HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

SMC - AR - PointD Vulcan - which one is best_

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 UrKungFuNoGood

UrKungFuNoGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationJust Another Lost Angyal

Posted March 16 2014 - 01:02 PM

To me the Point-D is worthless. The spin up time cripples it. If someone pops out on you they can go from cover to cover with instant fire weapons and tear you up before you can do any damage at all to them.
Worst 7k HC I ever spent.
I've got double the K/D with the stock weapon.
Posted Image

#22 UrKungFuNoGood

UrKungFuNoGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationJust Another Lost Angyal

Posted March 17 2014 - 12:16 AM

double post... apologies

Edited by UrKungFuNoGood, March 17 2014 - 12:16 AM.

Posted Image

#23 hawkenus

hawkenus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted March 17 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's not so worthless if you use your radar and have Radar as your item, so you know when enemy if gonna show up and you can have your Vulcan ready each time.
Posted Image
so wet e-puzzy, y jelly_...

#24 Bringer

Bringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 12:08 PM

Im gonna go ahead and fall in with the 'vulcans bad' crowd now after having tried it. You certainly can use predictive skills and radar and stuff to spin up, but even doing that radically changes your playstyle. Because you put all that effort into spinning up you want to stay on target instead of doing what you probably should: just firing a tow and dodging back into cover.
And though it has technically higher dps its not high enough to totaly dominate someone well enough to let you switch from evasive hit and run peekabooing into down-bearing face melting.
Maybe its different if you are playing a fatty and feel like taking some damage is acceptable.
It does sound cool which may have uses of its own but meh. I went back to SMC.

#25 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostDuralumi, on March 16 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Vulcan for close range DEEPS.

SMC for everything else.

Assault Rifle needs to be made a burst-fire weapon to differentiate itself from the Hawkins RPR.
Why the hell would anyone put a burst-fire weapon on a mech_ The only reason burst-fire exists is for poor bloody infantry who can't control full-auto recoil with their puny, fleshy arms.

Anyway, there's only a need to differentiate weapons if they're on the same mech.

#26 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 10:34 PM

Having tried all three I'd say SMC. I unlocked the Vulcan in mu Vanguard and while it will face melt any enemies up close it is worse than SMC at everything else.

#27 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostPhasmaFelis, on March 20 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostDuralumi, on March 16 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Vulcan for close range DEEPS.

SMC for everything else.

Assault Rifle needs to be made a burst-fire weapon to differentiate itself from the Hawkins RPR.
Why the hell would anyone put a burst-fire weapon on a mech_ The only reason burst-fire exists is for poor bloody infantry who can't control full-auto recoil with their puny, fleshy arms.

Anyway, there's only a need to differentiate weapons if they're on the same mech.

Autocannons in real life also have burst firing mode to promote accuracy. Heat from continuous firing makes the cannon's barrel expand, which causes inaccuracy.

Edit: To add and clarify why I said autocannon, what looks like an Assault Rifle on a mech, could very well be a 30mm autocannon on a light tank/IFV.

Edited by Kopra, March 22 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#28 Lezo

Lezo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:30 AM

The spinup time of D Vulcan makes it useful from my point of view, as I tend to quick fire when my target is inside my sight , dodge and run, throw TOW and fire, dodge....

I mean, I keep always moving and made short rounds of shoots on my target when cross my sight, that allows me to generate less heat.

So it is useful for me to have a weapon wich requires to focused on trace enemy movement at the same time I move to hit it.

I suppose it is a better weapon for a non assault mech, maybe a C class. But not for Medium mechs that are constantly moving.....

#29 NECRO_TYPE1

NECRO_TYPE1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:16 AM

I have had an increase in my kills since using the Point-D Vulcan, but I cannot pinpoint if that is from my experience/play style. I have become more conscious of how I play with the spin-up.

My thoughts are preference is related to mech and play style. I didn't think the SMC was a bad weapon, but you usually think unlocking a weapon will result in an increase in an weapons advantage. With this game I don't think that is the case.

#30 Fivelon

Fivelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted April 02 2014 - 11:50 AM

Point-D Vulcan is strong, but you HAVE to close the distance to your target and spinup while still behind cover. Work on your corner play, it's all about the dance.

#31 Panzer1972

Panzer1972

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostIareDave, on March 09 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Deflector works in the air.

:o :o :o

:(

Edited by Panzer1972, April 02 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#32 RageFlakez

RageFlakez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 01:30 AM

I use the point D Vulcan on my Assault, and while it suffers at range, it totally makes up for it in CQC.  As long as you force your enemies to be close, you'll turn them into metal ribbons.  Since I had the SMC, I came out of most matches with a KD of 1-2, now with the Vulcan, most of them I come out of a match with a 3-7 KD (It varies, I've had a couple 281 games because of this awesome weapon).  Either way, the Point D Vulcan is a tradeoff of range that drastically changes your playstyle, but if you force others into CQC (which isn't too hard to do) you will tear them to shreds easily.  I wouldn't trade my Vulcan for the AR or SMC.

