HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hi my name is source_mystic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted July 07 2014 - 07:20 AM

Untill recently I was playing a fast paced shooter that will remain nameless. I played suppot love the support class in most games I have been looking at mechs and the intercepter and technician look like my style. My question is how viable are they to new players. Just want the veteran oppinion. I 'll be spending some hours in the ssimulator to get the basics down so you may not see me in in game for a couple of days.

#2 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted July 07 2014 - 09:03 AM

Welcome aboard, Pilot! Always glad to see a fresh face around. :D As for your question, the Incinerator (which is what I assume you're talking about) can be a little finicky, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of. Just keep spammin' right click, and everything should be okay. As for the Tech, one thing you must keep in mind, is that you are strictly for support. Until you get the RPR, you are all but dead if you get in a fight by yourself. Just stick with the team, and you should be alright. Good luck, have fun, and catch you on the battlefield!

Edited by SatelliteJack, July 07 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#3 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted July 07 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hi there! Welcome to Hawken :D

The Technician is very good (and cheaper than other support mechs) when used effectively; this can be your undoing in higher MMR games as it makes you No.1 on people's kill lists. Incinerator is stupidly effective in the right hands, and it uses it's and everyone else's heat generation to fire it's quite nasty secondary weapon; this mean that you can continuously throw out dps without worrying too much about overheating. It also buffs mechs in proximity by lowering heat generation; but this works for enemy mechs who are close too

Also might be worth looking into the Rocketeer if you like the support class. I've seen some of those used very effectively...

Posted Image

#4 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted July 07 2014 - 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forums, Pilot! I hope the info above from fellow informative pilots is helpful! I'm afraid I'm personally inadequate to add. ;)

Enjoy your stay!

#5 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted July 07 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostWi2P, on July 07 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

Welcome to the forums, Pilot! I hope the info above from fellow informative pilots is helpful! I'm afraid I'm personally inadequate to add. ;)

Enjoy your stay!

Says the "Ace" Technician pilot. ;D

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 07 2014 - 11:29 AM

Just caught that: 'intercepter'. Infiltrator, maybe_ Penetrator_ Reaper is light weight, moderate powered nephew of the Sharpshooter sniper, possesses characteristics blended from most of the A-Class mechs, with an incredibly dirt cheap price. If you enjoy lightening fast, deadly, along with the risk of fast death for inattentiveness, Scout! Unfortunately, along with the Penetrator, Infiltrator, and Incinerator, Scout sits in the incredibly stupid high-price HC bracket.
When you can click into it, go to Play, and Select Co-op Match, then Co-op Team Deathmatch. You will be set with other human players on a 6 man/AI team, and combat against 6 AI opponents. This match format gains you practice Hawken Credits good toward mech/weapon/item/internal purchase, and does NOT affect your MMR scoring (good or bad ;) ).
So fight away, get HC, and don't worry if you're terrible at first. It won't hurt you any. Just remember to go back to regular TDM etc match servers when you feel capable!
Welcome Aboard!

edit: not sure about the ranking up--haven't been paying attention to that lately...:)

Edited by EM1O, July 07 2014 - 05:12 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted July 07 2014 - 03:52 PM

welcome aboard, pilot!

as far as role-specific mechs go, I would recommend that you stick with the CRT recruit for a while.  Even though it's listed as an all-purpose mech, well suited for mastering the basics:  close-quarters combat, ranged engagement, effective use of secondary weapons - nailing the TOW is a must - as well as rudimentary tactics, such as flanking/pressing, item deployment and even when to repair.

this will also give you time to watch how the other, more specialized mechs are played - I personally enjoy the infiltrator very much, second only to the technician. both are effective for flanking and holding enemy lines, with the infiltrator being more offensive, and the tech being more defensive.

crash and burn!

Posted Image

"Sometimes, You just gotta die... just to get your items back." - Mogote

#8 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted July 07 2014 - 03:54 PM

Whalecome!  Mind your step when you meet any of the big shots round here in game. :D  Make sure to practice and have fun!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, July 07 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#9 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 07 2014 - 05:15 PM

hey shell-jinks: if he's good enough to run into the big shots right away, he could be scary good by the time he does "get the basics down"  :D

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted July 07 2014 - 09:53 PM

Welcome to HAWKEN, pilot!

And go Technician! :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:25 PM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean... FELLOW PILOT!!!!

Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to Hawken. If you ever need help, don't hesitate to click my sig. I've got quite a few videos up that should help new players get used to the game. I'm adding more so be sure to check it out.

As for the support mechs, if you've ever played TF2 as a medic, it's very similar. Even if you haven't, the tech isn't too hard to pilot. The incinerator isn't too hard either, but most of the skill with that mech comes from tactics and positioning more than pilot finesse. Incinerator = Spam-o-tron 9001
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users