HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator Guide

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 03:40 PM

Moved contend over too another thread.
At https://community.pl...predator-guide/
Thread can be closed.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 11 2014 - 03:43 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#2 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 04:47 PM

Leave me some constructive criticisms or things I could add or change to make it more readable.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#3 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 01 2014 - 11:36 PM

Overall, a good guide.  However I'd change a few things/add a few more things:

-Long Range Combat

Why_  Predator isn't really meant for long range combat, the Breacher's damage falls pretty badly in long range engagements.  I'd rather title this as Long/Mid-Ranged Combat.  Sure, you can use Breacher for long range but a sniper will usually win on that front, only do this when the enemy is distracted.

-Items (just a few to add on the list)

ISM Disruptor and EMP- is good for supporting your teammates, it can either make the enemy dodge away from them and giving your team precious seconds to kill them.  Or it can make the enemy defenseless or blind.

Barrier- because it's helpful when you're in a bind and need to get away from enemies.  Use it to block fire and anyone chasing you, plus you can shoot through it with Breacher. (might need to practice with this, it's not as easy unlike shield.)

Shield- If you usually fuzzy bunny up with OR you're pretty sure you will stink with barrier, use Shield.  You might not be able to stop people from chasing you, but you can at least stop them from firing at you, also very good for peekaboo skirmishes.  (You can also use it to help you team as well)

Scanner- Sure you can see through walls and stuff, but you can't be everywhere right_  Use this to help your team have a pseudo Predator help them out spotting enemies while you can focus on traps or killing repairing enemies or other stuff.

-Traps (Something to add)

-Put traps on jump pads

-Weapons:

EOC Repeater- Useful for having more mines on hand.  (Use same tips as EOC Pred if in CQC combat with other mechs)  In objective based games: Use it block off certain openings/choke points in junction with EOC Pred.

Breacher- Be sure you know where you're aiming with the weapon!  Even with the charged and then flak combo, the reload can still be brutal.  Also, the spread is more narrow than other shotgun types, so as I said before... AIM!

-Nemesis mechs:

ANYTHING WITH HELLFIRES/SEEKERS, Assaults and CRTs and Beserkers, that Vulcan/Tow combo is brutal.

That's all!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 01 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#4 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:39 AM

Ok thanks, I've inserted your comments into the guide.

I will try make the guide a bit more concise if I can do it.

#5 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 04:21 AM

Ok I have just spent the last two hours re-writing the whole guide so it is a little more concise and added what you suggested Hijinks. Thanks for the suggestions.

#6 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 04:58 AM

expand on existing points.
Added peekaboo to the list also.
2 tips added also eco alert and teamspeak.

#7 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 05:54 AM

Light!  I found some good tips overall from HatesYourFace!  Put 'em in!

View PostHatesYourFace, on March 02 2014 - 05:37 AM, said:

Predator is fine. It is a hard mech to learn and it's power is subtle but extremely effective in the right hands.

Give it some time, it is definitely on the "advanced" end of the mechs, perhaps you should spend some time on the CRT or Assault and get the basics down before trying to master the more complicated playstyles_

Best of luck!

Some quick Predator tips:

-Stay near buildings/walls when stealthed. You are harder to see against a solid background then you are in the open.

-In a duel "Kite" your enemy around an object walking backwards and shooting mines at the floor, as he follows you he will run over the mines, forcing him to eat the damage or disengage and move away from the object.

-Don't be afraid to "spam" mines at a point if there is 2-3 mechs on it, like wise don't be afraid to cover a well traveled path or important point in mines, you get 10 of them at a time, and the old ones blow up as you make new ones. There is NO reason not to have a 10 mine trap set up somewhere at all times.

-Look for weak/damaged mechs or repairing targets with your thermal vision, don't be afraid to circle around back for vulture kills/flanking maneuvers. Just the sound of a Predator firing it's weapons behind a team can cause them to panic or split up. At worst they will turn to address you and you can fight a disengaging shootout as a distraction for your team, stealthing and escaping when there is too much pressure.

