HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tutorial: Setting Higher Performance for Nvidia Graphics Cards In Hawken

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted February 24 2013 - 09:37 AM

How to set Nvidia Graphics Card (GPU) to higher performance In Hawken:
By Cpt_Kill_Jack

This mostly helps high end graphics card and mid range graphics cards. Would also recommend another program like MSI Afterburner to set a custom fan profile but this is up to you.

- This option will not work for integrated mobile graphics cards.
- If you have ever rolled your drivers back or the option is not available this could be the reason why its not there. My suggestion is a clean driver install which I explain how to do with the the current driver 310 series and above in the driver installation section.
- XP drivers may not have the Power management options that Window Vista and 7 have.

Step one:
Open the Nvidia Control Panel.

Posted Image
Following steps will be taken from this image.

Step Two:
Click on Manage 3D settings.

Step Three:
Click on the Program Settings tab.
Note this is an important step because if you leave it set to global settings your gpu will never idle even in windows desktop.

Step Four:
If you do not see Hawken in the drop down list in the Program Settings menu please add the hawkengame-win32-shipping.exe to the list from the root folder for Hawken and in the Bin folder.

Direct location of the EXE:
64Bit Systems: C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonHawkenBinariesWin32HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

32Bit Systems: C:Program FilesSteamSteamAppscommonHawkenBinariesWin32HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

Step Five:
Once you have Hawken selected in the drop down menu look for the Power management mode option and set it to Prefer maximum performance.

Step Six:
Apply the settings and start or restart your game.

Please note that if you update your drivers you will have to reapply these settings.

But these settings will make your graphics care in Hawken Stay at Full load clock meaning your getting the full power and not just what the driver thinks you need because the game doesn't load it enough. This should fix low FPS for The game. If you need anything explained any more in depth please let me know what needs further explanation and I would be happy to edit it.

Driver Recommendations:

I recommend a clean driver install with 337.88 WHQL.  The link for the driver can be found at the bottom of the tutorial.
Please note that the Windows Vista and Windows 7 drivers are now also the drivers you download for Windows 8.

GeForce 337.88 WHQL for desktop GPUs: [Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista, 32-bit] [Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista, 64-bit]

GeForce 337.88 for desktop GPUs: [Windows XP, 32-bit] [Windows XP, 64-bit]
Spoiler

GeForce 337.88 WHQL for notebook GPUs:  [Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista, 32-bit] [Windows 8/Windows 7/Vista, 64-bit]  
Important Information in Spoiler for Notebook GPUs
Spoiler

If have a request for a specific driver that is not listed here please just ask and I and get you a link.

Installing Drivers:
When installing drivers I would suggest going to the Custom section instead of standard and checking the box at the bottom that says Clean install.

This will remove your current driver and ask you to restart. Upon restart the driver install will begin and when its finished it will ask you once more to restart. After this your driver is installed and you shouldn't have any issues.

--------------------
Updates:

Feb 24th, 2013 - Rewrote for hawken.
Feb 24th, 2013 - Changed some text colors for easier reading.
Feb 24th, 2013 - Added direct location path for the Hawkengame exe
Feb 25th, 2013 - Updated Driver links to 314.07 WHQL Drivers.
Feb 27th, 2013 - Reverted Driver links to 310.70 WHQL Drivers due to Reports and testing showing higher frame gain.
Mar 29th, 2013 - Updated driver links for 314.22 WHQL Drivers after testing showed improvements in FPS in High&Lows
Feb 17th, 2014 - Long overdue Compatibility update. Updated for Steam release
Feb 19th, 2014 - Driver Compatibility update for GTX Titan Black
Jun  06th, 2014 - Driver Updated for latest WHQL 337.88

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, June 06 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#2 Ipimus

Ipimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 11:43 AM

YEAH!!... GREAT MAN!!! Just melted my GPU.. real cool!!!

LoL.. kiddin. Ty. seen a small improvement in my FPS from 30 to 40, 470 GTX.

#3 KyRoS

KyRoS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 12:56 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Will see if this improves performance. Could prove useful for a number of games.

#4 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostKyRoS, on February 24 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. Will see if this improves performance. Could prove useful for a number of games.

This was originally written for World of Tanks because the game didnt properly utilize the gpu and it continuously flipped between load and idle clocks. This keeps it locked at Load clocks. To this day the support staff still link to the tutorial on the WoT forums.

