HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How do you kill a scout.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:03 PM

Cue smart-aleck answers. ("Shoot him duh")

But I seriously think these guys are OP. Maybe I can't shoot for fuzzy bunny or I'm doing something wrong, but if you're up against a scout who knows what he's doing 9 outta 10 times I'll die, and I will die much faster than if I'm up against any other mech.

So are there any kind of tactics I can use against a scout or tricks I should try or watch out for_

Posted Image

#2 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:07 PM

Chances are when you face one, they will have air-compressor installed. This makes it tricky to defeat one, but having patience with your weapons usually gives you the victory—so long as you have decent aim.
Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#3 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:13 PM

Well hitting them with my secondary and following up with my primary usually does the trick for me... if anything I go back to step 1 which is using the secondary, now if they start dodging that is when you have to start aiming I know ... way out there, first time someone told me to aim i was LOL WUT_

P.S

View PostROSING, on May 20 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Never ever ever say this. It like telling someone to not think about cookies and what do they think about ... cookies...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#4 Niels

Niels

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:18 PM

Don't panic and don't start shooting everywhere. That's usually why scouts win.
Make room between you and him (flak is short-range, TOW is slow), fire your primary and keep your secondary for after his dodges. Aim at his feet, so if you miss the splash damage may still wreck him.

Edited by Niels, May 20 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#5 ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostBazookagofer, on May 20 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

View PostROSING, on May 20 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Never ever ever say this. It like telling someone to not think about cookies and what do they think about ... cookies...

Just anticipating things, you can't stop trolls...only prepare for them.

Posted Image

#6 Estif

Estif

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:32 PM

Can someone bring a pro guy in here_, u..u we need to know da secretz!

Posted Image

#7 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:03 PM

You talking about that match we had earlier_

Posted Image

#8 ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:09 PM

I am indeed. You are a scary man, Nokes.

And also, every other time a pro scout was in my game...

Edited by ROSING, May 20 2014 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostROSING, on May 20 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

I am indeed. You are a scary man, Nokes.

Hah, well I can at least give you some insights.

I run a Flak Scout and don't use air compressor on ANY of my mechs, so I'm a bit out of the ordinary I guess, but I run across a lot of Scouts that do use air compressor. In my experience it's mostly about predicting movements and leading your TOWs to where you think they're gonna go. Though that takes a lot of experience to master.

If you can get them behind a pillar, that's a great place to be, because at that point it's about herding and trying to act unpredictable yourself. Usually people who get into pillar circling situations, the instinct is to circle in either one direction or to get into a seesaw rhythm of poking out one side to burst, dodging back to cover, then poking out the other side to burst, dodging back to cover, and so on. Very predictable movements that can be avoided or disrupted. If you use EOC, that's a good time to start laying mines back and forth from side to side to where their only options are to fly or go straight backwards.

If they're the air compressor type that loves to come barreling in, jumps up and tries to air dodge dance around you, I try to do a combo of boosting under them while dodging randomly in every direction. I shoot with my Flak as often as possible and wait to use my TOW until immediately after they've dodged or facing the direction I predict they'll go. It's kind of 50/50 of whether you can avoid shots vs land your own shots.

Personally, the bane of my existence are Predators and Vanguard. The Pred is good because 1) they can sneak up invisible, 2) have a high power burst primary, 3) and the EOC pucks take big chunks of the Scouts low armor. Not an easy mech to play though since mines can be avoided and aren't easy to get hits when you try to hit a flying target dodging in the air.
The Vanguard is good because of its faster speed than other C-classes, high armor, and both primaries and secondary deal high damage.

P.S. If you're hovering in the air, you're an easier target for me and easier to avoid. That gives me a chance to get close fast and boost/dodge around underneath you while you try to keep track, or I can use pillar tactics until my weapons cool down or my fuel tanks refill. I've survived many 2v1 and 3v1 situations doing that. It's even easier for me if you don't use air compressor.

Edited by nokari, May 21 2014 - 12:08 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:53 PM

https://community.pl...ng-with-scouts/

little outdated now, but - yeah read this too.

#11 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted May 21 2014 - 12:33 AM

Well I like to wait till they think they're safe repairing, then I sneak around their defenses and throw everything I have at them. It's sort of like waiting for Bambi to lean down for that berry bush. Boom. Easy prey. But that's the Predator class, sneaking is what they do. In a stand up fight, it's difficult to know really. There are a lot of variables, like what mech you have, your internals, their internals, weapon choices... It goes on.

