HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Damage items

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:13 AM

With the nerf of repair charge and shield rework, it seems that defensive items have taken a hit.  Repair charges have an arming time, and shields can't be fired out of anymore.  I like these changes.

What I don't like is the Detonator/HE Charge.  HE less so, but it's still worth noting.  The Detonator has always been incredibly reliable.  It's like a slow-firing TOW with a massive radius.  Slightly less damage, but still enough to cause for concern.  

The problem with damage items in Hawken is that they're too reliable.  They offer too much of a benefit with no drawback.  

In Battlefield, grenades have to be swapped to and thrown.  Doing so disables the use of weapons while the grenade is being prepped/thrown.  In Hawken, Detonators can be fired in conjunction with the user's weapons.  With TTK being this low, damage items may need to go (for balance sake).  Insta-gibbs are too easy, and the detonator is partly to blame.  

Thoughts_
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#2 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:15 AM

well that's the new meta

*equips det on all mechs*

- lok'tar ogar -

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:18 AM

Everyone is now playing snipers , EXPLAIN !

Posted Image

#4 Ysenberg

Ysenberg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:12 AM

Performing rainchecks from a distance_

[font=times new roman', times, serif]O Lord, bless this Thy holy grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.[/font]

[font=times new roman', times, serif]  Grenadiers do it around the corner...^^ [/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]W[/font][font=comic sans ms', cursive]andering guns #103: [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ysenberg[/font][/font]

#5 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:53 AM

Already posted it here, but anyway... I have nothing against HE-Charge. I can put it in one row with EMP and ISM Disruptor; all of them have almost similar mechanics and require some skill to use it efficienly. Moreover maybe they all became kinda situational items after the patch. But the Detonator really outstands since it's introduction.

Edit: typos

Edited by LarryLaffer, February 06 2014 - 01:55 AM.

WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#6 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 05:41 AM

Ever since the Detonator first arrived it was quite clear that it would outshine the HE in every measureable practical regard.  And lo, it did.  …And remained so.  …Even to this day.

I was okay with direct damage projectile items when HE was the only option, it was (and still is) a rather tricky lump of metal to land after all; however, as predicted, the Detonator turned out to be too easy, too effective, and contributed in no small way to the dreaded insta-kill alpha-strike.  In this new patch the much lower health pools have dredged the muddy spectre of insta-kill alpha-strikes back to the surface, commensurate with questions about the appropriateness of the Detonator design.

Suggestion: I would prefer that the HE returns to being the only direct damage projectile item in the game.  The Detonator should lose its direct damage projectile status in favour of something utilitarian, such as some sort of remotely detonated rocket-propelled limpet mine.

EDIT: De-spackification.

Edited by defekt, February 06 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#7 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted February 07 2014 - 07:40 AM

The detonator can be reworked so that it works like the ISM/EMP.

Edited by shosca, February 07 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#8 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2014 - 07:21 AM

I'd just as soon see damage items go out the door.
It would actually go a significant way in alleviating TTK problems.

Or...

I think I've mentioned this before, but just turn the Det into what most shooters advertise as C4, a sticky, remote detonated explosive.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 11 2014 - 11:04 AM

no like

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#10 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 11:20 AM

I really wouldn't mind simply getting rid of both of those items.

#11 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 05:57 AM

I would shed no tears if both those items took a long walk off a short pier

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#12 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 04:56 PM

Detonator and Repair Charge are still top tier items. Especially with limited use items. You only have a few shots now, so you're going to need something that can affect combat the most in one shot.

I would rather have the Detonator be a no damage knockback. And the Repair Charge... I have no idea.

Edited by HugeGuts, February 15 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#13 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 15 2014 - 05:33 PM

Back in Alpha, when I originally read the explanation of Detonator, it sounded like a device you could actually control the flight of. I was pretty disappointed that that's not how it works. That would be a situation where a user is left temporarily vulnerable in order to fly around their det and it could also be used as a scouting device.

Posted Image

#14 Elladan

Elladan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 03:59 PM

imo det is good atm (okey, okey its actually all reliable long range dps on my vanguard lol I'm subjective here :P)

about drawbacks...

you know by default keybinds you need to get your hand from "wasd" buttons and push that "1" button in order to launch and press it second time in order to detonate prematurely - and that means you can't make a dodge same time.... and It need some pracice to not use it like me "launch it freeze with all mech for a while it will coame to the best place and detonate it" :)

haven't actually used HE charge so....
"There are only 10 types of people: those who konws, binary, those who don't and those whoa were not expecting a jok about tetriary...."

"cause I am the VANGUARD"[pic W.I.P here]

#15 RipperT

RipperT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationEarth, last time I checked

Posted February 16 2014 - 08:14 PM

@Elladan; My detonator is tied to an extra mouse button, sooooo that kind of leaves a hole in your theory.

#16 Elladan

Elladan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostRipperT, on February 16 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

@Elladan; My detonator is tied to an extra mouse button, sooooo that kind of leaves a hole in your theory.

thats why I mentioned default binding :)
yeah wanted to do the same just I'm too lazy for that :D

anyway You need to use it smarter than freezing in place and looking when it will reach best place to detonate :D
"There are only 10 types of people: those who konws, binary, those who don't and those whoa were not expecting a jok about tetriary...."

"cause I am the VANGUARD"[pic W.I.P here]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users