HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

UK servers are dying

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted May 12 2014 - 06:40 PM

when things are down, melons always fix up the mood.

something sweet, round, tender, firm.     good calories, and healthy. very nutritious.

here's what we need.  a  campaign.   as a new player, i imagine a 350 pound man trying to climb mount everest after spending years on the sofa.

create a campaign that revolves around the current maps, insert mechs, and flying monsters, objectives, and go through the entire 11 maps.  and boss mechs.   etc etc.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#22 TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:43 PM

View Postangryhampster, on May 12 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

nonsense
Don't derail the thread, please.

Posted Image

#23 Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationRussia, Lipetsk

Posted May 12 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on May 12 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yes, same for me, lag is way too much worse, ping is almost always 118 instead of 80-90.
I also have - Ping increased. And played on U.S. servers more stable than UK.

#24 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 12 2014 - 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear this, I feel your pain.

#25 Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationRussia, Lipetsk

Posted May 12 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostAims, on May 12 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Sorry to hear this, I feel your pain.
In fact, I have no pain. Just want to play with a minimum stable ping (UK now ping=110...120). And in fact release a stable way to play where Ping more USE ping=170...180.

#26 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted May 12 2014 - 10:03 PM

View Postxbox690, on May 12 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Murica!

Most pointless post in this thread.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#27 BadCatWillum

BadCatWillum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 10:46 PM

My experience:
  • I3D servers are mostly empty or absent and joining them fails (reported in the Announcements thread where the UK-EU server pool merge was announced)
  • 20ms higher ping on UK servers
  • TAW-EU servers also seeing about 20ms higher ping (80ms) than what I was getting on I3D prior to the pool merge
  • More weapon misfires, which is the opposite of what I would expect given that weapon traces are being displayed optimistically since the April update (

View Post[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on April 22 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

When firing your own trace weapons, the tracer FX will play instantly on clients instead of waiting to be triggered by server.
    )

#28 Deaod

Deaod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted May 12 2014 - 11:12 PM

I3D servers are mostly empty or absent and joining them fails
You cant connect to i3D-tdm-291331 through i3D-tdm-291333. Joining them simply displays the "Connecting ..." dialog, and nothing happens when that dialog closes. The other i3D TDM servers crash after every round (kicking everyone out, and starting with Facility again).

More weapon misfires, which is the opposite of what I would expect given that weapon traces are being displayed optimistically since the April update
If you mean weapons appearing to hit other players but dealing no damage, then its actually the complete opposite of what you expected: The change makes the problem worse, because now you dont see what the server sees, so your client just guesses where your traces went instead of waiting for the server to confirm they actually went there.

#29 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 12:51 AM

View PostDeaod, on May 12 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

More weapon misfires, which is the opposite of what I would expect given that weapon traces are being displayed optimistically since the April update
If you mean weapons appearing to hit other players but dealing no damage, then its actually the complete opposite of what you expected: The change makes the problem worse, because now you dont see what the server sees, so your client just guesses where your traces went instead of waiting for the server to confirm they actually went there.
Very much this. I get that the change was made to give a smoother experience, but it's oh so misguided. It just gives the illusion of a smoother experience while in reality it hides feedback of a bad connection from the user, making the user feel stupid/blame the game instead of being able to adapt to the higher latency/make out packet loss.

Now please imagine the above in allcaps, bold, italics and maximum font size. Now imagine it in PN-223-red. Then you have my level of frustration that this got implemented. Alas, it's probably a political decision, not a technical one, but I digress...

Edited by ScottRidley, May 13 2014 - 12:54 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Goyo

Goyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 01:15 AM

The US servers with Hawken work such that ping is a rough measure... but physical distance from player to server is a more accurate measure.

You could have a very good ping to East coast evers in the US from west coast but the actuality is that you will get rubberbanding and damage arriving in bunches/clusters instead of trickling in how they normally would.  I attribute this to packets arriving in odd order because of the distance traveled.  Packet loss is a part of the internet and I have had internet gurus tell me that packet loss is supposed to happen to allow each end of the transfer to know what has happened.  Seems stupid to me.   In any case.. the greater the greater the physical distance the more issues you will have with packet informationloss and that has nothing to do with ping to server.

I honestly believe the heyday of the internet is over.  It is controlled now.  There will always be internet issues from this day forward.  The following links are a small glimpse into the fuzzy bunny that is going on to make the internet worse.  Fk Big Brother:

http://www.techdirt....-virginia.shtml

http://www.theguardi...routers-snowden

http://www.democrati...002&pid=2967516

SO if the internet sucks... it is because it is regulated and controlled now... ISP's aren't to blame.  The governments are.

Edited by Goyo, May 13 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#31 palad1ne

palad1ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Locationuninstalled

Posted May 13 2014 - 01:30 AM

Beside the bad Performance of the AWS UK Servers, can we have Information about, what is going on with the I3D servers _

- joining a server is like a lottery, it mostly fail.
- after one round the server reboot

I mean, you pay for them and as they worked good before(30ms ping), now after the merge, they simply broken.

So whats going on _

Edited by palad1ne, May 13 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#32 BadCatWillum

BadCatWillum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 01:42 AM

View PostDeaod, on May 12 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Actually I meant I click and the weapon does not (visibly or otherwise) fire.  I mostly notice this on my Vanguard, with both Vulcan and the grenade launcher.

