HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Doesn't this bother anybody else_

Art

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted March 17 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 17 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostSilverfire, on March 17 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostSilverfire, on March 17 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

has anyone else noticed that most of the mechs have no visible cockpit window. if they do it doesn't make any sence (minus the reaper and a few others)

It's a helmet mounted HUD, giving the appearance of being in the cockpit when it's all really being projected inside a helmet, or inside the mech on video screens.

Wrong, because in the GFX Novel their in actual cockpits helmet less.

How do you explain the HUD boot up sequence during the beginning of a match then_ Note that the Graphic Novel was penned and published before the current HUD existed.

You could say that the boot up system could be scanned directly on to their retinas.  Since we are in the future, there is no reason to have a retinal scan display on them that's surgically implanted in their eyes.

Surgery for every recruit that comes through the Redstone Training Facility_ Seems unlikely, given their variable ages/capabilities/status.

Still, a concept of intriguing ingenuity. ;)

(100th post! ^_^ )

Edited by Wi2P, March 17 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#22 Ariexe

Ariexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted March 17 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostWi2P, on March 17 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

has anyone else noticed that most of the mechs have no visible cockpit window. if they do it doesn't make any sence (minus the reaper and a few others)

It's a helmet mounted HUD, giving the appearance of being in the cockpit when it's all really being projected inside a helmet, or inside the mech on video screens.

How do you explain the HUD boot up sequence during the beginning of a match then_ Note that the Graphic Novel was penned and published before the current HUD existed.

You could say that the boot up system could be scanned directly on to their retinas.  Since we are in the future, there is no reason to have a retinal scan display on them that's surgically implanted in their eyes.

Surgery for every recruit that comes through the Redstone Training Facility_ Seems unlikely, given their variable ages/capabilities/status.

(100th post! ^_^ )

this is true, but I like to think of it more as a screen because the HUD looks more like its intractable. still, Magic
Posted Image

#23 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

(100th post! ^_^ )

this is true, but I like to think of it more as a screen because the HUD looks more like its intractable. still, Magic

I think each of our speculations/opinions have merit to them. ;)

And discussing a topic of lore pertaining to technological functionality in axe units and their respective pilots is a good time overall, in any case (IMO). ^_^

Magic, yes! As long as that creepy mustache guy doesn't return... O-O

#24 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:22 PM

*cough* game with giant metal mechs *cough*

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#25 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostWi2P, on March 17 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

(100th post! ^_^ )

I think each of our speculations/opinions have merit to them. ;)

And discussing a topic of lore pertaining to technological functionality in axe units and their respective pilots is a good time overall, in any case (IMO). ^_^

Magic, yes! As long as that creepy mustache guy doesn't return... O-O

As for being able to see out of the cockpit....  I'm sure the 'cockpit glass' is infused with carovite sheets to increase it's strength tenfold and that the 'glass' can darken to match the color of the metal since it's part carovite and lighten to be transparent.  Sorta like a window that can only be seen through one way but is able to switch between modes.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 17 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#26 Ariexe

Ariexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:36 PM

Spoiler
SNIP FOR CHRIST SAKES

true, but on some mechs it makes no sence, IE the g2 assault, or the assault period. where could the glass be_

I guess their could be a camera, but if thats shot or destroyed, their goes your vision
Posted Image

#27 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Spoiler
SNIP FOR CHRIST SAKES

true, but on some mechs it makes no sence, IE the g2 assault, or the assault period. where could the glass be_

I guess their could be a camera, but if thats shot or destroyed, their goes your vision

That doesn't mean you couldn't have back up cameras.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 17 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#28 Ariexe

Ariexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 17 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostAriexe, on March 17 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Spoiler
SNIP FOR CHRIST SAKES

That doesn't mean you couldn't have back up cameras.
im laughing because im imagining an assult mech covered in fuzzy bunny cameras
Posted Image

#29 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

Behold! The Cam-Mech!

#30 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostWi2P, on March 17 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Behold! The Cam-Mech!

*snickers*  Nice find! XD  Looks like we can attack our enemies with snapshots of death! Bwahahahahahaha!  But seriously, look at the Brawler and the Grenadier, the ball turret thingys on them look like they have camera lenses on them.  So....  This is probably true.

#31 Ariexe

Ariexe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted March 17 2014 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

Behold! The Cam-Mech!
I applaud so much
Posted Image

#32 SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationThe country of tea and crumpets

Posted March 18 2014 - 12:50 AM

Posted Image

Behold! The Cam-Mech!

