HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Please make mech parts universal purchases

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Thresh_1

Thresh_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostLuxAngel7, on May 10 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

So you're implying that since in the real worl you can't swapt parts from one vehicle to another, in Hawken you shouldn't be able to either unless you pay again and again and again for the same part every time_ Sorry, but that doesn't really make much sense.

Well, that depends on how real or fantastical you (fan or dev) want to get with a piece of fiction, right_

Using the M.O. up to this point - one example - they (the devs) have begun to fine-tune a ratio they have pre-established between liters held, liters expended, speed drawn, and replenishment rate vs. weight allowance, and to a lesser extent the drag model and inertia (the crush kill aka DFA.) This (to me at least) implies a sense of realism. Drawing from that example, you have what I opined above. Which is sensible.

Then again, if you want to wax fantastical about this same work of fiction, we have unlimited ammunition and no given allowance or metric for it, save for heat. Which does not make a lot of sense. But that would be a different topic altogether.

But, again, we are dealing with a work of fiction. And I think the system is just fine if you do the time. I'm living proof you don't need to break your wallet out (like someone said about EA) to gain objects in this game. Half an afternoon and half an evening of playing nets me all the HC I need to get an internal. Two days and I have a weapon if available. I also try to maintain a bank of 3000-5000 HC should something cool release with a patch and I want it straight away. It took me less than 2 days to get the Raider G2, for example. I just play the game and earn the money, win or lose. EDIT: and I forgot to mention, I play with a guy who stuck with his initial CRT and has something ridiculous in his HC bank like 30k or more. Because he plays, grabs that cash, and squirrels it away, happy with the mech he's in.

Just my opinion, guy.

Edited by Thresh_1, May 10 2014 - 04:57 PM.

Propaganda. Death ensemble. Burial to be. Corpses rotting through the night In blood-laced misery.
Scorched earth the policy. The reason for the siege. The pendulum it shaves the blade. The strafing air blood-raid.
Infiltration. Push reserves. Encircle the front lines. Supreme art of strategy playing on the mind.
Bombard until submission TAKE ALL TO THEIR GRAVES. Indication of triumph, the numbers that are dead.

Posted Image

#62 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 06:15 PM

Mechs and Weapons are already pretty expensive, you spend a good chunk of the HC you earn leveling on the 2 weapons you unlock, not counting Internals and Items, or the money you need for another mech.

So I decided that I'm just not going to buy any Items and just make due with what comes with the mech, and the universal Scanner MK1 I have. I do however buy Internals since they are cheaper.

Since I don't earn enough HC to buy new Mechs and Weapons as I level them up, I definitely don't have 6k laying around for MK3 items, so I would gladly pay MC if they were universal or I could swap them around.

The fact of the matter is, at some point, they are going to need to worry less about making money and more about just keeping players interested.

My inability to earn enough HC to buy Items just means its one less aspect of the game I get to enjoy and the less it will interest me over time, and the sooner I will stop playing.

So in short, I for one will not buy any more items unless they become shared or universal, with HC or MC. My mech's ability is a lot more useful and it comes free with my mech, and has unlimited use.

#63 LuxAngel7

LuxAngel7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostThresh_1, on May 10 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostLuxAngel7, on May 10 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

So you're implying that since in the real worl you can't swapt parts from one vehicle to another, in Hawken you shouldn't be able to either unless you pay again and again and again for the same part every time_ Sorry, but that doesn't really make much sense.

Well, that depends on how real or fantastical you (fan or dev) want to get with a piece of fiction, right_

Using the M.O. up to this point - one example - they (the devs) have begun to fine-tune a ratio they have pre-established between liters held, liters expended, speed drawn, and replenishment rate vs. weight allowance, and to a lesser extent the drag model and inertia (the crush kill aka DFA.) This (to me at least) implies a sense of realism. Drawing from that example, you have what I opined above. Which is sensible.

Then again, if you want to wax fantastical about this same work of fiction, we have unlimited ammunition and no given allowance or metric for it, save for heat. Which does not make a lot of sense. But that would be a different topic altogether.

But, again, we are dealing with a work of fiction. And I think the system is just fine if you do the time. I'm living proof you don't need to break your wallet out (like someone said about EA) to gain objects in this game. Half an afternoon and half an evening of playing nets me all the HC I need to get an internal. Two days and I have a weapon if available. I also try to maintain a bank of 3000-5000 HC should something cool release with a patch and I want it straight away. It took me less than 2 days to get the Raider G2, for example. I just play the game and earn the money, win or lose. EDIT: and I forgot to mention, I play with a guy who stuck with his initial CRT and has something ridiculous in his HC bank like 30k or more. Because he plays, grabs that cash, and squirrels it away, happy with the mech he's in.

Just my opinion, guy.

Dude, I'm sorry but you are really greasping at straws to try and explain why the devs should keep going along a path that is actually hurting their profits based on your perceived notion of what is and isn't lore friendly...

It's really quite simple:

- The devs stand to make more money on a volume basis vs pricing model

- your argument for not doing this is: 'You can't swap pieces from one car to another' and 'guns have infinite ammo and only use heat'

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

Believe what you want. But you can explain global mech parts much much easier than how you have tried to explain non global parts. And when you consider that you are so opposed to this when they stand to make more money, I honestly can't understand where you're coming from with such opposition to an idea simply based on your interpretration of the "lore" (hint: there is none)

Edited by LuxAngel7, May 10 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#64 teeth_03

teeth_03

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted May 11 2014 - 04:17 AM

By definition, the parts are already universal. How did I come to this conclusion you ask_

Its quite simple. The mechs all equip the same exact set of Items and Internals. The Exact Same Set. An Item on one mech, works exactly the same no matter what mech it is equipped to. They also all cost the same price. They also all look and sound the exact same. If we could smell them or taste them, I'm sure they would all be the same.

So because every mech can equip every item and it works the exact same way from mech to mech, logic would dictate that there is a certain level of university (is that the right word to use here_) to them.

Your right that you can't take a manifold off 1 car and bolt it to a completely different model. But in that case, the 2 different manifolds look different, cost different and otherwise have different properties. The Items in Hawken have the same exact properties from mech to mech.

So there is no logical reason to assume that the Items can't be universally shared if the devs wanted to do it. We just need to see if they want to do it or not.

Oh and it makes less sense that Camos are universal because different mechs require different amounts of paint to color them. ;)

#65 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 01:50 AM

Speaking as a newbie, it's not exactly *clear* that internals/items are per-mech either. I didn't know until I saw this topic! Even looking deliberately, the only hint I see is at the very last step of the buying process where it trails off with ""...for this mech."

So even if they change nothing, it'd be nice to make it clearer so that people like me don't waste too much HC on the Recruit...

Edited by Terr_, May 17 2014 - 01:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users