#33 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostBadCatWillum, on May 13 2014 - 01:42 AM, said:

Actually I meant I click and the weapon does not (visibly or otherwise) fire.  I mostly notice this on my Vanguard, with both Vulcan and the grenade launcher.
I've had that happen only once after the April patch. It wasn't a prime/sec weapon though, but an item: in one game, whenever I would try to fire an EMP, it would disappear from inventory and the cooldown timer would start, but there was never any EMP top coming out. Since it didn't happen again I gave no more thought to it. Not sure which servers this was on, either EU or UK.
Posted Image

#34 Ehcin

Ehcin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted May 13 2014 - 02:30 AM

I have experienced the same thing, though it's not the ping that is giving me the issues, it's the inconsistency.
If I have to readjust my aim almost every 5 seconds because the ping keeps changing, it doesn't exactly make for a fun gameplay experience.

Issues only started occuring after the latest patch, used to be not as bad as it is now.

#35 LarryLaffer

LarryLaffer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinsk (GMT +5)

Posted May 13 2014 - 02:47 AM

View PostEhcin, on May 13 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

I have experienced the same thing, though it's not the ping that is giving me the issues, it's the inconsistency.
If I have to readjust my aim almost every 5 seconds because the ping keeps changing, it doesn't exactly make for a fun gameplay experience.

^This. Almost every player can adjust his aim in order to compencate the latency, if this latency is stable. But with such lags it's just impossible.
WolfyFTW's Mindgamer: Hawken videos - the best combat tutorial ever!
Throw away Air Compressor! Be a man!.

#36 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 03:55 AM

View PostGoyo, on May 13 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

The US servers with Hawken work such that ping is a rough measure... but physical distance from player to server is a more accurate measure.
Yes.

Packet loss is a part of the internet and I have had internet gurus tell me that packet loss is supposed to happen to allow each end of the transfer to know what has happened.  Seems stupid to me.   In any case.. the greater the greater the physical distance the more issues you will have with packet informationloss and that has nothing to do with ping to server.
Not quite. Packet loss is not supposed to happen, but expected. It usually occurs when a node (router along the path) becomes congested and a packet at the end of the transmit queue gets discarded, or when there's faulty equipment. Added physical distance increases the chance of running into such a congested or faulty node, but if everything is working A-OK, the packet loss can still be 0.

As this relates to Hawken, the Unreal engine already has some compensation for this built in, but it appears to be pretty rudimentary. This paper however states that real-world packet loss should not have an impact on player performance.

There is another possible culprit though: virtualization. Amazon is running Xen as a virtualization platform, and while Xen has come a long way in the last years, it used to be notorious for all sorts of hiccups concerning realtime applications (like voice, or games), especially in high load scenarios. Since they probably also use software defined networking (is that also virtualized on Xen_ :D), there are a lot of added layers of complexity that can lead to e.g. packets arriving out of order, or maybe server ticks being executed in bursts whenever the scheduler has time.
  • TL;DR: fuzzy bunny AWS.

SO if the internet sucks... it is because it is regulated and controlled now... ISP's aren't to blame.  The governments are.
While I share your disdain for (mostly US) government regulation, interdiction of and general meddling with the internet, it's very much the ISPs that are to blame. The current trend is to extort content providers (recent case: Netflix, see 1 and 2) for money in order to stop intentionally letting peering become congested.
  • TL;DR: fuzzy bunny capitalism, fuzzy bunny governments, fuzzy bunny EVERYONE EVERYTHING!

Edited by ScottRidley, May 13 2014 - 04:01 AM.

Posted Image

#37 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted May 13 2014 - 07:16 AM

I usually have no problem joining servers, but I get 130 ping on those i3D servers. Other servers give me 60 ping.
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#38 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostScottRidley, on May 13 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

• TL;DR: fuzzy bunny capitalism, fuzzy bunny governments, fuzzy bunny EVERYONE EVERYTHING!

Players have reported AWS doing really stupid things with Verizon. Like routing packets from New York, to somewhere on the west coast, and then back to Virginia.

#39 palad1ne

palad1ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Locationuninstalled

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:29 AM

View Postspo0n, on May 13 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

View PostScottRidley, on May 13 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

Players have reported AWS doing really stupid things with Verizon. Like routing packets from New York, to somewhere on the west coast, and then back to Virginia.

And this is what I don't understand. Why rerouting game servers_ This is BS because they have no high data load like video services.
But at the end of the day. The trend is visible. Later we pay the provider to get the celebrity line to our precious game service. For those of you who are not willing to pay will the place as MMR feeder reserved.

Don't take me so serious .. Its my drink day xD

#40 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:37 AM

View Postpalad1ne, on May 13 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

View Postspo0n, on May 13 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

And this is what I don't understand. Why rerouting game servers_ This is BS because they have no high data load like video services.
But at the end of the day. The trend is visible. Later we pay the provider to get the celebrity line to our precious game service. For those of you who are not willing to pay will the place as MMR feeder reserved.
That's because it's unregulated by the gubbmint! We need moar regulation!

*runs*
*hides*
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users