Edited by RageFlakez, April 06 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#33 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:40 AM

View Postmrvile, on March 15 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

I just max ranked my Assault and I'm wondering if the AR is worth it... it seems like general concensus is that the SMC puts out more DPS and takes longer to overheat, but with my limited experience with the AR on my Berserker, I do like how the AR feels. I normally use the SMC on my Berserker because I try to force CQC, but I find myself engaging a little more cautiously with my Assault, so maybe the AR might be more useful_ Does anyone use the AR on the Assault and can you recommend it_

If you like to stick back and engage from a distance, AR is definitely worth it. past a range of 160m, the SMC dps is reduced by about 75%, anything past the 150m range the AR will easily out dps the SMC.

#34 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostSuperSpartacus, on April 06 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

If you like to stick back and engage from a distance, AR is definitely worth it. past a range of 160m, the SMC dps is reduced by about 75%, anything past the 150m range the AR will easily out dps the SMC.

It only has a 40m advantage, and the lower fire rate/extra heat hurts the AR's damage more on missed shots.

If you already have SMC it isn't worth picking up AR this patch.

Edited by Stingz, April 06 2014 - 06:55 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#35 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 10:54 PM

So SMC is getting nerfed_ Good... I have had been looking forward to that happen. Just too good like TOW is still. Just melt everything what I want as Scout.

#36 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 10 2014 - 04:39 PM

The SMC is useful at mid range and has a good DPS, its a pretty good beginner weapon, as is the AR (although it is longer range) the vulcan, however, is a powerhouse up close and its harder to use when you are used to picking off people from mid range. I use the vulcan on my assault pretty well (IMO) and I definatley like it more than the SMC (I haven't gotten to use the AR on assault yet) and I've seen people dominate using the vulcan with a berserker. But it really depends on your play style... if you get up really close to your enemies when you fight, the vulcan's great if yo uwant a bit of breathing room SMC and the AR are better

Edited by Frisbee_Player, April 10 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#37 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 13 2014 - 12:08 AM

I am so not going to touch which one of these guns is the "best".  But I have a soft spot for the Assault rifle thanks to it's longer "Tickle escaping enemy to death" range getting me a lot of BS kills.  SMC is a good rounded choice without the wholesale all or nothing face brawl death of the Vulcan.

Vulcan I have a Love/Hate relationship with.  Maps like Wreckage with lots of forced close up encounters, you can easily become a complete monster (Hello, Quad Kill and 10 streak), it does better against C mechs than A obviously since the spread hurts less on a bigger target.   More wide open situations like the AA on last Eco, or playing on Bunker....  May as well be throwing the bullets with how likely you will hit most of the time.

Unrelated, I actually like the Map Bunker.  Because it's more painful to people who try (and fail) to Lone Wolf in a Team Game than the other maps... Which seems to be where most of the complaints I personally see made during a match come from.  Sorry that trying to "Flank" the entire enemy team by yourself on a map with high visibility and low cover didn't work out for you the 12th time guy.

Totally worth the price of admission, even the lost matches where we got the ones who forget the T in TDM.

Back on topic, you couldn't pay me to use the Vulcan on Bunker unless I had no other Primaries.  But I can't put it on fast enough when Wreckage pops up and there are C classes to shoot.

#38 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 13 2014 - 01:27 AM

I don't see how the spin-up time of the Point-D 'ruins' it, even without Radar.
I use it on all mechs that I use that have it availible,
and I have no problem taking care of the spinup-time while corner-poking with my TOW.

SMC only outclasses the Point-D in CQC if you either miss alot, or you're fighting 2 C-classes at once without the cooldown ability ready.
Either that, or you simply suck at taking care of the spin-up time. That's not the Point-D's fault, but yours.

The accarucy of the Point-D isn't bad either.
Go test it instead of looking at the stats.

I usually stomp with my Point-D Cr-T.
Stop saying a gun is bad simply because you suck with it.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#39 Lezo

Lezo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:59 AM

After playing forcing me to use Vulcan, I have to say I love it. Its a matter of how you play.

If you get used to get really close to enemy they are pretty dead if you chase them with that weapon. About the spinup time, its only a matter to predict when enemy is going to be visible.

#40 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted April 20 2014 - 11:10 PM

AR - the most versatile, effective at all ranges, especially good for open maps like Last Eco, Bazaar, Bunker. Can be surprisingly effective at long range.

Point-D Vulcan - extremely effective at close range, good for closed maps like Uptown, Wreckage. Spin it up while you are behind cover and when enemy will be in range, show up and start shredding. It would be OP if it didn't have that spin up time.

SMC - close to mid range, something between Vulcan and AR.

They are all good, but for different situations.
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users