HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Hellfire has been nerfed

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 05 2014 - 11:37 PM

View Postthebloodgod0, on March 05 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

When Hellfires suddenly required skills to use in CQC, people starts to whine. Just use it like other secondaries, aim ahead.
That's really not the point. There's a line between skill and impractical.

Edited by Claxus, March 05 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#22 mrvile

mrvile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostClaxus, on March 04 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Of course, I'm speaking mostly for Bruiser here. Rocketeer's true niche is the missiles, and should usually be staying behind the team with them. But what about Bruiser_ His only primary options are machine guns. If he's not fighting up close, he can only use missiles. Midrange is a sweetspot, but it's extremely common to end up in CQC. He can then only really try to kite and shoot angled lock on missiles, which counteracts against his sustained primary.

This is an important distinction to make and I completely agree. When I first started playing I tried using the Bruiser because its weapons seemed noob-friendly, but quickly dropped it for the Assault because the Hellfire + sustained was a terribly awkward combination. Hellfires work best as a burst finisher but the Bruiser isn't really a burst mech (while the Rocketeer is), so its two weapons definitely seem to counteract each other. I didn't start playing Rocketeer until much later, and I find that I am having much more success with Hellfires. Every now and then I try to play Bruiser again and I still struggle with it. That being said, I do see decent number of successful Bruisers on the battlefield.

#23 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted March 11 2014 - 05:09 AM

As someone who loves to use Hellfires.. its kind of interesting how the progression works.  In lower level servers they shred everything and players have no idea how to dodge them.  As you work your way into higher level servers know how to fire them on the proper angles and how extreme those angles have to be in order to make them hard to dodge begins to take place.

So chances are you are just gaining a higher MMR and being put into matches with A class pilots that are proficient at dodging HFMs. Best thing to do is learn how to fly up and fire your missiles down so they travel close to the ground which makes them very hard to dodge instead of having the missiles incoming on a downward angle which is easy to dodge.

Also knowing when to dumbfire instead during cqc will go a long way to helping shred those pesky a classes.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#24 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 11 2014 - 05:14 PM

Never thought of that, arcing missiles downward in the air... Is that actually useful_ Playing a Bruiser with Air Compressors, that will probably help me a lot. I usually just shoot them to my left or right, so they home in from their sides. Only upwards if there's hills, or over cover, and such.

Come to think of it, I've never really gone face to face against hellfires without cover of some sort. How do you dodge them_ And how does 'hovering' them over the ground from the air make them more accurate_
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#25 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 12 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostClaxus, on March 11 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Never thought of that, arcing missiles downward in the air... Is that actually useful_ Playing a Bruiser with Air Compressors, that will probably help me a lot. I usually just shoot them to my left or right, so they home in from their sides. Only upwards if there's hills, or over cover, and such.

Come to think of it, I've never really gone face to face against hellfires without cover of some sort. How do you dodge them_ And how does 'hovering' them over the ground from the air make them more accurate_

I've heard of people jumping and doing an air dodge to get rid of Hellfires in the open.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#26 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 10:31 AM

As a heavy hellfire user, if you're in a 1v1 situation you've already done something wrong. Hellfires are completely for getting assists or finishing off kills. you hang behind your friends and shoot over them. Always dumbfire in hallways, and if you're using them to siege enemies, lock, look straight up, and fire so you can get a better angle.

Eventually you don't even hit people with them, you annoy them and keep them from pushing forward. They're an area control tool.

I think it is 1000's of money. IT IS 1000,s OF MONEY!!!.

#27 Bonegnasher

Bonegnasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:09 AM

Not to flog a half-dead topic, but I find that hellfires, as is, do a magnificent job in suppression. They don't even need to hit. Just the sound of a lock-on is enough to make most people bugger out. You force people, constantly, out of fear of the missiles, to dodge behind cover and sacrifice valuable firing time and strategic positioning. I cannot count how many times I have kept multiple enemies at bay and away from the AA just by maintaining lock-ons and surpression fire. The hellfires are great because they don't even need to hit to do their job.

