HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ahoy from Florida

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:33 AM

After seeing all the introduction threads, i just realized that i have yet to introduce myself.

28 yo dude from FL

about 90hours on hawken stats (a drop in the bucket i know)

love mech games (earthsiege, starsiege, mechwarrior 1-4)

My little brother got me playing hawken, and now my wife, brothers, cousin, and misc friends play a few hours every night.

I'm most effective in the raider and g2 assult.
still working on the pred, tech, scout, and berserker.

I'm running a 1ms 1080p asus screen,
i7 CPU @4.0
16GB RAM
256GB SSD
GTX 750 Ti FTW
Mechanical Keyboard
EVGA Toro mouse

Edited by cornshuckerprime, June 26 2014 - 09:37 AM.

it's always been wankershim

#2 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:50 AM

Welcome to introductions, Pilot! ;)

Your avatar is brilliant! :3

Edited by Wi2P, June 26 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#3 VenomousWoe

VenomousWoe

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 09:54 AM

Liek ZOMG I r also from teh Florida!

And is that a computer, or the main server for SkyNet_ Seriously, those specs are awesome. I don't really have a lot of that fancy stuff (OK, I'm lying; I have a Razer Nostromo keypad and a Roccat mouse, among other things), so I'm just that wee bit envious.

Nice to see that the whole family plays too. The more players on Hawken, the better. And it helps that you can game with people you know.

All the best,
Ven.
That is it! I am sick of these fuzzy bunny snakes on this fuzzy bunny plane!

Posted Image

#4 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:41 AM

Welcome to Hawken, both to you and your family! ;)

Thinking about it, I have less than 90hrs playtime... Just biding my time 'til the summer holidays :D

Posted Image

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:47 AM

Catbug would be happy.  Also, those are some serious specs.... o.o  Am jelly. xD

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:42 AM

Mechanical keyboard master race! What switches do you use_

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#7 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 12:34 PM

I am from the panhandle myself. Also you must do some editing or something to have that CPU, and RAM. Cause that looks more like a semi-working desktop than a pure gaming machine.

Also I happen to use my little ol' HP board, I never understood these mechanical keyboards, I also used a ol' hp mouse for the longest time til they little guy died on me...
May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#8 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:32 PM

and here I is still with my fx8350 weeny box, 16gbRam, hd7750, acer flat kb, and $6.99 BigLots mouse.
oh: hadda drop it back to 4.0, cause the MILF was grumpin' about how hot the room got...
:D
Welcome to the forums!

Edited by EM1O, June 26 2014 - 02:36 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#9 PUDDINGTOWN

PUDDINGTOWN

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:38 PM

Nice specs

Edited by PUDDINGTOWN, June 26 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#10 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on June 26 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

I went with the cherry mx browns. I had no preference either way.
They looked like a good choice from the little chart newegg had in the description.
It's so nice having a real keyboard!

View Postdeidarall, on June 26 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I am from the panhandle myself. Also you must do some editing or something to have that CPU, and RAM. Cause that looks more like a semi-working desktop than a pure gaming machine.

Also I happen to use my little ol' HP board, I never understood these mechanical keyboards, I also used a ol' hp mouse for the longest time til they little guy died on me...

Purely play machine. :)

The mechanical keyboard allows me to press more than 3 keys at once. (3 keys is the limit on membrane style keyboards)
6 keys at once when using USB, or unlimited keys when using PS/2.

#11 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the big welcome!

Glad to see some bravest warrior fans lol

Feel free to friend me in game, I need a lot more practice.
(Stupid omega and his #%*! scout) lol

Edited by cornshuckerprime, June 26 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#12 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postcornshuckerprime, on June 26 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on June 26 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

I went with the cherry mx browns. I had no preference either way.
They looked like a good choice from the little chart newegg had in the description.
It's so nice having a real keyboard!

View Postdeidarall, on June 26 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Purely play machine. :)

The mechanical keyboard allows me to press more than 3 keys at once. (3 keys is the limit on membrane style keyboards)
6 keys at once when using USB, or unlimited keys when using PS/2.

Yeah, mechanical boards are wonderful. They're not the cheapest input device, but they're excellent for typing and gaming. When I have to use a membrane board, I find myself unable to get over how chintzy the keys feel.

I thoght about going for browns, but I do a lot of typing so I went with blues. Did you get the CMStorm TK_ Such is one of the cheaper mechanical models sold on Newegg, and such is also the model I use.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#13 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:37 PM

wow, you nailed it!
I got the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid.

#14 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postcornshuckerprime, on June 26 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

wow, you nailed it!
I got the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid.

Ah, yeah, I considered that one too. Went with the TK as it was a bit cheaper and I didn't mind having to hit number lock to gain access to my navigation keys.

