HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Raider's Corsair KLA weapon ever get Air Burst_

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 12:36 PM

I wish they consolidated it into one mode. Click once to fire, click again to "split" into a cone of submunitions. It'd add a lot more distinctiveness and depth.

Unlike the TOW, it wouldn't be a unidirectional explosion when airburst, so you can't detonate it "alongside" the target.

#22 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostLoC_TR, on July 15 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

As far as the switching animation taking forever.. You need to prepare yourself for which ever one you may need or switch it in between KLA/MIRV shots so as to not waste time.

Mine is always set on MIRV.  If there's someone around the corner, I'm ready.  If an enemy appears outside of MIRV range instead, then everything is less urgent and I can switch if needed.

Posted Image

#23 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 15 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

And you can switch to the Mirv_ Big deal its just a Raider with two shotguns.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this premise.

#24 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:21 PM

Sadly you are basing your argument on the idea that "If YOU miss your screwed" which is the basis for almost every shooter out there. If you miss with a gun that has either a massive splash or a large spread and HUGE damage then you missed end of story.

The Raider is not intended to be played like a mech with a Tow or GL so why would its weapons have to behave like theirs_

Sounds like you want it to totally conform to your playstyle which does not mesh with the current Raider playstyle.
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#25 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted July 15 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on July 15 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

As far as the switching animation taking forever.. You need to prepare yourself for which ever one you may need or switch it in between KLA/MIRV shots so as to not waste time.

Mine is always set on MIRV.  If there's someone around the corner, I'm ready.  If an enemy appears outside of MIRV range instead, then everything is less urgent and I can switch if needed.

Derp. Hamstringing yourself my friend. I Almost always skirmish with the KLA and then move in with the kill with the MIRV. Open up your options by using both, the enemy will also think twice before engaging you from certain distances if they know your KLA can snap out and grab them. You also need to be thinking about your damage over the course of the match, if you're only on MIRV you're missing out on precious opportunities to help you teammates capitalize on their targets. Reassess your playstyle you're only making it more difficult for yourself and your team.

See you out there pilot!

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#26 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 06:27 PM

I do hamstring myself, but not directly because of that...  I usually stay alone and crawl behind cover.  I appear next to the enemy group from the back or side.  When they are in my sight, I'm already in MIRV range.  So, I have no reason to walk around in fireball mode unless I have a specific reason to.

I don't want to stay with my team and poke from afar.  I'm a thrill seeker and playing the poke poke game drives me mad.
I do well enough so far doing what I do.  I'm convinced that it would be easier if I stayed more with my team and poked like I think you do, hence I do hamstring myself by doing something much riskier, but poking with the team would drive me insane.

Posted Image

#27 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:43 PM

It's not even that. I enjoy diving in raider as much as you, but you can just create better opportunities for yourself by poking them first.

Edited by LoC_TR, July 15 2014 - 11:44 PM.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#28 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:03 AM

Hmmm ... I have a hard time imagining scenarios where I would want to poke first if I'm not with the team.

With my amazing luck, what usually happens is that I press Q, press it again a few times until it works a second time, and the person who does come is an enemy.  So in a 1v1, I have better chances by making the fight as short as I can.

When flanking the enemy team, the fireball would only be good to finish someone off, otherwise the low DPS would accomplish too little unless they're all bunched up together.  Meanwhile my team might be losing the fight and maybe they wouldn't be if I had rushed in and killed the sharpshooter and the tech.

I'm curious of what you might say to that.  I like theorycrafting.

Edit: Wow that sounded so wrong...

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, July 16 2014 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image

#29 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:16 AM

View PostAmidatelion, on July 15 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

View PostBurnsHot, on July 15 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

And you can switch to the Mirv_ Big deal its just a Raider with two shotguns.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this premise.

Coming up with a new style weapon would be nicer.

#30 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:29 AM

I would be disappointed to see it switch to air burst I enjoy the huge aoe too much. If you're missing with the KLA an it's flying past them, stop shooting it directly at them!! I almost always shoot the KLA in the path they are moving and at their feet so if I do miss a direct hit I still come out with some damage. Even If they're in the air and at long range you can still hit the ground underneath them or a wall behind them and you may still grab some extra damage from the aoe. Now if you get really good at the KLA you can place it in a spot at the end of their dodges so the can not avoid it. You can also hit repairing enemies around corners without actually having LoS. I like to compare it to the EoC repeater because players tend to shoot straight at their target looking for direct hits, go with probability instead and shoot at their feet! You may get a couple direct hits but not all, the rest of the pucks will lay at their feet with the chance that the enemy may walk over them.

