HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Infiltrator weapons

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Beer4Blood

Beer4Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 08:24 PM

i recently unlocked the heat cannon for the infiltrator. what an extremely horrible choice of weaponry for such a smal mech. in order to survive in such a mech you have to constantly be moving to face any foe head to head rendering the heat cannon useless. the assault rifle is by far the best weapon choice for that mech im sure the third weapon will be just as horrible. the heat cannon is more suitied to a high health mech. i vote ofr much better weapons for hte light units, like a shotgun or perhaps vulcan the single shot heat cannon is utterly horrible it only is useful at range in that chassis and even then youre target just hides and heals. please devs consider changing the weapon setup for the infiltrator.

an exploit i believe i saw was the sapping power of the repair mech. no aim required just dash side to side and sap away health, how lame.

#2 Claxus

Claxus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 10 2014 - 11:56 PM

The heat cannon is a very powerful weapon on the Infiltrator, but it sounds like it's just not for you. Other people make great use of it, but it's really all about preference, I myself prefer the assault rifle on Infy. You would probably also dislike the third weapon, it's also close range, or for setting traps. But the weapon load outs are fine right now, I think you should try Scout if you want a shottie, or Berserker for a stronger machine gun style.

As for Techs... Just kill them before they're in range, man, haven't you seem how tiny their HP bar is_ They need to be close to drain, but at that point you can just shoot their face and 3/4 of their HP is gone, and when they're that close they can't run to heal. In a way, you can say it doesn't take skill to aim, but they're so easy to kill it's justiable.
Use power for the right things. At least for the things that you believe in. ~ Dingo Egret - Zone of the Enders 2
Posted Image
Faithful to my deus machina Bruiser.

#3 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted March 29 2014 - 01:25 PM

You do realize that every mech has a balance/weakness. With the Infiltrator, the heat cannon only amplifies the fact that it has low armor (being a small mech).

Claxus does have a point. The Technician is a small mech (like the Infiltrator), but it's weapon set, though unfair, requires it to expose it's weakness in order to do what it was designed to do.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#4 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 04:32 PM

Heat Canon actually SUPPORTS the Infiltrator's low health and high mobility, as it does burst damage. Which means that you don't have to expose yourself to your target constantly in order to do meaningful damage. You can also get out your initial damage quicker, which is very beneficial to an assassin playstyle.

DPS on low-HP mechs = sub-par as you need to keep LoS with your target more, meaning they can shoot back at you
Burst on low-HP mechs = good because you can play peekaboo much more effectively

You just need to learn more about the game. This becomes even more evident since you seem to think that the Helix Repair Torch's drain function is an exploit.

Edited by Duralumi, March 29 2014 - 04:33 PM.

After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#5 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:30 PM

Techs are weak. Be glad they are not in the same state as they used to be. Then you would be mad.

Heat cannon is one of the more powerful weapons in the game, but has to be used right to do anything.

You can stick with the AR, or try to get better with the heat.

ideas are bad

#6 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted March 29 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostTrych, on March 29 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

You can stick with the AR, or try to get better with the heat.

If you stick with the AR you would probably be doing better with the Berserker or Assault with SMC.
More health, better DPS, abillites more suited for direct combat.

Edited by Stingz, March 29 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#7 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostStingz, on March 29 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

If you stick with the AR you would probably be doing better with the Berserker or Assault with SMC.
More health, better DPS, abillites more suited for direct combat.

I was talking Infiltrator specific, but yes, I agree.

ideas are bad

#8 CommanderSyrup9

CommanderSyrup9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:11 AM

I myself like the Heat cannon and the EOC repeater both equally. They both deal close range burst damage and both allow you to play hit and run or hide behind cover and then attack when your enemy sees you and dodge behind cover again. I would say that I probably use the EOC repeater more as it's harder to master since you have to be more accurate to hit an enemy, but the Heat cannon is easier to handle since you have to be less accurate to hit a person. The Assault Rifle is meant for sustainable damage at close and mid range, if that's what you prefer, then you should use that.

#9 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:21 AM

breaking medic beam is easy - some tips

if tech lands beam on you you can break it in the following ways...

1. dodge away and get out of range, or if he is really close, dodge towards him, and boost just pass him, if you get behind him, the beam breaks, corner's, ramps , any object put in between you and that beams will break the connection, including other mechs...

