HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Omega's Shield Guide to Awesomeness

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted March 20 2014 - 06:29 AM

So, as many of you know, the shield is an awesome item, but it use to be broken as hell. Now, it takes some practice to use.

So, just how do you use this dome of impenetrability_

Protection
Trap
Avoidance

Being a scout pilot, you have to use EVERYTHING you can to win. It doesn't matter what it is. Personally, I love using shields. They are awesome and give you a wide range of uses.

Protection:

The simplest way to use a shield is to just drop it and use it for cover. This is great if you are trying to avoid incoming fire, act as cover in the open or against other opponents, block a nasty barrage of hellfire, hold a point for longer, or just to buy time before the inevitable. Now, this can all be tied into using it for... other less honorable ways.

Trap:

So, you put down a shield because your low on health, huh_ The enemy is pushing in for the kill and you have very few places to go. There is no cover. If you try to escape and go across an open area, you will likely die. If stay and try to fight in the shield, you will likely die. What do you do_ You lay a trap.

Most enemies will try to boost, jump, yolo dive, dodge, or walk into the shield or walk into and immediately start with guns blazing, going after you. As you try to escape from the shield, they will own it and then own you. So, you wait toward the back of the shield and as they come in, you will see the shield deform around them. Literally, as soon as part of their mech is in, fire a secondary + primary combo (Tow + Flak) and immediately afterward dodge out. They are now in the shield with face full of damage and you are outside of it, safe and sound... mostly. If they enemy is still charging for you, then there are other options you can do. Try to lure them out of the shield after you, avoiding damage, and immediately get back into the shield. As you are going back into the should and as they are coming out, pull the same trick you just did! Depending on how much health they have left, you may be able to do the next best thing.

SURPRISE!

This works really well with the flak scout, but works fine for other mechs. If any enemy is just outside the shield or coming in toward you (they must be outside the shield). You can quickly boost forward and jump. When you jump just after a boost, there is a delay of .55 seconds for your weapons to be ready. If you time it right you can have your weapons ready as you come out of the shield. You can attempt an alpha with a dive bomb down into them or as you are in the air (and have air compressors)do a quick dodge. Then open fire with both your primary and secondary weapon at the same time. Most of the time the enemy will be caught off guard and if you have enough health, you may be able to tank through the splash damage, deal massive damage to your enemy, and even kill them before they know what happened. Or you can play it safe and not do that but still land some nice shots. If not, you may be able to do a quick dodge and followup with another shot from your flak or TOW (if it is ready). If you are up in the air hovering, you can do an air 180 back in the shield :D

Another option involves something even more devious: EMP.
If you thrown down a shield, the cool down passes, the enemy is still in the shield, and you have an EMP at your disposal, then you can lob one into the should, blowing it away, disabling your enemy's weapons and HUD. Oh how wonderful this is. Now, have fun. Oh, did I mention that this works very well even if you are low on health_

One last one. Patience.
If you are low on health or trying to gain the advantage of someone, you can always sit toward the back of the shield or inside of it. As soon as you see even a piece of the enemy come through the shield, shoot it. You will do damage.

Avoidance:

If you are being chased and you have a shield, throw it down and just keep running. Nothing like using it as another form of cover! :)

Hope this helps. Have fun and play nice. >: D

Edited by OmegaNull, May 21 2014 - 07:18 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#2 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted March 20 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'm considering Scout as one of my next-mechs-to-progress. These tricky tips could prove useful in tight spots!

Thanks for posting this. :)

Edited by Wi2P, March 20 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:43 AM

In a similar vein, if you're playing as a Scout in a map with lots of tight corridors (Origin, Wreckage, etc.) consider a blockade. Low on health_ Dash into a corridor, 180, drop the blockade, 180 again, and get the hell out of there.

#4 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:01 AM

As they come to me, I will be sharing my knowledge :) Hit me up.

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

#5 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on March 20 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

In a similar vein, if you're playing as a Scout in a map with lots of tight corridors (Origin, Wreckage, etc.) consider a blockade. Low on health_ Dash into a corridor, 180, drop the blockade, 180 again, and get the hell out of there.

Or you can be a cool kid and do 180 dodge turns, drop, dodge turn and boost away.

Posted Image

#6 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 20 2014 - 10:34 AM

good tips omega,

another one i like to do (since have he's on most mechs) is to just drop an he on the floor inside the shield so when the enemy jumps in they are met w/ a little charge.  

it's also fun to taunt from the relative safety of the shield if they just stop and watch....

#7 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 11:07 AM

View Postphed, on March 20 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

good tips omega,

another one i like to do (since have he's on most mechs) is to just drop an he on the floor inside the shield so when the enemy jumps in they are met w/ a little charge.  

it's also fun to taunt from the relative safety of the shield if they just stop and watch....

Um... what_

Posted Image

#8 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:22 PM

phed was talking about dropping an HE Charge in the shield right before an enemy jumps into it.

#9 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 04:28 PM

XD That is awesome :D

Posted Image

#10 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on March 20 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

No need to 180. Just throw the blockade in front of you and dash over it before it activates. You might actually be able to to this even at walking speed, I forget.

#11 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 04:13 AM

That too. I sadly, don't use the blockade.

Posted Image

#12 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 07:18 PM

Edited!!!

Posted Image

#13 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 07:56 PM

I remember doing this during one game on my brawler a few weeks back... only worked because for once in my whole entire hawken gaming career my FPS spiked for 30 seconds to 50...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#14 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted May 22 2014 - 02:27 AM

Here's another handy one for dealing with S.S. - Remember that you can hold down the use item to "charge" the shield, as in the longer you hold it down, the further it goes. See that Sharpshooter on the high ground, sniping at your team_

Why don't you be a gentleman and throw him a shield. Oh, now he can't shoot at your team anymore, and he has to brake off and change position, how unfortunate.... :D

You can feel the frustration ebbing off them sometimes. ;)
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#15 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 05:33 AM

thanks for reminding me i can charge the shield  DaPheel and PhasmaFelis i love doing that move you talk about, but when your a thrusting turreted brawler you sometimes dont make it over before it blocks you :( but when it works feels good (also fun to do on tight maps during spawn just thrust forward like everyone and drop it, no one will know who blockaded them in the spawn point unless your only one who got out

edit: (i dont troll much any more though)

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, May 22 2014 - 05:34 AM.

i don't mean any of it

#16 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted May 22 2014 - 05:49 AM

for the initiates, it would be invaluable to have internals that speed boost upon kills, or when health gets anxiously low, along with a little damage-to-fuel conversion

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#17 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostEM1O, on May 22 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

for the initiates, it would be invaluable to have internals that speed boost upon kills, or when health gets anxiously low, along with a little damage-to-fuel conversion
we had a similar internal which was like this and it was op

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#18 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 09:34 AM

The current speed increase internals are not worth it.

Posted Image

#19 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted May 22 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on May 22 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

The current speed increase internals are not worth it.

Vat_ The powersurger on a raider makes it faster than a scout, and when you activate your ability you get mad speeds.

Edited by shosca, May 22 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#20 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:54 PM

O Rly_ Will try this :D

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users