There is versitility to this weapon you arnt using. Normally when I'm aiming the KLA I'm not looking for a target per se  but an open space where my target will move to. It sounds like your trajectory is off and you're trying to use it like a TOW.

Nothing is stopping you from using it in cqc either, i use it a lot to shoot at my feet (with fail safe)like if there is an opponent behind or to my side but still in range of the aoe, such as pesky scouts that like to break your turn cap and get behind your line of sight. Normally though once an enemy breaks the threshold of my MIRV I'll switch.

Thanks for the info on how to use this weapon.  The Noobs will appreciate, but I've been around long enough to own every Mech Hawken has and have leveled them up to 30.  I have dominated players in my Raider using EOC and KLA (Fire Ball mode).  So I'm very familiar with how to Play as a Raider and how to use the KLA. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the beginning.

I'm simply stating my observation that its comes natural to me for that the KLA's fire ball mode should have Air Burst just like the Tow or the Grenade.

Those who don't like the idea seem to believe it will make the Raider too OP or it turns the KLA into another version of the Tow etc.....

I obviously disagree and believe that it will only make the weapon and the game play better.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 16 2014 - 05:32 AM.

#31 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 16 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

I obviously disagree and believe that it will only make the weapon and the game play better.

disagreement is fine and all, but can you give some real, objective reasoning behind that_ so far the only arguments you're presenting are "it's what I  want" and "it's not creative" (but somehow homogenizing the weapon even further by adding a feature that is already present on most secondary weapons is :huh: ) neither of which are objective or convincing in any meaningful way

Edited by Beefsweat, July 16 2014 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#32 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:01 PM

The Sorry Launcher on the Incinerator has massive splash, damage, and if I remember correctly, its larger ones even cause a heat increase for enemies on impact. That can't be air-bursted, and yet very few Incin pilots complain about lacking the air-burst option.

Boo-hoo. If Air Compressor users are what's causing your salt, just get in their face with the MIRV, seriously.

Mid-range poking is for Assaults and princesses. The Raider is neither.
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#33 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 10:51 PM

Why turn the KLA into TOW clone_ That'd be lame... If the KLA gets any easier to use, it'd be OP.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#34 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'd like to Corsair to get the MIRV mode removed, and airburst-functionality in KLA mode.
I never use MIRV mode, even against air dodging zerkers.

But then, that's how I play.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#35 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostScarletThirteen, on July 16 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

The Sorry Launcher on the Incinerator has massive splash, damage, and if I remember correctly, its larger ones even cause a heat increase for enemies on impact. That can't be air-bursted, and yet very few Incin pilots complain about lacking the air-burst option.

Boo-hoo. If Air Compressor users are what's causing your salt, just get in their face with the MIRV, seriously.

Mid-range poking is for Assaults and princesses. The Raider is neither.

If you actually read my post you would know that I recognized in incinerator secondary as a spam gun and never asked for it to have Air Burst.  The cool down rates are so drastic that you can not compare the two secondary weapons.

Edited by BurnsHot, August 13 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#36 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on July 16 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostBurnsHot, on July 16 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

disagreement is fine and all, but can you give some real, objective reasoning behind that_ so far the only arguments you're presenting are "it's what I  want" and "it's not creative" (but somehow homogenizing the weapon even further by adding a feature that is already present on most secondary weapons is :huh: ) neither of which are objective or convincing in any meaningful way

I don't need to be objectively convincing.  After playing the Raider and leveling it to 30, I simply voiced my opinion.  That's all.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 24 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#37 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 08:27 PM

nah the Corsair just needs its RoF adjusted to be equal to TOW/Grenade launcher

#38 Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on July 15 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

I'm not trying to impose my playstyle, I'm explaining why you shouldn't engage someone outside of the mech's effective range.  When there is no cover and you're outside of your effective range against a mech with effective range to handle you, then yes you are objectively playing the Raider wrong.  In this situation you should retreat to cover since nobody can catch you, even use blitz if you're close to death.

The problem with reducing splash in favor of airburst is that it homogenizes the KLA by making it near identical to the TOW, but with a slightly different trajectory.  With the additional firing mode of the MIRV, this would be vastly too strong, and if you remove that then the Corsair would lose its flavor and literally become just a nuanced TOW.

This. The truth has never been spoken so clearly. DON'T TOUCH MAH RAIDER KAY_ It's perfectly fine the way it is, I love it more than those no-skill TOW airbust spammers. When you learn how to use the KLA/MIRV, it feels fantastic. Like, nearly one-shotting a scout with your two shotguns is like the best feeling in the world.

Edited by Jelooboi, August 24 2014 - 03:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users