HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Go after the weakest pilot_

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Viable strategy, or not_ (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think it's a viable strategy to chase after the "weakest" pilot_

1. Absolutely, always. It's easier than going after the best guy, after all. (5 votes [8.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

2. Not always. Sometimes his buddies get in the way. (8 votes [13.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

3. No, not really... (12 votes [19.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

4. I shoot what's in front of me, man. Does it look like I care_ (36 votes [59.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 marshrover

marshrover

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:31 AM

This option is not available but I tend to go for the biggest threat if I have a choice but I don't track down certain players.
*Health critical*
*Initiate contingency plan GTFO*
*Blitz active*

#22 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:36 AM

Only times i target specific players in TDM is when a technician shows up, i always target the tech first.

#23 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:00 AM

If I can shoot you, I will. That being said I don't go after weaker players I go after the strong ones first because they tend to hold a team together and after they die their teammates tend to follow suit.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#24 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm not super experienced, but I tend to try to finish off opponents who are weakened from battle.

But one thing that annoys the hell out of me in TDM is that 90% of players don't seem to understand how to work as a team.
They just run off alone expecting to win, and then we end up getting massacred.

#wherearetheteamplayers

#25 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:13 PM

Strategy-wise, to win TDM you need to get kills while denying the other team kills. Both. At the same time. Your first priority should of course be techs. Nuke them off the face of the planet since they're made of glass.

The next thing_ Look for a heavily damaged mech your friends are already shooting. Nuke it from orbit. Focus fire tactics are awesome because for each enemy off the field, not only does your team get a kill, but for a few seconds that's one less gun pointed at you. Numerical superiority is always preferred.

Next_ Well it depends if you're looking to win or looking for a challenge. If you want to win, look for the other team's lowest scorers. They accomplish both goals you're aiming for: they die easier and are less likely to get a kill on you. They're also more likely to panic and get separated from their team under fire, and more likely to YOLO their way in to fights even experienced pilots might melt in.

Valid strategy_ Absolutely. Strategy is all about deceiving opponents and exploiting their weaknesses. Shooting the weakest players most definitely falls within the latter.

Edit: as a side note, in TDM running away when numerically disadvantaged should occur far more frequently than it does in MA/Siege. This is the other reason I like picking out less skilled targets. Since they die faster, it means I can run sooner.

Edited by Mawnkey, July 21 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#26 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 22 2014 - 12:15 AM

Go after the pilots of your own skill level for the most fun fights, I guess.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#27 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted July 22 2014 - 04:58 AM

Posted Image :)

#28 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted July 22 2014 - 12:20 PM

If you ARE the weakest player on the team, try to hang back and pick at opponents instead of getting elbows deep in a firefight. Pay attention to your radar and watch for enemies flanking the bulk of your team. Make sure to stay within shooting range of your team when they move. If they turn and run toward you, stay ahead of them. Don't worry about making sure your kill count is high, just try to contribute a little damage here and there while keeping your death count low.

When I've got a teammate dying constantly that I keep seeing in every firefight, it's incredibly frustrating. They're just handing the other team kills and failing to contribute anything to our kill count. It's basically playing to win for the other team.

Edited by Mawnkey, July 22 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#29 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted July 23 2014 - 12:11 PM

Posted Image

#30 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted July 23 2014 - 01:12 PM

It really depends on the mode. In TDM it's often a good idea to kill the weaker players to get the most kills with the least risk to yourself, but in DM it's almost always the best course of action to shoot the strongest player (or if everyone is of comparable skill, the person with the highest percentage of their max armor left) reasonably close to you if they're distracted with another person. Most people try to finish off the player with the lowest amount of armor, but doing that just means that the better player will have even more armor left when they turn around to fight you.

#31 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 08:48 PM

Going after the most dangerous of players is always the better option. Who would you rather kill first: the guy who WILL kill you or the guy who MIGHT kill you_ TDM or DM, it's the same for both.

In TDM, if you know that you're the weaker player on the team, find one of the better players and stay BEHIND them. Playing wingman to a better player will not only help them by you supporting them, but you can also watch and learn how they play and try to emulate that yourself. That's how I learned to play at the level I do. The most important thing is to watch how they move and learn to help them from behind. Unless you know what you're doing, don't try to lead an engagement.

As for DM, that mode shows no mercy to new guys, and unless you can deal with the possibility of having 9 people hunt you down at the same time, don't play it.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users