HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Weapons: Diversity, Improvements, Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted May 18 2014 - 02:15 AM

Another thread about how to improve things. Sigh.
Posted Image

However, if you bear with me, i'll try to bring some new ideas to the table.

Diversity
So, Hawken lets us change our weapons as we rank up, which I like, however, with only three primaries to choose from, and an obligatory secondary, I feel as if it is quite linear. As your rank up, you unlock new weapons, but you are always aiming for the "Prestige" weapon, which is supposed to be the best, when actually with weapon balancing, everything is kinda in the same playing field. I feel as if it needs to be considered more of an option.  

Also, like I said before, the weaponry system feels linear. You unlock three weapons (primaries), and that's it. Yet, we have 33 weapons in the game (23 primary, 10 secondary). We should be using these weapons more diversely. I think we should have a 4th or 5th primary weapon for each mech, and possibly for some other mechs, a 2nd secondary (I say "some others" because this obviously wouldn't work with G2's or support classes. I understand that the weapons on these classes is what makes them unique, but their should really be more than just 10 secondaries).

Some weapons are overused (tow launcher, Vulcan, Assault rifle,) whilst others are being used for the wrong classes. (Grenadier has Vulcan_ Raider has EOC R_ Brawler has SA Hawkins_). With new weapons being added, I feel as if some of these weapons should be reshuffled, so that they are used by other classes that would make better use of them. Examples:
Brawler should have Breacher, Berserker could use Mini-Flak, Grenadier should have EOC R, etc..

Improvements
Many weapons need to change, as some of them have the wrong stats, are being used in the wrong situation, and are not being used for what they are made for. (SA Hawkins, Grenade launcher, Assault Rifle). Some weapons need minor tweaking. Others need some major changes. I don't mean this just for damage and functionality, I also mean this for effect, sounds, power. I'll leave the community to that, as there are a million changes that could be made, however, here are a few:

Assault Rifle: Needs more kick. At the moment, it feels like a peashooter. It needs to look and sound a bit more powerful, as it doesn't match up with it's effectiveness in gameplay.

SA Hawkins: Supposed to be a rifle, yet it has to much of a fire rate and too little Umph. I have NO CLUE what it is doing on the brawler, and has for the Sharpshooter, It shoots too long a range for the Hawkins to be effective. I needs a damage buff, slightly faster fire rate, and to be put on medium range mechs, not on the extreme and opposite ends of the battlefield.

Grenade Launcher: I feel it is to similar to the Tow Launcher. It should have some more splash damage, as it is a grenade, and possibly less direct damage to compensate.

CorsairXT and T-32 boltXT: Really disappointing. The T-32XT should have a faster charge, slightly more distance but less damage/more heat to compensate. The CorsairXT should have a two burst, and for the opposite mode, two volleys of those mini rockets, but maybe in a tighter formation. I was expecting both weapons to actually be two Corsairs/T-32s mashed into one, so that the T-32XT would have 8-charging points instead of 4, and the CorsairXT having a Quad-claw, not a dual claw. Also, better names for G2 weapons would be awesome. Examples: The Corsair-yacht, the T-128, the Point-G Shr3dr (cheesy, but different).

Suggestions
Finally, a couple of weapon suggestion, 'cause why not.

SMG-Sprssr M24
Concept: Pretty self-explanatory, an SMG, with a really high fire rate, higher than the Vulcan's, pretty accurate, but generates lots of heat, and has very low damage. Used mostly by A classes. Primary.

Accuracy: High (for an automatic weapon)
Damage: Very low
Heat generation: High
Fire Rate: Highest
Range: Close-Medium

Lore: Also known as the "Suppressor" or "Smug Suppressor", The SMG-Sprssr M24 was originally designed to take out less armored and civilian vehicles fast and efficiently. It was also allowed to be used in crowd control (in conjunction with stun bullets), in the first year of the Hawken Virus Outbreak (HVO), when riots started occurring in the tense atmosphere of Illal. However, it's roots stretch far back before the war, as it was a joint project between Sentium and Crion engineers. It's human counterpart was successful, whereas this weapon was scratched several times because of the weakness of the weapon. It only made it into the war because of the disparity of the corporations.

