HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Heat and EOC on Infil and Rocketeer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 09:01 PM

Well,I could type a long post about my opinion, but I'll make this one short.

I don't like the Heat Cannon or EOC Repeater much, so when playing as an Infil or Rocketeer, I feel limited to their 1st weapon, Assault Rifle and Seeker, which I feel are just easier and more effective for getting kills.

I think I'm fine with the Rocketeer having the 2, but I feel that the Infil should have had another option, like maybe the SMG instead of EOC.

I'm sure there are a few people out there that love the EOC and Heat on the Infil, but I would vote to swap something else like an SMG on it.

My 2 cents anyway.

Of course, this isn't as bad as CRT, Assault, Berserker and Bruiser having the same 3 primary weapons...

#2 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 09:27 PM

G2 Infil will have a different loadout. Personally sustain weapons don't fit on a mech designed for assassinations, imo.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted March 07 2014 - 10:31 PM

yea man , use the ASL-RFL to learn how to play the GL and how to sneak on people , then you play heat or EOC !

Posted Image

#4 X_Mangoose_X

X_Mangoose_X

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMirando desde la ventana detras tuyo

Posted March 08 2014 - 12:56 AM

The infiltrator is a stealth mech to flank and lightning attacks, the Cañon Heat and Eoc is perfect for this type of work.
I find that using Smc is too risky and ineffective in many occasions especially with so little hp.

"No confundas mi Personalidad con Mi actitud, mi Personalidad es Quien Yo Soy y mi Actitud Depende de Quien Seas Tú."

#5 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 05:20 AM

Well, with the lowered HP, using the AR is less of a gamble. If you try to hit someone with either a Heat or EOC and miss, you are basically dead, where as if you can sustain some AR fire while lobbing the GL, there is less chance you can mess up and die.

I understand the hit and run with burst weapons being more for assassinations, but for someone who plays pretty casually, the AR is just easier to get kills with.

I did practice with the Heat some last night, landed some good shots, missed others. I feel that just getting the jump on someone with the cloak is enough to do damage with the AR though, especially A and B mechs.

#6 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 08 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostSylhiri, on March 07 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

G2 Infil will have a different loadout. Personally sustain weapons don't fit on a mech designed for assassinations, imo.

Just watch G2 Infil have a modified Heat Cannon that has three barrels. :P

#7 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 08 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Just watch G2 Infil have a modified Heat Cannon that has three barrels. :P

Modified heat cannon that does 10 damage each barrel uncharged and 11 charged :0

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#8 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 16 2014 - 04:20 PM

Once you learn the ways of the heat cannon, you don't want any other weapon But the heat cannon. I just recently got the hang of it and I murder people left and right with the thing. Not just on my infiltrator, but also on my Grenadier and (believe it or not) my Rocketeer. Once I get the HC, I'm definitely putting it on my Scout. It takes practice learning how to lead your shots when using it and learning when to charge it, but if you're willing to put in the time to learn this weapon and make small adjustments to your playstyle, you will be rewarded.

Same with the EOC. EOC can do even MORE damage than the Heat Cannon when used right. However learning to use the EOC proficiently makes learning the Heat Cannon seem easy.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#9 BOD33SU3T

BOD33SU3T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 08:54 PM

Getting caught by a fully charged eoc and nade is pretty devastating, happened to me a few times and it at least made me retreat.

#10 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted March 30 2014 - 02:10 AM

I've only started with the Infiltrator, but my tendencies have me adoring the fact it comes with an Assault Rifle.  It's effective range and hitscan nature have gotten me plenty of long range kills that would have been otherwise next to impossible for me to nail.  Probably half my kills from my max streak of 12 and 10 on my Recruit and Assault respectively have been from finishing off people with it like that.  Only gotten up to 8 so far on my Infiltrator, with Multikill max of 3.  So the AR has been my go to weapon for assassinating wounded enemies even on robots that are not supposed to be sneaky.

http://i1206.photobu...zps111bc3ec.jpg

Just after I hit rank 2, so many would be escapes dashing off and juking left and right shut down by tickling them to death with the Assault Rifle.  That and I think everyone expects you to sneak up within 2 feet of their Robutt before opening fire so that seems to have bought me time for more free shots when I open up at ranges an Vulcan of Flak cannon can't do a damn thing.  They 180, fire off their TOW or Sabot or whatever on reflex at... Nothing, because I'm all the way over there firing a second grenade into their face with a side serving of bullets.