#10 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 30 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostCommanderSyrup9, on April 30 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

I myself like the Heat cannon and the EOC repeater both equally. They both deal close range burst damage and both allow you to play hit and run or hide behind cover and then attack when your enemy sees you and dodge behind cover again. I would say that I probably use the EOC repeater more as it's harder to master since you have to be more accurate to hit an enemy, but the Heat cannon is easier to handle since you have to be less accurate to hit a person. The Assault Rifle is meant for sustainable damage at close and mid range, if that's what you prefer, then you should use that.
lolnecro

I'd say EOC is better on Infil, and Heat on Scout.
Why_

The Grenade Launcher is better for defensive engagements, and so is the EOC due to it's mine properties.

The TOW is better for offensive engagements, and so is the HEAT due to it's higher projectile velocity and DPS.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostBeer4Blood, on March 10 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

i recently unlocked the heat cannon for the infiltrator. what an extremely horrible choice of weaponry for such a smal mech.

There's your problem right there. Heat cannon takes a very long time to get used to. Practice with it in the Co-op TDM for a few HOURS, and then you'll start to get the hang of it. Heat cannon is VICIOUS when used properly. If it were any easier to use than it currently is, the weapon would be vastly overpowered. If you do not wish to spend the hours required to gain competance in the weapon, than stick with the AR. It's not for everyone.

I highly suggest you practice more with it and don't judge it so harshly right off the bat. Don't miss out on one of the best and most fun weapons in the game simply because of a learning curve.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, April 30 2014 - 10:07 AM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#12 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:41 AM

The heat cannon when used right is a beast in the right hands.  I myself still have trouble with it oddly enough more trouble than the eoc.  I find my playstyle on my lil infy is defensive just as meraple described it, I play the eoc repeater defensive corner playing till they are worn down then attack.  The heat can be used in a similiar way but actually is better as an offensive corner play chasing weapon, such as instead of waiting for them to take the corner you take that corner you shoot both tow and heat and slide back udner cover.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#13 Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 11:53 AM

I picked up the heat cannon on my infiltrator knowing that I would be horrible at it for a long time. I feel like I've gotten much better at the weapon after sticking with it. I play my infiltrator up close (probably a horrible spot to be in) and I feel like the HC is a great weapon at close range; I'm almost exclusively firing after jumping in the air with HC though.

I think you have to decide how you want to play your infiltrator then select the weapon loadout that suits your style. I would probably do better in a berzerker with my playstyle but I like the cat and mouse games you can get into with infiltrator's cloak and great corner play.
Posted Image

#14 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:18 AM

HEAT Cannon is probably the best weapon to use for what infi's were designed to do. Burst assassinations. Its high burst, aoe and med-high rate of fire, in tandem with the high burst and massive aoe of the nade launcher, makes it perfect for this. Infi's excel using indirect fire. that is, doing damage to enemies without having to see them. a well placed HC shot and nade on a corner where someone's hiding can still do massive damage. Also, having high mobility and HEAT Cannon is a GOOD THING. it allows you to manoeuvre around people, landing better shots whilst keeping out of their crosshairs. i suggest practice, watch some vids, etc. You have to LEAD your shots with HC. its hard to get used to. if you still prefer AR, then great. Its all about playstyle. But well played HEAT infs are one of the scariest and highest burst damage mechs in the game. Dont just get angry about a mechs weapons because you cant use them very well. Research, and practise.

GM x

Edited by Gh0stMantis, June 06 2014 - 08:21 AM.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#15 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:32 AM

Whats more, you shouldnt be facing mechs 'head on' in an infiltrator. No wonder you're not doing so well.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#16 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 06 2014 - 10:23 AM

Remove AR from infil, make it only for people who can actually aim.

Posted Image

#17 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 07 2014 - 10:57 AM

Heat cannon is very powerful. Aim for the feet and spam it. The damn thing is so annyoing and it hurts.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#18 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 07 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 07 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Heat cannon is very powerful. Aim for the feet and spam it. The damn thing is so annyoing and it hurts.

It's a double-edged sword.

:P

Posted Image

#19 Crawl3r

Crawl3r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 03:17 PM

i cant seem to hit anything with the AR! I can destroy using a SMC, Vulcan or a Flak Cannon and can usually get first place on the team. But i would estimate that only one in ten Assault rifle shots actually deal damage. This is not specific to any mech, I have tried with recruit, assault and infiltrator. The same thing also happens with the mini flak. any help or tips would be appreciated.

#20 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostCrawl3r, on June 23 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

any help or tips would be appreciated.

For real, aim well. And play in a region when you get the best ping.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users