Helix Zppr-v torch
Concept: A similar weapon to Helix Repair Torch, but uses electricity to cut and draw electricity from objects. Think of it as a welders torch, but with electricity. It's meant to cut, not to repair. It has a duel switch mode. One mode simply cuts into the mech, like a welders torch, the other mode draws energy/electricity from the mech (eventually shutting it down), and gives you EU (harvesting it from a mech) Primary mode it is a flamethrower type weapon, secondary mode is a beam weapon. The primary weapon is powered by EU. It runs out of ammunition if it deosn't have EU, so you have to obtain some to fire again. Secondary weapon.

Damage: Primary: Same as Helix deconstruction mode. Secondary: No damage.
Accuracy: _
Heat generation: Standard
Fire rate: Beam/constant
Range: Close

Lore: Also known as the "Zapper torch", this weapon was used for electrical repair, battleship repair, mining, welding, you name it; it did it. A sort of miracle weapon, this Frankenstein device was incredibly hard to develop, and ended up looking like a tangle of wires on a flamethrower/Tesla beam. Unfortunately, such a complicated weapon lead to mistakes and became unsafe, and with the new Helix Repair Torch, it got pushed away from major usage. Developed completely by Prosk industries, they became used by mercenaries, but Prosk reclaimed the design and reinvented for one purpose in mind: Combat.  

Prc-A73 Canon
Concept: Looking a bit like an ancient AA canon, but re purposed for mech usage. Specializing in taking out heavy transports from a distance. Specifically made for armor penetration, especially on big transports. (Battleships). Longer range. Very little splash damage. Charge canon: A bit like Eoc repeater, where you charge it to fire more shots. 8 Shots max. Releases shots at same fire rate as SA Hawkins. Can be seen on this mech concept: http://www.f2p.com/w...wallpaper-6.jpg

Damage: Very high
Accuracy: Average-lower
Heat-generation: Very high
Fire rate: Low, automatic (Same as SA Hawkins)
Range: Far

Lore: Traditionally Sentium guard and aimed at heavy transports, these weapons were aimed to penetrate any vehicle, even Carriers (with a bit of time). Very few mechs were ever strong enough to ever use deal with the recoil of these weapons. developed by Sentium, to guard other heavy transports, these weapons are so heavy and make mechs so immobile that they have been known to cost hundreds of pilots lives. Mercenaries that get hold of these weapons are so dangerous they're avoided completely. Approach with caution.

Anyways, that's all I have to say (whew, took a while). Feel free to comment on this post. Hope i didn't bore you completely.

#2 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted May 18 2014 - 02:22 AM

While I like most of your suggestions, I do not quite understand the zapper helix torch thing.

Can you explain for me again please_ :)

Also, have a look at my new secondary idea (stolen from my other thread):

Secondary: DNRG-Launcher

Description: DNRG means Deconstruction-Nano-Robots-Grenade. It is a metal projectile which contains tiny robots which are released inside the enemy mech if the Grande hits and deals damage over time (Around 140 damage over 3 seconds). This can kill an enemy mech.
The projectile can be detonated manually to spread the nanorobots and depending on how far the eemy is near the explosion the damage over time is increased (e.g. 20m away - 110 dmg; 50m away - 80 dmg; etc.)
Nano robots which hit a surface remain for 3 seconds and will crawln on enemy mechs if they step on them dealing damage as long as the robots lifetime allows (Nanorobots have a maximum lifetime of 3 seconds. If they are on a surface for 1 second and then crawln on the enemy mech they will only deal damage for 2 seconds as they already lost 1 seconds of their lfietime outside).

The Grande deals an extra of 30 damage for a direct hit and if this is the case, there won't be and explosion which spread the Nano robots.

This projectile has BULLETDROP! I don't want this weapon to be either hitscan, or a mysterious straight flying object without any kind of aerodynamic, nor a hitscan weapon.
This weapon should be not too hard to use but it should definately not be a weapon suitable for beginners.

