HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Quality-of-life scripts

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:01 PM

Given how wildly different different mech's playstyles and loadouts are, there simply isn't a single control scheme that suits them all. Enter AutoHotkey.

AutoHotkey allows to rebind keys on the fly, but also program advanced macros. While it does have controversial potential for abuse, HAWKEN is not a game that lends itself to abuse through macros. Scripts in here should however improve control ergonomics and level playing field for those without gaming mice.

Sorry I won't create full tutorial on installing and customising the scripts, but there are myriad of ways to get help for this popular software.
Feel free to contribute. I will keep adding useful scripts in the topic.

The following script is for snipers. It is meant for comboing two burst weapons like flak and sabot rifles on Reaper. On Reaper especially cooldown of both weapons is so similar there is rarely a reason NOT to fire both simultanously. This script rebinds LMB to fire both weapons simultaneously and rebinds RMB to zoom for easier quick-scopes ("o" key zooms in my bind). Default behaviour is toggled back with "r" button.

~r::
Suspend,Toggle
return
Burst:
SetMouseDelay -1
Send {LButton}{RButton}
return
LButton:: gosub Burst
RButton:: o

Edited by RemoteRadical, February 18 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#2 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:10 PM

I have never felt like I needed to change any key bindings when switching between multiple different mechs. Why would you need to do this_

Posted Image

#3 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:15 PM

View Postnokari, on February 18 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

I have never felt like I needed to change any key bindings when switching between multiple different mechs. Why would you need to do this_
Well, what key do you use to detonate TOW_ To use airburst function effectivelly you need pefect timing on detonation. Even with a gaming mouse I find that thumb buttons take too much time to reach and wheel button is too slow too. Double- tapping right button is perfect and intuitive.

Just wait till I finish the sniper class script.

Edited by RemoteRadical, February 18 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#4 Paschar

Paschar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:16 PM

#5 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostPaschar, on February 18 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Like explained above, double-tapping RMB for TAW airburst is more comfortable and makes more sense than using separate key.

#6 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

View PostPaschar, on February 18 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Like explained above, double-tapping RMB for TAW airburst is more comfortable and makes more sense than using separate key.

Let's get this straight then, because the default is not separate keys and what you're saying is actually more like using separate keys than one...

Posted Image

#7 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:32 PM

View Postnokari, on February 18 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Let's get this straight then, because the default is not separate keys and what you're saying is actually more like using separate keys than one...

Default is "Secondary Weapon" to shoot and whatever you bound to "Weapon Utility" to detonate. So- two keys. Sorry if previous wording hasn't made clear what I meant.

Edited by RemoteRadical, February 18 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#8 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, what key do you use to detonate TOW_ To use airburst function effectivelly you need pefect timing on detonation. Even with a gaming mouse I find that thumb buttons take too much time to reach and wheel button is too slow too. Double- tapping right button is perfect and intuitive.

Just wait till I finish the sniper class script.

For using the TOW, I shoot with the right button and I detonate with the right button, just as the default is for everybody else. I don't know why that would possibly be hard for someone not using a "gaming" mouse. :huh:
Double-tapping the right button doesn't make sense to me, because it's easier to fuzzy bunny up and takes more time, which can be a frequent crucial mistake.
My mouse is a basic Microsoft Wireless 4000 (which is not a gaming mouse) that has one extra thumb button. I use that for all my weapon utilities. It's right on my thumb, so I don't know how I could possibly not be able to reach it unless I was wildly letting go of my mouse for some dumb reason. For that matter, my middle finger usually hovers over the scroll wheel too, but I only use it for switching between deployables.

Edited by nokari, February 18 2014 - 12:37 PM.

Posted Image

#9 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

View Postnokari, on February 18 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Default is "Secondary Weapon" to shoot and whatever you bound to "Weapon Utility" to detonate. So- two keys. Sorry if previous wording hasn't made clear what I meant.

Umm nope.. Maybe you can also detonate with Weapon Utility, but detonating with the right button has always been the default for the TOW and GL. Otherwise what you're saying would defy every version I've played since Alpha and I know that's not the case. I've always been able to detonate using the same right button.

Edited by nokari, February 18 2014 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image

#10 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 01:33 PM

Haha! All right. I stand corrected.

But in my defence- the tutorial -does- say to use the utility button- that is the same one which zooms in with sniper weapons (middle mouse by default).
And I stuck with it, never questioning, never using RMB.

Sorry for the fuss.

Edited by RemoteRadical, February 18 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#11 CptCoy

CptCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUS East - Florida

Posted February 18 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Haha! All right. I stand corrected.

But in my defence- the tutorial -does- say to use the utility button- that is the same one which zooms in with sniper weapons (middle mouse by default).
And I stuck with it, never questioning, never using RMB.

Sorry for the fuss.

The tutorial didn't tell me that when I just played it a couple days ago. It told me to use the right mouse to fire, and right mouse to detonate, which is the default. Like I have been since.

I didn't even know you could use another key, but I don't see why you would want to either.

I also have no idea what you would need to use macros for in this game, do you have any other examples_ Obviously this one doesn't help any of us understand what this is for.

Edited by CptCoy, February 18 2014 - 05:51 PM.

