HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper Strats...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostEM1O, on June 26 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostIronClamp, on June 26 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

the ability
The minimal amount of Oomph the scope gives you is not nearly as invaluable as the simple function of being scoped: the precision of your fire (read: odds of a lethal combo of hits) is better, simply because you are Scoped In--you see better, you aim better.

I think he's talking about the "Precision Overdrive" ability, which is completely different from scoping/zooming.

That said, zooming gives your secondary weapon (the KE Sabot) +25% more damage and drastically improves its accuracy.

#22 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:12 PM

Reaper Build I use:

Slug Rifle
Det mk3
RC mk1

Internals:
fuel converter mk2
failsafe mk1
air compressor

Use ability for close range combat utilizing air compressor for quick on the spot double dodges allowing you to figuratively dance around nemies. Otherwise stick to mid range and don't miss :D
Posted Image

#23 hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 07:53 PM

Items:
EMP MK-I
Portable Scanner MK-I
MG Turret MK-I

Internals:
Deflectors
Basic Reconstructor
Air Compressor (before I switched to that: Shock Coil, Extractor, Basic Fuel Converter)

I mostly run with slug rifle and since I switched to that, I constantly forget to use the ability that feels even more worthless now.

#24 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Posthellc9943, on June 27 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I mostly run with slug rifle and since I switched to that, I constantly forget to use the ability that feels even more worthless now.
Same here. I can see the utility with the RPR because it was terribly inaccurate past mid range. I find myself just using it so I feel like I'm doing something special.

Edited by mmm_yep, June 27 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#25 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDirty South ATL

Posted June 28 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the info and setup guys.  I ended up going with the Air Compressor, Evasive, and basic deflectors.  I tried several other combinations, such as the 2/2/2 listed previous.  I have had the best luck with the above internals however.  Getting close to the the slug rifle.  I see a lot of higher level reapers using that so im looking forward to trying it out.

The scanner and repair charges seem to work well for me also.  Still getting the hang of tossing that EMP, etc.

Edited by RippleDerpin, June 28 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#26 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 28 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostTerr_, on June 27 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

zooming gives your secondary weapon (the KE Sabot) +25% more damage and drastically improves its accuracy.
According to the Salty Stats document, it's a 20% damage difference between scoped (75) and unscoped (60) on the KE Sabot. The regular Sabot also has a 20% reduction in damage when not scoped.

The slug rifle on the other hand does 95% of regular damage when not scoped; which ends up at only 3 damage difference.

Edited by mmm_yep, June 28 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#27 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 28 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 27 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Posthellc9943, on June 27 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Same here. I can see the utility with the RPR because it was terribly inaccurate past mid range. I find myself just using it so I feel like I'm doing something special.
The ability on a slug reaper is better used when unscoped in a panic cqc situation, that way you won't have to gamble on your KE sabot hitting your target or not. An unscoped slug rifle still has good accuracy, but an unscoped KE is not reliable.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#28 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 28 2014 - 05:33 PM

i'm getting to the point where the only time i scope is "across the map", and tend to do a whole match without remembering Precision Overdrive. with the kill boost and evasive boost it's almost like Scout with a HEAT cannon, but with ranged punch and a scope for accuracy.
With the RPR, it's a contender for cqc on Eco AA and running down side-alleys, with the rifle it's murder on Origin.
Now if I could get fairly good with SS...whew!
:)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#29 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 10:31 AM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 28 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

zooming gives your secondary weapon (the KE Sabot) +25% more damage and drastically improves its accuracy.
According to the Salty Stats document, it's a 20% damage difference between scoped (75) and unscoped (60) on the KE Sabot.

No, you're making a common math-wording mistake. The percentage-change is not a single value, it always depends what "direction" you're going.
  • 60 -> 75 is a multiplier of 1.25x, or a 25% increase.
  • 75 -> 60 is a multiplier of 0.80x, or a 20% decrease.
When you say "a 20% damage difference", you simply aren't being specific enough.

I stand by my original statement, which clearly uses regular unzoomed shots as the basis for comparison.

Edited by Terr_, June 30 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#30 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 30 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostTerr_, on June 30 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

View Postmmm_yep, on June 28 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

According to the Salty Stats document, it's a 20% damage difference between scoped (75) and unscoped (60) on the KE Sabot.

You're making a common math-wording mistake. There is no single "difference", the percentage you write depends what "direction" you're going.
  • Going from 60 to 75 is a multiplier of 1.25x, or a 25% increase.
  • Going from 75 to 60 is a multiplier of 0.80x, or a 20% decrease.
I stand by my original statement. Compared to normal, unzoomed shots (60 dmg) zooming provides 25% more damage (+15 dmg) compared to what you would had before.
I see your point. Thanks for clarifying.