Some other related stats:
The projectile speed should be medium, not as fast as the GL, but not as slow as the Detonator.
The Bullet drop should be high so the distance of the DNRG-Laucnher is low to medium. It is designed for close-mod combat, not for harrassing opponents.

Note: This weapon is designed to quickly alpha strike an enemy sniper for example but beeing able to retreat soon before the enemy team is coming for help. The infected mech (infected with Nanorobots) will still receive damage and eventually die if there is no tech or if his HP were too low at the time of the Scorpion's engage.
Example scenario: Scorpion sneaks up, alpha strikes, retreats safely before enemy team is able to protect their teammate, infeccted mech eventually dies due to infection of Nanorobots.

Edited by FakeName, May 18 2014 - 02:23 AM.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#3 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 03:04 AM

Sorry, didn't explain the Zapper torch very well.

Do you ever see the repair torches on the default drones_ The way they repair looks kind of electrical. I was thinking of a weapon like that, but it could also steal energy (and EU) from mechs. This ends up disabling the mech, like an EMP affect. As long as the main weapon is firing, it can prevent the mech from starting up. The Zapper torch can then give EU to other players, or kill the enemy mech. Here's what I mean by electrical repair torch:
Posted Image

Of course, maybe in blue or somethin'.

Edited by Brycko, May 18 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#4 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted May 18 2014 - 05:11 AM

Well I think the EU feature could be removed because iti s for Siege ONLY. But yeah, this reminds me of a laser I suggested a long time ago with an EMP effect.

However, I like the idea of having FINALLY a weapon with SOME KIND of deny to enemies.

+1

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#5 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 18 2014 - 12:50 PM

The weapons are actually fairly diverse, as in they all have their niche. For example, the SMC is close range whereas the Assault rifle is medium range. SA hawkins is for long range sustained fire, and is in a good place.

I agree there needs to be a little more diversity in the secondary department, but just subbing current secondaries out for others is not a terribly good way to remedy the problem. We should instead have different versions of these weapons, such as a Class-A, Class-B, and Class-C TOW launcher/GL. Or possibly just more secondary weapons, though I would not even know where to start.

The prestige weapons are NOT supposed to be better. The different weapon unlocks are for playstyle differences only. For example: the SA Hawkins takes the Brawler from a in-your-face burst mech to a medium range sustained fighter that has good DPS but lowers the burst damage the mech normally affords with its Flak Cannon.

SoldierHobbes11 has a good guide in progress, the Assault guide has some good information about how its three primaries work (and how different they can be).
https://community.pl...rk-in-progress/

#6 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 19 2014 - 07:23 AM

View Postninjab3ta, on May 18 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

The weapons are actually fairly diverse, as in they all have their niche. For example, the SMC is close range whereas the Assault rifle is medium range. SA hawkins is for long range sustained fire, and is in a good place.

I agree there needs to be a little more diversity in the secondary department, but just subbing current secondaries out for others is not a terribly good way to remedy the problem. We should instead have different versions of these weapons, such as a Class-A, Class-B, and Class-C TOW launcher/GL. Or possibly just more secondary weapons, though I would not even know where to start.

The prestige weapons are NOT supposed to be better. The different weapon unlocks are for playstyle differences only. For example: the SA Hawkins takes the Brawler from a in-your-face burst mech to a medium range sustained fighter that has good DPS but lowers the burst damage the mech normally affords with its Flak Cannon.

SoldierHobbes11 has a good guide in progress, the Assault guide has some good information about how its three primaries work (and how different they can be).
I agree, that all weapons have their little niche, but some are either to condensed in that niche whereas others are just to widely spread. (I'm not by any degree saying that they are all in the wrong places). Also, about the SA Hawkins, if it is for long range sustained fire, what is it doing on the Brawler_ The Brawler is a close range tank! I just seems to me there is a bit of misconception of the weapon there, although i do understand the devs want to give us options.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the second idea, about the secondary weapons. That is definitely what should be done. (in my opinion).

I'm having a terrible time phrasing my paragraph on prestige weapons. I'm trying to say exactly what you say, just i'm phrasing it wrong. Could you help me explain it better_ (I've had 3 complaints about it already).

