HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Raider's Corsair KLA weapon ever get Air Burst_

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:17 AM

I did a quick search but couldn't find any post about the Corsair KLA and discussions about it ever getting Air Burst.  I'm sure there are discussion about it but I'll ask here.

Will the Raider's Corsair KLA weapon ever get Air Burst_

With the current SLOW rate of fire, why not give it Air Burst ability.

Its not a spam gun like you seen on the incinerator's SAARE Launcher, so why not_

#2 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:25 AM

No, to compensate that kla has huge splash, and i mean huge, plus you have mirv, the highest burst secondary.

#3 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:30 AM

Huge Splash_ How does that equate to Compensation_  Splash means nothing if the missile flies past them.  Air Burst would help equalize for mechs that use Air Compressor.

And you can switch to the Mirv_ Big deal its just a Raider with two shotguns.

Tows and Nades have Air Burst.  I believe the KLA should have it too.

#4 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:38 AM

technically the secondary mode is an airburst mode, you just don't get to activate the airburst itself. the KLA's main mode has a large splash radius meaning even if you miss you can still plan for a shot to land near enemies and do pretty decent damage. also the KLA in mirv mode is the strongest secondary weapon in the game. it really doesnt need another advantage.
Posted Image

#5 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:48 AM

I will have to disagree with you. Seems like you side stepped the part where I described the mechs that take to the air and your KLA flies past them.  Where is the splash damage_

Mirv mode is an advantage_ What about the disadvantage of having to wait for the mode to switch over_ Engagements also occur often outside of the range of Mirv damage.

Oh and KLA in Mirv mode is a shotgun not the projectile so how does Air Burst for KLA give one more advantage to Mirv mode_

If giving it Air burst is TOO much of an advantage then reduce its splash radius.  Plenty of ways to make everyone happy.

Lets keep an open mind here.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 15 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#6 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:48 AM

What do you mean_ Detonate the mirv in midair_ If yes, i was wondering, why this isn't in game. If a Berserker caught a raider in open field, his secondary shot missed the target, he is dead for sure.

Kind Regards,
Galaxy

Edited by GalaxyRadio, July 15 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#7 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostGalaxyRadio, on July 15 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

What do you mean_ Detonate the mirv in midair_ If yes, i was wondering, why this isn't in game. If a Berserker caught a raider in open field, his secondary shot missed the target, he is dead for sure.

Kind Regards,
Galaxy

I will break it down for those that do not know:

Raider Corsair KLA has two modes:
First mode is a projectile (Missile, but looks like a ball of fire)  You Cannot detonate it in mid air like you can a Tow or a Grenade)

Second mode is the MIRV: Basically a shotgun spread.

I am asking the Devs to give the First mode the ability to Air Burst the projectile just like you can the TOW or the Grenade.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 15 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#8 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:56 AM

Just switch to mirv for airborne targets. Works a treat.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#9 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostDaPheel, on July 15 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Just switch to mirv for airborne targets. Works a treat.

Sounds good, but in practice too often you will find that the Mirv range is lacking.

#10 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:04 AM

I think you're missing the point that other people are making about the MIRV.  No, it doesn't and shouldn't have airburst, but it travels at high velocity which makes it suitable against close range airborne targets.  If someone is airborne and outside of your MIRV's effective range, then you shouldn't be fighting them in a raider so find some cover.  I would really be disappointed if more weapons got the airburst ability, since there are already a load of mechs that have TOW and GL and I would like to see more truly unique weapon diversity (requiring more skill preferably).

The transition time between KLA and MIRV could be reduced slightly but it's hardly bad right now, you just need to know when to engage and when not to.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#11 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on July 15 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

I think you're missing the point that other people are making about the MIRV.  No, it doesn't and shouldn't have airburst, but it travels at high velocity which makes it suitable against close range airborne targets.  If someone is airborne and outside of your MIRV's effective range, then you shouldn't be fighting them in a raider so find some cover.  I would really be disappointed if more weapons got the airburst ability, since there are already a load of mechs that have TOW and GL and I would like to see more truly unique weapon diversity (requiring more skill preferably).

The transition time between KLA and MIRV could be reduced slightly but it's hardly bad right now, you just need to know when to engage and when not to.

Sorry but I'm not missing anyone's point.  I considered what you and others have said above before I wrote my post.

I think you are trying to impose your play style on others instead of looking at my request to give the KLA Air Burst objectively.

If I'm using the KLA and choose not to play for cover I'm playing it wrong_  I don't think so.  What about when there is no cover_  Throw my hands up and type "you got" me before he blows me up_  Switching to Mirv mode would take about the same amount of time......

Only valid(use the word loosely) argument I've heard against giving it Air Burst is that it gives too much of an advantage to the weapon, but I've already suggested to reduce Splash to equalize it.

I would even be comfortable with removing the MIRV feature just to see it have Air Burst, but I know that wont happen.  The Devs are probably too proud of this gun and its Duel Mode characteristics.

Wielding two shotguns is not that big of a deal for me just like the Assault G2 doesn't float my boat either.

Update:
The more I think about it, the Devs have probably figured out that if the KLA had Air Burst, few players would ever switch to Mirv Mode.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 15 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#12 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:10 AM

I think ThirdEyE is on to something. If the Raider has a secondary that is essentially a TOW with an extra firing mode for close range, then there is no trade off. The price you pay for a secondary weapon with a high damage, close range alternate firing mode is that the regular firing mode cannot be detonated manually.

