HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grenadier Tips_

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Crocket101

Crocket101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 12:44 AM

Aside from the somewhat obvious "aim right" and "don't use turret mode (usually,)" and using indirect combat like a meanie (such as front line siege AA clash,) is there any grenadier tips_ Anything that could be somewhat easy, or complicated. Also, it would be interesting to see what other people would say about the Grenadier, and the advices for it.

Mainly this is just to see how everyone reacts to grenadiers seeing as how I rarely run into them. :/ I know they're good stuff, just not used too often from my experience.

EDIT: Performance tweaks are welcome!

Edited by Crocket101, March 28 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#2 Simp

Simp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 01:41 AM

The grenadier's turret mode is actually pretty great in the right situation.That damage boost is dangerous.

Edit: When people say don't use the turret mode, they normally mean you shouldn't use it when initiating a battle. When there's a bunnyfest already in progress you have the advantage of knowing where your teammates are and where your enemies are and most importantly where they can hit you from. I've won countless fights by rapidly switching at the right moment to alphastrike the fuzzy bunny out of surprised enemies. I'm pretty sure A classes can get OHKO'd or close from one turret mode Rev-GL and Grenade shot.

Remember, always keep your back covered. Your enemies will try to do you from behind whenever possible.

Edited by Simp, March 28 2014 - 02:19 AM.

Peek-a-BOOM

#3 Gabbahead

Gabbahead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationVladivostok, "forest" graveyard

Posted March 28 2014 - 02:13 AM

Good choice, pilot!
But grenadier is a most dificult mech in the game. It's very hard to play by gren.
Of course you must use Rev-gl. (otherwise why you take gren_)
So:
1.Try to predict enemy's moving direction and fire at preempt(speed of your bullets is very slow).
2.Use the walls for getting ricochet kills (both weapons have ricocheting ability)
3.Don't break away from teammates, always stay behind them, grenadier is a support mech in the first place.
4.Use the superiority of the high places: if the enemys are in the distance, rise above and transform to the turret mode (arillery spaming is damn good at the right time).
5.Don't come at the open area, use corners and pillars as refuge.

I hope this tips will help you and i wasn't KO for you ;)
Good luck in your mastery of this nice mech.

Edited by Gabbahead, March 28 2014 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]IIuLLlu TpaHc/\uToM. 6ygb My)i(ukoM, 6/\eaTb![/font]

#4 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted March 28 2014 - 02:29 AM

Check this. :)

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#5 Gabbahead

Gabbahead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 02:39 AM

View PostLinearFox, on March 28 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

Check this.
Nice.
Here is another one:

UPD. When i say "predict enemy's moving direction and fire at preempt", i mean this:

UPD #2. Confirm friendship in the game, 2 grenadiers at one team - it's a power!

Edited by Gabbahead, March 28 2014 - 05:56 AM.

Posted Image

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]IIuLLlu TpaHc/\uToM. 6ygb My)i(ukoM, 6/\eaTb![/font]

#6 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:44 AM

I had so much fun leveling my grenadier. Rev-GL is abit hard to use, but very deadly.

I bought MK3 shield for my grenadier, it's fun to approach an enemy, toss a shield and wait for him to follow you inside - BOOOOOM two nades in the face followed by dodging out of the shield.

And don't forget to check obvious places where enemies repair often. It will pay off once you do a triplekill by spitting two nades into a group of repairing enemies!

Grenadier is literally tons of fun.
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#7 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:51 AM

I still get one up on you linear fox :)

#8 Crocket101

Crocket101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 10:38 AM

From what I see: (ofc imo)

-Grenade launcher is a 1000x better dealing with air targets vs rev-gl (kinda sad to rely on only 1 wep vs air targets, but oh wells)

-SPAM!!! Especially where you'd think they'd run to

-Turret mode is very strictly situational (I have to admit, I love the feel of OHKO-ing a-classes via turret)

-Shield OP! (nah idk, it looks at least decent though, but whenever I run into a shield, I'd just pop the shield by wailing away at it surprising those who thinks the shield is invincible)

-Situational awareness!

But yea, thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated, also performance tweaks while making the game look nice will be welcome here :D I'm too lazy to mess with the files, I had enough of that in blacklight. (Hud tweaker, anybody_ and I mean not just that cockpit customization, I mean something else, like some sort of software that would easily set up the video settings, texture, etc just like the blacklight hud tweaker. Just google it to know what I'm talking about :) )

My mmr is actually decent, just as the original point was though I wanted to see dem inputs ^_^

EDIT: When I overclock, my frame drops. What's up with that_ Also, what internals you guys run for grenadier_

Edited by Crocket101, March 28 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#9 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 11:14 AM

I just use vulcan and tear em up...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#10 LinearFox

LinearFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted March 28 2014 - 01:48 PM

As for internals, Im currently using a power surger evasive device and fuel converter. Although I'm still experimenting on the other choices that best fit the combo with my playstyle and items. :) check this thread i made. https://community.pl...combo-setups-o/ :) Hope that helps.

Ciao! :)

Posted Image

South Asia Team

LinearFOX

#11 Gabbahead

Gabbahead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 05:13 PM

My internals set for grenadier:
Posted Image
Advanced armor fusor mk3, deflectors mk2 and basic fuel converter.
By the way - this is universal set for all mechs (besides berserker and rocketeer. This is a FLYING mechs, motherlover! Use Air compressor!)

By the way: this crosshars configuration is pretty nise for grenadier (for the fireing by arch path)
Posted Image

Edited by Gabbahead, March 28 2014 - 10:46 PM.

Posted Image

#12 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 01 2014 - 05:37 PM

If you get the heat cannon on the grenadier you can play it like a heavy infiltrator. Dealing high burst to enemies in a game of peek-a-boo is always fun. Heat cannon has a learning curve of its own but it offers up much more burst and range than the rev-gl. It's tougher to use than the rev-gl, but it's worth learning.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#13 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 01 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on April 01 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

If you get the heat cannon on the grenadier you can play it like a heavy infiltrator. Dealing high burst to enemies in a game of peek-a-boo is always fun. Heat cannon has a learning curve of its own but it offers up much more burst and range than the rev-gl. It's tougher to use than the rev-gl, but it's worth learning.

Just to add:  Heat cannon is also great to use on enemies bunched up together, it might not be as good as Rev GL for area denial.  But it's so much fun watching a group of mechs repairing close together and you finish them off with a Heat + GL combo. :D  On a related note, I call my Gren 'Fatfiltrator' when it has heat cannon equipped. XD

#14 Gabbahead

Gabbahead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on April 01 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

There is a so many mechs, which have heat cannon and have more tactical advantages (run speed, boost speed e t.c.), but only grenadier have rev-gl, so: go and play with heat cannon on any other mechPosted Image.
Leave grenadier alone with his rev-gl!

Posted Image

#15 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 01 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostGabbahead, on April 01 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

There is a so many mechs, which have heat cannon and have more tactical advantages (run speed, boost speed e t.c.), but only grenadier have rev-gl, so: go and play with heat cannon on any other mechPosted Image.
Leave grenadier alone with his rev-gl!

There's only 4, actually: Infiltrator, Scout, Rocketeer and Grenadier. I use the heat cannon on all of them.  Heat rocketeer is really fun, by the way. Not easy to use, but pretty damn awesome when you use it right.

I'm not saying the Rev-GL is bad, in fact it's really similar to playing the TF2 Demoman which is the reason why I like it so much. Love getting ricochet kills. I just prefer the heat cannon. Feels more like the Soldier, which I'm better at, so. In the end, it's just preference.

The Vulcan, however.... Ugh... Hate using that thing...
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users