HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Drops to 30 FPS after a few minutes - GTX 590

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 03:43 PM

I've got a 120hz projector, and a tripple monitor setup (both 3D).
When I start hawken, I get proper fps - 120 for 120, 60 fps for 3D, etc.
I can get in about 1 match, and then the frame drops to a funkilling 30fps. It'll rise to 40 on the menus, but drops to pathetic frame rates in game.

My card is not running at top performace. It just sits around begging me to play all my other games which run fine.

System: GTX 590 1.5GB driver version: 337
Phenom 2 X6 1100T 3.8GHZ OC
12GB Ram
3GB @ 160MB/s Hard Drive
Windows 8.1

attempts: restart the game a lot - Works for the first match.
set nvidia to high performance - No change.
Reset OC on CPU - no change
Changed all setting to ultra. No change.
Changed all settings to low. No change.
Enabled / Disabled PhysX, No change.
Tried playing on a 26' screen with 7.1 audio. No internet!

Am I supposed to do some fancy settings in the hawken 3D performance profile_
Is SLI not working_

#2 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 02 2014 - 05:46 PM

If u didn't mess up the configs, try updating the driver, if not, file a support ticket

Edited by Infyrno, August 02 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 02 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well first of all, there is a new driver update to all NVIDIA consumer graphics card that fixes a lot of issues with 3D, in particular. The new update is version 340.52 (release notes). You should try installing that, and see if the issue goes away.

If that doesn't work, and from the look of your post, it might be an overheating issue with the graphics card. It could also be the problem with 3D, and that the monitor connection may not have enough pixel fillrate bandwidth, or the refresh rate is misbehaving in an odd way.

It would also help if you posted a GPU-Z screenshot of the GPU you are running on.

EDIT: I just realized that you have a 1.5gb of bandwidth on the card... and assuming you're SLIing, thats only 3GB, which is not ideal for 3 monitors + a 120hz 3D projector. 3GB of graphics bandwidth is only viable in a situation with 3 monitors at max. That's probably your issue right there, as the SLI link between the GPU cannot process all concurrent 4 screens simultaneously, and thus, drops the frame rate immensely. HAWKEN is known to be rather demanding on GPUs, so two GTX 590 with that many monitors will probably be less than ideal.

Edited by Draigun, August 02 2014 - 07:16 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#4 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 02 2014 - 07:17 PM

Sli works fine if you set it up correctly in the nvidia control panel(and only if you've set it to alternate frame rendering).  There's a write up on it in the forums (by captain kill Jack and I posted my nvidia control panel settings) if you search, I can't dig up the link for you right at this moment cause I'm on my mobile.

Turn on the nvidia sli indicator and see, but if you didn't setup sli in the profile I can already tell you it's not using both cards.

I suspect your primary card is overheating and declocking, trying to prevent it from overheating.  I get max frames in the menus using sli, but I also run a lower resolution at 1080p.

What's the gpu temps and clock/mem/shader frequencies when it goes into "junk" mode_

Are you running the same resolution on each of your monitors_

Are you running any sort of upgraded cooling system or is it just the default fans_

You can get the information I asked you for by some third party application like evga precision x 14 or msi afterburner.  Also there's a nifty program called nvinspector where you can check to see if the cards are in the correct modes p0, p3, p8 and p12 modes.

I'd be willing to bet that when your card is severely throttling itself it is not in p0 mode, most likely due to a temperature issue.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#5 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 08:25 PM

Here's stats on my card (it's the 2 580s on one board basically)
Stock cooling.

I've been watching the temps via EVGA's app on my logitech LCD. It's never above 70C. I have an agressive fan curve goin' to keep it cool.
It doesn't go above 75%  load / usage on either GPU though. Just sits around being awefully slow.
My cpu also doesn't ever hit 100% on any core.

It stays at 630 MHz (factory OC) even when the frame rates are slow.

I set to alt frame rendering 1.
I updated my drivers to 340
I tried it with just 1 monitor.

Posted Image

#6 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 02 2014 - 09:40 PM

More info:

I tested it more.
At 120 fps 2D, it'll run 50-65 ingame, and hit 120 on the menus.
At 60fps 3D, it ran 60FPS smoothly in game and menus.
It looks like SLI is slowing it down or something rediculous.

#7 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 02 2014 - 09:59 PM

OK, I'm back from the ballgame.

Looking over your last post, everything seems to be ok except for this.

View Postpuzzabug, on August 02 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

It stays at 630 MHz (factory OC) even when the frame rates are slow.
My cards downclock to the 2d mode (p12) at idle, and the clock speeds fluctuate on demand.  If you are always running at max clock speed I suspect you run at least one monitor at a different resolution than the rest.  Thats normal for Nvidia cards in the 500 series, it has something to do with some bandaid to help with screen flicker.  The 600 and later series cards will downclock correctly with monitors using different resolutions.

Since thats the max clock speed of your card, I think its safe to assume that the card is running as fast as it can and not downclocking, and also the temps are within limits, so something else is causing it to get clogged up.

