HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

So, what mech uses the EOC Repeater most effectively_

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 anorphan

anorphan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hey all, just wanted to talk about this weird weapon. High burst damage, slow travel speed but can be used as an area-denail tool. So, for the mechs that have access (Raider, Infiltrator, Predator, or Rocketeer) to it, who uses it the best_ Or maybe the root question is, what playstyle does the EOC repeater most complement.

Personally, I want some advice because I'm torn about getting it on my Raider or waiting to get it for a future Infiltrator, but I definitely would like to hear people's general thoughts on this weapon. I want to try something a little different form the conventional primary (left side) weapons.

#2 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:47 PM

Infiltrator is best, fallowed by Raider, Rocketeer has better options, and why even bother with Predator_

#3 anorphan

anorphan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the response, Coboxite. That was a bit of the general sentiment I gathered when looking through the forums. But more explictly, if I can ask, why is EOC a better weapon on Infiltrator than Raider, for example_

In my opinion, new Raider is highly dependant on burst weaponry (I love using the T-32 Bolt on mine and I can't stand the Reflak) so is there something about the EOC that makes it less desirable for this role of burst assasin_ Is it because Infiltrator can be sneaker or does the grenade launcher synergize better with EOC compared to the Corsair_

#4 Trych

Trych

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 07:52 PM

I agree with Coboxite, but be warned. This weapon is difficult to learn and you should consider that when looking to purchase primaries.

ideas are bad

#5 anorphan

anorphan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostTrych, on April 01 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

I agree with Coboxite, but be warned. This weapon is difficult to learn and you should consider that when looking to purchase primaries.

Thanks for the warning. The high difficulty curve of the EOC ( apart from the high cost of new weapons) is the reason I wanted to throughly investigate this issue. I have a Raider now (and I love the March changes although I was not playing during the Raider's hayday) and I was wondering if it would be worth it to expand to EOC.

On the other hand, I've been eyeing a light mech for my next purchase with Infilitrator as the most likely candidate and was thinking that maybe I should just wait. I hear the assault rifle is not the optimal weapon for Infiltrator so unless I would want to grind to level 5 using that, I would have to buy and learn how to use the EOC anyway. And I'd rather not expand HC at the moment at least on redundant playstyles.

I'm really glad to have you two chime in though, Hawken forums seem to be, on the whole, a little anemic.

#6 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted April 01 2014 - 08:13 PM

Allow me to be expand:
Infiltrator is best because of better speed and a complementary secondary(Grenade launcher).
Raider is also decent do to having more health and a superior ability, held back by a so-so secondary.
Nothing is wrong with Rocketeer, but Seeker and HEAT cannon works much better with it.
Predator is awful in general, and breacher is typically better suited for it anyway.

#7 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted April 01 2014 - 11:54 PM

People usually don't try to dodge your alpha when you stand cloaked next to them :ph34r: but I'm sure it can work as good on a raider it's just a matter of practice and developing a playstyle..

#8 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:03 AM

I personally find EOC thoroughly enjoyable on Rocketeer, EOC and Hellfire compliment each other quite well, both provide excellent suppression and area denial, and it's always fun forcing people to dodge into EOC with Hellfire.

#9 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:47 AM

I've only used it on infil.  Pretty sure I nuked you a bunch of times haha.

I played against a rocketeer who used this (first time I've ever seen one use it!) and they switched pretty quick... it's actually pretty interesting on rocketeer for suppression, but once you get into actual combat it's kinda tough to use if your team isn't doing very well.

Infil is good to use it on because you can use the secondary effectively (well, if you can aim) to do damage when you inevitably miss a lot of eoc shots.

It's interesting on raider and pred as well because of the alpha potential, but if you miss... it would be tough with raider because of loooong reload time on corsair, and predator handicaps you even more when someone is up in your face.

#10 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:42 AM

It's most easily used on the Infiltrator, for sure.

I personally love the Mid-range devastation I can pull off with it on my infiltrator and raider without giving my enemies a chance to corner me. I also like the raw damage when alpha striking someone in my predator with it. Very satisfying. However I haven't used it on the Rocketeer as of yet, so I can't really say anything on that subject.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#11 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:03 AM

View Postmittens800, on April 02 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

It's interesting on raider and pred as well because of the alpha potential, but if you miss... it would be tough with raider because of loooong reload time on corsair, and predator handicaps you even more when someone is up in your face.

EOC works for team fights and holding objectives. T-32 has a much more forgiving reload time and is better on fast targets.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#12 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 14 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostCoboxite, on April 01 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

Raider is also decent do to having more health and a superior ability, held back by a so-so secondary.

A so-so secondary_
It's a great secondary, basicly a bigger, badder Grenade Launcher, but one that explodes on impact.
You just have to time it more carefully, that doesn't mean it's 'so-so'.

I'd say Raider is better with EOC when pitted against an EOC Infiltrator.
Why_

HP, a seriously good ability for corner poking, and more damage.
If you hit once with both the KLA(normal mode) and EOC, the Infiltrator is doomed.
It can't run away thanks due to the Raider's ability,
and he'll be so low on HP that it has already pretty much lost the fight.