Thanks for the Feedback/opinions!

#7 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted May 19 2014 - 01:53 PM

I'm down with most of this. There are only two things about it that I actually disagree with. Firstly, the Zapper, while it sounds cool, seems to closely related to the Helix to be a thing. The other thing I don't like is the Breacher Brawler. I feel like that would be a mismatch. Maybe the Rfeflak, or T-32_ Something along those lines. Personally, I think the Tech should've gotten the Breacher, instead of that useless highlighter, but oh well. -_-

Edited by SatelliteJack, May 19 2014 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#8 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 06:15 AM

View PostSatelliteJack, on May 19 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm down with most of this. There are only two things about it that I actually disagree with. Firstly, the Zapper, while it sounds cool, seems to closely related to the Helix to be a thing. The other thing I don't like is the Breacher Brawler. I feel like that would be a mismatch. Maybe the Rfeflak, or T-32_ Something along those lines. Personally, I think the Tech should've gotten the Breacher, instead of that useless highlighter, but oh well. -_-

Brawler already has the Reflak, and the T-32 is incredibly similar to that. I'm still trying to think of another weapon that could go well with it. As for the Zapper torch, it's a bit like the relationship with the Reflak and the T-32. They have slightly different functionality, but they are otherwise very similar. I'm not sure about the tech weapon, but I just can't imagine seeing it on any other mech, making it less of a great weapon.

Edit: Sorry, I'm getting the Reflak mixed up with the Flak Cannon. I meant to say it's like a Flak canon/t-32 bolt relationship.

Edited by Brycko, May 20 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#9 RaphaBr

RaphaBr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 08:50 AM

Reading this post I came a doubt beginner.

I can buy weapons that are not intended for my metch to use it_

Example: I have a Vanguard can equip it with the fire of Hell Rocketeer_

I believe the answer is no, more like to be sure.

#10 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostRaphaBr, on May 20 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

Reading this post I came a doubt beginner.

I can buy weapons that are not intended for my metch to use it_

Example: I have a Vanguard can equip it with the fire of Hell Rocketeer_

I believe the answer is no, more like to be sure.
No, unfortunately and fortunately, you can't do that in Hawken. It would be cool, but it would break the game balance. Currently, A mech has one weapon on his right arm, that is permanent, and one weapon on his left arm, with three options (that you have to unlock). I'm trying to make this 4 or 5 options on the left arm (amongst other things).

#11 RaphaBr

RaphaBr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply Brycko.

4 or 5 options as well_ I can clarify this point_

Edited by RaphaBr, May 20 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#12 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostBrycko, on May 19 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

View Postninjab3ta, on May 18 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

I agree, that all weapons have their little niche, but some are either to condensed in that niche whereas others are just to widely spread. (I'm not by any degree saying that they are all in the wrong places). Also, about the SA Hawkins, if it is for long range sustained fire, what is it doing on the Brawler_ The Brawler is a close range tank! I just seems to me there is a bit of misconception of the weapon there, although i do understand the devs want to give us options.

It's, as I said, for a playstyle change. It moves the Brawler from a close-range tank to a more ranged support role. And IMO also makes its turret mode a ton more viable, since you are less prone to getting it from behind. I can explain more if you need me to.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the second idea, about the secondary weapons. That is definitely what should be done. (in my opinion).

I'm having a terrible time phrasing my paragraph on prestige weapons. I'm trying to say exactly what you say, just i'm phrasing it wrong. Could you help me explain it better_ (I've had 3 complaints about it already).

Thanks for the Feedback/opinions!

From your OP:

So, Hawken lets us change our weapons as we rank up, which I like, however, with only three primaries to choose from, and an obligatory secondary, I feel as if it is quite linear. As your rank up, you unlock new weapons, but you are always aiming for the "Prestige" weapon, which is supposed to be the best, when actually with weapon balancing, everything is kinda in the same playing field. I feel as if it needs to be considered more of an option.

