HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tutorial: Setting Higher Performance for Nvidia Graphics Cards In Hawken

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 12 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostCrushly, on March 11 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Hi Cpt_Kill_Jack. I have several questions and hope you bear with me as I'm new to info about video cards. A few days ago I upgraded to a GeFORCE GT 630 video card along with 16GB of RAM, a ViewSonic VX2253 HDMI 1080p monitor and two 3.0 USB ports. The original integrated video card is still installed.

Should I update the drivers anyway using your clean install instructions_ Also, is there a conflict by leaving the original integrated video card installed_ I haven't checked to see if it can be removed, What if I want to use more than one monitor_ If the original video card is left installed would it be better to use the original for  a VGA monitor instead of the new (GT 630) dedicated one_

Hello Well lets start out with something here that has me. You have a GT 630 with is the 3rd from the bottom card in the Nvidia lineup. Also for Hawken as a game the recommended Minimum is a 9800 which happens to have almost 100 more shaders than your 630. Although the 630 is a newer card than the 9800 the actually power of the card is pretty bad in comparison. Now the 630 is probably better than your integrated card but its not really anything for gaming. As for VLC and that I really dont know. I dont use the program and I just use WMP with my Codecs. If you want more than one monitor I would suggest running them off the 630 but it will cut your performance in any game. That 630 is the equivalent of an integrated laptop GPU at this point. Its an extreme entry level card.

#42 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 05:53 AM

Also I just wanted to put up a warning for those that were looking to upgrade to Nvidias 314.14 Beta drivers or have already upgraded. There have been throttling issues reported with this drivers on the Geforce and EVGA forums.

#43 Crushly

Crushly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostSS396, on March 12 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

View PostCrushly, on March 11 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Another question I have is about upgrading the drivers. I don't have any other video games. When I checked for updates via the Nvidia Control Panel it said there was none even though it clearly says there is one available. Attachment Picture 2013-03-12 01_07_42.png
It might say none, but it has the download link right there on the screen.  All you have to do is click on it and start the download.

55396, my concern is that even though there is a an update available it might not be for this card and that's why when I click on the link it says there is none. I had a suspicion it wasn't especially after I saw the lineup and saw it was low on the list and that the drivers are for a bunch of games.

I'm now more convinced that it might not be a good idea after reading Cpt_Kill_Jack cautioning readers about the 314.14 Beta drivers. I have a feeling that the 314.07 drivers illustrated in the image I posted might have the same issue and/or some others. To make matters worse, he also pointed out that my card is not for gaming, and as I stated earlier, the drivers seem geared toward video cards that are strictly for gaming.

If you or Cpt_Kill_Jack can let me know definitely it won't cause a problem I'll install the drivers.

Edited by Crushly, March 12 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#44 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thank you thank you thank you Cpt. I was poking around with the settings and couldn't figure it out with just scanning over everything. Saved me some time dude, you're a life saver.
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#45 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 04:20 PM

While this thread is still up ive been wanting to ask about something in your original post Cpt

you wrote:
Step Four:
If you do not see Hawken in the drop down list in the Program Settings menu

please add the hawkengame-win32-shipping.exe to the list from the root folder
for Hawken and in the Bin folder.  ___

i found the exe from the 64 root path you listed, is there a SECOND file
i was supposed to apply, something from bin_

also Ive got a 560 gtx, I did overclock it, which was pretty fun thanks
for helping me get over my fear about that,
and i run BF3 apparently on Ultra, (game chose that setting, and it works great!)

but yeah hawken is just at medium setting, OC card crashes if i put it on high...
a post elix made said that when Hawken is actually released the game will
have undergone optimization,
and things should run faster by then... hopin thats tru, but if not Ill take
medium hawken over no hawken at all...

Edited by kubikiri, March 12 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#46 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 06:32 PM

If you got the file from the path I listed you should be fine. I just listed 2 because of 64 and 32 bit systems paths being different. Also the exe i pathed to is the exe for the game. There is another somewhere else (cant remember off hand) thats for the launcher. I probably should reword that part because its not exactly clear. But the way Adhesive has the Folders setup its not exactly a normal setup.