Oh, noticed that your GPU is a pretty big bottleneck for your system. If you ever find it too slow, upgrading to a more powerful card (like a 770 or a 780) could give you a considerable performance boost in most games.

Saw that you're learning Pred. If you want help with such, let me know, as I consider myself a pretty decent Pred pilot (I have about 50 hours in the Pred, my Pred KDR sits at about 2, and I often go on 5-7 killstreaks).

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, June 26 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#15 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:51 PM

idk... perhaps I just like the "floatly" feel of my keyboard... then again I have not tried a mech, but I do not yet see a reason to switch, you see my fancy Razor abyss feels just like my ol' Hp to me. I mean I do bet mech keyboards are better built, likely last longer, and perhaps even feel better to some people, but I doubt the end result is different, and it is hard to say I would like it better than my mesh HP..... So I have not purchased one yet... but might once and if my hp board gives it up. (I like the shape and feel of the lower keys than the higher type keys that mech keyboards seem to have.) Also... ummm for games I have never had to press three keys at the same time ~_~ including hawken ~_~

But I do wonder if there is a mechanical keyboard with lower keys like some of the Hp boards... I will have to look.

Also that is one odd gaming machine, 16 gb of ram is an odd choice along with a i7 for gaming... but a fairly weak GPU compared to the amount of ram and CPU. I would have thrown more in the GPU myself, but am interested in the judgement you used for that. (Remember you will often get more frames out of a GPU upgrade, than a CPU upgrade, and 16 Gbs for gaming usually does not give you much unless your using a AMD APU system for gaming.) To be honest compared to the rest of your system the GTX 750 (While being a great card for the price) seems like the odd ball out. Unless your on a really small PSU and are in a very VERY form factor system. I simply wish to inquire about your build cause I like talking about it is all :3.

To put my specs on the page to compare:
I have an AMD FX-8350,
8 gbs of Ripjaw ram.
a nice little 128 gb SSD
and a sapphire Duel x R9 280x GPU.

Edited by deidarall, June 26 2014 - 04:52 PM.

May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#16 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:13 PM

View Postdeidarall, on June 26 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

idk... perhaps I just like the "floatly" feel of my keyboard... then again I have not tried a mech, but I do not yet see a reason to switch, you see my fancy Razor abyss feels just like my ol' Hp to me. I mean I do bet mech keyboards are better built, likely last longer, and perhaps even feel better to some people, but I doubt the end result is different, and it is hard to say I would like it better than my mesh HP..... So I have not purchased one yet... but might once and if my hp board gives it up. (I like the shape and feel of the lower keys than the higher type keys that mech keyboards seem to have.) Also... ummm for games I have never had to press three keys at the same time ~_~ including hawken ~_~

But I do wonder if there is a mechanical keyboard with lower keys like some of the Hp boards... I will have to look.

Your old HP board was fuzzy bunny. You've not tried any better. You need to. Come to the dark side, we have clicky keys and backlights.

#17 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:03 PM

But but but... I hate clickly loud keys ~_~ is there one that feels smooth and floatly withvery smooth and nice keys _:3

Edited by deidarall, June 26 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Posted Image

#18 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:14 PM

View Postdeidarall, on June 26 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

But but but... I hate clickly loud keys ~_~ is there one that feels smooth and floatly withvery smooth and nice keys _:3

Dude, clicky keys are amazing, though to answer your quesion, yes. Those would be Cherry Red keys.

Edit: Reds aren't floaty, but they don't click. You can make them almost completely silent by installing o-rings, which are pretty much little bumpers to make the keys quieter if you push them down all the way, which you don't need to.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, June 26 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#19 cornshuckerprime

cornshuckerprime

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationUS East

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:26 PM

I was curious about the GTX 750 Ti and the new GPU design, so i got one. I liked the low power consumption too.
I play with all the pretties turned off just incase the gpu is holding me back, though it will play smooth with everything maxed.

Half of the RAM was from another system i wasn't using. It was the same brand(Gskill), speed, type, so i stuck it in there.

I have a zalman mid-atx case, and a XFX 800w PSU from a previous build.

The keys on this keyboard are quite loud, but they have a great feel to them.

#20 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:46 PM

I use a xbox360 joypad, lh, the mouse rh. zero fingertangle, i can dance in a circle just by rolling my thumb, jump, boost, and dodge then 180 all just by 2 finger taps & a bump with the thumb. crucially essential simplicity, when about 3/4 hammered with the Sherry!
now, if i could just aim worth a fuzzy bunny with the mouse, i'd be killer awesum!
:)

Edited by EM1O, June 26 2014 - 06:46 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users