Are you suggesting that we have a "direct upgrade" sort of prestige weapon_ At first this sounds like a good idea, but because of the way matchmaking is, once a new player gets middle-of-the-road they start fighting people with these direct upgrades, and they will more than likely get utterly wrecked. Which is bad for player-retention.

Also, like I said before, the weaponry system feels linear. You unlock three weapons (primaries), and that's it. Yet, we have 33 weapons in the game (23 primary, 10 secondary). We should be using these weapons more diversely. I think we should have a 4th or 5th primary weapon for each mech, and possibly for some other mechs, a 2nd secondary (I say "some others" because this obviously wouldn't work with G2's or support classes. I understand that the weapons on these classes is what makes them unique, but their should really be more than just 10 secondaries).

I agree with the secondaries as well, but from a lore perspective, it actually makes more sense to have just the few. Since the game is about two super-corporations duking it out for rights to raw materials, workers, etc., it should feel like each company has its own select few "specialty weapons" (as in, the secondaries) that it slaps on every mech it has, trying its best to shove a less-than-ideal piece of hardware onto a new mech  because it's already mass-produced and so they don't have to re-invent the wheel every time. Don't get me wrong, I would also love for more secondary weapon diversity, but it's not really terrible as-is and does have some logic behind it.

A cool thing for primaries would be if you could purchase primary weapons individually in the market, and slap them on any mech you want. The ony issue is, you must have 1 weapon for each mech you want to use it on. So, if you have 11 mechs and you want to potentially use the SMC on all of them, you must purchase 11 of that gun. And there would be some limitations too. For instance, the Seeker used on anything but the Bruiser or Rocketeer would be dumbfire only, since the fire control for guidance is only installed on those mechs with the Hellfire. The SMC, Assault Rifle, and Vulcan would pretty much be usable on everything, possibly with a range and/or accuracy nerf for the mechs it was not intended for (needed jurry-rigged mounts or whatever). And some of the heavier primaries like BBY-Bear and REV-GL would either slow down a lighter class mech or be nigh-unsuable (wieght overloads the arm joint and can't aim past horizontal).

Stuff like this_ If I had the motivation I would probably make my own thread, but I'll just coat-tail on yours eh_

Edited by ninjab3ta, May 20 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 27 2014 - 02:18 AM

While I broadly agree, I have to say I either don't follow or disagree with your specifics.

I'm fine with a lot of the weapons being shared because it gives a sense of unity to the game. Their purpose also changes drastically depending on the mech and its ability. In your example of the SA Hawkins, for example, I disagree entirely - it changes the Brawler from being an in-your-face heavy to a long range harasser/denier that you are pretty much never going to move. On the sharpshooter it gives the mech more viable close-in defence.

Also, you have to be really careful which mechs you give what to. The RPR is fine on the Reaper, but if you give that to something like the Infiltrator which can close easily to offset its main disadvantage, you're creating problems.

In terms of secondaries, yeah, some kind of prestige secondary might be cool, but then what do you do for the mechs whose secondaries are core to their purpose like the Incinerator and Technician_ If everyone else gets variable secondaries, they are going to fuzzy bunny as well. (though I do like the idea of maybe giving them variable warheads for varied TOWs, GLs, etc.)

#14 ShockBlast

ShockBlast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted May 27 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on May 27 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

Also, you have to be really careful which mechs you give what to. The RPR is fine on the Reaper, but if you give that to something like the Infiltrator which can close easily to offset its main disadvantage, you're creating problems.

If everyone else gets variable secondaries, they are going to fuzzy bunny as well. (though I do like the idea of maybe giving them variable warheads for varied TOWs, GLs, etc.)

The Infiltrator has the Assault Rifle as its default primary, so giving it a RPR would create a problem how_ From my point of view, the RPR and Assault Rifle are very similar weapons. Variable warheads on the secondary explosives launchers sounds like a neat idea, though maybe you could explain it a bit further_

#15 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 12:39 PM

While I broadly agree, I have to say I either don't follow or disagree with your specifics.