If you are looking to pick up the Pred, be warned, there is a steep learning curve. However, once you're past that curve, you can get scary good results with it. That, and there aren't many Preds that are "good", and I don't mean to insult any particular pilot, but a good Predator is easy to see in the score rankings. With this mech, a Scout can be easy prey, depending on how long you practice. Mines deal a fair amount of damage and do so in a good distance from their origin point. They burst outward from their face(light), rather than in all directions, much like a claymore. This can be great if you've got an airdodging scout/berserker that has it's sights on you. You can lay them down on the ground, and if they don't land, just blow the mines. This kinda stuff is covered in the Predator guide by Lightangel.

TL:DR, Pred's a good mech, you should pick it up and stick with it. Read Lightangel's guide, and you'll be killing scouts in no time.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#12 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 21 2014 - 12:41 AM

Obv. pay attention to the guy up there dispensing the good word, but what I found helped me a lot was giving myself target area goals for aoe weapons. Like,
  • I suck. I'm going to try wing them.
  • Ok, kinda getting the hang of this, lets get those explosives closer!
  • Alright, now I'm getting solid damage on them, let's keep it in that circle and try to nail them.
  • NAILING THEM

After like a weeks of inching the circle closer and closer, I'm pretty well in 3 there. of course, these aren't going to happen 100% of the time, but I think it's a pretty good scale.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 21 2014 - 12:43 AM

View PostKilleR_OrigiNs, on May 21 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

If you are looking to pick up the Pred, be warned, there is a steep learning curve.

Understatement of the goddamn century here.

Also, it will ruin your playstyle for every other mech. Expect to have to "cleanse" yourself.

#14 kerberan

kerberan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on May 21 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Also, it will ruin your playstyle for every other mech. Expect to have to "cleanse" yourself.

And if you manage to cleanse yourself you won't be able to pilot the pred anymore :-)

#15 kingalbert2

kingalbert2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Locationaboard the Litany of Fury

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:23 AM

here is a tip that will sound weird: the grenadier (and vanguard as such)
scouts move so erratic and much that if you fire a gl in their general direction, chances are big they'll be in its blast radius at some point, at which you boom the nade
this is how i go vs both scout and techies
Posted Image

#16 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:12 AM

View Postkingalbert2, on May 21 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

here is a tip that will sound weird: the grenadier (and vanguard as such)
scouts move so erratic and much that if you fire a gl in their general direction, chances are big they'll be in its blast radius at some point, at which you boom the nade
this is how i go vs both scout and techies

This is true. GL can be a big headache for me because of the bouncing around. It's hard to avoid them in tight spaces.

Posted Image

#17 Stokes17

Stokes17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:55 AM

My biggest single piece of advice, is to be very selective in using your secondary.  This applies always, obviously, but is especially important against A classes.  A lot of newer players use their secondary as often as they can, and it can be very predictable.

What you want to do is wait until the mech starts its dodge animation, then shoot the secondary to where the animation will finish.  A skilled player is going to be pretty difficult to predict in a straightup 1v1, so while he is in the dodge animation is the best chance you will have to land a secondary.  That said a solid TOW/grenade is usually enough to give you the major advantage in a 1v1 vs a scout.  My strategy from there (assuming i have like ~200 more hp than him atm ) is to get close, like on his face, and hit my hitscan, he can't really TOW from that position or hell kill himself.

Usually the scout is just going to run away if you land a secondary though, such is the way of the scout.

side note:That's why a lot of higher skilled players think A class is weak atm, one secondary hit and you are out of the fight.  And most fights are not 1v1

#18 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 12:09 PM

Fire your burst weapons after they have dodged, while dodging their burst weapons as well.
If you master both these aspects, no scout will dare take you lightly and will use caution now.

Edited by Lightangel112, May 21 2014 - 12:10 PM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#19 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on May 21 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Understatement of the goddamn century here.

Well I wouldn't want to scare him away from the Predator, it's steep, but once you start on it it's not so bad.

And yes. Cleansing is a good word choice for that. Still can't play as my Scout.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#20 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:05 PM

First off, scout is not OP at all if someone sneezes on a scout too hard it falls apart...

now that that's cleared away... here's a couple tips from a scout pilot and a fellow scrapper of scouts.
  • Don't panic
  • get space between yourself and them, the flak and miniflak are awful at range
  • what until they dodge to fire your secondary, its much easier to catch them then
  • if you play a burst class do NOT fire wildly, it'll bite you in the ass
  • try to be accurate, scouts are flimsy, even just a few well placed shots will make a huge difference
  • if its a heat scout close the gap between you, the heat cannon is a lot harder to use up close
  • if they start dancing circles around you, do not panic, just find their pattern, a lot of people have a pattern they follow
  • and finally treat them like you would any A class, they are squishy, and have awful range so just keep your distance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users