HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hi, I took this account from my son.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kdc300z

kdc300z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:00 PM

Too anyone that he offended, I apologize.

After playing the game myself, I see why he acted the way he did. I am not saying he isn't at fault, but the overall rudeness that is chatted during the game is beyond rediculous.

From everything to the easy going "you are worthless as a team mate.." to racial slurs, he will not be allowed to play the game anymore.

I showed him this game from my years of playing Mech Warrior and Chromehound. I did not realize the amount of smack talk and hiding behind the keyboard fuzzy bunny that occurs.

It is too bad, because this game looks pretty cool. I hope jerks do not ruin the game for others. A thick skin is necessary unfortunately. If there is a away to disable chat, then I think I would reconsider as the game graphically looks awesome.

~Ken's Dad.

#2 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted May 06 2014 - 07:14 PM

I am sad to hear your experience was less-than pleasurable with the minority of the playerbase.
I can guarantee that the majority of us are not like that in the slightest. The ones who are are usually stuck in lower skill-ranking lobbies and don't exactly stick around for a prolonged time.

As a matter of fact, the people that tend to stick around are actually pretty friendly. ^_^

Unfortunately, the chat can't be turned off. At least, as far as I know. Maybe a mod or dev can clarify better. The best there is is a profanity filter from the looks of things.

My apologies for the bad experience. Hopefully one day we may see you both back in-game again.

#3 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted May 06 2014 - 08:01 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.. That's so weird, though. I've never had anyone talk serious smack in any server I've been on, let alone throw around racist slurs. It's usually all "GL HF" and "GG." Will the occasional rager come on and complain about the way the game is going_ Yeah, sure, but nothing like what you described. Maybe try setting a different server region_ Find a new crowd that way_ I don't know, but still, it's sad to see a post like this. :/

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#4 GGGanjaMan

GGGanjaMan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 08:22 PM

You can ignore/mute people - that's the closest to disabling chat I can think of.

#5 Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 06 2014 - 08:51 PM

What servers have you been playing on _ East coast_ West_ I don't know about those dirty fouth mouth untrustworthy west coasters, but us decent folk on the respectable east coast mind our manners, thank you very much. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding.)

Honestly, as far as online games go I haven't noticed anywhere near the levels of rudeness that I've seen in other games. Most of the people I've played with have been very friendly, responsive, and constructive in chat. I'd chalk it up to a few bad experiences. You're likely to get those in any online game nowadays.

Depending on the age of your son I can understand why you would want to shield him from online games so keep in mind that disrespectful players can be found in any game before you single out Hawken.
Posted Image

#6 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 02:42 AM

If you mute people, that also stops you from seeing what they are typing ingame. So you would have to mute everyone in the game and the smack talking happens from immature little children or A-holes who have no manners who came from another game where he learned that idiotic behavior and brought it here to Hawken, usually in low level tier play. Higher up, most people are more appreciative of others skills. Once people finally learn how it works from that point, they usually calm the F right down.

Edited by Lightangel112, May 07 2014 - 02:43 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#7 kdc300z

kdc300z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 05:54 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the input. He is 12, 13 this year. I was talking with him a bit about the game and how to ignore the trash talking etc..

Ok, so he clicks on the Launch button for the game, as well as East server. He has also been playing for about 1 year or possibly more. He has all the mechs, and leveled them to 30, which is high. So he has been well versed in the game from his time playing.

What basically happened, is I came into his room in the middle of storm of chatting, where it seemed like a back and forth with someone. Again, I have watched him play other games where he ignore's this, but for some reason this person got under his skin.

Hopefully it's isolated and he doesn't get pulled into arguements. His screen name is kdc300z. Not that I'm looking for babysitters...

#8 Vilyria

Vilyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted May 07 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hey there

Sadly the behaviour from the HAWKEN forums doesn't reach into the game itself.
Everyone who reads this topic, I think it's time to learn something from here. Doesn't matter how well you play, if your behaving like poo, none of your skills are worthy.

For your son, I'd suggest him to join in some gaming group. In these people keep together and especially if it's a big organization.

I hope the best for you and your son.