#28 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted March 13 2014 - 10:59 PM

thats the only thing rocketar can do ,camp fire lol

Posted Image

#29 BrineF55

BrineF55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hellfires are still ridiculous the fact that you dont have to any real skill in aim to take down a A class mech who is all about dodging and being able to aim at the same time is retarded

#30 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostBrineF55, on March 23 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

Hellfires are still ridiculous the fact that you dont have to any real skill in aim to take down a A class mech who is all about dodging and being able to aim at the same time is retarded

That's what cover is for, Scout is especially good for wrecking Hellfire mechs with Flak/HEAT Cannon.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#31 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:35 PM

it takes less skill to tow or nade than hellfire once targets learn how to use cover

#32 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostFarlanghn, on February 26 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

View Postmittens800, on February 26 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Welp, maybe I was wrong!

A lot of people are just finding ways around it. Rocketeers and bruisers are beginner mechs. I mean come on, lock on weapons_
That the problem they should not be just "beginner mech", what if some pilot loves the rocketeer but "OOPPPS SORRY BEGINNER MECHS NO PLACE IN HIGHER RATED GAMES" . That is why I have been wanting a revamp of these things for ages. Cuz the new people complain about them cuz they have no idea how to utilize cover in a game which is cover abundant and people in higher rated games know how to dodge them. Why can't we have 2 modes for HF
1) Shoot 1 missle and it tracks target if the reticule was on the target.

2) Shoot 1 missles which after a second splits into 3 missles and hits area around reticule.

The first mode wouldn't even need to be strong all it has to be is "viable"

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#33 XyXly

XyXly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 24 2014 - 12:29 PM

I can see how HF are OP when you're starting out in the game. You dodge into obstacles and don't really get behind any cover, you're not rolling around with your team, when you try to escape you're already halfway into a corridor, etc, etc.

It's more of an acquired obsolescence and semi-situational weapon, maybe on maps like Bunker, it would work better, but on wreckage, you won't get many hits on any pilot that knows how to position themselves. It's not really a good weapon if it gets an insane amount of kills on lower-leveled players and can't really be counted on for anything other than suppressive fire on higher-end matches, so I think it does need a bit of tweaking. Probably the refire rate.

#34 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 07:29 PM

a faster, tighter dumbfire will make hellfire viable at mid-higher tier. it had this in a prior iteration, just needs reinstating, easy.

#35 P3ntatonix3d

P3ntatonix3d

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:38 AM

The ONE thing I would like the Hellfire to have changed is that it locks on to us Stealth mechs in cloak.
I mean, come one. If I happen to be to close to a teammate, it could accidently lock on me or when running away in cloak with low health.
He notices the shimmering and from far away , locks on and kills me.
Hence, why I hate every f. rocketeer i see

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Nemesis' are[/font]

SCOUTS

ROCKETEERS

#36 Dongabhana

Dongabhana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostAnalysis, on February 26 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Hellfires still seem to follow me around absurd corners.
Note if you didnt know, that HF comes in a cluster of 4-6 (_) rockets. So even though you're around a corner, 2-3 rockets might get around and hit you.
Proud owner of a Rocketeer - Only mech I use!

#37 Doga45

Doga45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:28 AM

I agree the rocketeer hellfire is lacking in damage not really good for killing things so yes buff it please

#38 Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationRussia, Lipetsk

Posted March 27 2014 - 09:35 AM

It's all useless. Crustaceans will not allow his whining do this.

#39 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted March 28 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostClaxus, on March 11 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Yes if U get a lock while in flight and aim down at the ground so the missile travel right along the ground and then go up instead of down at a target it makes the typical way of dodging them mostly ineffective.. but only works with a flat ground plane for the most part.

Most people think using hellfires is a matter of lock turn aim left/right/up fire but this is not the case there is many ways of using them that are far more advanced combining dodge/air dodge as well.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users