#5 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 02:58 PM

Any reason you recommend that specific driver version over the most recent update_  Better performance_

#6 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 03:00 PM

People have been having issues with the 313 driver with hawken. And there really is no difference between 310.70 and 310.90 because it was just to add support for some feature that wasnt needed.

#7 Major_Victory

Major_Victory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 03:57 PM

New drivers are out, I'm using 314.07 I believe. Works great.

#8 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I'm on the latest 314.  Wasn't playing back in December so I'll grab the 310 release and try it out.

#9 RentAKnight

RentAKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted February 24 2013 - 04:30 PM

Have you played with the other settings_
Inactive.

#10 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 04:33 PM

FXAA may help Rent if you want to give it a try. Its a faster shader based Anti Aliasing. The only downside is it can make things like text not as sharp as normal.

#11 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Post_Caffeine_, on February 24 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Yeah I'm on the latest 314.  Wasn't playing back in December so I'll grab the 310 release and try it out.
share tests pls. i play with 314 too

Posted Image

#12 _incitatus

_incitatus

former senator

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOXR, AL

Posted February 24 2013 - 07:28 PM

I have been crashing to the desktop constantly and after following the setup in this post I don't crash anymore!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Posted Image

[HWK]ZamboniChaos, on April 23 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

You are the undisputed champion of camouflages.

#13 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 10:26 PM

Played all night on the 310 release, couldnt tell a difference from up to date 314 drivers on my rig.

#14 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 24 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on February 24 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

People have been having issues with the 313 driver with hawken. And there really is no difference between 310.70 and 310.90 because it was just to add support for some feature that wasnt needed.

I disagree, I had major issues as soon as I upgraded from 310.70 to 310.90.  It was so bad I had to revert back.  So there was some major change.  I noticed graphical artifacts on the scoreboard screens mostly.

Now I am on 314.07, and it is solid.  No graphical issues to report since release, however I have noticed my temps are a few degrees higher than normal at idle than with the 313.96 beta driver.

I didn't have any graphical or temp problems with the 313.96 beta driver either.

@RentAKnight

I set these:
Multidisplay mixed - Single display performance mode
Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
SLI rendering mode - Force alternate frame rendering 2 (this sets SLI mode in hawken (mode 1 or 2 works))
Texture filtering negitive LOD - ALLOW
Texture filtering quality - High performance
Texture filtering trilinear opt- ON
triple buffering - OFF
vertical sync - OFF

Edited by SS396, February 24 2013 - 11:01 PM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#15 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted February 24 2013 - 11:05 PM

I updated to the latest driver (released Feb 18) and holy fuzzy bunny, an instant 15~20 FPS improvement in graphics and much less lag spikes.

Posted Image

#16 Hollow_Knight

Hollow_Knight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 04:06 AM

THIS
THREAD

Thanks a bunch!  Been wondering why I was getting such poor FPS

#17 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:00 AM

People should really have power management set to maximum performance in their global settings, not just specifically in a custom Hawken profile. I mean, unless there's some reason they don't want to get the most out of their GPU in all of their games..._

Edited by Keiichi81, February 25 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#18 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostKeiichi81, on February 25 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

People should really have power management set to maximum performance in their global settings, not just specifically in a custom Hawken profile. I mean, unless there's some reason they don't want to get the most out of their GPU in all of their games..._

There are issues with that. One being that the card will never switch to idle even at the desktop. You dont really need it in the global. If a game makes use of the gpu enough it will never flip between Load and idle clocks (crysis is an example). It really depends on the game.

#19 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostAlastor_Crow, on February 24 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

I updated to the latest driver (released Feb 18) and holy fuzzy bunny, an instant 15~20 FPS improvement in graphics and much less lag spikes.

Interesting I may try the update and if it does improve I will update the links. I ususally update this review with only drivers I have tested to make sure that they work and would actually increase performance but other people like i said were expressing issues so I didnt attempt the 314. I now have it installed and will begin testing and will update the links. For my previous versions it would have to do with WoT where I have had this Tutorial running since 2011.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, February 25 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#20 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ok I installed the 314 and to me it didnt have any issues but the high fps seemed like it dropped to me but i will need to run some more map tests with that but the Low fps did increase to sitting usually around 60 and not below. Ill go ahead and update the links.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users