HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper Strats...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDirty South ATL

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hawkins-RPR (don't have slug rifle unlocked yet).

Items-Detonator

Internals-Air Compressor, Evasive, basic deflectors.

My playstyle includes almost constant flanking, looking for weak enemies, and engaging from mid range in.  I occasionally take the long distance zoomed snipe but dont actively camp.

As a noob to the game, I'm still figuring out some of the internals and items.  Does anyone have any suggestions or strategies they would share_

I have watched many of the videos and read multiple guides posted on this site.  If there is a link to one concerning internals/items and suggestions people have or even classes of mechs that do well with this or that.  I understand a lot of it is personal preference.  I just figure there is a stathead or 2 lurking that understand how to push a mech.

Be easy.  Cya in game.

#2 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:02 AM

The EMP is a very useful addition in packed team fights, but is fairly difficult to aim if you are not used to grenade-style weapons/items.

Otherwise I think your setup should be fine, but I'll let someone more qualified than I to give proper feedback.

Edited by ScarletThirteen, June 26 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#3 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:12 AM

-EMP does indeed appear legit.  Tossing one of those during teamfights or as part of a corner poke/rush strategy seems like a good idea.  Thanks.

Does the community in general have anything to say about the different levels of equipment.  For example, just get basics when available, or get the 1 use, etc. so you have more variety.  I have a shield, scramber, and hologram on my infiltrator but dont really know that i like the setup.  Scrambler seems situational, when people use it against me i just listen for it and kill it, I assume most people arent tricked.

Im sure a lot of this is redundant for veterans but a lot of the information i was finding on this stuff was based upon old editions of the game.

#4 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:19 AM

When I Reap, I stick with my buddies and let shots fly from midrange, where I'm usually pretty safe from return fire. If I wanna flank I go Pred, though that isn't to say the Reap can't do that.

I run slug rifle, Dets 2 and Holo 1. Not going to list my internals, as my internal setup is pretty weird, and I wouldn't recommend it to others. Such is because the Reap was the first mech I leveled up, and as such I was a noob with access to only basic internals when I set it up.

Edit: As for recommended items, I wouldn't suggest the EMP if you're going as a dedicated marksman, which the Reap is designed for. Maybe such would be a fine internal if you use the RPR, though I can,t say as I rarely do.

I like to have two MK 2 items, though some people prefer three 1s or one 3 and one 1. Just experiment and figure out what you like. Don't worry about wasting HC, as it's pretty important to know what sort of items you like.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, June 26 2014 - 11:23 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#5 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:43 AM

am-sar learn to be good with it and you will love it. Engage at mid to long range.

For internals I run:
advanced reconstructor
advanced armor fusor

This allows you to make the most out of your kills and to keep on killing longer than you would normally. A reconstructor is REALLY noticeable on the reaper as 25 health per second is a huge percentage of your health. I might swap the armor fusor for something else but right now I'm digging it.

For items I run:
Scanner x 3
Shield x 1

Scanner = Wall hacks for whole team in the area (broken! Duh!) and the shield can provide an escape in tight spots.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#6 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostRippleDerpin, on June 26 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Items-Detonator
-great for ambushes or just annihilating the enemy in a 1v1/biggroupofnoobpilots

View PostSkrill, on June 26 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

am-sar learn to be good with it and you will love it. Engage at mid to long range.
+1
Posted Image

#7 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostKOS_Baconman, on June 26 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

View PostRippleDerpin, on June 26 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Items-Detonator
-great for ambushes or just annihilating the enemy in a 1v1/biggroupofnoobpilots

View PostSkrill, on June 26 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

+100 FTFY

Posted Image

You're exactly right.

#8 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted June 26 2014 - 01:11 PM

My loadout:

Primary:
hawkins RPR/ slug rifle

Items:  
Sheild MK II - to be used for getting away, and to put on C's so you can play peek-a-boo with them
Scrambler MK II - suggested for any A mech IMO, is helpful for getting away and for fighting

Internals:
Shock Coil- fall damage is annoying as hell
Basic Deflectors- so is getting hit by a TOW when dodging
Basic Extractor- as is getting killed because you took too long at an orb
Basic Reconstructor- nice to have a bit of health regen if you are running
Armor Fusor- very useful in cqc to have constant health regen

I play it as a skirmisher/ assassin with the RPR and with the slug as an assassin/ multipurpose sniper.
As for tactics to use... flank never stop the flanking... use your teamates as bait and flank, allow your teammates to die and flank, drop a scrambler and run a circle around a chasing enemy and flank 'em... the reaper is a great assassin, and you can do cqc duels with it, and its a great sniper... its a good multi-purpose mech

ps: the slug is great, its horrible to learn it, but once you do its great in any situation (including duels). I had to learn how to play heat scout before I got any good with slug though, its really punishing if you are inaccurate.