In terms of secondaries, yeah, some kind of prestige secondary might be cool, but then what do you do for the mechs whose secondaries are core to their purpose like the Incinerator and Technician_
Well, I wasn't thinking of a weapon with completely different functionality, but I was more thinking of a weapon that stays core to the purpose, Essentially (shivers in horror) a G2 repair torch, or some weapon that could help the Technician remain the Technician, but have a different functionality to the repair torch (for example).

I did see another thread where somebody came up with the idea of having different variations of (lets say, for example) the Tow Launcher for each class. I'm thinking of variations like that, but not across the classes, but across functionaries. It's a different weapon, yes, but it remains the (for example) Tow Launcher at it's core.To simply put it, I'm thinking of variations of weapons, but remains what makes the weapon what it is. (Examples: how the B4By, P4pa and M4ma weapons change, but with a bigger visual difference. Another example is the Vulcan and the VulcanXT. Possibly something like the Hawkins RPR and the SA Hawkins)

On the other points, ya, I was using some lousy examples, but like ShockBlast above, I can't really see the effect of the RPR being replaced with the Assault Rifle being so serious.

Also, with the SA Hawkins, I just say this because I feel as if the Brawler should be a close range tank, as that's what it's designed for.

#16 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 30 2014 - 10:07 AM

Officially hijacking this thread due to sudden inspiration.

In an earlier post, I mention how we could possibly have variations on the more common secondary weapons so we could have some weapon diversity. Specifically, how we could have Class-A, -B, and -C types. Well, I finally have what I consider to be a neat idea for the TOW. Additional input is welcome.

Class-A TOW:

TOW-KE

The TOW-KE is a kinetic energy based weapon, relying more on the speed of the projectile rather than a large explosive payload to deal damage to enemy armor. The rocket for the TOW-KE still carries an explosive charge, but it is a shape-charge payload rather than just a standard payload. With this installed, there is more room for fuel in the rocket, making the rocket both lighter and move a greater velocity. The reduced weight allows the reloading mechanism to load the rockets faster.

Basic differences: Faster rocket speed, higher impact damage, smaller explosion radius, faster reload (numbers up for debate)

Class-B TOW

Standard TOW launcher

No changes.

Class-C TOW

TOW-A

The TOW-A is an assault weapon designed to give more bang for one's buck. Packed to the brim with explosives, these new rockets offer a much larger explosive radius. Combined with advanaces in new explosive material, the TOW-A rockets also have less fall-off in terms of power, meaning that anything caught in the explosion will take significant damage. However, in order to not have to develope a new launching mechanism to fire off this beast of a rocket, modifications to standard TOW rockets remove some of the fuel tank in order to pack in more explosive. Because of this, and because the new explosive charge weighs much more than a standard TOW rocket, the TOW-A rockets move at a slower velocity, and also have a finite range before the fuel runs out and the rocket drops from the sky. The increased weight of the rocket also slows the reload of the mechanism.

Basic differences: bigger explosion, less damage fall-off, slower rocket speed, maximum range reduced, slower reload

All variations retain the ability to manually detonate.

Was thiniking of similar variations to the GL, but still needs some thought.

#17 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 30 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostShockBlast, on May 27 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

If everyone else gets variable secondaries, they are going to fuzzy bunny as well. (though I do like the idea of maybe giving them variable warheads for varied TOWs, GLs, etc.)

The Infiltrator has the Assault Rifle as its default primary, so giving it a RPR would create a problem how_ From my point of view, the RPR and Assault Rifle are very similar weapons. Variable warheads on the secondary explosives launchers sounds like a neat idea, though maybe you could explain it a bit further_

The RPR is actually less accurate at longer ranges than the AR and does more damage. As a Reaper, you want to maintain medium-to-short distances with it to maximize your dmg vs acc. An Infiltrator has the means to get in and/or out to maximize your damage, period. No drawback.

As to the payloads, I meant this, basically:

View Postninjab3ta, on May 30 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

Officially hijacking this thread due to sudden inspiration.

In an earlier post, I mention how we could possibly have variations on the more common secondary weapons so we could have some weapon diversity. Specifically, how we could have Class-A, -B, and -C types. Well, I finally have what I consider to be a neat idea for the TOW. Additional input is welcome.

