HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Real Siege Veterans shoot the BATTLESHIP !!!!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 14 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'm not the first player to make a post about Shooting the Ship but for the NEWBIES out there and some who have played more than a few Siege games. You guys need a Reminder! When your Top Score player says: Team all shoot the Ship NOW.  You should listen!

Shooting the ship makes sense when the ship has traveled half way across the map and your team can not take the AA especially if your team is a MAN down.  This happens quite often and so many players want to argue about the merits of shooting the ship instead of taking the AA.  To those players I say this.  Can't you see that we are a man down and taking the AA is not going to happen_

In the time it takes to fight for control of the AA and for the counter to roll and actually launch a missile at the ship your team could have shot it down quicker. (Plenty of times the ship is at one bar of health and instead of shooting it the team throws themselves at the AA one at a time to their deaths)

The best you can hope for is shooting it as a Team and bring it down fast to buy time for another player to join.  Hopefully the new player joins and you regroup and go at it with balanced number of players.

The main reason to shoot the ship is that it buys you TIME.

Players are constantly dropping off and new players joining.  So many games are won or lost as a directly result of that new player joining.

I'm sure if you did a search you will find plenty more post that tell you when to and when not to shoot the ship, but when you are in a game and a player says shoot the ship.

If you are in the above situation then Listen and don't argue.

SHOOT THE SHIP!!!!!

Update:  If you are NEW and do not fully understand how to win Siege games, than Don't sit back and think you can shoot the ship while your team is going at the AA.

Follow the lead of the team and if its announced to shoot the ship then do it otherwise your are not helping your team out.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 14 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#2 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 14 2014 - 08:38 AM

Knock out the turrets then get EU, enemies at AA may be clueless their ship is emasculated. Your base will take care of the rest of the ship and buy you time to launch. Personnal preference, I guess, unless you need to get the ship-kill XP.
But only in the case(s) above.

edit: depends on Health Bars elsewhere (engines, HP) of course. just my tuppence. :)

Edited by EM1O, July 14 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted July 14 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostEM1O, on July 14 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Knock out the turrets then get EU, enemies at AA may be clueless their ship is emasculated.

No, don't shoot the turrets. They don't hurt the mechs, so don't bother. And yea, burns is right, people annoy me a lot in siege lately, that's why it ain't my fav mode in pub games.

Posted Image

#4 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:05 AM

The main problem here is getting a random group of people to work together as a team at a moment's notice.

But yes, I agree that if the team can act together, shooting the ship is a viable fall-back strategy if taking the AA isn't going to happen.

Edited by mmm_yep, July 14 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#5 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:10 AM

I wish we could still use team focus points.  Noobs followed those like flies to rotting meat bees to honey.

#6 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on July 14 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostEM1O, on July 14 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Knock out the turrets then get EU, enemies at AA may be clueless their ship is emasculated.

No, don't shoot the turrets. They don't hurt the mechs, so don't bother. And yea, burns is right, people annoy me a lot in siege lately, that's why it ain't my fav mode in pub games.
No, but each turret does one extra damage per second on your base, and the ship itself is only doing 6 a second. Depending on how much health the ship has left, it's a good idea to shoot them.
Posted Image

#7 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:17 AM

Sometimes Player listen to kind words (i know, there is no time for it in a game), but sometimes they won't even read what you wrote.

Same thing with launching the teams ship with enemy ship abouve and enemy on the aa. The only thing can prevent from that happen is a very good tutorial in the game, you have to play and make it right, before you can even thought about joing siege or Missle Assault.

I would also prefer something like a commander ode, where 1 player giving some orders like go for eu, bringt it back to the base, we have enough. So if someone can see the map with all players clearly with some infos on the HUD (EU from all player or something like that), could be nice. You can make marks on the map, where players can see, where to go with a timer, so all can attack together from 2 or 3 sides to make attacks effectiv.

Most of the times you know, where the enemy is coming from, the enemy should know that, but do always the same thing either, mostly...Somehow very strange.