Primary weapon: Shutter cam

Secondary weapon: Infra-red cam

Ability: OH GOD THE FLASHES, I'M BLIND
Posted Image

#33 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted March 18 2014 - 03:36 AM

In the Live Action Series Trailer, http://youtu.be/tFQ7Pg07edc the mechs were designed with windows. Some of the earlier mech designs for the game also had windows, I.e. the Infiltrator.

I think there were several reasons why this was changed.

Including a visible cockpit interior, as seen from outside the mech,  would provide a lot of technical issues. You would see the pilot, which no doubt, people would want to be able to customise. This would add to the complexity of the in game models.

This would also mean that when a mech is destroyed, you would see the pilot die.

The game has been rated for teen violence, so the cockpit screens had to be made non transparent.

It also doesn't make much sense having an armoured vehicle like these mechs, with a huge, UN-armoured cockpit screen. It's fine if you have a helicopter, because you are up in the sky. But these are more like agile tanks, and you don't have large windows on tanks.

As for the thing with the guns, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

#34 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:29 AM

Just on topic again, I guess I agree that you can't have infinite ammo in a magazine fed weapon but I think you are looking at the idea in the wrong way from your annotated image. I don't think it is one magazine that moves top through bottom. There are two barrels so this wouldn't work as the rounds would be already spent as they arrived at the lower barrel. Instead I believe they are two separate clips, one for each barrel, containing ammunition on a spring feeder. No holes necessary. Just two clip fed rifles. However, you are right that the clips would need to be changed regularly just as they do in an assault rifle. I guess you just have to take a little artistic licence with this one.
Posted Image

#35 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 17 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

Behold! The Cam-Mech!

*snickers*  Nice find! XD  Looks like we can attack our enemies with snapshots of death! Bwahahahahahaha!  But seriously, look at the Brawler and the Grenadier, the ball turret thingys on them look like they have camera lenses on them.  So....  This is probably true.

Thanks! ^^

Snapshots of death... Yush!

Also true. A few of the C-Class's do appear to have special camera "pods" on them.

#36 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:08 AM

Actually, a lot of the mechs have visible optical systems on them, similar to those seen on the AH64 Apache and other helicopter gun ships.

#37 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostSandSpider, on March 18 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

In the Live Action Series Trailer, http://youtu.be/tFQ7Pg07edc the mechs were designed with windows. Some of the earlier mech designs for the game also had windows, I.e. the Infiltrator.

I think there were several reasons why this was changed.

Including a visible cockpit interior, as seen from outside the mech,  would provide a lot of technical issues. You would see the pilot, which no doubt, people would want to be able to customise. This would add to the complexity of the in game models.

This would also mean that when a mech is destroyed, you would see the pilot die.

The game has been rated for teen violence, so the cockpit screens had to be made non transparent.

It also doesn't make much sense having an armoured vehicle like these mechs, with a huge, UN-armoured cockpit screen. It's fine if you have a helicopter, because you are up in the sky. But these are more like agile tanks, and you don't have large windows on tanks.

As for the thing with the guns, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 17 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

As for being able to see out of the cockpit....  I'm sure the 'cockpit glass' is infused with carovite sheets to increase it's strength tenfold and that the 'glass' can darken to match the color of the metal since it's part carovite and lighten to be transparent.  Sorta like a window that can only be seen through one way but is able to switch between modes.

#38 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:37 AM

Are you asking where the spent casings eject from_ They could be caseless, maybe.

As for the HUD, I always assumed that the cockpit environment was real but the "windows" are large display screens fed by outside cameras. If the physical cockpit was a projection, the designers would've made it cleaner and less chunky/mechanical. :)

So what'll really bake your noodle is: when you get hit with an ISM, why does your cockpit fuzz out as well as your screens_

#39 RazorclawXLS

RazorclawXLS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostPhasmaFelis, on March 20 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Are you asking where the spent casings eject from_ They could be caseless, maybe.

As for the HUD, I always assumed that the cockpit environment was real but the "windows" are large display screens fed by outside cameras. If the physical cockpit was a projection, the designers would've made it cleaner and less chunky/mechanical. :)

So what'll really bake your noodle is: when you get hit with an ISM, why does your cockpit fuzz out as well as your screens_

Felis hit the nail on the head. Mechs (apart from Fred it seems) don't have windowed cockpits. Cockpit's have screen displays that are fed through external cameras. On certain mechs these cameras and sight mechanisms are in [plain sight on the nose of the mech, or on the body itself.

Whoever watched Macross Plus should remember the cockpit of the YF-19 with 360 degree vision. That was posible because the sides and bottom of the cockpit are screens fed through external cameras.

Oh, and a piece of trivia - one of the prime features of the sixth generation of fighters is going to be the full 360 degree vision cockpit, just like stealth/low observability and supercruise are marks of 5th generation fighters.

Edited by RazorclawXLS, April 11 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users