HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Maps for Matches

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted June 24 2014 - 01:01 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse here (though this one is still kicking), but I'd like to talk about the maps and howl for new ones as well as how many are broken.

To start, I've noticed two formats for maps (whether they're latent or manifest, I don't know), inline and web/circular. Inline maps are maps like Origin, Frontlines, Facility, and Last Eco (greatest to least). Web/Circular maps are the others, Bazaar, Prosk, Wreckage, Uptown and Bunker (Last Eco could also fit in this category). You might notice something here, The maps that people like most are inline maps, were as the least liked maps are the web maps.

Why_ Well first of all, the inline maps have a clear directional flow, if you start at one end, you naturally flow to the other (hence inline, the map has a line of flow). This type of design works great for game modes like Siege or TD. Second of all, web maps are chaotic in their path flow: despite how a player wants to make their way the other side of the map in a straight line (relatively), the lopsided manner of the map makes it hard to get the feeling of two sides clashing together (web style maps typically have the AA to one side or the other, not in the general center like in inline maps). This chaos works great for Missile Assault; flanking is difficult when there are only one or two entrances to an area. [SIDENOTE: I omit the Deathmatch game mode because player flow is irrelevant when their are no teams]

Now about Bunker, the circular in the web/circular category, I've read a lot of fuzzy bunny about it, and I get that, but it really is an all around map, literally and figuratively. Everyone knows that when playing Missile Assault in Bunker, you end up generally ignoring the 'bunker' on the hill and the teams just chase each other in circles. In TD and normal Deathmatch mode, the map works great because, for the most part, there is both an inline flow and a web-like chaos. [SIDENOTE: I don't advocate Bunker as a Siege map]

Tired yet_

Anyways, the maps in general are designed with a specific mode in mind (IMO), Origin is the king of Siege, a tie between Frontlines and Bunker for Missile Assault and, well, any map is good for a game of TD or Deathmatch.

But that's the problem, most maps in Hawken are engineered for a certain mode, but also get used for other modes as well, and though I don't blame the devs for conserving resources, I would like to propose an idea: Make maps that fit the game modes.

Now they (devs) don't have to go around making totally new areas, regions and stories, just do what some before have suggested and just make maps that are extensions of the preexisting areas and engineer them for specific modes. (An easy task in the Unreal Engine, especially with the body of assets they must have created by now)

There that's it, I'm done now. Tell me what you think!

TL;DR - Make maps geared for a specific game mode (i.e. Siege Origin, Missile Assault Origin, ect.)

Edited by IronClamp, June 24 2014 - 01:02 PM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 24 2014 - 01:19 PM

What modes do you play_

Posted Image

#3 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostIronClamp, on June 24 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

[SIDENOTE: I don't advocate Bunker as a Siege map]

You should, i played it once in a developpers live stream as a siege map and it was the most fun i ever had on a map playing siege. I wish they would add this map to the siege rotation.

I dunno wich livestream it was (can't find it annymore on twitch) but there was only 1 EU tree located inside the bunker structure and the AA was placed above it wich resulted in some pretty fun gameplay. Both teams were fighting over the AA and EU tree all the time.

#4 Moreapples

Moreapples

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHilversum

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:30 PM

TL;DR - Make maps geared for a specific game mode (i.e. Siege Origin, Missile Assault Origin, ect.)

I like that.
Not sure if ADH can pull it off with their limited budget and low amount of people though.

Posted Image

#5 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on June 24 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

What modes do you play_
I've tried all of them, really for the most part though I play Siege (TD and Missile Assault when I'm really bored)

Edited by IronClamp, June 24 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#6 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostChocksa, on June 24 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

You should, i played it once in a developpers live stream as a siege map and it was the most fun i ever had on a map playing siege. I wish they would add this map to the siege rotation.

I dunno wich livestream it was (can't find it annymore on twitch) but there was only 1 EU tree located inside the bunker structure and the AA was placed above it wich resulted in some pretty fun gameplay. Both teams were fighting over the AA and EU tree all the time.

Interesting, now that I think about it, it might be a pretty good shake up to have a really open Siege map... But of course one has to deal with the community though..,

#7 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on June 24 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

What modes do you play_
TDM and ocasanay seage

#8 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 24 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostChocksa, on June 24 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

I actually got to play siege on bunker as well. In fact I posted that game onto YouTube under the siege guide that I made. Have to say, siege on bunker was actually pretty fun.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#9 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on June 24 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Liked the video, very instructive...

Bunker actually seems to be well engineered for Siege, just can't think of where the EU bases would be....

#10 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:13 PM

View PostIronClamp, on June 26 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Bunker actually seems to be well engineered for Siege, just can't think of where the EU bases would be....
Well, the only one there was literally right under the AA platform in the middle of the map. The only other place I could really see for a second EU station or to move the 1 EU station would be where Silo 2 in missile assault would normally be. But yeah, even though I have an EXTREME dislike of Bunker, I have to say that it was very fun to play siege on it. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it got added to the regular play lists.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, June 26 2014 - 11:17 PM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#11 Vdragon

Vdragon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationWhere you drink red wines, eat long breads, and put a beret on the top of your mech.

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:01 AM

I just would like to point that Prosk is a really big exception to the tendency you citate, but also, i think facility is more of a circular map than wreckage, and uptown is an inline map, except it has two lines (and they are really balised!). That pretty much break the tendency...

#12 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostSoldierHobbes11, on June 26 2014 - 11:13 PM, said:

Well, the only one there was literally right under the AA platform in the middle of the map. The only other place I could really see for a second EU station or to move the 1 EU station would be where Silo 2 in missile assault would normally be. But yeah, even though I have an EXTREME dislike of Bunker, I have to say that it was very fun to play siege on it. Heck, I wouldn't mind if it got added to the regular play lists.

No, the team base, not the EU stations.

#13 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostVdragon, on June 28 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

I just would like to point that Prosk is a really big exception to the tendency you citate, but also, i think facility is more of a circular map than wreckage, and uptown is an inline map, except it has two lines (and they are really balised!). That pretty much break the tendency...

Bunker is the only circular map, all other maps in that category are in the 'web' fashion, "chaotic" with no large scale flow in design, essentially web style maps are arena-like where the players are free to choose any path to reach a particular point.

#14 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostIronClamp, on June 30 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

From the video it looked like the EU delivery base for each team is behind the half-dome  bunkers at the edges of the map.

#15 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted July 10 2014 - 04:40 AM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 30 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostIronClamp, on June 30 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

From the video it looked like the EU delivery base for each team is behind the half-dome  bunkers at the edges of the map.

True

#16 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 11:56 AM

I play tdm and occasulaly seage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users