HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Quality-of-life scripts

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 SlugBug

SlugBug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted February 20 2014 - 07:09 AM

So, yeah, as others have said, PLEASE DON"T DO THIS. The AM-SAR is semi-auto for a reason, that's just how the weapon is supposed to work; so you can pick your shots.  If you want an auto-fire weapon, use the Hawkins-RPR.  The idea is not to just spam bullets with a sharpshooter class, but to aim then shoot for maximum effectiveness and heat management.  This is not like other FPS games where a couple seconds of machine gun fire will take down your target.  Be deliberate with your shots.

As for the sniping zoom changes you've proposed, they seem much more convoluted and inconsistent with the default Hawken control style.  MMB is used for zoom for SS and for lock-on with Rocketeer.  If you learn to use the MMB, you'll be adept at both mechs since this control will no longer be foreign to you.  I know of some players re-binding their zoom to the "Q" and "E" keys since their fingers are right there anyway for movement.  Quick-scoping also isn't really super necessary in this game.  It's not like you can quick-scope in and headshot your enemy and scope out.  Usually, you want to be scoped in until you've killed your opponent (which can take more than two seconds) or he's run away out of view.

For TOW/GL detonation, yes you have to have near perfect timing, that's called a SKILL and it's something you pick up by playing the game, there are no shortcuts here.  Practice in the offline training modes if you must.

It seems a lot more work to make these macro changes and learn to use them than to just learn the default controls.  Maybe reset your controls to default and give it an earnest try.  

Come on guy, you've posted in "Strategy and Tactics", let's use them.

Also, what did you mean by comboing flak and sabot....

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Sure! The following script is for snipers. It is meant for comboing two burst weapons like flak and sabot rifles on Reaper.
-snip-

Reaper doesn't have the flak cannon. I'm guessing you probably meant Slug Rifle and Sabot.

#22 Invect

Invect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostSlugBug, on February 20 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

The idea is not to just spam bullets with a sharpshooter class, but to aim then shoot for maximum effectiveness and heat management.  This is not like other FPS games where a couple seconds of machine gun fire will take down your target.  Be deliberate with your shots.
Hang on, why isn't spam fire a good idea_ If you compare this sniping in other shooters:
  • Targets are larger
  • Targets move slower and less erratically
  • Flat damage across hitboxes: no critical "headshot" mechanic exists
  • Each shot does much less damage as a percentage of overall health
  • Recoil-less fire with a tight spread pattern even while moving
I don't know about you, but if my weapon was accurate (and it is at mid-range), I'd want as much lead downrange as fast as possible. And then there's Precision Overdrive which removes accuracy from the equation for a short amount of time.

Also, be careful when telling people what keys to use to play their game. There are wizards out there.

#23 Misaniovent

Misaniovent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 11:58 AM

Weapons are balanced based on their fire modes and controls and that using AHK to change them significantly is cheating, plain and simple. Less of an issue with airburst weapons but definitely a major, major issue if you create a script for AM-SAR.

If you don't think creating a macro that effectively makes that weapon (or any other semi-automatic weapon) fully automatic is cheating, then you are bad for this community and I hope to see you gone.

#24 forivall

forivall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostMisaniovent, on February 20 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Weapons are balanced based on their fire modes and controls and that using AHK to change them significantly is cheating, plain and simple. Less of an issue with airburst weapons but definitely a major, major issue if you create a script for AM-SAR.

If you don't think creating a macro that effectively makes that weapon (or any other semi-automatic weapon) fully automatic is cheating, then you are bad for this community and I hope to see you gone.

You see, this problem happened with tf2. The pistol's fire rate used to be based on click rate too, and then valve eventually changed it to fire at a fixed rate. Nobody got banned for using key toggles. For dota allstars, there used to be an ahk program called warkeys that improved the keymapping of skills. And guess what happened there_ In dota 2, that's what the default keymap is. Yay progress.

Oh yeah, I found using shift to dodge and 180 kind of annoying. So guess what I did_ It's like double-tap, but split out into separate keys.

Edited by forivall, March 28 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#25 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted March 31 2014 - 05:54 PM

What kind of mechs do you people use_ Autohotkey-ing seems legit for anything that doesn't have a high power weapon, mechs like the Reaper *cough cough* could benefit from a dual shot button (I mean firing second and primary at sametime). This would also depend on the weapon selection. The AM-SAR was designed to be semi-aut, not full aut, so that is cheating (but if you make it three shot semi-aut like a real world semi-aut weapon, then that's efficient without being overpowering). Also the same-time fire hotkey would be considered cheating if the Reaper had a slug rifle and a sabot rifle, seeing as both are high range and high damage.

As for other mechs, I dare not say anything, I'm only a humble sniper...

