HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Anime watcher_ What are you watching now_

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#41 SergeyOvD

SergeyOvD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Vinnytsia

Posted September 23 2012 - 02:29 AM

Recently I was looking Shiki and Highschool of the Dead

Edited by SergeyOvD, September 23 2012 - 02:30 AM.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k 5.2 GHz / Corsair H100

Memory: Team DDR3-2600 8192MB PC-20800 (Kit of 2x4096)

Video Card: Asus Radeon HD6990 4GB GDDR5 (256bit) (950/1450)

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 1TB 10000rpm 64MB 3.5 SATAIII

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
SSD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB PCI-Ex

#42 Envarist

Envarist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 23 2012 - 03:29 AM

View Post3l_Drako, on September 23 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

Pokemon was the only Anime i ever really watched

How young are you_

And I must say, the only still running manga -> anime adaptation that made a decent original ending was FMA. The endings of Claymore, Soul Eater, SnK, to name a few, was quite disappointing, to say the least.

Bokurano had a great variety of original ideas for giant mecha. So far, got to vote that anime as the best in terms of mecha creativity.

Speaking of Paprika. Tokyo Godfathers! And in association with the amazing Satoshi Kon, Paranoia Agent. <3333

And I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Cowboy Bebop. Epic. I adore the movie.

While on the topic of movies...

5 Centimeter per Second
Mononoke Hime
Howl's Moving Castle, both Studio Ghibli and Wynne Jone's versions.
Almost anything Studio Ghibli, and...

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I haven't met anyone who's seen the clip of Kawaranai Mono and not liked it.

Edited by Envarist, September 23 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#43 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 23 2012 - 07:24 AM

When I was really little, Robotech piqued my interest in what I later discovered to be the Macross Saga, and when it shifted gears into whatever the hell that other show was, I quickly lost interest because I had latched to the characters of Macross and it's setting and style.
Then, shopping through a local flea market, picked up a VHS of "Fight! Iczer One" and a hilariously cheesy english dub of what I JUST RECENTLY discovered to be Dagger of Kamui, but my video was called Revenge of the Ninja Warrior.

I played those tapes to death when I was little. Giant robot space lesbians and epically stylistic ninja action.

From there, it expanded into "Akira" as well as "Tank Police" ...can't believe I got away with watching that stuff when I was that age, lmao...come to think of it, I think they were passed down from my brother who's five years older than me. He also had a friend that would come over with a video recording of Mexican dubbed Dragonball Z. We had no idea what was going on (I vividly remember watching what I would later know to be a bloodied Perfect Cell) but we enjoyed the animated fights nontheless. I remember at some point my brother tried to show me Project A-Ko, and it flew right over my head. I may give it another shot someday.

Sometime later I was introduced to "Genocyber" which was my first impression of the ultra-gore, depressing ending anime's. I was thrilled to later discover a VHS of Macross "Do You Remember Love", "New Dominion: Tank Police", and in particular, "Iczer 3" which was the first subtitled anime I ever watched. I also watched the Ghost in the Shell movie and 80's Appleseed movie.

...Then Toonami happened, and ohhhh boy...

I was a huge Gundam Wing fan because of Toonami. But then "G Gundam" happened and I was like "lol wtf is this_" and that's when I realized that not only was G Gundam a kind of alternate universe of Wing, but Wing was an alternate universe of Universal Century Gundam, which Toonami started broadcasting. I'm pretty certain the 08th MS Team was what ultimately got me hooked to that lore (and maintains to be one of my favorite anime's, despite its faults), and I started paying close attention to the Gundam series that pertained to that timeline. Pretty soon I was watching and enjoying "0080: War in the Pocket", "0083: Stardust Memory", and even the original 1970's Gundam.

Becoming entirely too dependant on Toonami, though, I never really seeked out the missing pieces like Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, and others. I didn't even look into Macross's continuation until years later when Google Video was uploading new episodes of Macross Frontier as they were coming...I found it a lot less time consuming just to read about Macross II and 7 then watch them.

...But I totally saw Macross Plus. Strange, short, but good.

Around the time of Gundam Wing I was pretty into Outlaw Star, but outgrew it and loved Cowboy Bebop instead. I was enjoying Blue Submarine Number 6, but even owning the DVD's didn't make that OVA any more memorable. Weird how I completely forgot Blue Sub 6 even existed until I seriously started thinking about what all I've watched...

Around this point, freshman year of high school, I took Japanese class. I was kind of annoyed by the cat-ear wearing anime fans who were my classmates. They liked Sailor Moon, so if they liked Inuyasha too, I found myself distancing away from it. Then I watched it, and I just didn't like it. I got frustrated trying to learn Japanese, my grades started plummeting, and my teacher was kind of a jerk, so I was just being bombarded with negativity towards anime at the time, dropped out of Japanese class, and reverted to other things....like this newfangled Adult Swim.

Then eventually I watched some of Hellsing Ultimate, but I stopped around the episode where whats-her-face who's called "Sir" was driven away from a burning city in her car. That priest dude with the bayonets goes on and on and on with this long, LONG, speech, and I'm just like "GET TO IT, DO SOMETHING." while fuzzy bunny Vampire Zombie Whatevers are marching into the city and she's all like "SH!T" and that was the end. So I was like "fuzzy bunny this." and I ate a chicken sandwich, and went home.
Posted Image

#44 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 23 2012 - 07:41 AM

Ohh man!