As far as your GPU crashing on high your voltage probably isnt quite enough for the clock setting. As for this thread dying I dont think that will happen. I will be updating and writing a post saying what exactly I updated each time.

Also just for a note this Tutorial makes the GPU while specific program is running stay at the load clock vs changing between load and low power clocks depending on the gpu usage load. Basially it just keeps it at a higher state of power.

#47 Crushly

Crushly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi SS396 and Cpt_Kill_Jack, just want to let you know the latest. Earlier today I called Nvidia and asked about using the drivers update feature via the Nvidia Control Panel.

The tech told me not to use the update feature. He instructed me to go directly to the site (he stayed on the phone throughout the whole DL and installation process) and navigate to the latest drivers for the card and DL it that way. He said that using the update DL link causes an issue. I guess it somehow corrupts it. I installed the 314.07 drivers (using clean install which I had no idea is located in the installer) and so far no issues are present. If anything comes up I'll post it.

Thanks for your help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

P.S. I just realized it's SS and not 55 LOL. I thought you have a 1955 vehicle with a 396 in it, but as I thought about it I have never seen such a production vehicle. The font makes it look that way. Then I realized that it must be an SS 396 and confirmed it by going back and looking at your icon.

I'm guessing it's a Chevellle_ Too bad I don't have my '70 Nova anymore, we could hit the track! GM power all the way!! :D

#48 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted March 13 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostCrushly, on March 13 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Hi SS396 and Cpt_Kill_Jack, just want to let you know the latest. Earlier today I called Nvidia and asked about using the drivers update feature via the Nvidia Control Panel.

The tech told me not to use the update feature. He instructed me to go directly to the site (he stayed on the phone throughout the whole DL and installation process) and navigate to the latest drivers for the card and DL it that way. He said that using the update DL link causes an issue. I guess it somehow corrupts it. I installed the 314.07 drivers (using clean install which I had no idea is located in the installer) and so far no issues are present. If anything comes up I'll post it.

Thanks for your help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

P.S. I just realized it's SS and not 55 LOL. I thought you have a 1955 vehicle with a 396 in it, but as I thought about it I have never seen such a production vehicle. The font makes it look that way. Then I realized that it must be an SS 396 and confirmed it by going back and looking at your icon.

I'm guessing it's a Chevellle_ Too bad I don't have my '70 Nova anymore, we could hit the track! GM power all the way!! :D

The recommended driver on this tutorial is the 310.70 driver due to it having higher overall frame gain over 314.07.

#49 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 11:12 AM

Updated Driver recommendations and Driver links for the new 314.22 WHQL drivers from Nvidia. Testing showed improvements in fps in the min and max ranges. Average FPS also increased.

Links are in the first post.

Notable increases:

- Looking across Origin netted a 10FPS gain over 310.70 form 30 FPS to 40 FPS

Testing was performed at Ultra settings with Motion blur and Film grain disabled on a GTX 580 @ 850MHz Core.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, March 29 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#50 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 29 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostCrushly, on March 13 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Snip.

Interesting, Thanks for the info right from Nvidia.  I know a few months ago the recommendation was to disable to update feature because it was a security risk, but I thought the patch a few days later had fixed it.  I would like to know their reasons.  I still have it disabled.
It might have to do with it the updater downloading the larger package with all the languages included just to catch everyone.  I do not know.

I have not updated to the latest drivers because of fear of problems.  I guess I will update now and test now that I hear things seem better.

