HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to not get stomped in a 'fair' fight as a Pred_

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Are my observations on the Predator correct_ (11 member(s) have cast votes)

(Please elaborate in a post.)

1. Completely (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Mostly (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Somewhat (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

4. Not at all (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 24 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on May 24 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Are shock coils and the fail safe really worth giving up for air compressor_ I'd be willing to dump my fail safe, but shock coils have been tremendously useful for me. (It'd take a good deal to make me consider ditching advanced reconstructor. That thing has saved my life so many times.)

Air Compressor allows you to play VERY aggressively, alot more so then without Air Compressor.
I personally run Air Compressor with Advanced Reconstructor, so no need to ditch it.
Shock Coil is useless in pubs, nobody there knows what the Radar is anyway.

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on May 24 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I play on the US servers, though I'd be willing to hop on the European servers. My ping won't be great, but I can certainly do it.

I'll add you in-game once my chat bug is fixed.

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on May 24 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Before playing Hawken, I spent most of my gaming time playing Planetside 2. In Planetside 2, shotguns have an optimal range of about ten meters. I came into Hawken with that in mind. Because of that, I almost never fired off flak shots with my Breacher. After watching this video, I realized that such was my main problem.

So I played a few rounds of TDM without using its slug fire mode, and I decimated everything. Flanking maneuvers worked, turreted C classes were toast. It was actually really very fun. I'll check out the rest of your videos, because that was great.

I'm used to medium-ranged Shotguns.
Adapting to the Breacher and Reflak didn't take very long for me.

Great to know it helped; thus far I didn't know if my videos helped anyone at all.

I'll see you on the battlefield.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#22 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted May 24 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 24 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Air Compressor allows you to play VERY aggressively, alot more so then without Air Compressor.
I personally run Air Compressor with Advanced Reconstructor, so no need to ditch it.
Shock Coil is useless in pubs, nobody there knows what the Radar is anyway.

Ah well. I'll still cringe whenever I'm forced to break my fall with a boost.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, May 24 2014 - 10:35 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#23 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted May 24 2014 - 12:22 PM

The Predator is not intended for "fair fight" scenarios. Stealth classes never are and shouldn't be.

Only engage when things are entirely in your favor, otherwise run like a scared little schoolgirl. That's pretty much how I play sneaky classes, and it generally works out pretty well.

#24 ArgosRho

ArgosRho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted May 24 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on May 23 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Greetings!

A few days ago, I bought the Predator. I enjoy it. Coming from the Reaper, it didn't seem to hard to get used to.

However, I've reached a problem. I've found that it's extremely difficult for me to destroy another mech in a 'fair' fight. That being, a fight where both players spot each other at the same time. Bonus points if my foe is an A class with air compressor.

If a fight turns into a peek a boo battle, I get demolished if I can't find a way to put a bit of range between me and my opponent. If my opponent starts to fly, my secondary is pretty ineffective. If I engage my opponent outside of a cramped area, it's likely he'll be able to boost away from me right after I deliver my alpha strike. On occasion, those opponents even manage to take me out.

21st

I've mainlined predator, scout, and reaper since I bought the game. I'm not a prop by any means, my mmr is about 1900, so theres that.
Predator and "Fair Fight" should never happen, at least in my personal opinion. I've never had any more of a butt-clenching experience than trying to fight head to head in a predator. The only advice I can give you is face weakened opponents and LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Take fights only in spots you can gain the advantage and still have an escape route. I've never once died in a location where I have chosen and decided the advantage, weakened enemies dont stand a chance so long as they are caught off guard.

#25 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 24 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostCoboxite, on May 23 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Don't play fair as a Pred.

View PostMawnkey, on May 24 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

The Predator is not intended for "fair fight" scenarios.

View PostArgosRho, on May 24 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Predator and "Fair Fight" should never happen, at least in my personal opinion.

:mellow: ..

Posted Image

Spoiler

#26 Desert_Fox2

Desert_Fox2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted May 24 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 24 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Was thinking about a recycling truck going by.

#27 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 30 2014 - 06:22 AM

I prefer items that can deal dmg without the heat. EMP is great, but it doesn't fill this requirement. Though I can finish most people in the limit, if I get another opponent right after I may overheat and die as a result. I will try MK2 Det and EMP in future see how it goes, I like both. If you have breacher you don't need emp for shields or blockades as slug breacher can go through both.

Internals anything with Air Compressor is debatable, but you need AC to be aggressive with Pred. I like using deflectors and basic failsafe on my pred. The double shot is a slug shot and flak round after it, the delay is only 1 second instead of the full 2 seconds. People should use the 1-2 puck breacher combo more as it does 160 dmg in straight shots in the mid range. Very effective.

Imo the height radius of pucks is now = to a B class mech now. Most mechs fly height is double of this so fairly easy to get people flying up now. I like Breacher most and EOC R isn't far behind breacher imo, I just hate that T-32 weapon, absolute garbage.

Edited by Lightangel112, May 30 2014 - 06:24 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#28 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostLightangel112, on May 30 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I prefer items that can deal dmg without the heat.

I prefer apples.