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#26 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'd like to see a hotkey script for a "panic button", the short description for this is that it fires both weapons and launches my #1 item. Since I play as Reaper, this means that the script would attempt to fire the AM-SAR, the Sabot Rifle and the Detonator (any of those not firing would be because of either weapons over heat, reload or the item is depleted).

I only ask for this because there are instances when I'm holed up nice and a heavier mech catches me off guard from behind, and I can't turn and shoot fast enough to have a chance. (Though I realize now that I probably could use the 180-spin to turn faster than manual mouse turn.)

#27 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:32 AM

"quality of life" scripts please. :rolleyes:

"bad-at-games" scripts is closer to the truth when it comes to AHK.

If you need a script for scoping in/out with secondary and primary on a sniper I have less than no respect for you.

From binds to +attack to skilless bhop envy, if you need AHK to keep up in a game because coordinating 3 buttons is overwhelming, you are awful.

We've got Hawken kids who compare 120 degree fov to cheating, but AHK flies_!

Posted Image

#28 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:41 AM

You can make a favor and delete this, these weapons are made to function like that, and I guess [font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Autohotkey i[/font]s banned now.

Posted Image

#29 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on April 02 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

You can make a favor and delete this, these weapons are made to function like that, and I guess [font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Autohotkey i[/font]s banned now.
How can you ban a initialization file_

#30 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostIronClamp, on April 02 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostEliteShooter, on April 02 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

How can you ban a initialization file_

AHK is not a Hawken ini file, it is a third party client that helps terribads macro stunts that they are otherwise incapable of learning.
I don't want to mince words and be misunderstood, it's refuse for garbage players. It has no place in a fair contest of skill.

#31 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 03 2014 - 10:56 AM

Btw, I recently found out using a different button to det gives you more control at long distance, ie if the distance from you to target  is long enough that the travel time for the projectile is longer than the reload of said weapon, then pressing rmb will not detonate, it will fire the newly loaded round, however weapon utility would not lunch a second round, it would detonate the original round. Basically weapon util bound to say middle mouse, or thumb button  would allow you to detonate your air burst at a later time than using RMB.

TLDR use weapon utility binding =  More range on air burst.

#32 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 07:17 AM

View Postcraftydus, on April 02 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

AHK is not a Hawken ini file, ...
I didn't know that.

But still, its a hack, and you can't foolproof any software against good code.

Referring to lack of skill, I agree in full. But if you look at what forivall did and he changed the movement keys to a more convient control scheme for his comfort. So AHK is debatably a ease-of-use tool and a cheater's tool kit. (its subjective)

Also, you can rebind some keys in the Hawken options menu, for example I changed the holo-emote key from the less easily reachable H key to the G key (I think it was the H key, I can't remember, all I know is that the key is now G).

#33 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:03 PM

If you think using an auto-fire script on the AM-SAR is cheating you are full on retarded. The game isn't balanced around how quickly you click, it's balanced around fire rates. If the default fire rate on the AM-SAR is too high then they should lower it, not put some artificial boundary giving a special bonus to people who click the fastest. lmfao.

#34 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:52 PM

I don't think anyone slamming the AM-SAR took that into account (me included).

#35 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:16 AM

Okay so then you're just generally claiming macros as "hacking"_ I could set up the same macros as AHK without adding/modifying any of the games files using some other program

#36 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:25 AM

You are still modifying Hawken so you get a greater advantage than those who doesn`t use these codes!
I`ll fix it later.

#37 Madman01

Madman01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 10:55 AM

the line between cheating and NOT cheating is a thin one, personally I am fine with the now rebound controls and feel pity for you poor fools that need macros to keep up with the rest of us who learn and practice to become good at this. Aregon does raise a good point, at what point does a simple "quality of life" script become a cheat/hack_  I suspect its around where the full auto AM-SAR comes into existance

#38 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted April 06 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just curious--how can AutoHotkey scripts be differentiated from a macro-capable gaming keyboard_
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#39 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 05:15 PM

while I agree that scripts are kinda cheep, there is no real way to enforce hotkeys or macros, keep in mind they do not effect the games code, nor do the provide any serious exploits. btw, the amsam is limited to 3shots per second no matter how hard you click passed it, it even allows for a bit of pre firing delay (hitting the trigger before its finished loading by a slight few frames) and clicking 3times a second is not that hard to do, and if you really struggle with it, you can practice for a few days and be fine. so I dont see any real advantages that the macro would provide you, keeping mind the amsam is locked to a max that is very reachable amout for most players. besides, if your looking at a reaper using one autohot key and one who is not, I doubt you could see the difference. and I suspect that if people got on the pitchforks for this, that a number of real players will get hurt because they praticed to get good enough with it to be able to make the rof all the time. that said, I will use this analgy to help people understand it. in bowling, you can have a ball that has a few tricks up its sleave, (aka really strong or delayed spin) but that wont help you win more then a more skilled bowler who has practiced  a ton.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users