HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Scout/Infiltrator OP_

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Scout/Infiltrator OP_ (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Well, are they_

1. No, they're both perfectly balanced. (28 votes [65.12%])

Percentage of vote: 65.12%

2. Both of them are completely game-breaking. (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

3. Scout is overpowered, but Infiltrator is okay. (12 votes [27.91%])

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

4. Infiltrator is just fine, it's those Scouts we need worry about. (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted April 25 2014 - 11:38 PM

It seems to me that the Scout and Infiltrator are both stupidly overpowered. Eighty percent of my screenshots are of one of these two axes, and it's rather flustering at times. And please note, this is the first time I've EVER seriously considered anything OP in ANY game. But maybe it's just me. Thoughts_

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted April 26 2014 - 12:06 AM

hey, the last two choices mean the same! :P

But my Vote: Scout abit too pwoerful (due to easy use) and Infiltrator is okey (as long as it does not use AR)

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted April 26 2014 - 12:24 AM

Seeing as you seem, SEEM, new I'm guessing you've probably not actually had a chance to learn how to counter or even play as a Scout or Infiltrator, have you_ Their whole thing is flanking/getting in and out quickly. This probably explains why you're dying so much to them.

Make sure you have a Radar Scanner, until you're confident with tracking, and then actually monitor your radar. Stick with your team (in team games) and utilize cover and cornering tactics more often. Also, you'll come to trust your eye when it comes to spotting cloaked enemies; just make sure to watch your flank. It'll do you a world of good, especially in the staying alive department.

A general rule of thumb to remember is that when you die, check the scoreboard. If the enemies have Scouts or Infies, make sure to watch your butt extra close. Players who know what they're doing with Scout and Infie can destroy enemies. They are, as the devs wanted, genuine glass cannons. With proper use it's hard to hit them.

And nobody likes getting buttstabbed.

EDIT: Add some middle-of-the-road options like "Both mechs are fine at the moment. But a tweak or two wouldn't hurt." Having only extremes is bad. Just a thought.

Edited by Zdragow, April 26 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#4 BigLag

BigLag

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hi jack, you'll need to play one to understand how weak scout and inf can be.  

I love my heat scout... not so much my eoc inf.. but they can get husked by any good pilot if I make 1 small dodge mistake or missing 1 or 2 damage bursts.

Im not an uber pilot compared to some.. but im good enough.

To be honest reaper are pretty crazy, you should be scared of a good reaper pilot. they  can be a real threat in any battle if they are played as sniper support.. bursting 1 & 2 using slug rifle can knock 50% health off and the rest of the team can easily finish the kill.

Edited by BigLag, April 26 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#5 VocalMagic

VocalMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 03:22 AM

I like how there are two options claiming that only the scout is OP while infiltrator is fine/OK

I'll try shouting it again today: "Saturnine! Saturnine! Stop the spam, Saturnine!"

_, ,_ ∩ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
( ゚∀゚)彡 S9!S9!▒▒▒
 ⊂彡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

#6 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 04:12 AM

I find em bothersome personally, but I got technical issues on my side, here the list :
-blind
-18 FPS
-deaf
-mute
- Lost both my limbs in the Iraq War
-Paralyzed from the hair down

So you see_ Only reason is because I got technical issues, apart from that their fine.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#7 Knat

Knat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted April 26 2014 - 05:57 AM

I play both mechs a lot. And the outcome is always based on what mechs the other team is packing, and how they play.

I often target mechs who get separated from their team, or i rush in to finalize a kill when I see a badly wounded mech.

But very often I find myself dying over and over again, ending up with a K/D ratio of 1.0

Sometimes i get killed by a single tow followed by a single shot. Two hits and I am dead.

So no, I don't think they are overpowered. It takes a lot of pratice to succeed with these fragile mechs.