- Vily

Posted Image

My blog-> MELODIC-MISSILES

#9 grandreaper

grandreaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNew-Brunswick

Posted May 07 2014 - 06:55 AM

I'm on the fence. Most players i've played with are friendly and respectful but the negative experiences are always the ones you remember.
For example, I have a decent mmr (2300) meaning I usually play with high level players. To play in lower tier matches and have a guy or 2 start to complain and throw idiotic insults ( YOU BAD, QUIT AND UNINSTAL THE GAME! ), that just rolls off you. But when you play with/against experienced pilots, hearing similar remarks coming from them is depressing.
After a few rounds of good Hawken fun, I played a match that ended up being a washout... We got beat pretty badly. After we acknowledged a crushing defeat, 2 of the guys on the other team were laying it heavy on us (and their own lower scoring allies). I was left sort of baffled as to why they were angry/raging even tho they just won. You really do need a thick skin to play these types of competitive games, some people tend to take their "playtime" way too seriously.

In the call center world, we are told it takes about 10 positive experiences to overcome a single bad call. When playing a competitive video game, I believe the ratio to be about the same.

Edited by grandreaper, May 07 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#10 Tseuqreve

Tseuqreve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think this is all ridiculous. On all sides.

He's 13 in a very low populated part of the gaming world. I was 9 playing Everquest (My name backwards) Would you like to compare a very popular and singular MMO community to a very small FPS one_ All I'm saying is, the level of expectation you have is beyond unrealistic and you may as well ban him from every online game. Words are just that, words.. You can't isolate children from words, it's our job as parents to make sure they know the difference between right and wrong.

As for the shenanigans, sadly none of this will change anything and no message you can ever speak will.. Because the people that talk trash are people that think they are entitled to it, and you can't take that away from them. "Shut your mouth" "It's my mouth you can't make me"

We can whine all day, people suck, blah blah.. Fact of the matter is, there's worse things.. Would you rather him sit here and learn intellectual qualities from players he respects and aspires to be skill-wise though may never meet, with the occasional bad guy roaming the interwebz. Or idolize justin bieber and miley cyrus and have a kid by the time he's 14_ Either shelter him from the real world or the virtual one, both will do more harm than good.

#11 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted May 07 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostTseuqreve, on May 07 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

He's 13 in a very low populated part of the gaming world. I was 9 playing Everquest (My name backwards) Would you like to compare a very popular and singular MMO community to a very small FPS one_ All I'm saying is, the level of expectation you have is beyond unrealistic and you may as well ban him from every online game. Words are just that, words.. You can't isolate children from words, it's our job as parents to make sure they know the difference between right and wrong.

As for the shenanigans, sadly none of this will change anything and no message you can ever speak will.. Because the people that talk trash are people that think they are entitled to it, and you can't take that away from them. "Shut your mouth" "It's my mouth you can't make me"

We can whine all day, people suck, blah blah.. Fact of the matter is, there's worse things.. Would you rather him sit here and learn intellectual qualities from players he respects and aspires to be skill-wise though may never meet, with the occasional bad guy roaming the interwebz. Or idolize justin bieber and miley cyrus and have a kid by the time he's 14_ Either shelter him from the real world or the virtual one, both will do more harm than good.

A parent has the right to judge what his child does, and likewise there needs to be consequences for a child if that child does something inappropriate in the parent's eyes (in this case, participating in destructive and derogatory conversation). Consequences do happen to teach children what is right and wrong in certain circumstances. Actions certainly speak louder than mere words or reprimands.

I see nothing wrong with this because the parent has acted on his child's actions in a way to teach his child a lesson. And by the way, that was a really bad false dilemma fallacy you made there at the end.

Edited by Silverfire, May 07 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#12 SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationThe country of tea and crumpets

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:13 AM

It's sad to see your son leaving.
I tend to prevent myself from raging or trash-talking for a few reasons, and hopefully some of these will help your son.

1. The ones provoking me and talking trash are the immature ones: I won't stoop down to their level.
2. It would give the opposing team the satisfaction.
3. It gives them more fuel and reason to continue to anger me.

