HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Would bright thrusters aid in the enemy picking you out_

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hastur609

Hastur609

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hey all, new to HAWKEN, loving it!

Mech of choice at the moment is the Raider, highly mobile, seems to have really good close up burst damage which has meshed so well with my playstyle, and of course it's excellent at enemy flanking.

How does this relate to my topic though_ Well as a flanker, it's my job not to get picked out immediately, I can't have someone spotting the most obvious vibrant thruster trail and thus seeing my play in time to foil it can I_

I want to ask you all if an enemy mechs thrusters have ever actually aided you in spotting them from the side, hunting them down, etc

This question was spurred mainly because I was browsing the cosmetic options and saw all these thrusters we could buy.

Quite a few were very bright and flashy and struck me as something that'd easily make others pick on me first should they appear behind my comrades, should they see me for example, blazing a bright trail of green flames as opposed to maybe something more subtle like the Hotshot or Dneper.

Thoughts_

#2 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:23 PM

The thrusters have colors_ I only see the big giant redbox that I have to hit :)

#3 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:25 PM

No. The color thrusters you have would help or hinder you in the least. When an enemy even so much as looks in your direction and you aren't behind cover you will have a red outline around your mech which can only be missed by a blind person.

#4 Hastur609

Hastur609

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:25 PM

hendman, on February 22 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

The thrusters have colors_ I only see the big giant redbox that I have to hit :)

This is very true, but I didn't really mean to imply that Thruster Appearance would matter when sparks fly in a head to head shootout, I meant it more as would it aid the enemy in potentially spotting you when not locked on from a distance or around a brief corner should your thrusters prove bright enough.

@ Desert_Fox2

But what if you're just getting behind some cover and the enemy looks over to where you were_ Would the thrusters give your changing position away from that cursory glance_

Edited by Hastur609, February 22 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#5 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:37 PM

Even when I can't make out the type of mech you are using because of the distance (sometimes can't even tell there is a mech at all), I can stil see that red box.

#6 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted February 22 2014 - 02:50 PM

The HUD's red box is so big-huge-large that it really outweighs any amount of camouflage cash could otherwise offer you.

That said, I haven't shied away from using low-key thrusters and repair drones on some of my Mechs... I mean, it can't hurt, right_

It was fun while it lasted.

#7 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hastur609, on February 22 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

This is very true, but I didn't really mean to imply that Thruster Appearance would matter when sparks fly in a head to head shootout, I meant it more as would it aid the enemy in potentially spotting you when not locked on from a distance or around a brief corner should your thrusters prove bright enough.

@ Desert_Fox2

But what if you're just getting behind some cover and the enemy looks over to where you were_ Would the thrusters give your changing position away from that cursory glance_

If you are behind cover nothing will show up on the enemies radar or visual view. The only ways you can be found behind cover and come up on the enemies radar are if you shoot, boost, or the enemy has a radar scanner.

#8 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 24 2014 - 01:13 PM

I think bright thrusters on the Raider pre-Steam would only serve to surprise the enemy even worse, with a giant ball of light flying towards them.

This patch though Raider has fallen and can't get back up, the health decrease and weapons nerf has wrecked it.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#9 Fulano2

Fulano2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted August 16 2014 - 08:19 PM

Actually if you hover or boost, every thruster will make you show up on the radar, if you are around. So, does not matter what thruster are you using, I will se a box around you, and fire at the box.

#10 AlphaPanzer01

AlphaPanzer01

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHồ Chí Minh city, VietNam

Posted August 17 2014 - 03:47 AM

My idea____ Nah. all thruster're the same. Th only difference is about cosmetic appearance. Any thrusters will give out the very same consequence: spotted on radar
For VietNam!!!!

#11 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted August 17 2014 - 09:54 AM

In over a year of playing this game I can honestly attest to the fact that "eyeballing" an enemy's thrusters have never attracted my attention as a cue to engage him.  Boosting and showing up on the radar is what gets my attention.

Edited by caduceus26, August 17 2014 - 09:55 AM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#12 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 17 2014 - 10:29 AM

Any time your thrusters are active, you ping the enemy's radar anyways. The only time you really notice thruster colors is when you see it on your teammates or on your enemies in a kill cam. Usually you're too busy fighting to notice thruster colors. And it doesn't really help you spot people from far off since most of the time, your HUD will outline an enemy mech within your line of sight anyways.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#13 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted August 28 2014 - 11:18 AM

the only thrusters i have herd people complain about is the vanguard one because it puts out thick black smoke that can make a small mech look bigger and cause your enemy to shoot the smoke instead of you. Only herd that complaint once though
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#14 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 28 2014 - 01:59 PM

Skrill, on August 28 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

the only thrusters i have herd people complain about is the vanguard one because it puts out thick black smoke that can make a small mech look bigger and cause your enemy to shoot the smoke instead of you. Only herd that complaint once though

Van thrusters are different from the thrusters of other mechs_

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#15 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted August 28 2014 - 02:55 PM

TwentyFirstPilot, on August 28 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

the ones that came with the vanguard initiative are...
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#16 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 28 2014 - 04:17 PM

Skrill, on August 28 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

TwentyFirstPilot, on August 28 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

the ones that came with the vanguard initiative are...

Ah, I see. Thought you were talking abut the regular Van.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#17 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 04:27 PM

I haven't really noticed it myself, but I've had enemy snipers say that the Vanguard Initiative thrusters make my mech easier to pick out from a distance.

I suppose that while the HUD does highlight mechs in your LOS, it's possible that flashy thrusters may make your more of a target, since you'd stand out from a crowd.  As I said, though, I haven't noticed this myself.

Posted Image

#18 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 31 2014 - 10:53 AM

I've used thruster color to quickly ID my target when in a large melee and i'm trying to pick out the high value target (i.e. the tech must die, or i hate _incitatus so much - must kill _incitatus).  

If my target has some thrusters that stand out from the flock then they are slightly easier to pick out for removal.

#19 LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted August 31 2014 - 06:13 PM

I never bother to use thrusters as a determinant for my target selection.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users