#8 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 06:24 AM

As they "do" get tke kill you feel that they rock (high score, often in death cam') but I don't think they're OP. They are fun to play 'cause rewarding, also a bit frustrating as every glass cannon. They are annoying to play against but leave them as they are
Posted Image

#9 Dinre

Dinre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 06:51 AM

Personally, I think they tweaked something that changed Scout performance.  I don't know what it is, but just a few weeks ago, my Scout was performing as I expected.  This week, though, I am having stupidly good runs with the Scout.  It feels so perfectly tuned, and I've been able to really dominate.  If I hadn't been playing for so long, I would think it was my own skill that had suddenly changed, but this feels more like a game tweak.

Posted Image

#10 BigLag

BigLag

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostSatelliteJack, on April 25 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

It seems to me that the Scout and Infiltrator are both stupidly overpowered. ....Thoughts_

Oh, one more thing Jack, if you get a Bruiser with SMG you can control A-Mech flanks quite well. Using the mech ability and hellfire, you can force them into defensive manoeuvres / taking cover. You can peel off some health from them with the hell fire and let the team/wing man finish the kill. If you are alone, well, good luck.

#11 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted April 26 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm not going to call either of them OP.  But from my personal experience-

As a Victim:  GOOD Scouts kill me easier than Good Infiltrators, GOOD scouts are harder to kill than Good Infiltrators.  Too many Infiltrator (and predator) Pilots think you can't see them when cloaked and eat a free TOW/Grenade to their face because they are not playing evasively anymore, or even standing completely still.  Even a bad scout pilot will not have that feeling of false safety.

As a Pilot: I am terrible with Scout (and Flak, see Flak Brawler and Raider personal badness).  Majority of my [airquotes]Good[/airquotes] Scout play I had to be even more sneaky than an infiltrator, due to the effective range of the Flak weapons.  Plus I prefer double tap mode which is not as helpful to full bore nonstop ground dodging spam to abuse a C classes turn cap being unable to keep up with that.
  With the Infiltrator, I had a much easier and enjoyable time and the gameplay and kills felt more natural to me, don't even have an Air Compressor on my Infiltrator (Which I swear by on my Berserker).

I see a lot of people saying "If you are going to play Heat Infiltrator, you may as well play heat scout".  But to my mindset, it is the other way around because if you are not good at the in your face flak Scout, you may as well take the Infiltrator's bigger HP pool if you are going to play Heat Peek-A-Boo.  Unless the grenade launcher instead of TOW is a dealbreaker to you that is.

Tl;DR:  A GOOD Scout is much more scary than a Good Infiltrator.  But it feels a lot harder to GET Good with a Scout than it is an Infiltrator.  Which is half the reason I hate the Scouts who I can't touch as they murder me in 2 seconds because DAMNIT I SUCK AT SCOUT.  Being reasonably good at Infil and Berserker does not carry over to Flak Scout skill in my case.

Edited by SectionZ, April 26 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#12 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostFakeName, on April 26 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

hey, the last two choices mean the same! :P

That's what I get for making posts after midnight. :P

Posted Image

#13 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostZdragow, on April 26 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

Seeing as you seem, SEEM, new I'm guessing you've probably not actually had a chance to learn how to counter or even play as a Scout or Infiltrator, have you_ Their whole thing is flanking/getting in and out quickly. This probably explains why you're dying so much to them.

Make sure you have a Radar Scanner, until you're confident with tracking, and then actually monitor your radar. Stick with your team (in team games) and utilize cover and cornering tactics more often. Also, you'll come to trust your eye when it comes to spotting cloaked enemies; just make sure to watch your flank. It'll do you a world of good, especially in the staying alive department.

A general rule of thumb to remember is that when you die, check the scoreboard. If the enemies have Scouts or Infies, make sure to watch your butt extra close. Players who know what they're doing with Scout and Infie can destroy enemies. They are, as the devs wanted, genuine glass cannons. With proper use it's hard to hit them.

And nobody likes getting buttstabbed.

EDIT: Add some middle-of-the-road options like "Both mechs are fine at the moment. But a tweak or two wouldn't hurt." Having only extremes is bad. Just a thought.

I've got less than 80 hours, so a vet I am not, that's for sure. ;P And buttstabbed_ Are  you a TF2 fan_ And yeah, extremes aren't the best, so I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for all the feedback.

Posted Image

#14 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 10:14 PM

One tip from me as mostly using Infiltrator.

