars__ i suppose since the game isnt out the market is still being balanced, but from what im reading around, you need insurance and what not. which means if ur ship blows up its gone, then you have to grind for 10s of hours to get another one.... sounds like a F2P game set up but with a $60 retail price tag...

im not insulting the game, just observing. I understand there should be things to work towards. and i am really thinking about this like an RPG set up. you dont beat the game with the weapons you start with, you grind up your level to make more money to beat bigger/badder montsers with better weapons. its all progressive, but if i spent a fuzzy bunny ton of money on a ship, then 5 ding-bats blow me up and its gone forever, i would imagine never wanting to play again...

Yea it sunds like eve

#54 Conquistador

Conquistador

Holy Roman Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:52 AM

View Postcamtheking20, on June 05 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Yea it sunds like eve

But without the year-long grind it takes to fly a higher-tier ship!

If you have one you can fly it from the get-go. (Instead of putting points into real time skill tree rpg progression.)

Edited by Conquistador, June 06 2014 - 06:53 AM.

Posted Image

#55 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted June 06 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostDreamedArtist, on May 28 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Got my ship the one in the video below.
https://robertsspace.../about-the-game

Ohmygosh! I'm totally hyped for this now!

Where can I pick up a ship_ ^_^

#56 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 06 2014 - 10:48 AM

I can't say I'm sold on Star Citizen mind. It feels like with the amount of money they received and the time they've had since the Kickstarter, a LOT more progress should have been made on the game-play front. RSI seems more interested in making everything look fantastic and shiny before they get a working game, which seems like a bit of misplaced priorities.
Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#57 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:51 AM

Bottom line, be careful with all these alpha / beta / early access games. These companies are getting a TON of cash for an idea and a trailer. Once you sit down and think about it, this new wave of early access games are so silly. You pay to test an an unfinished product that the company will later go on to sell and make more money off of lol. And by the time the product is (released) you'll be burnt out, maybe not even care about it anymore, or it may never even make it to market and or it does and it still sucks and flops. :lol:

I wish I was so business savy, get people to pay you to test a product you plan to sell to the masses. FCKING BRILLIANT!

#58 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted June 06 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on June 06 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Bottom line, be careful with all these alpha / beta / early access games. These companies are getting a TON of cash for an idea and a trailer. Once you sit down and think about it, this new wave of early access games are so silly. You pay to test an an unfinished product that the company will later go on to sell and make more money off of lol. And by the time the product is (released) you'll be burnt out, maybe not even care about it anymore, or it may never even make it to market and or it does and it still sucks and flops. :lol:

I wish I was so business savy, get people to pay you to test a product you plan to sell to the masses. FCKING BRILLIANT!

Yup

Posted Image

#59 Audible_Silence

Audible_Silence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on June 06 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

it really is. i was explaining it to my dad, as we are business owners, and he remember wing commander in the early 90s. He is NOT a gamer, he never got past NES (too many buttons on the super NES lol). He understand beta testing as i have done for other games. when i told him about the whole pay for a plane to get access to an alpha, (and explained what an alpha was) he said, "so do they give you stock in the company or something_"  i also thinks its assinine to PAY to play a game that is years before its finished. you are doing to company a favor by helping them test a game without them paying you as an employee. companies used ot be happy if people played their bree Betas, but now they want to to PAY to play an ALPHA!!!!  it's pretty crazy... from a business stand point.

Posted Image

#60 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 06 2014 - 12:59 PM

To be fair the terms of alpha and beta have been skewed so much now. Heroes of the Storm is marketing itself as an "alpha" when the game is feature complete and in a better state than a hell of a lot of Betas. The terms have become marketing buzzwords and lost all meaning, it's just to make the consumer thing they're special and have so much importance in the game's development when really they're just playing a demo / unfinished title

Edited by Kvalheim, June 06 2014 - 01:00 PM.

Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users