HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Weapon Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GearsTw0

GearsTw0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 06:38 PM

So, weapon upgrades;  are they to encourage different types of play or something_  I pilot a scout, and I decided to get a heat cannon; after playing through siege mode with it I have come to the conclusion that it was not an upgrade at all.  The heat cannon does not seem to mesh well with the Scouts game play at all.  I'm not saying it's a bad gun, I just don't understand why it is an upgrade for the Scout.  Is it so players can challenge them selves_  Is it for those who don't like how the Scout plays and want to try something else_

I don't know, I just feel as though I wasted money on a weapon that does not work well for my mech.  Is it possible to return weapons or to try them out before you by them_  Is there any weapons that really are up grades for their respective mechs_

#2 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostGearsTw0, on March 31 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

So, weapon upgrades;  are they to encourage different types of play or something_

Yes, yes they are.

Players may choose what weapons they want and deem suitable for their style of play. Heat cannon can be an upgrade or a downgrade depending on whether you're good or bad with it. It takes some skill to handle though, so you may not use it well at the start.

No weapons are necessarily "upgrades" at all. It just depends on what fits for you.

And no, you cannot currently return OR try out weapons before you buy them, though I would like weapon testing to be implemented greatly.

EDIT:
Also, found this by Omega a few seconds after posting this:

View PostOmegaNull, on March 19 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Heat Cannon - This weapon is scary. VERY scary when put into the right hands. Its AOE (Area of Effect) is very high and allows a pilot to rely on splash damage from indirect hits (or direct hits). It also allows for ranged combat as the heat cannon has a very long effective range (when aimed well). Its variable firing speed also grants it very high DPS ability. However, it is very difficult to use against fly opponents, especially those with air compressor. AOE prevents a pilot from fighting up close (even with fail safe) due to risk of damage from splash (in addition to the TOW). Heat output is also high but manageable.

Edited by Trych, March 31 2014 - 06:58 PM.

ideas are bad

#3 GearsTw0

GearsTw0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info
I just don't think it fits with the theme of the Scout.  Maybe a high rate of fire short range weapon would have been better.

Also, is there a plan to allow people to upgrade/swap out their secondary weapons_

#4 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 07:17 PM

Regarding the word "upgrade", new weapons aren't supposed to be upgrades, just options for a different playstyle.

View PostGearsTw0, on March 31 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the info
I just don't think it fits with the theme of the Scout.  Maybe a high rate of fire short range weapon would have been better.

Also, is there a plan to allow people to upgrade/swap out their secondary weapons_
It's deliberately odd, the idea is to have a different style of scout.  Granted, this was also set up back when there weren't many weapons available, so there weren't a lot of other things they could have put on it.  Now that it's a well-established playstyle that many people use and have put in credits for, it isn't likely to be changed.

As for secondary options, perhaps, but I would expect that to come from the "G2" series of mechs, which are supposed to vary the playstyles more significantly without being entirely new mechs.  It's a pity that the G2 assault has to be such rubbish though, it brings shame to the name of assault.

#5 SnookayDcc

SnookayDcc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 11:03 AM

The heat cannon took me an hour to get used to and i'm still learning it. I think it's cool I wish I knew exactly how much damage the charged version does over the normal shot. I'm getting better and will continue to play with it. One reason is because no one else using it :)

#6 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 01 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostSnookayDcc, on April 01 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

The heat cannon took me an hour to get used to and i'm still learning it. I think it's cool I wish I knew exactly how much damage the charged version does over the normal shot. I'm getting better and will continue to play with it. One reason is because no one else using it :)

[Uncharged 71.5, Charged 85 damage.] it's much faster charged though.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#7 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 06:04 PM

I feel with the lower health, its less of a risk to use something more sustained like an AR. Before Steam, it made more sense to try to use weapons like the Heat Cannon because you needed every single DPS you can get to kill someone. But now its less of a risk and its just as easy to use the sustained weapons.

#8 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 22 2014 - 03:23 AM

I need to show you my Heat Scout some time. With a simple pilar or even a rock for cover, I can deal out MAJOR damage and be nearly untouchable. Heat cannon takes a lot of getting used to, and I mean a lot. But once you learn the weapon, I guarantee you won't want any other.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users