HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Colour blind mode

Alpha Game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 01:25 AM

Without giving away my Alpha experiences I'd like to see a colour blind mode in Hawken. If this treads on anyone's toes to do with the no information embargo delete it and warn me, but otherwise I'd like to make this to push for a colour blind mode.

Posted Image

#2 Merf

Merf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 01:38 AM

Ditto!
With the colour palette in use in Hawken any red indicators/markers run the risk of being virtually invisible to some people.

/Merf - With the intensity of a thousand burning stars, please consider this ^^

#3 CrimsonxxMana

CrimsonxxMana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostCharlieCroker, on September 24 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Without giving away my Alpha experiences I'd like to see a colour blind mode in Hawken. If this treads on anyone's toes to do with the no information embargo delete it and warn me, but otherwise I'd like to make this to push for a colour blind mode.
Just curious, what do you see colour blind mode actually being used for in this game_ Do you want it to be an element of the fighting_ Or an actual mode people can turn off and on_ Essentially, can you elaborate more on your suggestion_ I assume you mean it for combat but I don't know how to justify it when you consider that the way a player sees their opponent is through a glass sheet in the cockpit. I could understand a colour blind mode if the pilots used monitors to see outside of their mechs but that is not the case.

#4 CharlieCroker

CharlieCroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostCrimsonxxMana, on September 24 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Just curious, what do you see colour blind mode actually being used for in this game_

Well, I hope this doesn't give too much away, but there are radicals and effects in game that are colourful and important. Those things are important to see and aren't there to "just notice" like in FPSs and the like, they need constant attention and to not be able to see them without having to focus on them can cause problems.

I'd also say make it an option

Edited by CharlieCroker, September 24 2012 - 02:14 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Prospect

Prospect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted September 24 2012 - 02:19 AM

Yea you don't have to get to detailed (which people want) but having a color blind mode would help and people who are color blind wouldn't feel alienated because in most games there is such an option.

colorblind or not , I hope to see you in the battlefield :D

Operating System: CPU Type:    CPU Speed:   System Memory:      Video Card Model:
Windows 7 SP1     i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz     3.29 GHz          2 GB   GeForce GT 520

#6 CrimsonxxMana

CrimsonxxMana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostCharlieCroker, on September 24 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

View PostCrimsonxxMana, on September 24 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Just curious, what do you see colour blind mode actually being used for in this game_

Well, I hope this doesn't give too much away, but there are radicals and effects in game that are colourful and important. Those things are important to see and aren't there to "just notice" like in FPSs and the like, they need constant attention and to not be able to see them without having to focus on them can cause problems.

I'd also say make it an option
I see, that makes a little more sense. Sorry about the push for a little more clarification. It just seemed to me as if you wanted some sort of weapon or support item to colour blind your opponent. I wouldn't want you giving away any stuff that's under the NDA that would stop you from being able to experience the game.

This is a little off-topic but is there not an alpha discussion board hidden away from people who don't have alpha access_ Would this suggestion not be better in there for the purposes of people understanding why you want a colour blind mode within the game_  Or if there isn't an alpha section specifically for those with alpha access why isn't there_ :P

If there isn't one then I think it would be a good suggestion. There is really only so much information you can chuck at people like me who haven't experienced the Alpha without violating the NDA and sometimes that may not be enough to back up a suggestion.

Edited by CrimsonxxMana, September 24 2012 - 03:08 AM.

#7 Merf

Merf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 03:57 AM

A common theme in team based games are ways to differentiate friendlies and enemies. These can be things ranging from map markers to crosshair colour changes to targeting brackets. For most people a very clear and visible colour is red. For others.. this colour is next to invisible against bland backgrounds.

Tribes Ascend for instance used (still uses_) red triangles over the heads of enemies to mark them. Seeing as many maps have a vegetation (green and brown shades). That makes the symbols more or less invisible to me.

Red is also a common colour for warnings (be they symbols that lght up, HUD-elements or what-not). It is severely handicapping to not be able to see such things.

/Merf - Half a game.

#8 Demonocolips

Demonocolips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 08:09 AM

not color blind myself but i believe any game should have color blind mode built in
Check my Youtube channel for gaming footage from WOT and other games.

#9 1ns3ct

1ns3ct

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 08:38 AM

Would help me a lot... :D

#10 Rollinrolan

Rollinrolan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 25 2012 - 02:02 AM

I am colourblind and though I think every game needs a colourblindmode, I don't think hawken needs one from my hour or so playing. It's colourscheme of grey background with red or white markers makes fairly easy to see. I'veprobably just got used to playing games like battlefield 3 which as far as I could tell had orange for team mates and darker orange for enemies, but compared to things like that, this doesn't need a colourblind mode and fixing ther constant crashing would be more important.

#11 Mykep

Mykep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted September 25 2012 - 03:31 AM

Color deficient here, would really enjoy this.

It's the herc, chicks dig the herc

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alpha, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users