I like Breacher most and EOC R isn't far behind breacher imo,

Breacher is by far the best weapon for assault roles, and aggressive playing in general.
In comp. play it's better then EOC R in most situations as well, thanks due to the EOC R's travel and charge time.
Situations like corner poking, punishing enemies that overextend, you name it.

I just hate that T-32 weapon, absolute garbage.

The T32 is good as well, but probably the worst out of all 3 of them for Predator.
If the enemy only has 5 HP left and you need 1 more shot after you fired, the T32'd be better due to refire time.
That's about the only thing it has over the other 2 weapons.

People should use the 1-2 puck breacher combo more as it does 160 dmg in straight shots in the mid range. Very effective.

Does even more up close.
I use FLAK mode Breacher more then Slug mode simply due to the raw damage output.
Effective range of Slug mode's not even that long.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#29 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 30 2014 - 06:38 AM

View PostMeraple, on May 30 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Does even more up close.
I use FLAK mode Breacher more then Slug mode simply due to the raw damage output.
Effective range of Slug mode's not even that long.
Yeah that is true, 204 dmg, awesomeness!

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#30 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted May 30 2014 - 07:51 AM

I prefer items that can deal dmg without the heat. EMP is great, but it doesn't fill this requirement. Though I can finish most people in the limit, if I get another opponent right after I may overheat and die as a result. I will try MK2 Det and EMP in future see how it goes, I like both. If you have breacher you don't need emp for shields or blockades as slug breacher can go through both.

Internals anything with Air Compressor is debatable, but you need AC to be aggressive with Pred. I like using deflectors and basic failsafe on my pred. The double shot is a slug shot and flak round after it, the delay is only 1 second instead of the full 2 seconds. People should use the 1-2 puck breacher combo more as it does 160 dmg in straight shots in the mid range. Very effective.

Imo the height radius of pucks is now = to a B class mech now. Most mechs fly height is double of this so fairly easy to get people flying up now. I like Breacher most and EOC R isn't far behind breacher imo, I just hate that T-32 weapon, absolute garbage.

I've been using EMP for the past week. It's interesting, but I've found my shields to be far more useful. Place one if you're low on health and on the run, place one if both you and your enemy are low on health and breach through it, place one then curve around it to avoid as much fire as possible.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, May 30 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#31 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on May 30 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I've been using EMP for the past week. It's interesting, but I've found my shields to be far more useful. Place one if you're low on health and on the run, place one if both you and your enemy are low on health, place one then curve around it to avoid as much fire as possible.

I just love dancing with people when I pop my shield.
It's just so fullfilling to take down a full-HP B class with your 50 HP after you put down your shield. :wub:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#32 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted May 30 2014 - 11:36 AM

Don't play pred in fair fight _

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#33 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted May 30 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostDesert_Fox2, on May 24 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostBazookagofer, on May 30 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

There it goes again! Haha

#34 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 30 2014 - 01:10 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on May 30 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostDesert_Fox2, on May 24 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostBazookagofer, on May 30 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

There it goes again! Haha

Here's a smiley just for you.

:mellow:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#35 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted May 30 2014 - 01:34 PM

- As people have previously said, NEVER FIGHT FAIR.
- The second piece of advise I can give you is to use yourself as bait against A classes. Most maps have narrow corridors placed fairly evenly around them. These choke points and corners are your best friend
- Third don't lay corer traps at ground level. Set them right in the middle of the wall you are trying to trap. That way you can hit them with a remote detonate even if they fly around the corner.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#36 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted May 31 2014 - 08:52 AM

In the right hands, the Predator is a formidable 1v1 opponent.
http://www.twitch.tv...acius/c/4267391

Edited by mmm_yep, May 31 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#37 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 09:01 AM

I've been using EMP for the past week. It's interesting, but I've found my shields to be far more useful. Place one if you're low on health and on the run, place one if both you and your enemy are low on health and breach through it, place one then curve around it to avoid as much fire as possible.
The thing I find with shields is, that I just about get in 2 shots before they get through it, if they are boosting they take less dmg thanks to deflector, and the breacher dmg is also reduced thanks to the shields. Imo it isn't worth it to get away, I either go all the way or die trying, simple ideology imo. I go for broke, if I'm going or about to go down, I take someone with me, at least!

Edited by Lightangel112, May 31 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#38 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 31 2014 - 09:09 AM

View PostLightangel112, on May 31 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

The thing I find with shields is, that I just about get in 2 shots before they get through it, if they are boosting they take less dmg thanks to deflector, and the breacher dmg is also reduced thanks to the shields. Imo it isn't worth it to get away, I either go all the way or die trying, simple ideology imo. I go for broke, if I'm going or about to go down, I take someone with me, at least!

Shields aren't only for shooting through them.
I often dance around in them with others,
using the Shield to pop a flak-mode Breacher in their face and then dodging in or out of it.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#39 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 31 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

Shields aren't only for shooting through them.
I often dance around in them with others,
using the Shield to pop a flak-mode Breacher in their face and then dodging in or out of it.
Yeah I know it can be pretty cool to pull off and I know OmegaNull does this well too. It's just not something I am fond off doing in my play-style much off or at all.

#40 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted May 31 2014 - 05:52 PM

Professional Yolodriving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users