HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Composite armor - My thought's - have been running it about 2 weeks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted April 30 2014 - 04:02 PM

composite armor - why is it good_  takes 1 slot,  It give's you 15% damage reduction after you die, this means that until you get a kill, or 2 assist, everyone shooting you , ie the entire enemy team does 15% less damage to you, add in deflectors 2 and you have a potential for 35% damage reduction.

this = 445 effective hp (theoretical maximum) on an infil

How does this help_  Well, it will help you in a 2 vs 1 quiet a bit

This is why I use it, games that I take no deaths are not what I would say are common, I will be dieing anyways, so I will get use out of this device.

Why do people think it is bad.. well it stops working when you get a kill/ 2 assists, well if it helps you get a kill in a 2 vs 1, it just paid for itself imho, and might even help you get double and triple kill's, you need extra armor when you are facing multiple enemies, after one is dead, it is ok that you lose the reduction, as it already helped you get the fight down to a 1 vs 1, etc you get the idea.

what do other people think.

#2 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:15 AM

Damage resistance isn't additive in this game. It's multiplicative.
Deflectors + composite armor means you are first taking 80% and then 85% of the damage. 0.8*0.85=0.68 so it's a 32% damage reduction, which isn't far from 35% but just wanted to clear that out! ;-)

#3 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 02:37 AM

For that first engagement its an advantage.
For those with high kd ratings, also useless.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#4 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted May 01 2014 - 02:55 AM

hands down best internal for siege,  having +15% when  taking aa or  attacking energy collectors is huge, just need to die at right timings.

Edited by Ker4u, May 01 2014 - 02:56 AM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#5 NECRO_TYPE1

NECRO_TYPE1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted May 01 2014 - 06:04 AM

It's useless if you're getting high K/D like Lightangel112 stated. If you're not very good and die quite a bit, then it could be a slight boost.

#6 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted May 01 2014 - 07:30 AM

very underrated internal. Even with a good k/d it can help. Good use of a spair slot.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#7 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 07:48 AM

Pretty much useless on my part sorry.

#8 Amisto

Amisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted May 01 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostLightangel112, on May 01 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

For that first engagement its an advantage.
For those with high kd ratings, also useless.

I would say anyone going 25 and 1 is not playing vs a team at their level.  Get in a game with all players being over 2k mmr and you will see no one get's super high kdr's when the teams are balanced.  If I go 15-20 ish and 5 death,  I would say that is a good score for me in high levels anyways.

Let me also add that me getting quadra kills seems to happen more frequently since I got rid of AC and added composite, could be co-incidence, I suggest you try it out.

#9 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted May 01 2014 - 08:14 AM

From my perspective this internal is highly dependent on pilot's play style and/or skill.  If one is a hard to kill pilot or plays to avoid getting killed (peek-a-boo, hit-and-run tactics) then this wouldn't be the internal for that type of play. Also as has been stated, if one's kills are way high relative to one's deaths this internal wouldn't help much.  Probably most effective for YOLO-type play or with newer players who haven't quite mastered the movement and positioning skills yet.
ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#10 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 03 2014 - 03:04 PM

i like this internal, but it's very situational.  i only have it on one scout that also has extractor and the bigger orbs thing...  and only pull out this scout for the first round of a siege.  i also have it on my main brawler for lols.

#11 PhasmaFelis

PhasmaFelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 08:32 PM

Composite is really really handy for newbies and casuals. If you struggle to get even one kill, then you're gonna be getting the benefit more often than not, and 15% is pretty huge. I kinda feel like it should be the first thing a new player puts on their Fred.

If someone tells you that composite is "useless" (not just for them, but for everyone), then they're one of those annoying PRO HARDCOREZ types who's forgotten where they came from.

#12 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 01:57 PM

View Postcaduceus26, on May 01 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

From my perspective this internal is highly dependent on pilot's play style and/or skill.  If one is a hard to kill pilot or plays to avoid getting killed (peek-a-boo, hit-and-run tactics) then this wouldn't be the internal for that type of play. Also as has been stated, if one's kills are way high relative to one's deaths this internal wouldn't help much.  Probably most effective for YOLO-type play or with newer players who haven't quite mastered the movement and positioning skills yet.

You mean like every internal in the game_

It's a good choice for those pilots who play more aggressively as it can help them maintain a 1:1 k/adr and/or C-classes who's main purpose is to soak damage, and generally do not have that fun thing called mobility to actually escape a less-than-ideal encounter with 4 buzzing berzerkers.

Edited by ninjab3ta, May 06 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#13 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted May 06 2014 - 04:27 PM

View Postninjab3ta, on May 06 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postcaduceus26, on May 01 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

You mean like every internal in the game_

It's a good choice for those pilots who play more aggressively as it can help them maintain a 1:1 k/adr and/or C-classes who's main purpose is to soak damage, and generally do not have that fun thing called mobility to actually escape a less-than-ideal encounter with 4 buzzing berzerkers.
Yeah.  However,  I also gave the specific dependencies so as not to just throw out an open-ended statement. The OP gave his thoughts on the internal and I gave mine. There's no "right or wrong" on this subject--just opinions..

Edited by caduceus26, May 06 2014 - 11:01 PM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#14 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 03:24 PM

Did not mean to come across sarcastically, sorry. I also gave my own input, fyi.

#15 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:34 PM

To me, this internal feels like a crutch. Rewards you for dying, which isn't a mindset I like to have in the game. Personally, I don't like it very much, and I'd rather put something else in that one slot. That being said, if you're new to the game and your struggling, it can help you as a kind of training wheels.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, May 14 2014 - 12:16 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#16 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted May 11 2014 - 12:54 AM

this internal is very strong in closely matched games, which is when you want an extra 15%. if you are already steamrolling opponents then you are still winning, who cares, you didnt use yr 1 slot internal, but then u didnt need to. composite armour is a big adv when duelling your nemesis.

#17 Abanomex

Abanomex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 07:30 AM

i think its great, 15% reduction is a lot, and it doesnt matter if i have a HIGH KDR, i usually get several kills before dying (my record its around 17), the thing is that you will eventually die most likely, and when you do, its like respawning with a bulletproof vest, and its only one slot, besides its not like you are using your other internals 100% of the time.

#18 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted May 14 2014 - 06:49 AM

Interesting.. Ive just slapped armor fusor on most of my stuff and forgot about these things :ph34r:

#19 MidnightCRT

MidnightCRT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 07:56 AM

Wait, if you're getting a high k/d, you're probably winning, aren't you_

That means that if you need it, it's there, and otherwise you're getting kills anyway

I might actually try it out sometime

#20 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on May 07 2014 - 10:34 PM, said:

To me, this internal feels like a crutch. Rewards you for dying, which isn't a mindset I like to have in the game. Personally, I don't like it very much, and I'd rather put something else in that one slot. That being said, if you're new to the game and your struggling, it can help you as a kind of training wheels.

For TDM this is certainly a crutch-style internal, but for objective game-modes, it can help out your team as a whole. Not to say running in guns blazing and dying is a good thing, but sometimes a brave pilot must sacrifice himself for the good of his (or her) team. Plus, since it effectively increase your Armor percentile-wise, it's really only meant for the bulkier mechs that are already partially used as damage-soaks anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users