No big deal on any mistake on my Callsign.  Many of the younger players in here have no clue what a muscle car from the late 60's is.  :D
However, a 55 Chevy Bel Air with a big block would still be cool.  I'd drive it and you guessed correctly, I own a 1968 Chevelle SS396 with a 4 speed.  Its cool you had a Nova, too bad you don't have it anymore.  Right now in Phoenix we are having issues with both our tracks.  The county has not renewed the zoning for the smaller track, and the NHRA track at Firebird is being closed in a week.  Nobody will have anywhere to race legally.  The streets are going to be crazy.  :o

Edited by SS396, March 29 2013 - 04:28 PM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#51 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 29 2013 - 04:26 PM

Well, +1 for the latest drivers 314.22.  GPU usage in the menus is way down from ~90% to 50% on both cards.  Temps are down 15C on each board.  In game GPU usage seems to be up 10%.  Framerates are up noticeably  

There is only one spot where the GPU usage seems to be going crazy at 90% again, and thats when you are in the menus and the connecting dialog window appears, for some reason usage spikes during that time.

All in all, very satisfied with them.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#52 DrLogic

DrLogic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted April 22 2013 - 08:11 AM

Thank you for sharing this information with the community.  It really made a difference in my case.

#53 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationBrazil (-3 GMT)

Posted September 13 2013 - 11:37 AM

Having IOH Overheat problems. Anybody have any tips for avoiding it_

Posted Image

Digital Revolution Clan Member [.:DRev:.]

Join the Revolution HERE!

#54 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:09 PM

Do you have a custom fan profile for your GPU. The stock fan profile that ships with cards is really stupid.

BTW the reason I have not changed this guide since did last is because I have yet to upgrade my driver. Im running at practically 120fps on every map but Last Eco and Titan. But everyone im sure knows why those are lower.

#55 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on September 13 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Do you have a custom fan profile for your GPU. The stock fan profile that ships with cards is really stupid.

BTW the reason I have not changed this guide since did last is because I have yet to upgrade my driver. Im running at practically 120fps on every map but Last Eco and Titan. But everyone im sure knows why those are lower.

Yes I do, but my PC had overheating problems since I builted it, after months of reading, I was able to optimaze this problem, but I guess Hawken pushed it a little further, maybe was an isolated case, cause it happened only once, but I'm afraid to keep on, as this error can damage over my Processor and Mother Board. Guess my main problem is my graphic card, I use a GTX 295. I'm searching for a good one to replace it, and was thinking about the GTX770, but I'm not sure, looking onto a few reviews, it consumes far less energy, which may be a little more cooler then my 295. Any advice on this quest_

Edited by ArccBR, September 13 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

#56 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:24 PM

BTW which GTX295_ The sandwich or the Fan in the middle. If your going to go after a new GPU I really suggest going after a GTX 780. The 780 is what I plan to upgrade my 580 to because its showing its age at 2560x1440.

#57 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on September 13 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

BTW which GTX295_ The sandwich or the Fan in the middle. If your going to go after a new GPU I really suggest going after a GTX 780. The 780 is what I plan to upgrade my 580 to because its showing its age at 2560x1440.

I live in Brazil, and tech here is something PRETTY expensive, GTX 780 here reaches the house os 2.700,00 reais (something like 1.080,00 dollars).

I use the Zotac, the one with the fan in the middle, just reading about it, it's pretty common high temps on it (60 C). Guess i'll try to elevate a bit my cooler, see if I can make get at least 5 C down on it, as a lot of users said it was possible. With water cooling, I can reach around 40 C, but I don't master that kind of technology. Wish me good luck!

Edited by ArccBR, September 13 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image

#58 Kureno

Kureno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:52 PM

yo Cpt_Kill_Jack.
I use have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT and was thinking of overclocking a little.
Any useful information you can share_

#59 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:56 PM

60C is nothing. The newer GPUs run at higher temps usually.

I dont know Kureno I might say you need to get new GPU. Thats getting pretty old now. I dont know much about limits on those old gpus so i wouldnt me much help for overclocking. The big part is knowing the limits of the chip and the cooler.

#60 Kureno

Kureno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on September 13 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

60C is nothing. The newer GPUs run at higher temps usually.

I dont know Kureno I might say you need to get new GPU. Thats getting pretty old now. I dont know much about limits on those old gpus so i wouldnt me much help for overclocking. The big part is knowing the limits of the chip and the cooler.
Yea I know It's pretty old but so far it's usually between 40-60 FPS most the time. (last eco is around 35-40 fps)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users