As for direct combat with the Infiltrator, the AR has been good to have in shooting it up against my fellow A classes, along with the previously mentioned use as a finisher I can rely on reasonably well when they try to run away.  The Grenade Launcher is already pretty good for lobbing explosions at enemies trying to hold the AA or Missile Silos.  I doubt things would go as well against enemy Berserkers and Scouts with a HEAT or EOC unless I was near psychic with my aim.  Against a C class it has much worse DPS so aside from the initial burst of a perfect surprise flank, even a C class can side dodge a second volley well enough unless they are in turret mode.

Still, the HEAT and EOC are damn fun weapons when I've used them (short outings on the Grenadier and Rocketeer with them thanks to Nemesis).  So considering how much I am adoring the Infiltrator now that I'm trying it after Rank 6 Recruit and Assult, I'm totally going to unlock them on principle.  I'll admit the Nemesis Bundle gives me a hell of a lot of leeway with my HC spending, since two guns is basically the cost of a robot.

Tl;DR: I think the HEAT and EOC are incredibly cool, but lack the overall "All situations" efficiency and ability of the Assault Rifle to deal with my fellow A classes who know what a dodge button is, let alone ones packing an Air Compressor.

Assault Rifle may not be as much of a bursty "Ambush Full Health Mech" gun, but it has been working wonders for me as a finisher.

Still, as always, use the gun YOU kill things better with at the time.  I have a Love/Hate relationship with the Vulcan on my Assault for example.  Whatever the name of that frozen out in the open map is_ Oh god this gun is a complete piece of Robutt.  Fighting on Wreckage_ Hellooo, Quad Kills!  Where is your turret mode god now_

Edited by SectionZ, March 30 2014 - 02:16 AM.

#11 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted April 29 2014 - 04:58 PM

My main mech is my HEAT Rocketeer. the burst i can put out is incredible. i've used the EOC for a while and decided that learning how to use it wasnt worth the hassle of buying a new screen after i put my fist through this one in a fit of gamer-rage.

for me, the more reliable and consistant burst dmg output comes from the HEAT Cannon. stay Med/close range and it pwns. proxy mines, shmoxy mines. gimme that reliability any day.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#12 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 30 2014 - 07:54 AM

SMC on Infiltrator is called Bezerker, more health and Barrage to kill people faster.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#13 n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 07:11 AM

The EOC is hard to learn and even when you do can be frustrating sometimes. Hitting a Scout that closed on you and is running around is far from easy when you also have to properly aim the grenade but that weapon is tons of fun.

The burst output is huge and meshes well with the cloak, I've found I kill more repairing foes than with any other mech (haven't played the Pred yet but I suppose it's the only mech that's better at that role). You'll rarely hit all 6 pucks from the charged EOC at a foe that's boosting around but once you learn that weapon you can have decent accuracy.

The mine function is also pretty sweet, it's a lot of fun to die in a 1v1 situation only to have your opponent die 1 second after you from pucks lying on the floor. So even if you miss (and you will) with the EOC it doesn't all go to waste. While the mine damage is small it can give the edge in corner play where you lay some at a corner before unloading the grenade and the next EOC shot for extra damage.

Past the uses and pros of the weapon the sound that thing makes is just beautiful :D

#14 ChromeTitan

ChromeTitan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 30 2014 - 11:51 PM

Eoc is high burst on opponents who cant dodge (flanked enemies, surprise attacks, repairing enemies). Youll have enough trouble hitting a flying scout to make the weapon not worth the learning curve. The real thing is the ability to do corner play and effectively hit with the secondary... which an eoc infil excels at. Its a total waste on the rocketeer, you are out dps'd by a mini flak alone if you hit with every single missle and eoc. The difference in reload time means you would die to mini flak alone before you could fire a second burst. The mines will not be buffed enough to be effective as actual mines since that would make the pred super strong. Eoc is in a tight spot right now. The only thing it can be is a slower stronger heat Cannon.

The heat cannon is amazing for sniping and super long range burst. I use it on my grenaider. Which makes it a fat uncloakable infil. You can also shoot it super fast in a pinch.
Effort applied correctly is success, effort applied incorrectly is experience. The pain of experience is temporary, the glory of success is forever.

#15 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted May 31 2014 - 11:54 PM

I'm not worried about the Rocketeer so much as I'm worried about the Infiltrator, but I'm still trying to figure out why the Grenadier has a Vulcan as it's prestige, and not the EOC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users