+Ninja Scroll
+Tenchi Muyo
+that Street Fighter movie that was dubbed with Alice In Chains. You know the one.
Posted Image

#45 GUEST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationThe land of apple pie and toddler pageants.

Posted September 23 2012 - 10:12 AM

Just had to go back and watch through the first episode of Dragon Half so I could find a specific link to use in the "How did you get your username" thread.
Posted Image

#46 Ganelon

Ganelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted September 23 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nearly forgot about Shiki, good anime. A shame they got rid of the original "pacing" and ended up just slaughtering everything, I liked the creepy bits at the start better.

IIntel i7-3820 3.6GHzI8GB DDR3INvidia GeForce GTX 670IAsus AsRock 79 Extreme 3IWestern Digital Caviar Green 1.5TBI

#47 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted September 23 2012 - 06:22 PM

What was wrong with my thread_

Well, since it's dead now I guess I'll chip in here.

SAO recently.
A bunch of other stuff in the past.
PSG remains the best ever.

#48 GirL

GirL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 09:13 AM

Just finished sword art.. so hoping to find some good anime to check out.

listening to this badarse song too btw...  
Posted Image

#49 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted October 17 2012 - 09:22 AM

i'm probably going to start Outlaw Star again love that series!! its old but one of the best! Also some Cowboy bebop!

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

http://www.twitch.tv...eel_brotherhood

Star citizen

https://robertsspace...m/orgs/STARWIND

#50 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 17 2012 - 09:23 AM

Well, I'm not very keen on Anime, but i did love Full Metal Alchemist and Hellsing.
Though most anime is too weird for me.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#51 GirL

GirL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostDER3Z, on October 17 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

i'm probably going to start Outlaw Star again love that series!! its old but one of the best! Also some Cowboy bebop!

lol the oldschool animes. still nice

View PostJuodvarnis, on October 17 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Well, I'm not very keen on Anime, but i did love Full Metal Alchemist and Hellsing.
Though most anime is too weird for me.

yea some is  wierd but u just gotta sweep through those.. theres alot of great stuff out there.. like guilty crown, accel world, sword art online, Another .... idk lol
Posted Image

#52 Ganelon

Ganelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 09:27 AM

Everyone appears to be watching Sword Art Online.... 'sup with that_

IIntel i7-3820 3.6GHzI8GB DDR3INvidia GeForce GTX 670IAsus AsRock 79 Extreme 3IWestern Digital Caviar Green 1.5TBI

#53 Wadelma

Wadelma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted October 17 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't know what this Sword Art Online even is ^^
What are good scifi animes_ Apart from GITS and Evangelions I don't really know any proper one. (Gundam wasn't my thing ^^)

Mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open

Posted Image

#54 Ganelon

Ganelon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 10:21 AM

Code Geass and Death Note.

#55 GirL

GirL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostGanelon, on October 17 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Everyone appears to be watching Sword Art Online.... 'sup with that_

It's because its an anime based off of Video Games and was very well written... I only enjoyed episodes 1-14. Which i think imo should just be the whole series itself.. they continued it from ep 15... but I highly reccomend episodes 1-14 then u can decide to watch after that as I felt completely content with episode 14 as a true ending... 15 and up.. the anime didn't quite appeal to me as elves started appearing and theyre pansies.

Edited by GirL, October 17 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Posted Image

#56 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:30 PM

You could watch Btooom! There's only two episodes out so far, but it's pretty good.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#57 GirL

GirL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostModnarSarhp, on October 17 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

You could watch Btooom! There's only two episodes out so far, but it's pretty good.

Btooom huh_ thanks! I'll check it out
Posted Image

#58 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:27 PM

It's an interesting enough show for keeping the action constant and the stakes high, but it suffers from so much ham-fisted characterization that I couldn't bring myself to continue watching. Characterizing a female solely through the lens of
Spoiler
is an incredibly serious plot device to include in a narrative -- and to the source material's credit, it's a powerful scene. But it's just too bizarre that she's almost certainly going to still be a source of fanservice even after the fact. That's just a conscious decision to shamelessly pander, and I don't appreciate it.

#59 KetchupT100

KetchupT100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationCairo, Egypt

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:44 PM

Bleach!!!!
Posted Image

" Those are brave men knocking on our door. Let's go kill them!! "
         ~Tyrion Lannister

#60 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted October 17 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postlavalamp1138, on October 17 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

It's an interesting enough show for keeping the action constant and the stakes high, but it suffers from so much ham-fisted characterization that I couldn't bring myself to continue watching. Characterizing a female solely through the lens of
Spoiler
is an incredibly serious plot device to include in a narrative -- and to the source material's credit, it's a powerful scene. But it's just too bizarre that she's almost certainly going to still be a source of fanservice even after the fact. That's just a conscious decision to shamelessly pander, and I don't appreciate it.
v.v Fanservice is always going to be a sad fact of anime, although I wish it weren't. I can understand if the genre of anime is more comedy/harem/ecchi, however, I would appreciate it if anime kept fanservice out of my serious/action. Never going to happen, so I try to ignore it.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users