HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Art of the Combat Medic: Observations on how to fight in a Technician

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VenomousWoe

VenomousWoe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 02:00 PM

It's been said that curiosity is nature's original school of education. And when it comes to re-purposing a mech clearly designed for support and healing into a more combat-oriented role, I have been deathly curious. And by extension, I feel myself somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. Despite my stats in the Technician being rather modest (.87 KDR and 1.12 Damage Ratio for example), I have won quite a few Deathmatches with a Tech, and can hold my own in pubs. So I guess I'm qualified to talk about it or something. :P

So here are some tips and tricks on how to play the weakest of all mechs like it's the Goddamn Batman. For Science!

Let's start with my preferred build:

Primary Weapon: Hawkins-RPR
Items: Shield Mk. II, EMP Mk. II
Internals: Air Compressor, Deflectors, Basic Reconstructor

My weapon of choice is the Hawkins-RPR. I haven't tested the PN-223 yet, so I'll update this thread when I give it a shot, but the general idea is this: don't use the Redox on a combat build. For one thing, the projectiles lob, which wouldn't be bad by itself, but when you're playing Combat Medic, you're weaving and dodging like a madman, which will cause your accuracy to drop. This effect will be really noticeable with the Redox, so it isn't the best idea. In addition, you also run the risk of hitting yourself with the Redox's rounds when fighting, making your already paper-thin armor even weaker. So yeah, I would advise against the Redox, at least when fighting.

The items should be fairly self-explanatory. The Shields give you some breathing room when fighting tough opponents, allowing you to pop in and out of the protective bubble and preserve your offensive momentum. The EMPs temporarily shut down opponents, giving you the opportunity to DPS while they're vulnerable, or disable them for a quick escape. This is especially useful against C-Mechs, who are the toughest foes for a tech to take down.

The internals were all picked to enhance the tech's combat prowess. Air Compressor gives you more options in movement, adding to your unpredictability and making you harder to hit. Deflectors take advantage of the short cooldown time that A-Mechs have between dodges. The Basic Reconstructor helps speed up repairs during the few times you actually have to use your repair drones, so it's nice to have as well. It could also be swapped out with a Basic Extractor though.

Now, on to the good stuff. Here are some things to keep in mind when fighting as a tech.

-You still have to heal teammates:
What, you thought you could shed your duty as a medic and rambo your way to victory_ Nope, not happening, son. See the thing about being a Combat Medic is, you still have to do the medic part. In fact, you're crazy not to. Not only does having healthy teammates around improve your survival, but you also heal yourself when healing teammates, allowing you to recover from fights. So pony up and start healing; it's for your own good.

-The Amplification ability works in reverse:
You know the tech's ability_ The one that allows you to save your teammates from the brink of death by delivering rapid heals_ Well it works with the Helix Repair Torch's alt mode as well. That's right, Amplification increases Deconstruction Rate, as well as Construction Rate. However, before you go crazy, keep in mind that it only increases the RATE at which the Repair Torch deconstructs, not it's damage output. The rate is expressed as a percentage of the enemy's health; damage would be a flat number. Therefore, you want to use the ability on enemies where an increase in percentage would actually matter, such as enemies with lots of health. Assaults, G2-Assaults, and every C-Mech in existence are prime candidates for a bit of amplification, although with the latter category of foes, you should be extremely cautious. Speaking of which

-C-Mechs are your worst nightmare:
Seriously, avoid fighting C-Mechs on your own as much as you can. They're tough, they're bulky, and they pack powerful weapons. If you must fight a C-Mech, try to EMP it, and have Amplification handy. Otherwise, just run back to your team. If you're in a deathmatch, not much you can do other than fight, but still, it's a situation best avoided.

-The Repair Torch Beam has more range than you think it does:
The Helix Repair Torch is the Tech's bread and butter. It heals teammates, it can slowly DPS foes, and it's boosted by the Tech's ability. However, one thing you should know about it is the beam goes pretty far. It's not gonna lock on to foes across the map, but you can start healing or DPSing from about the closing point between close and mid range. You do not need to get too close to enemies to be effective. There's something to be said for taking pot shots at them.