And THX for the games, dont know if ou can remember me, dont play often on US East, only if we have no more player left on europe, but you are strong, but only this dosn't make the player listen too you :) You must have a fairly high mmr, so mostly paired with strong player, but it seems we got the same problems to get mixed with Veteran/Beginner. So sometimes problems like this would happen.

And i thingk most of the players won't read this, the only thing can help is to teach that ingame by the devs from the beginning and you have to repeat it 2-3 times..

Kind Regards,

Galaxy Radio

#8 ROSING

ROSING

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:40 AM

Often times you have to read the situation and make a decision on whether to charge or shoot the ship. But yes, definitely there are times where shooting the ship is better off than getting killed needlessly and waiting 5 seconds on respawn.

The amount of situational awareness and decision making needed for siege really wants me to see a game played by two clans scrimming one another at equal levels.

Posted Image

#9 Artist

Artist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on July 14 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

You should kill the turrets. They die really fast and that reduces the damage the base receives from 8 to 6/s, worth the 15 secs it takes to remove them.

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:45 AM

yup. in pub Siege games, it's alway a comfort to see familiar names pop up. when i arrive with a Scout, Reaper, or Grenadier, and my team roster has 4 "Thermometer" icons and a "Fist", I groan and prepare for the worst.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:52 AM

The funniest thing about siege strategy, is for every time someone says "ALWAYS do this" or "NEVER do this" there is an exception to the rule based on exactly what the circumstances are.

#12 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted July 14 2014 - 10:59 AM

I find a couple of incinerators can do more or less the same job as the AA in a pinch...

How to play siege properly:

1. Win
2. Don't lose

Posted Image

#13 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 11:11 AM

Nothing Burns more than to think that you just won the game with a margin of 300 base HP as your ship is sailing towards the enemy base, just to have the enemy TEAM shoot your ship down with only 20 or 30 HP left on their base then their ship launches and GAME OVER.  You lose.

Now if that doesn't convince you that shooting the ship as a TEAM works when you cant take the AA then, I don't know what will.

I've been on the losing end of that game many times with team mates who spout: "Its stupid to shoot the ship...Take the AA....."

They actually think they know how to play Siege, but it just tells me that they haven't played enough games to experience what strategies work and when to apply them.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 14 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#14 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:20 PM

I don't think the problem is noobs necessarily. I've played 3 seige games - won the first 2 because I DID WHAT I WAS TOLD TO DO !! :)

But the other one we lost because a pair of vets decided to argue about what was best while the rest of us microwaves got done in by the other team! :P

So its clearly you guys who are to blame ... ;)

#15 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:30 PM

Or, they weren't really vets...
Posted Image

#16 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on July 14 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yeah - I'd figured that ...

Was more trying to point out in a vaguely humourous fashion that its kinda hard to learn what IS & IS NOT the best thing to do when some - 'experienced' - players are just as bad as the TV sets yelling "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO F$&@&!# PLAY!!" on the team chat.

#17 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostMalazanSapper, on July 14 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on July 14 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yeah - I'd figured that ...

Was more trying to point out in a vaguely humourous fashion that its kinda hard to learn what IS & IS NOT the best thing to do when some - 'experienced' - players are just as bad as the TV sets yelling "DON'T TELL ME HOW TO F$&@&!# PLAY!!" on the team chat.

It happens all the time in-game, but your in a classroom setting here and we are giving you text book how to win.

Pay attention.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 14 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#18 MalazanSapper

MalazanSapper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 02:09 PM

No worries - I'm taking notes cap'n! Though I may forget all your words of wisdom when I get jumped by gangs of scouts ... which seems to happen a lot ...

#19 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted July 18 2014 - 11:41 AM

The AA does 280dps to the ship when you have 3 or more guys on it. If your team has an Incinerator and/or is projectile heavy (those have no falloff) then it's not a bad idea to shoot the ship if it's knocking on your base door.

#20 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted July 18 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostKopra, on July 18 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

The AA does 280dps to the ship when you have 3 or more guys on it. If your team has an Incinerator and/or is projectile heavy (those have no falloff) then it's not a bad idea to shoot the ship if it's knocking on your base door.
It is actually faster to take it down with an Incinerator, if I remember correctly.
I`ll fix it later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users