HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Go after the weakest pilot_

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Viable strategy, or not_ (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think it's a viable strategy to chase after the "weakest" pilot_

1. Absolutely, always. It's easier than going after the best guy, after all. (5 votes [8.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

2. Not always. Sometimes his buddies get in the way. (8 votes [13.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

3. No, not really... (12 votes [19.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

4. I shoot what's in front of me, man. Does it look like I care_ (36 votes [59.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:40 PM

Is going after the worst (ie. lowest scoring/lowest MMR) pilot the best solution in TDM_ I noticed stomps tend to be more obvious when it's one or two particular pilots regularly showing up on the kill feed as dead.
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#2 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:44 PM

The way it should work is that you are going after people to lower their health or to take out the guys that are low. Going after the lowest common denominator does very little.

*Edit* Take out the guys with low HP if you can, if not, stay back with your team. Dying trying to get a kill is far worse than dying defending your team from additional deaths. However, if my death nets me 3 kills then so be it. Worth.

Edited by OmegaNull, July 16 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#3 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:18 PM

If you asked me, the "weakest" pilot tends to be the one with no backup. If your team stumbles upon a lone wolf, beat him so hard he turns and runs with his tail between his legs. That being said, you shouldn't go hunting for him. Going alone to fight someone who's alone because being alone is bad, seems like a bad idea. :P

Edited by SatelliteJack, June 06 2014 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#4 Odra

Odra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:30 PM

Weak = low HP_

Absolutely, helps my team focus on bigger fish.

Weak = low score_

Pfft, waste of focus.

"Rock is overpowered; Paper is fine" - Scissors
Keep this in mind whenever people talk about balance and nerfs.
Posted Image

#5 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:54 PM

If you want to win, generally yes. It tends to swing the score more your way every time. Especially K/D wise
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#6 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 07:05 PM

Depends how good the weakest guys' buddies are at aiming.

If I can afford to divide my attention between a group of enemies, I'll go for one of the following:
  • The Closest
  • The Most Immediate Threat
  • The one with the lowest HP
  • The one whom I'm sure I can land my shots against
Every confrontation is a series of subconcious judgements involving balancing these four traits, in rapid sucession.
After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#7 spinele5s

spinele5s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:16 PM

always attack the soft targets, and come to the aid of your teammates.

#8 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:49 PM

If we're talking about TDM it really depends on which team i'm on. If I have weak teammates I usually try to keep the best person on the other team occupied, if there is more than one equally skilled player I usually have to start picking away at their weaker teammates to keep up the kill count.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#9 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:54 PM

If I see a CRT acting like a noob, I will do my best not to engage unless absolutely necessary. I'll also toss out advice, especially if I killed them. Though often that doesn't really help the situation since people are sensitive.

If there's a noob on my team, I will generally try to keep my eye on them and facecheck TOWs and grenades for them, just to keep them in game and learning and hopefully staying with the game.

I don't actually enjoy stomps and generally get into my worst mech if I see one happening. Beyond that and the above though, there's not much that can be done to alleviate a stomp.

#10 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted June 06 2014 - 10:11 PM

I personally prefer focusing on more challenging oppponents.
It's bad for my KDR, but it's alot more fun.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:03 PM

lol was thinking the same thing. In Team DM the most skilled player is the one who will lose the battle or you; taking them out is always my top focus. I also:

1. Shoot anything in front of me
2. Shoot at anything shooting at me
3. Shoot anything that looks like it's about to kill a team mate

I will absolutely *not* just go after the weakest player; they're the ones who need the practice, and frankly are just as entitled to enjoy the game as anyone else. If I have a noticeably weaker player on my team I'll do what I can to support them. Playing the game longer is how you get to be better.

Posted Image

#12 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted June 06 2014 - 11:48 PM

I am surprised by the high number of votes going into "I shoot what's in front of me." ... This strongly supports my assumings that the majority of Hawken's palyers have actually no idea of how to play the game.

Saw that alot in my team (btw, in the enemy team too): Noone actually had an idea of focusing.
Instead of shooting this tech behind the vanguard, they prefare to shoot a turret mode vanguard from the front ... and obviously die.

Additionally, mechs which are able to escape with around 3% of HP are not chased by my team. (Ofcourse C-class is not efficient in that but A and B classes are.) Usually that's my job.

#BetterPlayDM

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#13 Z3roCool007

Z3roCool007

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in you're room.

Posted June 07 2014 - 01:18 AM

i go after them when i get the chance.
Posted Image

Now I know we can never be friends

-EliteShooter

#14 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted June 07 2014 - 02:36 AM

View PostFakeName, on June 06 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

I am surprised by the high number of votes going into "I shoot what's in front of me." ... This strongly supports my assumings that the majority of Hawken's palyers have actually no idea of how to play the game.

Saw that alot in my team (btw, in the enemy team too): Noone actually had an idea of focusing.
Instead of shooting this tech behind the vanguard, they prefare to shoot a turret mode vanguard from the front ... and obviously die.

Additionally, mechs which are able to escape with around 3% of HP are not chased by my team. (Ofcourse C-class is not efficient in that but A and B classes are.) Usually that's my job.

#BetterPlayDM

That's problematic, because it's not the stated purpose of the poll and that's creating a statistical bias. Really it seems to be a joke answer.  People either don't care about the others or do not feel they more accurately reflect their in-game choices. If it were eliminated, I'm pretty sure the No, not really answer would get the rest of the results.

#15 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 02:07 AM

It usually works well to do this in DM's I find. Especially if there are other strong contenders.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#16 Ikuinen_Lynx

Ikuinen_Lynx

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 08:27 AM

For Death match, sure, if he isnt in a group with tougher guys. you'll want to focus on them first. If you meneuver enough ,he wont be able to contribute anyway
Posted Image

#17 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted June 08 2014 - 02:14 PM

When I played I always tended to shoot the nearest target...

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#18 Kvalheim

Kvalheim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 09 2014 - 03:15 AM

I don't exactly think to open the scoreboard to check the rankings when going after a foe in-game. Just go for Techs first if viable, then the lowest health and/or the ones with the most damage potential.
Posted Image

<HKN://Sig-Process-01023 END

#19 reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJHB, SA

Posted June 09 2014 - 06:27 AM

I highly doubt anyone is sad enough to specifically look for and hunt down individuals for easy frag, not that it's particularly easy to do on Hawken either. If an individual acts like a practice dummy: standing still in combat and constantly out of position or overextended, then people WILL shoot at him, and they damn well should so these less combat-savvy players actually LEARN from their mistakes.

There's absolutely no reason to take pity on newbies, deaths in Hawken aren't often instant: they DO actually have the time to think, react and learn exactly what went wrong.

#20 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 09 2014 - 07:13 AM

I don't think you can effectively single out the weaker players to target without getting messed up by the rest of the team just as much. What I've noticed is that if I take a mental note of who I seem to reliably best and I find them off to the side somewhere in a 1v1 situation, I will aggressively attack to get the kill rather than retreat or let them scoot away.

Otherwise I usually just shoot what's in front of me, trying to make it the same thing the rest of my team is shooting at.

Edited by mmm_yep, June 09 2014 - 07:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users