HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New to FPSes, and increasingly stressed over the game

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 22 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostVenomousWoe, on July 22 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

I once had a miserably bad KDR of .82. Now, after months of practice and play time, it's now sitting at 1.08.
Back in February, I was made aware that KDR and MMR were "important", as I was being labeled as a fuzzybunny by other players when I showed up on badly match-balanced teams. 0.23, MMR of 1052.
After deciding to have fun AND kill frequently instead of driving around blowing stuff up and getting blown up, I now have nearly 100hrs playtime, 0.68kdr, 1498mmr.
Starting out bad, staying clueless (for a whole year--this is what "ignoring the numbers" gets you), and having to build out of a bad-numbers pit can be daunting, so practice now! You have good advice here on the forums, browse the other forums as well!
And as always, Have A Nice Day!
:)

Edited by EM1O, July 22 2014 - 06:40 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#22 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 22 2014 - 06:43 AM

View PostEM1O, on July 22 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostVenomousWoe, on July 22 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

I once had a miserably bad KDR of .82. Now, after months of practice and play time, it's now sitting at 1.08.
Back in February, I was made aware that KDR and MMR were "important", as I was being labeled as a fuzzybunny by other players when I showed up on badly match-balanced teams. 0.23, MMR of 1052.
After deciding to have fun AND kill frequently instead of driving around blowing stuff up and getting blown up, I now have nearly 100hrs playtime, 0.68kdr, 1498mmr.
Starting out bad, staying clueless (for a whole year--this is what "ignoring the numbers" gets you), and having to build out of a bad-numbers pit can be daunting, so practice now! You have good advice here on the forums, browse the other forums as well!
And as always, Have A Nice Day!

Did you really need the STATS to tell you that you were playing poorly_

You either play and goof off or you play and play to win.

Edited by BurnsHot, July 22 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#23 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 22 2014 - 08:39 AM

View Postclearblu3, on July 21 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Thanks for the warm welcome :)  I think for me it really is the sort of shift from RPG/single player games, where numbers and levels are pretty much the main indicator of performance. I enjoy the game (you get to blow up giant mechs as other giant mechs - quite impossible not to love it, really) and I like being able to support the team as a Technician. I'll keep trying to improve, and the comments here have really encouraged me.

Also, any community that references starship troopers is clearly objectively amazing.

If you are looking to improve be it with the tech or other mechs there are a ton of guides posted up on the forums by vets. I know you mentioned earlier that you enjoy playing a C-class in Siege so here is a link to my guide to playing the Vanguard. It includes game footage, a breakdown of mistakes made in each game and well of course playing like a man (important stuff).

Link to guide ---> https://community.pl...__hl__leonhardt

Oh and I almost forgot since you are new to both FPS games and Hawken you need a sweet montage to get you pumped. ;)

P.S. Starship Troopers = win.

Edited by Leonhardt, July 22 2014 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:38 PM

Dont boost/fly whenever u are not fighting someone cause u are seemed on radar!use cover,dodge when u are fighting someone,CHECK THE RADAR,dont ever try charging to a group alone!!!welcome to the game,i wanna add that we all sucked hard as new players..i would suggest to check youtube and guides in forums,movement is the key to this game!

#25 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:40 PM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean... FELLOW PILOT!!!!

Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to Hawken. If you ever need help, don't hesitate to click my sig. I've got quite a few videos up that should help new players get used to the game. I'm adding more so be sure to check it out.

Okay, first things first, is if you're new to the FPS gig, the first thing you have to do it get used to moving in the game. Trust me, it's the most fundamental thing you need to learn. The ability to keep your aim steady while moving is essential. Also if you picked up the predator this early on, that's a bad move. Predator is one of the most difficult mechs in the game to pilot. Most veteran players still have a tough time using it. Lastly, only short minded people care about their K/D. They win the battle but they lose the war.

Also, I love RPGs myself, but I just don't have the time to commit to them anymore.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#26 clearblu3

clearblu3

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 11:24 PM

Thanks!  stopped worrying so much about scores and numbers and instead just focused on improving my game and supporting my team. I picked up the crab paint job for my technician, stuck the unlocked parts on and now I'm a mechanical healing crab. Not sure how this game can get any better at this point.

But in all seriousness I'm really enjoying Hawken, but instead of goofing around I'm focusing on making sure my team's alive, as well as using the "damage repaired" stat to give me a rough gauge of how I'm doing (I assume the average mech has around 500 armour, so I divide the number given by 500 to try and estimate how much I've been able to help). Currently I'm trying to learn to be able to heal while avoiding my teammates crashing into me, and asking that one guy in the team to not dash into the middle of three enemies, green beam or no. I do suspect I'll need to pick up the recruit sooner or later to learn the combat oriented basics , though.

Anyway thanks for all the advice and the welcome; the community has been awesome and it's helped me get into the game. Keep on rocking :)

#27 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted July 26 2014 - 10:05 AM

and to be honest i doubt any good people go round scanning or caring what your kdr is, just have fun and if you can only die, pretend your staring in the first predator movie
i don't mean any of it

#28 IronRoach

IronRoach

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDominating the Earth, for 85 million years

Posted July 26 2014 - 12:57 PM

aim well
kill often
die seldom
dodge
use cover like another skin
repair frequently when able (that 25hp your down now could be a CQC decision later)
keep moving
have fun

Posted Image

I'll make up my mind later

#29 SamEureka

SamEureka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Locationall your base are belong to us

Posted July 26 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have zero advice for you... Just wanted to say welcome!

on second thought, I suppose I have a little advice. Get a mic if you don't have one. Comms and tactics are a huge game changer and add a whole new dimension of fun and somewhat human interaction to the game.

again, welcome... and whatever you do, enjoy HAWKEN!
//Sam
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users