HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Developers hate snipers.

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted March 30 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostVVarn1ng, on March 30 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Voulcanfags
Now that is offensive!
I`ll fix it later.

#22 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted March 30 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostVVarn1ng, on March 28 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Reaper and Predator sucks to...
They don`t suck.

The Reaper is a lighter, faster but also weaker version of the SS which is best in mid-range combat. Should have the name Scout instead and the Scout should be named Reaper, as this makes more sense.

And for Gods o holy sake, the Predator is a mech made for finishing fleeing mechs and repairing mechs. It is NOT made for 1v1.
I`ll fix it later.

#23 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 03:42 PM

Why not_ Voulcanfags have 120 and 140 dps.

I don't think you understand how disgustingly overpowered 180 DPS would be on a long-range mech. Plus, why should a Sniper Rifle do more damage per second than a minigun_
In any case, you have terrible opinions on balance. Please stop.

Edited by Duralumi, March 30 2014 - 03:42 PM.

After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#24 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:13 AM

Sharpshooter and Reaper are alright. Slug rifle was somewhat ridiculously good I need to admit by being a prey few times to it. Reaper is for just like it was mentioned once mid range scout sniper while sharpshooter as this daddy strikes like a nuke upon enemies from long range. I just hope that developers would hate C class mechs those things are seriously pain to me time to time.

Yet I haven't tried scout after patch a lot but I can say he should be still what he is and no Reaper's and Scout's names doesn't need to be switched between mechs. I need to admit that Sharpshooter is still good on taking down from long range those who attempts to escape from combat and disrupt enemies from long range as they are focusing on your team mates. Vulcans has really good DPS on close range and they suffers from damage drop on long and mid range combat so don't get kiss of death by G2 assaults.

If you have ping problems you can just blame what you do while playing HAWKEN (skype, downloads or basically anyother internet connection requiring programs) or you can blame your connection manager organisation (or how I should announce that) that they doesn't have enough satisfiying connection. (Thou I don't recommend blaming them. There might be reasons why the connection can not be pleasing towards you)

#25 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:23 AM

I don't think SS players will ever be satisfied until they can 1-2 shot kill everyone... which they already can on A class.

Edited by reVelske, March 31 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#26 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted March 31 2014 - 10:51 AM

Went 18-0 on a team deathmatch game yesterday as a SS, and average about 4.0+ or greater KTD ration in most games using it.  Used the Hawkins gun.  Seems fine to me.  Not good on every map though.

Edited by renynzea, March 31 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#27 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:05 PM

A lot of heat with this, but at the end of the day isn't sniping about massive damage at long range_ The skill element can be controlled with the reload rate ie make it slow so that the sniper has to work out what the target does next in order to get the next shot on the target.
I hate been whacked by an effective sniper but role diversity is part of the game especially if you do have not the reflexes for the twitch and dodge Mechs.
Have fun good gaming to all

#28 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:07 PM

A lot of heat with this, but at the end of the day isn't sniping about massive damage at long range_ The skill element can be controlled with the reload rate ie make it slow so that the sniper has to work out what the target does next in order to get the next shot on the target.
I hate been whacked by an effective sniper but role diversity is part of the game especially if you do have not the reflexes for the twitch and dodge Mechs.
Have fun good gaming to all

#29 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 01 2014 - 02:33 PM

Well as a dedicated reaper player I feel like its absolutely useless as a sniper, so I play it like one would normally play a berserker or a scout, however, I also absolutely hate snipers (despite my play of what is technically a sniper) so I think the nerf is good, just learn to play SS differently.

Edited by Frisbee_Player, April 01 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#30 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:27 AM

The Reaper and SS do fine with this alleged "nerf". But I can't help but be curious about what they did in-game before I started playing. Don't give me stats, I want to see what the damage did and how it affected the game and playstyle. Even better if I could play with those older stats and feel what they did

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#31 Lezo

Lezo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:35 AM

In counter strike, where combat usual has a duration of few seconds, killing with one or two shoot with sniper is right.

The problem is when you try to use a sniper mech like in those games. I play always with reaper and i found it is useless to spect killing other mechs only by standing in a placer an shooting twice, because that doesnt work obiously.

Hawken is a game where:

A) Mech are slow and have reduced line of sight in comparation with classical shooter games (you cant turn around so quick).
B) Combats have a duration of over 30 s usually.

So I think sniper damage is right, the way a mech should snipe in this game is:

A) Forget to take a static place, you have always to be moving and changing your line of sight, this game is always related to shoot and cover, shoot and cover, and if things go wrong you have to scape. So, if I know there's a sniper in a place, i will always take cover where he is not allowed to shoot me. If i take cover and I havent see the sniper....BOOOMB, I'm dead because of him or the mech im covering from.

B) Snipers are used in this game to make suppression fire. The longer you make enemies to take cover, the more chance your team have to win. So snipers, if cannot shoot covering enemies or low life or fleeing enemies should damage class A mech, avoiding them to take part in fight because they need to cover and flee if they dont want to die. So your team can focus on B ar C classes.

C) You cannot spect to kill a lot of enemies with a sniper class, as they would normally flee when on low life or maybe you are not quick enough to shoot at them when fleeing from battle.

So , as I understand sniper class mech like this, i think damage is okay and the problem is the concept of understanding sniper class in this game, as it doesnt work like classical shooters.

