HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Not Your typical joystick post....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:24 PM

Update 8/12/14:
Beginning to start getting "proper" ideas for how i'm going to implement certain functions...
For example: A 2 pedal setup that allows for three buttons to be pushed (twist left, twist right, center/push down)
Posted Image

Update 8/8/14:
Spoiler

Update: 8/5/2014:

Spoiler

Original Post Below
Spoiler

Edited by d3dreaper, August 11 2014 - 09:41 PM.

Posted Image
Finally broke past a 1.0k/d @ a 2.5 on 08/04/14 with 10K 4D 6A !YAY!
My custom hawken game chair build

#2 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 01 2014 - 09:51 PM

I'd say go for the first one, the teensy one seems a lot more complex but I'm not sure if it'll be more rewarding or not.  If you feel like putting up with it, i'd say go ahead, otherwise, do the first one.  I myself am not a hands on person and would probably go do the teensy route but try my best not to gamebreak anything

#3 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 10:03 PM

The reason i'm considering the teensy is because, eventually, i'd like to figure out how to display information on an led screen (like health, amount of items left, etc) as well as LED indicators for hit locations. And (if i'm understanding the builds correctly) the only hard part of the teensy would be writing the code for it to run. The reason i'm considering the (essentially) xbox controller mod is because i'm worried about stepping over boundaries with a custom build.

<Addendum> I just realized(noticed_) the 360 controller pcb is a multilayer type and i can't cut it....

Edited by d3dreaper, August 01 2014 - 10:04 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 10:19 PM

View Postd3dreaper, on August 01 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

The reason i'm considering the teensy is because, eventually, i'd like to figure out how to display information on an led screen (like health, amount of items left, etc) as well as LED indicators for hit locations. And (if i'm understanding the builds correctly) the only hard part of the teensy would be writing the code for it to run. The reason i'm considering the (essentially) xbox controller mod is because i'm worried about stepping over boundaries with a custom build.

<Addendum> I just realized(noticed_) the 360 controller pcb is a multilayer type and i can't cut it....
Damn, that'd be so sick.  Make me one too :P
So, it sounds like you can't do the first option because the 360 controller isn't using a usable pcb.  I guess you're just going to be stuck with the teensy option.  Good luck

#5 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostInfyrno, on August 01 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

So, it sounds like you can't do the first option because the 360 controller isn't using a usable pcb.  I guess you're just going to be stuck with the teensy option.  Good luck

There's always the off-brand controllers as well (alot of which are poorly made on a single layer pcb)

Also I'm thinking as my build comes along (slowly), I'm going to use this topic as my updates page for it.
Posted Image

#6 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 10:33 PM

View Postd3dreaper, on August 01 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

View PostInfyrno, on August 01 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

There's always the off-brand controllers as well (alot of which are poorly made on a single layer pcb)

Also I'm thinking as my build comes along (slowly), I'm going to use this topic as my updates page for it.
Sounds good to me

#7 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 07:18 AM

Players use autohotkey to completely automate the incinerator, and the devs, even if they cared about such, do not have the time to fix it.

You would, most likely, be the only person using actual hardware modifications, making tracking you down and doing anything about it a very low priority.  Add to that the awesomeness of your setup (or what you want your setup to be) and they should really encourage such changes.

If you want to be invisible why not use both options_  Have the microcontroller interface through the 360 gamepad, and then you have the best of both worlds, though it would be more complicated.

Joystick+mouse is the best combination for both precise movement and aiming, good luck ;)

#8 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:18 AM

Update: 8/5/14
Ordered some stuff and updated original post to reflect upon this

Also... If someone could help me figure out how to resize an image that'd be awesome cause it doesn't seem to be sticking for me...

Edited by d3dreaper, August 05 2014 - 07:20 AM.

Posted Image

#9 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 08 2014 - 02:51 PM

That joystick looks awesome. I appreciate the wear and tear on it. Such is fitting, especially when you consider you're going to use it for Hawken.

Edit: Nevermind, misread your post.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, August 08 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#10 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 04:10 PM

Update 8/8/14:

I received my chair and have settled on ordering a pair of Saitek ST290 joysticks seeing as that they were
Ambidextrous and fairly low cost

Work on frame will commence next week as will ordering the teensy and various other buttons and LEDs.
Next update will involve progress on the development of the chair.Also will update OP with pics as soon as I get home.

Edited by d3dreaper, August 08 2014 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#11 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 08 2014 - 09:08 PM

All in favor of the Hawken Arcade machine_
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 11 2014 - 07:12 PM

I gotta an old Saitek st290 sitting to the right of my mousepad. (MechWarrior. heh.)
that's just eerie, dude.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#13 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 08:29 PM

well the st290 was the only ambidextrous stick i could find that wasn't $50+ (i'm a broke mutha-f******) lmao
I would really love the hotas warthog or a legit flight grip but for now they'll fit just fine

Right now i'm trying to design up a 3 button swivel pedal system (twist left, twist right, and push down for third) I may post up my blend snapshot if i can get it right.
Posted Image

#14 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:34 PM

New photo added to OP for the basis for my pedals.
Posted Image

#15 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 13 2014 - 09:13 PM

What were you planning on using the pedals for_  Dodge and boost_  You could add push forward for flight (with a spring return) and if you made it strong enough you'd really be on to something.

#16 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 07:35 AM

The pedals were going to be set up with dodge left, dodge right, 180 turn.

And i'm going to be holding everything to center with trampoline springs.

Edited by d3dreaper, August 15 2014 - 07:37 AM.

Posted Image

#17 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 08:15 AM

Bit of an update: I've ordered the teensy 3.1 and am waiting on other parts as well. Taking some time to learn more about the coding side of things on it as I have an idea of how it's going to be wired up. I've never had a fully functioning code outside of 'hello world' and  basic math so we'll see how much fun this turns into.
Posted Image

#18 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 10:46 AM

Giving an update on my build.
I've recieved my teensy, still waiting on my perfboard and a couple other parts.
Trying to figure out this code to include my keypad as a valid output (it shows an output in the serial monitor but wont show it anywhere else)
If any knows anything about arduino coding let me know. that would be most helpful.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users