#13 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'm not trying to impose my playstyle, I'm explaining why you shouldn't engage someone outside of the mech's effective range.  When there is no cover and you're outside of your effective range against a mech with effective range to handle you, then yes you are objectively playing the Raider wrong.  In this situation you should retreat to cover since nobody can catch you, even use blitz if you're close to death.

The problem with reducing splash in favor of airburst is that it homogenizes the KLA by making it near identical to the TOW, but with a slightly different trajectory.  With the additional firing mode of the MIRV, this would be vastly too strong, and if you remove that then the Corsair would lose its flavor and literally become just a nuanced TOW.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#14 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:22 AM

View Postmmm_yep, on July 15 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think ThirdEyE is on to something. If the Raider has a secondary that is essentially a TOW with an extra firing mode for close range, then there is no trade off. The price you pay for a secondary weapon with a high damage, close range alternate firing mode is that the regular firing mode cannot be detonated manually.

At the risk of being laughed out of the room, but I'll say it anyway.  Firing the Mirv in CQC does not guarantee you are going to Hit with it.  So Mirv in CQC is not the end all be all weapon.

The Air Burst has been ingrained in us by the use of the Tow and Grenade and it seems like a natural option for the KLA.

#15 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on July 15 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

I'm not trying to impose my playstyle, I'm explaining why you shouldn't engage someone outside of the mech's effective range.  When there is no cover and you're outside of your effective range against a mech with effective range to handle you, then yes you are objectively playing the Raider wrong.  In this situation you should retreat to cover since nobody can catch you, even use blitz if you're close to death.

The problem with reducing splash in favor of airburst is that it homogenizes the KLA by making it near identical to the TOW, but with a slightly different trajectory.  With the additional firing mode of the MIRV, this would be vastly too strong, and if you remove that then the Corsair would lose its flavor and literally become just a nuanced TOW.

This game has two weapons.  Sustained fire and Burst that's it.  Everything after that is just a Nuanced weapon.

Weapons that stand out for me are the Heat Cannon and the EOC.  Two of the most creative weapons in the game.

Then you have your standard Riles and Shotguns.  Mirv is just another shot gun.

The Corsair KLA being able to switch between a projectile weapon or Mirv Shotgun doesn't scream creativity for me.....

Edited by BurnsHot, July 15 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#16 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 15 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

View Postmmm_yep, on July 15 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

At the risk of being laughed out of the room, but I'll say it anyway.  Firing the Mirv in CQC does not guarantee you are going to Hit with it.  So Mirv in CQC is not the end all be all weapon.

The Air Burst has been ingrained in us by the use of the Tow and Grenade and it seems like a natural option for the KLA.
I never meant to imply that the MIRV is the end all be all weapon; it's the versatility that makes it special. The same reason why so many people like the Breacher. The TOW and GL have to make up for the comparative lack of versatility by getting air burst.

But to answer your initial question, no, I don't think the KLA will get manual detonation.

Edited by mmm_yep, July 15 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#17 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Best Coast

Posted July 15 2014 - 12:03 PM

I think the point everyone else is trying to make here is that you can't give any mechs a jack of all trades. Since the raider's mirv is very successful for certain uses, giving it an airburst mode would simply give it too much utility. It would become op as a mech. All mechs need an Achilles heel, so to speak.
Signing on the dotted line

#18 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 15 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 15 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

rant

NO!!!!!11!1oneone11

Posted Image

Spoiler

#19 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 15 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 15 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

so what_ firing any weapon doesn't guarantee you're going to hit with it, no weapon is meant to be an end-all be-all weapon.
Posted Image

#20 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted July 15 2014 - 12:34 PM

I would be disappointed to see it switch to air burst I enjoy the huge aoe too much. If you're missing with the KLA an it's flying past them, stop shooting it directly at them!! I almost always shoot the KLA in the path they are moving and at their feet so if I do miss a direct hit I still come out with some damage. Even If they're in the air and at long range you can still hit the ground underneath them or a wall behind them and you may still grab some extra damage from the aoe. Now if you get really good at the KLA you can place it in a spot at the end of their dodges so the can not avoid it. You can also hit repairing enemies around corners without actually having LoS. I like to compare it to the EoC repeater because players tend to shoot straight at their target looking for direct hits, go with probability instead and shoot at their feet! You may get a couple direct hits but not all, the rest of the pucks will lay at their feet with the chance that the enemy may walk over them.

There is versitility to this weapon you arnt using. Normally when I'm aiming the KLA I'm not looking for a target per se  but an open space where my target will move to. It sounds like your trajectory is off and you're trying to use it like a TOW.

Nothing is stopping you from using it in cqc either, i use it a lot to shoot at my feet (with fail safe)like if there is an opponent behind or to my side but still in range of the aoe, such as pesky scouts that like to break your turn cap and get behind your line of sight. Normally though once an enemy breaks the threshold of my MIRV I'll switch.

As far as the switching animation taking forever.. You need to prepare yourself for which ever one you may need or switch it in between KLA/MIRV shots so as to not waste time.

Edited by LoC_TR, July 15 2014 - 12:41 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users