And that's about it for now. If anyone has any suggestions for my venture into madness and chaos, feel free to chime in.
That is it! I am sick of these fuzzy bunny snakes on this fuzzy bunny plane!

Posted Image

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 23 2014 - 02:50 PM

:ph34r: *adds to mech guide compilation* :ph34r:

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 23 2014 - 02:59 PM

That's some very basic stuff, people don't know basic stuff, it's of use then. Good job. If you could record your gameplay, that could help people ...

Posted Image

#4 VenomousWoe

VenomousWoe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on June 23 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

That's some very basic stuff, people don't know basic stuff, it's of use then. Good job. If you could record your gameplay, that could help people ...

Yeah, that would be good. I certainly have the tools for it. All I really have right now are screenshots of past conquests. :3

Posted Image

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted June 23 2014 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image

#6 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted June 23 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostVenomousWoe, on June 23 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

-C-Mechs are your worst nightmare:
Seriously, avoid fighting C-Mechs on your own as much as you can. They're tough, they're bulky, and they pack powerful weapons. If you must fight a C-Mech, try to EMP it, and have Amplification handy. Otherwise, just run back to your team. If you're in a deathmatch, not much you can do other than fight, but still, it's a situation best avoided.

why would you play a deathmatch as a technician anyways xD
they're combat MEDICS.  no teammates so then what haha.  the lightest of light mechs with a rpr and a secondary that locks on and does about 5 dps :P

Edited by Infyrno, June 23 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#7 VenomousWoe

VenomousWoe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostInfyrno, on June 23 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

why would you play a deathmatch as a technician anyways xD
they're combat MEDICS.  no teammates so then what haha.  the lightest of light mechs with a rpr and a secondary that locks on and does about 5 dps :P

Because I am an absolute madman that revels in doing the most preposterous things, even when they don't make sense. :P

And speaking of Technicians in Deathmatch, I'm at a bit of a quandary. I'm thinking of making my gameplay footage with Combat Tech being either the Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch gamemode. Can't really decide, so I'll let you guys pick.

Posted Image

#8 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostVenomousWoe, on June 23 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

speaking of Technicians in Deathmatch, I'm at a bit of a quandary. I'm thinking of making my gameplay footage with Combat Tech being either the Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch gamemode. Can't really decide, so I'll let you guys pick.
Just do both!

#9 VenomousWoe

VenomousWoe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:09 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 23 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Just do both!

Touche. :P

EDIT: TDM footage is being uploaded to YouTube now, and let me tell ya, you guys are gonna love it.

Edited by VenomousWoe, June 25 2014 - 05:46 AM.

Posted Image

#10 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostVenomousWoe, on June 23 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

View Postmmm_yep, on June 23 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Just do both!

Touche. :P

EDIT: TDM footage is being uploaded to YouTube now, and let me tell ya, you guys are gonna love it.
Soooooo, where is it_ :)

#11 Artist

Artist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 11:22 AM

Probably there:

View PostVenomousWoe, on June 25 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

How many Technicians does it take to ravage the enemy team_ Apparently, only one.

Seriously, this was one of the best games I've ever had, with any mech, let alone a Tech. 13 kills, 0 deaths, and 15 assists of pure TDM carnage. I came, saw, conquered, brought about world peace, and ended hunger on the side. Seriously, this is too good not to share. My only real complaint with my performance was that it felt like quite a few of my kills were only possible with the help of teammates, but hey, it IS TDM after all, and there were quite a few assists I got where a teammate stole my kill, so I guess it balances out.

I thought this was awesome, and I think you will too. Check it out.

#12 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:44 PM

Ze healing leaves little time for za HURTING.

Oh, and about the PN 223, it's my personal favorite to use, however it's not the best to be agressive with. It's smack-dab in the middle of the damage role of the RPR and the support nature of the Redox. Essentially, you trade away some of the RPR's DPS for much higher heat efficiency. RPR is better for playing offensively and the PN is better for playing defensively. I can fire the PN along side using my torch without having to worry as much about my heat levels. In fact, in a duel, while the PN makes them last longer due to it's lower damage output, I'm in far less danger of overheating before I kill my target than if I was using one of the other two weapons.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, June 27 2014 - 10:54 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users