TLDR: reaper is great, flank a lot, use it as a skirmisher/ assassin/ sniper

Edited by Frisbee_Player, June 26 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#9 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 01:33 PM

^ too many internals. Pick what you want to do and then build around that strategy. The reaper has a lot of potential to have a global map presence. Which means you will be re-positioning a ton. An advanced reconstructor and another advanced internal is the way I see it played. This is because every time  you re-position you can use that out of combat time to regen 25hp a second :o.

Scrambler fools no one when you are trying to escape. Just look for the fast moving dot traveling in a straight line. Scanner gives you and your whole team radar on any opponent in its AOE. This can sometimes feel like you have wall hacks and has gotten me accused of hacking on more than one occasion. Its not broken at all though :ph34r:
Posted Image

You're exactly right.

#10 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 01:41 PM

Awesome. Thanks for all the tips folks.

Frisbee i feel like i play the Reaper more similar to how you do than some of the previous information above.  I also find it to excel in the areas you described.  Its a vary good, all around mech.  I don't consider landing shots to be tremendously difficult in this game.  I quickly switched my infiltrator over to the HC as soon as I could.  I feel decent with that at this point, and whether its the Reaper or the dynamics of the game I appear to have good aim, or the game is generous.  The RPR seems to make any of the other A classes think twice.  Against all other mechs i feel like the Reaper excels in mid to close with this weapon especially.  I find that a lot of people due to the nature of their secondary weapon are constantly attempting to lead me,  which is a guessing game, where as im just shooting them in the face.  It gives the Reaper some definate dueling capability.  Once i figured out that you could juke in each direction on a seperate timer this has proven to be true more often than not.

I am currently running with the AC, Evasive, basic deflector.  I keep all my mechs on the ground as much as possible unless elevating for a pop shot or kill.  Being able to juke in midair is nice for relocating quickly. The evasive device imo give the Reaper some nice lasting power in the pocket.  I have actually found I am less worried about engaging targets at less than full health.

Havn't really decided on favorite items yet.  I was reading some threads and did pick up the barrier to go alongside the freebie detonator.  The detonator is alright, bit of burst to push someone off in  a close fight, make room for retreat, or just fire and forget at the enemy cluster.  I am not sold on it however.  The barrier i use situationally, trapping opponents or making an escape, fight reset.  I find it to be very useful on the more closed maps.  Trapping a scout in a room he thought he was gonna jump right out of is usually a mistake they cant recover from.

The deployable rocket and machine gun look cool but seem underwhelming to me.  I have taken a rocket to the face a couple times and it hurts, but they are easily destroyed.  I don't see many deployed in the midst of a fight however, usually at chokepoints.

Games a lot of fun, i could write more, but ill end the rant for mercies' sake.

edit-was writing as you posted i guess Skrill.  The scanner seems to have definite possibilities.  Ill have to try it out.  I appreciate the info on the jammer.  I suspected as much.  If its not fooling a noob its not going to help as I rank up.  The only thing im not sold on is that I will be out of combat for more than 10 seconds often.  That seems like a long time,

Edited by RippleDerpin, June 26 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#11 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:23 PM

The scrambler is more of a psychological weapon than anything else, you can usually see through it, but you have to stare at it for a couple seconds to effectilvey do that, which is usually enough time to get a couple hits in with your weapons, when I play I usually quickly glance at my radar, so the scrambler does work for that..

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:49 PM

RPR Hawkins for everything but Siege, then Slugger. DPS for them and the am-sar are all about the same, so it's really style or preference, as to what shoots bestest, or just fire up the SS :)
Items: emp MK 1, det MK2 good for busting up Deathballs in any map, any type of match. It's not a Good Thing for a Reaper to hang around turrets all day, or try to keep track of how close his scanner is.  Shield is good, too, for some.
Internals:  2/fusor  2/surger  2/evasive  You're in a reaper--move fast, moving faster is better, fusor is your optional, but works for me. some like using replenisher instead. if you get the HC, buy a 3 or 4 slot Repair kit, and pop it in for sucking up EU faster when you're in the mood for Siege matches!
YMMV

Edited by EM1O, June 26 2014 - 03:05 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#13 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostEM1O, on June 26 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

RPR Hawkins for everything but Siege
I was just recently in a Siege game with you and your pesky Reaper! Could have sworn you had the RPR.