-Overall Predator has as much psychological impact as real, you should make the other team feel that they are never safe; attacking them when they repair (even if you can't kill them...just poke/harass, let them know you are watching them...just waiting for them to let their guard down) Making sure they are constantly stepping on mines. (Once again even if it's just to annoy or unsettle them) This can lower the other teams morale and make them ineffective and indecisive, retreating all the way to base to heal for fear you will attack them.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY: Your mines are your best weapon...if you are fighting someone they should be at at least 75% HP when it starts from mines, or your doing it wrong. You are a defensive stealther with a minelayer, Not a rogue who sneaks up and back stabs people (That's the Inf)

Huh, okay!  I thought some of these weren't really covered, like the psychological impact of having a Predator strike you as you repair.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 02 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#8 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 11:27 AM

All of those points are already in the guide Hijinks, but thank you.

He uses the word as Kite and I use Bait instead, but all fairly covered.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 02 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 02 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Huh, okay!  I thought some of these weren't really covered, like the psychological impact of having a Predator strike you as you repair.
Well of course it will have that effect, I touched on some aspects of psychology but didn't incorporate psychology into the guide, this is a game afterall. Pred would have that effect on people regardless, but I have raiders do the same thing to me from behind. So... lol. I guess the Ambushing section would be part of the psychological stuff.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 02 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#10 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 04:26 PM

Just did a short tutorial with Ogremech today was fun.

#11 Onyxmizer

Onyxmizer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 08:53 AM

Is the stalker slide a feature now_ I thought it was a bug/over sight.

also, exelent post. :)

Edited by Onyxmizer, March 03 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#12 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 12:47 PM

I got no idea, I don't think it was. I hope it's a feature now.

#13 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostOnyxmizer, on March 03 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Is the stalker slide a feature now_ I thought it was a bug/over sight.

also, exelent post. :)
I don't think they got around to this issue yet, they fixed the radar signature when people looked in your area. If it is a bug they will fix it shortly. But for now it is something we can use to some advantage. Thanks for liking my post/ guide onyx :).

Edited by Lightangel112, March 04 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#14 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 08:20 AM

Added a new segment to the guide.

Singularity
This is another aspect on ambushing. I've noticed that people don't seem to know how to damage people who are repairing without falling victim themselves. You need to know that if you hit a repairing mech with any weapon or item it will allow them to get out of repair faster. What you need to do is, do as much damage as possible from a distance (not too far) in a single moment.

Using your slower weapons first to lead followed by your faster weapons. Use detonator first, let it get half way, use a puck or two to follow the detonator, as both are approaching the target release your charged breacher shot. This equals to 235 damage with 1 puck or 290 damage with 2 pucks that landed. That's almost 300 damage in a duration of less than 2 seconds. If you can pull this off you will be in a much better position to engage the enemy when it comes down to a 1v1.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 04 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#15 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted March 04 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks again for the practice session.  You've given me some things to work on!
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#16 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostDFTR, on March 04 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Thanks again for the practice session. You've given me some things to work on!
Any time man.

#17 LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 12:43 AM

Thanks for the guide!  I'm interested to see how you approach different mechs 1v1.   And how you deal with flying targets (since it's the common meta now).

What is the difference in damage from charged breacher to not changed_

Posted Image

#18 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:02 AM

Ahh...gotten rusty with the pred nowadays after ive max ranked it. :lol:  Now i cant even aim that damn breacher right...pfft,..

#19 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostLEmental, on March 05 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the guide!  I'm interested to see how you approach different mechs 1v1. And how you deal with flying targets (since it's the common meta now).

What is the difference in damage from charged breacher to not changed_
Might do some video's of that but will take a while for sure. Now the difference between fully charged (100) and non charged (144) is 44 damage. However that is if all the needles hit your target will it do 144 damage. If I use the puck + charged breacher shot which I discuss in the guide to do more burst type damage, that still gives you a good 155 damage to work with.

View Post86, on March 05 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

Ahh...gotten rusty with the pred nowadays after ive max ranked it. :lol:  Now i cant even aim that damn breacher right...pfft,..
Yeah man, was glad to finally meet up with you and check out your out of date skills :lol:.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 05 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#20 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 04:33 AM

Zerker/raider/assault/predator, those are the 4 mechs i have been using ever since, depends on who im playing against,ping values, and etc to decide who to use.

fighting against a team with pilots of high skilled scouts_ Zerker or the raider
-I always enjoy a good spar with those little critters. Sometimes the raider,sometimes if i feel like i could take that scout down it.

High ping_ Assault or zerker

A map with where environment provides good camouflage_ Or super low ping, like 4 to 20 Predator :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users