Class-A TOW:

TOW-KE

The TOW-KE is a kinetic energy based weapon, relying more on the speed of the projectile rather than a large explosive payload to deal damage to enemy armor. The rocket for the TOW-KE still carries an explosive charge, but it is a shape-charge payload rather than just a standard payload. With this installed, there is more room for fuel in the rocket, making the rocket both lighter and move a greater velocity. The reduced weight allows the reloading mechanism to load the rockets faster.

Basic differences: Faster rocket speed, higher impact damage, smaller explosion radius, faster reload (numbers up for debate)

Class-B TOW

Standard TOW launcher

No changes.

Class-C TOW

TOW-A

The TOW-A is an assault weapon designed to give more bang for one's buck. Packed to the brim with explosives, these new rockets offer a much larger explosive radius. Combined with advanaces in new explosive material, the TOW-A rockets also have less fall-off in terms of power, meaning that anything caught in the explosion will take significant damage. However, in order to not have to develope a new launching mechanism to fire off this beast of a rocket, modifications to standard TOW rockets remove some of the fuel tank in order to pack in more explosive. Because of this, and because the new explosive charge weighs much more than a standard TOW rocket, the TOW-A rockets move at a slower velocity, and also have a finite range before the fuel runs out and the rocket drops from the sky. The increased weight of the rocket also slows the reload of the mechanism.

Basic differences: bigger explosion, less damage fall-off, slower rocket speed, maximum range reduced, slower reload

All variations retain the ability to manually detonate.

Was thiniking of similar variations to the GL, but still needs some thought.

#18 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 12:25 PM

Back with another fun installment on weapon variation, this time featuring the Grenade Launcher! As usual, input is welcome and actual stats are up for debate.

Grenade Launcher-IMP

Impact:

The grenade for this launcher substitutes its heavy steel casing for one made of a much lighter material derived from plant material. Similar to a ultra-tough paperboard, the new case lightens the grenade substantially, allowing it to fly faster and further with a flatter trajectory. However, this case also vaporizes on detonation, reducing the effective blast radius of the grenade due to a lack of shrapnel (this also reduces the damage slightly for non-direct hits). The case also affects the "bounciness" of the grenade, reducing the energy that gets conserved through hitting walls. The reduced weight of this grenade allows for a faster reload.

Basic differences: faster projectile, flatter arc, faster reload, small explosive radius, slightly less damage non-impact, does not bounce very well off walls

Grenade Launcher-HE

High Explosive:

Similar to the TOW-A, this grenade sports a very-high-yield explosive filler that is substantially heavier than the standard explosive. This makes the grenade have a slower speed and a more arced trajectory than the standard grenade. But the explosion is much larger and more powerful, making it a powerful offensive tool. The heavier grenade makes for a longer reload.

Basic differences: longer reload, more arced trajectory, larger explosive radius with less damage falloff, slower grenade speed

Grenade Launcher-MAG

Magnetic:

This grenade has a magnetized casing that allows it to stick to enemy mechs. The proximity fuse that is normally used for the grenade launcher is instead replaced with a timer that activates when the magnets are engaged. The timer fuse takes up slightly less space inside the warhead, so a little more explosive is added, giving a slightly larger explosive radius to this grenade.

Basic differences: sticks to enemies instead of impact-detonation, timer fuse on impact, slightly larger explosive radius

Grenade Launcher-RBR

Rubber:

As the name implies, this grenade has a coating of rubber on the outside of its casing, allowing it to bounce much further than other grenades. However, the rubber coating also cushions the grenade, making it so once it has bounced it does not have sufficient energy to set of the impact fuse on the grenade.

Basic differences: bounces much further, no impact detonation if bounced of surface

As with the TOW, all variants retain the manual detonation option.

Edited by ninjab3ta, May 31 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#19 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 12:29 PM

Feel free to Hijack the thread. I love the weapon variations.

#20 ninjab3ta

ninjab3ta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostBrycko, on May 31 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Feel free to Hijack the thread. I love the weapon variations.

I'm glad you like. What should my next project be_ Was thinking about some stuff with the Hellfires, but still needs more thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users