"Hey Ridley, you got any Beeman's_"
"Yeah, I think I might got me a stick."
"Loan me some will you, I'll pay you back later"

- Cpt. Chuck Yeager / Lt. Jack Ridley, The Right Stuff

#12 RemoteRadical

RemoteRadical

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostCptCoy, on February 18 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I also have no idea what you would need to use macros for in this game, do you have any other examples_ Obviously this one doesn't help any of us understand what this is for.

Sure! The following script is for snipers. It is meant for comboing two burst weapons like flak and sabot rifles on Reaper. On Reaper especially cooldown of both weapons is so similar there is rarely a reason NOT to fire both simultanously. This scrips rebinds LMB to fire both weapons simultaneously and rebinds RMB to zoom for easier quick-scopes ("o" key zooms in my bind). Default behaviour is toggled back with "r" button.

Suspend,Toggle
return
Burst:
SetMouseDelay -1
Send {LButton}{Rbutton} ;
return

Tomorrow I will modify it to change zoom-toggle behaviour to hold-to-zoom, which most advanced players would likely prefer.
Another example is auto-fire script for AM-Sar. Frequent complaint is that it is difficult to track with this weapon because you need to click three times a second. Simple script will change that to full auto. I will post it tomorrow too.
I don't see it coming useful, but macros can have timings that would allow (for instance) to automatically fire semi-automatic weapon at exact time it finishes reloading. Or charging weapons to fire as soon as they are charged.

Edited by RemoteRadical, February 18 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#13 Requiem132

Requiem132

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted February 19 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostRemoteRadical, on February 18 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Sure! The following script is for snipers. It is meant for comboing two burst weapons like flak and sabot rifles on Reaper. On Reaper especially cooldown of both weapons is so similar there is rarely a reason NOT to fire both simultanously. This scrips rebinds LMB to fire both weapons simultaneously and rebinds RMB to zoom for easier quick-scopes ("o" key zooms in my bind). Default behaviour is toggled back with "r" button.

Suspend,Toggle
return
Burst:
SetMouseDelay -1
return

Tomorrow I will modify it to change zoom-toggle behaviour to hold-to-zoom, which most advanced players would likely prefer.
Another example is auto-fire script for AM-Sar. Frequent complaint is that it is difficult to track with this weapon because you need to click three times a second. Simple script will change that to full auto. I will post it tomorrow too.
I don't see it coming useful, but macros can have timings that would allow (for instance) to automatically fire semi-automatic weapon at exact time it finishes reloading. Or charging weapons to fire as soon as they are charged.

STOP DONT MAKE THE AM-SAR SCRIPT! For the love of god no one should be given a fire advantage over a other due to scripts and may even be considered cheating.

Posted Image

[font=comic sans ms', ', cursive]Violent Resolution | -vR. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms', cursive]"When Diplomacy Fails"[/font]
http://vr-gaming.org[font=comic sans ms', cursive] | Multi-Gaming Clan[/font]
[font=comic sans ms', cursive]Looking for Gamers 18+[/font]

#14 Elladan

Elladan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostRequiem132, on February 19 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

stuff and shinies

STOP DONT MAKE THE AM-SAR SCRIPT! For the love of god no one should be given a fire advantage over a other due to scripts and may even be considered cheating.

I agree
"There are only 10 types of people: those who konws, binary, those who don't and those whoa were not expecting a jok about tetriary...."

"cause I am the VANGUARD"[pic W.I.P here]

#15 CptCoy

CptCoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUS East - Florida

Posted February 19 2014 - 11:22 AM

Suspend,Toggle
return
Burst:
SetMouseDelay -1
return

See at this level I would personally consider this cheating.
"Hey Ridley, you got any Beeman's_"
"Yeah, I think I might got me a stick."
"Loan me some will you, I'll pay you back later"

- Cpt. Chuck Yeager / Lt. Jack Ridley, The Right Stuff

#16 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 19 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostCptCoy, on February 19 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

Suspend,Toggle
return
Burst:
SetMouseDelay -1
return

See at this level I would personally consider this cheating.

I agree. That's pretty much cheating. Using third-party software to give yourself an advantage over other players in a game is forbidden.

Posted Image

#17 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted February 19 2014 - 02:51 PM

Macros are cheating in this game. I can think of a few that confer serious advantages that I think I see out there a lot, and shame on those who use them.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#18 Invect

Invect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted February 19 2014 - 03:48 PM

AHK is also good for custom crosshairs. Should be helpful until the devs come up with custom crosshairs (but seeing as the current crosshair is dynamic, I wouldn't count on it)

As for the AM-SAR controversy, just bind primary fire to the mousewheel. Set your mousewheel to activate multiple times per click. Boom. Done.

Or should I say boomboomboomboomboom-

#19 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:17 AM

View PostInvect, on February 19 2014 - 03:48 PM, said:

As for the AM-SAR controversy, just bind primary fire to the mousewheel. Set your mousewheel to activate multiple times per click. Boom. Done.

Or should I say boomboomboomboomboom-

Cunning
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#20 hawken00

hawken00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:53 AM

Autohotkey is banned by many developers now, careful with that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users