#32 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostVVarn1ng, on March 27 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Stupid developers

uh, watch out brother

Posted Image

#33 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted April 05 2014 - 11:44 AM

View Postnokari, on March 27 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

And seriously_ 180+ dps_ lol

Idk, maybe because people using the Vulcan need to actually get in the fray (and risk taking damage) to deal damage_
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#34 Blood_Jester

Blood_Jester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 02:29 PM

To quote totalbiscuit: "you know that guy_ everybody knows that guy, that guy is the guy with the sniper rifle, on the multiplayer shooter team. He fancies himself very important, very important!. He is the linchpin of the team ofcourse!!!. How could he be anything else_ he sits there with his sniper rifle, in a corner........ for about five hours..... picking peope off"

On a more serious note, no, the sharpshooter and reaper do not need a damage buff, they are fine the way they are. Make a game where snipers do too much damage and dominate the battle and the whole game will be filled with snipers. The other problem is players who play snipers in other games automatically assume the rules should be applied to hawken.

There are good sharpshooter and reaper players out there but in all the games I played where the reaper or SS dominated it wasn't just the aim of the player that made them the most important player, but the fact they worked with their team i.e. they actually followed their team, they stayed far enough back to avoid being destroyed yet close enough to be within range of support, they actually stood on the AA or missile silo, etc.

Edited by Blood_Jester, April 05 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#35 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostAregon, on March 30 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

And for Gods o holy sake, the Predator is a mech made for finishing fleeing mechs and repairing mechs. It is NOT made for 1v1.
One small flaw in the design though... the predator sucks at doing that too. Unless by some miracle a mech runs into your mines which is unlikely since they can be seen a mile away and cover a small area in a game where there are tons of alternate routes...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#36 Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPA USA

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostBazookagofer, on April 05 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

View PostAregon, on March 30 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

One small flaw in the design though... the predator sucks at doing that too. Unless by some miracle a mech runs into your mines which is unlikely since they can be seen a mile away and cover a small area in a game where there are tons of alternate routes...

80% of the time i would agree with this but i know a couple pilots who have mind melded or something with their pred and just dominate with it (LordT). Yes, I'm a little jelly of them too
How will you spend eternity_ Smoking or Non-Smoking_
Posted Image
Chillen with the banger

#37 MarNoahCus

MarNoahCus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted April 06 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostGabbahead, on March 28 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Wrong!
Developes hate C-class mechs.
Sad, but true...

Yaaarp

I pilot a Rocketeer... and it is ... a lot of fun but also very frustrating at times.

Seriously In the Siege games and missile games i played so far i have not seen many Snipers who where mooving much. If you have to capture an objective it is nice to have somebody guard that spot... but if these snipers don't move much at all ... come on. And i dont think Snipers should moan. There are still a few maps that seriously favour Snipers. I am mid to long range too but i mingle and try to wreack havock up close. Sometimes with terrible sometimes with successful results. Besides... Real snipers are deadly not because they fire a 120mm weapon but because they relocate fast, often and tactical... They are a detergent like a carrier... if a sniper is on scene people WILL keep their heads low just because he is there... Did i just contradict myself_ No... Snipers use vantage points... they don't camp... Camping snipers are dead snipers... in this game most snipers actually camp. Or the ones i have seen so far... Camping is not a sign of skill imo ...

Enough of my rambling i am starting a whole different topic here wich wasn't my intention. Sowwy! :wacko:
"And shepherds we shall be, For Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti." (The Boondock Saints)

Posted Image

#38 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostMarNoahCus, on April 06 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostGabbahead, on March 28 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Wrong!
Developes hate C-class mechs.
Sad, but true...

Yaaarp

I pilot a Rocketeer... and it is ... a lot of fun but also very frustrating at times.

Seriously In the Siege games and missile games i played so far i have not seen many Snipers who where mooving much. If you have to capture an objective it is nice to have somebody guard that spot... but if these snipers don't move much at all ... come on. And i dont think Snipers should moan. There are still a few maps that seriously favour Snipers. I am mid to long range too but i mingle and try to wreack havock up close. Sometimes with terrible sometimes with successful results. Besides... Real snipers are deadly not because they fire a 120mm weapon but because they relocate fast, often and tactical... They are a detergent like a carrier... if a sniper is on scene people WILL keep their heads low just because he is there... Did i just contradict myself_ No... Snipers use vantage points... they don't camp... Camping snipers are dead snipers... in this game most snipers actually camp. Or the ones i have seen so far... Camping is not a sign of skill imo ...

Enough of my rambling i am starting a whole different topic here wich wasn't my intention. Sowwy! :wacko:
Not often do people last long enough to catch and kill a camping sniper (not I said not often, I've been caught, pinned and slaughtered by Axes who where more than likely pissed at me for camping). Also, Reaper (.... little reapy ....) is excellent at keeping low and sniping, better than SS. Also good a relocating and keeping up with team to tag and shoot down wounded Axes (called hunting by some). Camping is also the better way to survive if you can keep your head up high, as a sniper, but it can have consequences.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#39 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:44 AM

View Postnokari, on March 27 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

And seriously_ 180+ dps_ lol

You hurt my baby Vulcan's feelings.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#40 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 09:01 PM

BTW. I have played with 200 ping or more and I can do alright with it. So deal with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users