Do not follow him behind the corners unless you want to have a meeting with grenade right at the face. Do not fly a lot when you have Infiltrator on your sight you become his breakfast if you do so. Do not stand between or close of walls or Infiltrator gives you a really solid answer why (Grenade at back or face)

For scout *Bruiser, Raider and Incinerator walks in* These guys when correctly played will make scouts cry... A lot.

#15 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 03:14 AM

vanguard in turret gets them pesky lightweights pretty good, they are predictable when in turret, they alwase try to flank you. nadelauncher has good air burst damage to swap the flying ones
i don't mean any of it

#16 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 05:24 AM

They are not OP, specially a flak scout now that they got rid of the weapons raise jump bug, because now a scout can no longer circle strafe an opponent quite as well.  Still possible just not as effective cause it takes longer to bring someone down cause of it now, getting rid of that bug has actually hurt the scout more than people think for flak scout.  Now a heat scout if played still defensive / corner playing then not so much really.  The Inf is not OP specially with teh eoc or heat really cause those are just hard to use :).  But really the advantage like another poster said is these 2 flank really well and if you dont know the map dont have the experience and knowledge and dont stick with your team yes these 2 mech will eat you alive, but if your doing all that wrong well your just playing the game wrong :).

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#17 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 28 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostBattlesbreak, on April 27 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

*Bruiser* when correctly played will make scouts cry... A lot.

When Scout is correctly played Bruiser is nothing.
Scout can just corner poke Bruiser to death,
and the Hellfires can't hit as the Scout'll already be around the corner.

Ontop of that, hellfires are easy to dodge, especially in a fast Scout.

About any burst mech can make Scouts cry, depending on your and their skill.
Reapers can make Scouts cry in CQC.
You name it.

Sustained-fire mechs other then the Incinerator don't really do a whole lot to a good Scout.

Unless, ofcourse, you think a Scout that always rushes in without corner poking is a good Scout.

Edited by Meraple, April 28 2014 - 05:50 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#18 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostMeraple, on April 28 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

View PostBattlesbreak, on April 27 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

*Bruiser* when correctly played will make scouts cry... A lot.

When Scout is correctly played Bruiser is nothing.
Scout can just corner poke Bruiser to death,
and the Hellfires can't hit as the Scout'll already be around the corner.

Ontop of that, hellfires are easy to dodge, especially in a fast Scout.

About any burst mech can make Scouts cry, depending on your and their skill.
Reapers can make Scouts cry in CQC.
You name it.

Sustained-fire mechs other then the Incinerator don't really do a whole lot to a good Scout.

Unless, ofcourse, you think a Scout that always rushes in without corner poking is a good Scout.
You haven't heard tactic called falling back away from corners and forcing scout to engage you face to face. Also making Hellfires rain is the way for Bruiser. Raider reflak is just every mechs bane. Incinerator just needs to spam correctly the SAARE on the corners, walls or floor making Scout do some step dance. Heat dispersion when nearly maxed the heat is also good way to say hi Scout who comes around corner. Raider has also MIRV weapon mode to blast scout who is behind wall. You just need to know when to disengage and lure.

#19 TTU_Phoenix

TTU_Phoenix

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 07:29 AM

I don't think they're OP, it really depends on the pilot.  I've had games where I can carve through the opposing team's Scouts and Infiltrators, and others where they're the bane of my existence.  A good pilot in one of those mechs is maddening to fight.

#20 n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 11:27 AM

I feel the Scout is slightly stronger than the Infiltrator in general, it can engage in the open (as long as it's not spotted on the way) and it can engage in corners effectively. The Infil is a bit better at corner play because your grenade can just be aimed at the corner and that massive damage has more chance to hit.

It's easier to kill an Infiltrator in the open and it has less tools to get away, yes cloak makes it dissapear from the radar but it depletes fuel reserves even faster. Mobility is king.

As for being OP I'm not good enough to really judge that, I do feel that Scout is slightly too strong, but making it slower or taking armor off a mech that already has so little might just make it suck. Infiltrator hits very hard but is a lot harder to play correctly than the Scout imo.

Edited by n3onfx, April 28 2014 - 11:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users