#31 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:05 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 30 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

....[Stats bickering]....

You people care about that kind of thing_ I mean really, all anyone needs to know is scoping increases accuracy and damage, and not even that. Numbers for that is a little ridiculous...

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#32 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostIronClamp, on June 30 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

View Postmmm_yep, on June 30 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

....[Stats bickering]....

You people care about that kind of thing_ I mean really, all anyone needs to know is scoping increases accuracy and damage, and not even that. Numbers for that is a little ridiculous...
Haha, to each their own. I like to know if it's actually worth the effort to scope and shoot rather than just shooting "from the hip".

#33 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted June 30 2014 - 03:11 PM

I use this loadout for all of my A-classes and most of my B-classes and haven't really found anything decisively better (that doesn't use Scanner):

Posted Image

Evasive Device is honestly pretty useless since it's trivial to hit someone running, regardless of whether or not they have a mild speed boost. You can swap Shield for Scanner/EMP/Scrambler/maybe ISM, but the rest of the items just aren't worth the slot. As far as I know, the majority of people playing at the level you want to play at use a build identical to or very similar to this on their A-classes.

#34 RippleDerpin

RippleDerpin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDirty South ATL

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:58 PM

Thanks man.  I appreciate the info.  I'll give that loadout a shot as well.  The evasive device is somewhat hard to quantify for me.  Am I making the jukes I need to make or the escapes I need because of it or has my map awareness, movement, and mech awareness improved.  Guess it's easy to test.. :D

#35 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted July 02 2014 - 05:34 AM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 27 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

[ I find myself just using it so I feel like I'm doing something special.

Best reason ever for anything.
That's my very same attraction to rpr hawkins, as well as on the tech and its swaggier version on the brawler and sharpie.
In fact it's the feeling of doing someting that feels special that has me enamored with the rev gl.

Posted Image

#36 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 10:39 AM

View Postcraftydus, on July 02 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Look who's back...

#37 FirstRaven

FirstRaven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of an A Class mecha- behind you.

Posted July 06 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostRippleDerpin, on June 26 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

" I have a shield, scramber, and hologram on my infiltrator but dont really know that i like the setup."

Hologram on an inf_ What happens when you go invisible_

Most aren't fooled by scramblers- they are only useful for an ambush, as in, you are waiting for them to come in.

For my Reapers and Scouts, I use either a (2x) Det and a (2x) EMP, or (1x) Det (1x) EMP and a small repair kit.
The small repair kit can be as dangerous as it is useful; nothing like rippin' someone to shreds and they end up drawing from your repair kit, or even worse, pointing and launching the repair kit right at your enemy.

On my Tech, I use a (2x) Det, and a (2x) shield, or (1x) Det (1x) EMP and (1x) wall.

Now, when you take the training wheels off, you'll replace the evasive with an Air 180 and a basic regenerator (or what ever it's called);
then you can move, kill and heal all at the same time. When someone comes at you in your Class A, charge them, jump on their heads, boost up and do an air 180 and shoot them (usually in the back, where the turreted C classes are weaker). You can get them ground down to nothing, especially if you repeat- just tap dance off of their heads while shooting them.

Don't know if you have relocated your 180 spin key (to something other than "shift+s"), though that can be VERY helpful.

#38 stinkinglamb44

stinkinglamb44

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe killcam

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:16 PM

View PostRippleDerpin, on June 26 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Hawkins-RPR (don't have slug rifle unlocked yet).

Items-Detonator

Internals-Air Compressor, Evasive, basic deflectors.

My playstyle includes almost constant flanking, looking for weak enemies, and engaging from mid range in.  I occasionally take the long distance zoomed snipe but dont actively camp.

As a noob to the game, I'm still figuring out some of the internals and items.  Does anyone have any suggestions or strategies they would share_

I have watched many of the videos and read multiple guides posted on this site.  If there is a link to one concerning internals/items and suggestions people have or even classes of mechs that do well with this or that.  I understand a lot of it is personal preference.  I just figure there is a stathead or 2 lurking that understand how to push a mech.

Be easy.  Cya in game.

Generally, the reaper doesn't win close quarters combat except against turreted vanguards or techs and such. When I use my Reaper, I make sure 24/7 that my team is between me and the enemy. Behind your team, you can output constant suppression fire and get some good assists and the occasional kill.
I'm winning.

#39 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 02:14 PM

Then the enemy team learns and uses your buddies as shields till your the last one standing between them and glory (I had that happen, it scared the fuzzy bunny out of me when I realized that all the bastards where aiming for just and only me).

The other scenario is that your team gets their fat asses in the way, which doesn't help you do anything but get killed. ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users