Now, with all of that, I don't think anything actually screams out at what the problem actually is.

I'd recommend opening up the nvidia control panel, and setting things similar to mine.  
https://community.pl...en/#entry216188

Obviously, the single display performance mode should be set differently, but the other settings should be good.  The biggest killer would be the vertical sync.

While you are in the nvidia control panel, when you are in the manage 3d tab, there will be a menu at the top that appears that says "3d settings"   Thats where you can turn on both the SLI indicator and physX indicator.  The SLI indicator is kinda a mirror setup, where zero CPU usage is in the center of the screen, and one card is positive and the other card is negative.  So both cards running full load will be a full green bar, both cards running 50% will be a bar only taking up half of the screen from starting at the center.
That will at least tell you if you are indeed in SLI mode while playing Hawken, it also helps to see if physX is on the GPU or CPU.

Also are you using the 3D vision driver stuff, and do you really need it_  I know it sounds crazy but ever since I uninstalled those 2 drivers, my performance increased.  I read a bunch of stuff on other forums and thought it was a bunch of fooie, but as it turns out, it did make things run better in the games I play and I never used the 3D mode so I didn't miss out on anything.  Not sure if you need it or not, but its worth a shot to uninstall and test.

Other than that I have no idea what could be cloggin things up.  Not sure about Draigun's bandwidth theory.

Also inside Hawken, set the video settings to the following

Fullscreen :ON
Borderless: OFF
Vertical Sync: OFF

Capped smooth framerate on will by default lock it at 122, you can lower or raise that in the Hawkenengine.ini file in your "My DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig folder.

Edited by SS396, August 02 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#8 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 03 2014 - 11:31 AM

Question:  Are you alt-tabbing out of the game at all and after that is when it starts acting stupid_

Was that screenshot of nvinspector taken while Hawken was running_  To me it looks like it was when you were back at the desktop with nothing taxing the card.  P12 is 2d mode, and the clocks are way low.

Also, keep nvinspector up and running and play.  When it starts to act stupid, alt-tab to nvinspector and make sure the P-state is P0, and the entire row of current clock boxes match the max clock settings of your card.

#9 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 01:21 PM

That makes more sense. Although I've been building computers for years, I'm a bit new to the advanced graphics stuff. I'll do exactly what you said some time this week.

Thanks for all the help!

#10 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 02:19 PM

I've tested this out. Things are only getting worse, and framerates are lower.

It runs in p0. It runs on a low 15-30% gpu load.
It doesn't run over 50% on any of my 6 3.8ghz cpu cores.

Changing all sorts of settings hasn't helped it.

Often it'll be higher fps after I die and am watching another mech or while repairing and lower fps in a cockpit.

I get great fps in pretty much every other game, so I've got no idea what's going on.

#11 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 26 2014 - 05:17 PM

Well sucks that things aren't getting any better.

#12 RunaPanda

RunaPanda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTrolling you where ever you go :3

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:21 AM

View Postpuzzabug, on August 26 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I've tested this out. Things are only getting worse, and framerates are lower.

It runs in p0. It runs on a low 15-30% gpu load.
It doesn't run over 50% on any of my 6 3.8ghz cpu cores.

Changing all sorts of settings hasn't helped it.

Often it'll be higher fps after I die and am watching another mech or while repairing and lower fps in a cockpit.

I get great fps in pretty much every other game, so I've got no idea what's going on.

That 1100T is good but it's starting to become very outdated. They were fast in their day but they lack many crucial instruction sets, though I went from a 1090T to an FX 8350 before my current build, and saw at least a 60% performance increase from it. AMD is gonna be releasing the 8370 and 8370E in the next coming months, so the older Visheras are getting a good sized price drop. Here's a comparison between the 1100T and current best 8350, won't mention the 9590 or the 9370 since they require liquid cooling only.

http://cpuboss.com/c...-vs-AMD-FX-8350
Intel i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz| DDR4  3200 @ CAS 14|SLIed Quad GTX 980|Kingspec 1TB PCIe SSD/ 4x 3TB HDDs|Logitech G502 Proteus Core|Razer DeathStalker Ultimate|Occulus Rift|3xAsus ROG Swift PG278Q|Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus|Wrapped up in a sexy Corsair Obsidian 900D w/ Custom Laser etching

#13 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted August 27 2014 - 10:22 AM

It might seem crazy what I'm about to say. I have an under powered PC but I play just fine by creating a .bat file which shuts off Windows Explorer and other apps on the background including my anti-virus and then re-launches them after I close the game. It made a huge increase in the fps and I'm doing fine! Otherwise, you might wanna reduce your settings. Put on capped smooth framerate or something like that in the video settings.
Posted Image

#14 puzzabug

puzzabug

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 10:18 PM

I might try the close all background apps stuff.

I noticed I'm also recieving low fps (90-30) in some other games. Perhaps it is my CPU afterall.

I guess it's time for a new rig with dual GTX 980s or somethin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users