The secondary just takes more timing, that's all.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#13 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:23 AM

Corsair is fine as a trench warfare/corner poking weapon, as is EOC too obviously, but I find that particular playstyle to be highly counter-intuitive to the role of Raider. Sure, having two modes on Corsair signals that the bot was built with versatility in mind, and having EOC even being an option to an otherwise close-combat-oriented mech reinforces that idea as well. But, if you intend to play him the way his name and ability suggests, that is, to blitz behind enemy line, disrupt and draw attention of your enemies whilst dealing good damage, hopefully get out or push the enemies back with the help of your team, then you'll find that Corsair is highly lacking, mostly due to the long reload time. As people have said in various other threads, if you miss your MIRV in a firefight/duel, you are essentially dead.

As far as I'm concerned, going with EOC on Raider just limits him to a corner-poking/trench warefare/area denial role, I personally have extreme difficulty adjusting my mindset to it, and it just seems to me that several other mechs do a better job at that than Raider.

#14 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostreVelske, on April 14 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

As far as I'm concerned, going with EOC on Raider just limits him to a corner-poking/trench warefare/area denial role, I personally have extreme difficulty adjusting my mindset to it, and it just seems to me that several other mechs do a better job at that than Raider.

Well, EOC on Infil limits it to a corner-poking, etc role as well IMO.

Raider can run away faster when getting rushed then the Infiltrator as well, thanks to it's ability,
and it's not f###'d up when hit by 1 TOW, unlike the A-class Infil.

I'd like people's opinions on this, as I just don't see how the Infiltrator is better with EOC, just easier to play.

EDIT: Yes, if you miss a shot with the KLA you're at a big disadvantage/dead.
That doesn't mean it's bad, just hard to play with.

Edited by Meraple, April 14 2014 - 05:41 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#15 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted April 14 2014 - 06:21 AM

It's bad because it's ill-suited for Raider's main function at the moment, that is, to invade people's personal space and make them uncomfortable. If you rather KLA than MIRV with EOC and corner poke all day, than sure, it works.

#16 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:20 AM

Infiltrator. GL adds much needed reliability on top of huge potential burst damage. The ability is decent in getting into a good position and often lets you have the first shot.

#17 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 14 2014 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, not even going into what mechs that can use the EOC have the most OPTIMAL FLANK RATIO or whatever the hell, I still feel the EOC works best on the Infiltrator or Predator just because of how it meshes with their secondary weapons.

Infiltrator, you have the large and splashy Grenade launcher, and you are fast enough to get away if things go bad.

Predator, a double dose of explosive hockey pucks.  While most Preds I see seem pretty horrible, the ones who suddenly go on a murder spree tend to be ones nailing people in the Robutt from across the map with a double EOC combo.

Raider. Well, uh... Hope you like a slow and awkward explosive primary to go along with your even slower, even more awkward secondary_  No, no, it's not your fault EOC, it's our fault for not nailing that SICK NASTY BURST FLANK.  You only hit us because you love us and are not good enough to never miss.

Rocketeer.  I just feel really weird not using rockets on the rocketeer.  It could actually be amazing but it just feels wrong because NOT ROCKETS.

#18 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:41 PM

EOC Rocketeer is awful to face with a team backing it up on Siege, floor is explosives, air is filled with Hellfires.

EOC Raider, more effective range but the skill needed to land both weapons goes though the roof.
If you can make it work, look into getting Grenadier and make better use of your skill.

Edited by Stingz, April 14 2014 - 07:47 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#19 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 22 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostreVelske, on April 14 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

It's bad because it's ill-suited for Raider's main function at the moment, that is, to invade people's personal space and make them uncomfortable. If you rather KLA than MIRV with EOC and corner poke all day, than sure, it works.
EOC MIRV combo deals some of the highest burst in the game. It's not easy to use it offensively, but if you can sneak up on someone, you can flat out murder them. I use it more for objective games as a defensive raider. Where it really shines is digging out a pesky C class from its hole. One of the toughest play styles to learn, but fun as all hell and downright destructive.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#20 Jami_KILLAH

Jami_KILLAH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 09:42 PM

Basically I use the EOC Repeater for Pred, mostly because of how the firing works for me (I'am a CoD player that uses M16A4s with ACOG scopes and GL equipment on MW2) and how the way it handles to my style of firing weapons, I mostly use the weapon for killing repairing mechs (usually I'am expecting their health to be 1/4 after getting damaged).

I still do agree with Coboxite about the weapon being much more suitable for Infil mech, but I disagree a little when it comes to the Pred mech, heck I easily learned the way EOC Repeater works on my 1st try on Pred mech
(simply an M16A4 that fires explosive ammunition which can either make contact or simply work as a mine when not in contact with other mechs).

I don't bother using Breacher, bullet travel time sucks especially when it becomes charged while having a ping of 200+ or less, and T-32 Bolt is for 'up-and-close fast firing shotgun players'.

Edited by Jami_KILLAH, May 01 2014 - 09:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users