Edited by mmm_yep, June 26 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#14 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted June 26 2014 - 02:54 PM

My suggestions for Ripper (Reaper):

1) Fiddle with the weapons till you find the right one.
2) Keep the Detonator (it changes the mentality of an attacker really fast when they take it to the face) - EMP or ISM are good too (these are items I consider for running away/ambushing)
3) Either use or don't use the ability, and I mean either rely on it or don't, if it doesn't benefit you (or you don't know how it benefits you) then don't use it, it's a waste of key strokes. [EDIT: The ability's greatest benefit is gained when using RPR while scoping; did some nasty things with that.]
4) I focus on health with my internals, mostly regeneration, though anything to keep you afloat works.

Edited by IronClamp, July 03 2014 - 10:41 AM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#15 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:04 PM

Some awesome tips peeps I appreciate your time.  IronClamp, a naga mouse makes my keystrokes go away, i do use the ability when i feel its needed.  I dont tend to burn it at first sign of danger, more in 1v1s where my opponent has exceptional movement or 1v2+ if I'm mopping up or just feel I can outplay my opponents.

One thing im slightly confused about is this reference to the META and the Air Compressor in other sections of the forum.  It's my understanding that flying is bad, but movement is good.  So used correctly the AC is really extra movement.  I would like to condition myself to play more at what is expected at higher MMR if that makes sense.

So with that being said, the Air Compressor..is it worth the 3 slots_  To a new player it seems super useful, i don't fly just use it to juke, or escape as my betters have taught me.

I will give this a shot..2/fusor  2/surger  2/evasive ..then work on items for awhile and see what combo i likem.

Thanks again peeps for all the imput.

#16 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 04:56 PM

I've never used the air compressor on any of my mechs... I think that flying is not something you should be doing often if you are not in a berk or a rocketeer... usually my tactic is to bunny hop instead of flying... also the AC takes up half your slots, and I feel like you can do more productive things with that space.

Edited by Frisbee_Player, June 26 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#17 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:18 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 26 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

View PostEM1O, on June 26 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

RPR Hawkins for everything but Siege
I was just recently in a Siege game with you and your pesky Reaper! Could have sworn you had the RPR.
yes, i did. i started out with my Fred-Headed Bruiser, but jumped into the Reaper and kept forgetting to shift to slugger. the vertigo i was getting from the 13 to 40something fps was f*cking with me bad... i also kept forgetting to reset the video to medium (was on High) to kill the Last Eco-itis. i had a single focus: Kill BazookaGofer. i got pwned so bad, that match :D
and then i just carried on into the next match. not one of my better nights.

Edited by EM1O, June 26 2014 - 06:32 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#18 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostIronClamp, on June 26 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

3) Either use or don't use the ability, and I mean either rely on it or don't, if it doesn't benefit you (or you don't know how it benefits you) then don't use it, it's a waste of key strokes.
The minimal amount of Oomph the scope gives you is not nearly as invaluable as the simple function of being scoped: the precision of your fire (read: odds of a lethal combo of hits) is better, simply because you are Scoped In--you see better, you aim better. Just don't get hung up in it and forget you're in a battle!   ;)

Edited by EM1O, June 26 2014 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

#19 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yeah i saw some real good play today.  Made me eat a big flat slice of humble pie.  Scouts, I dislike you..I think i got a bump up in competition come prime time.  Was in a match with Skrill and there was a scout on the opposite team that just had my number. I guess he liked the cut of my gib but it was probably the most frustrating match I have been in.

#20 SkyeBeats

SkyeBeats

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostRippleDerpin, on June 26 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

One thing im slightly confused about is this reference to the META and the Air Compressor in other sections of the forum.  It's my understanding that flying is bad, but movement is good.

Flying isn't necessarily bad, it really depends on the situation. Regarding your comment on Air Compressors, you are correct. It does add another dimension of movement and unpredictability. Imho it is currently a staple in all A class builds since A's are as fragile as paper and need as many movement options as possible to not get hit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users