Like Vilyria says:

View PostVilyria, on May 07 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

Sadly the behaviour from the HAWKEN forums doesn't reach into the game itself.

Everyone (if not, most) on the forums are a lot more well conducted than that of the majority of the players in game (I'm not implying that the players in game are people we cast aside as peasants; they can be very mature too.)

Again, sad to see him go. I hope your son will be able to learn from his mistakes for the better. :)

Edited by SparkyJJC, May 07 2014 - 08:13 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Z3roCool007

Z3roCool007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in you're room.

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:37 AM

Ahem.
Mute.
Posted Image

Now I know we can never be friends

-EliteShooter

#14 Tseuqreve

Tseuqreve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostSilverfire, on May 07 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostTseuqreve, on May 07 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

A parent has the right to judge what his child does, and likewise there needs to be consequences for a child if that child does something inappropriate in the parent's eyes (in this case, participating in destructive and derogatory conversation). Consequences do happen to teach children what is right and wrong in certain circumstances. Actions certainly speak louder than mere words or reprimands.

I see nothing wrong with this because the parent has acted on his child's actions in a way to teach his child a lesson. And by the way, that was a really bad false dilemma fallacy you made there at the end.

Much like your opening paragraph was a really bad interpretation of anything I said_ Did I say the parent didn't have a right to judge his child_ Are you saying I don't have the right to share my opinion when said parent openly involves the online community he so despises in his judgmental affairs_ As for the fallacy, he's obviously blind to any online community everywhere, who's to say he knows whats going on in the real world_ I made it as simple as possible by using characters and words everyone is familiar with as examples.. But your opinion on how bad my summarization skills are, is as equally welcomed as my opinion on how ridiculous this thread is.. Is it not_

#15 The_Ender

The_Ender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 05:16 AM

Racial slurs, wow. You really can't understand the behavior of rude people, well...idiots. but why take things THAT far if they just haaaave to insult is even more idiotic.

I say always make proof. Take a ss, or even with your cellphone if your g.card is crazy(like mine) and pursue their ban from thr game.

Bcs a idiot, a internet warrior of stupidity, has very little to work with and will pray on every little thing about you, to use in his insult.

That's sad, so declare war on them
Every End Must First Begin...

#16 Knat

Knat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted May 12 2014 - 05:50 AM

I think it's because the game is free to play.

People who paid for the game would not talk like this.

I paid for the game when it was released on Steam and there was no harsh chat.

Then soon after the game became free to play and all this chat rage started.

99% of Hawkeners are very friendly, both ingame and on the forums.

#17 The_Ender

The_Ender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostKnat, on May 12 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

oh far from it.

i paid for starcraft 2, twice haha xD but the game is riddled with bad manners of a whole new dimension(both guys and girls for that matter)

#18 Knat

Knat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted May 12 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostThe_Ender, on May 12 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostKnat, on May 12 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

oh far from it.

i paid for starcraft 2, twice haha xD but the game is riddled with bad manners of a whole new dimension(both guys and girls for that matter)

Well im not talking about other online games. I am just telling what my experience has been with Hawken since i started playing it. I did npt play the game pre-steam, so i can only say that this is my experince since the Steam launch.

#19 Magnesium_Jello

Magnesium_Jello

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 03:15 PM

The only thing i talk about is apples on chat. lol
but seriously, i never loook at chat and when i do its when im in seige and somebody is spamming the chat. the person is usually raging and i try to calm them down. Also the only racial slurs i saw were for callsigns and that person got stomped in that match. I think it was tdm and i got like 37 kills and 5 deaths.

Edited by Magnesium_Jello, May 13 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#20 The_Ender

The_Ender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostMagnesium_Jello, on May 13 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

The only thing i talk about is apples on chat. lol
but seriously, i never loook at chat and when i do its when im in seige and somebody is spamming the chat. the person is usually raging and i try to calm them down. Also the only racial slurs i saw were for callsigns and that person got stomped in that match. I think it was tdm and i got like 37 kills and 5 deaths.

Isn't tdm played for 10min or whichever team gets to 40kills first_ 37kills seems a bit steep of a statement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users