HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tutorial: Setting Higher Performance for Nvidia Graphics Cards In Hawken

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 StutterStep

StutterStep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:45 AM

Is it okay to make these changes if you only have stock fan on your card_  I just want to make sure I avoid any possible damage.

#22 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:52 AM

Stock fan is just fine on GPUs. In some cases the stock coolers are better. You can always download a program like Afterburner and made a custom Fan profile. But yes you should be fine with a stock fan and cooler. Just one question what card was it that you were afraid of_

#23 IronMan42

IronMan42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hey guys just a quick question with the nvidia talk.  I'm running a single gtx 670 and have been contemplating getting a second, what sort of difference in fps are you seeing on full servers with SLI_

*ninja edit*

Edited by IronMan42, February 25 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#24 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostIronMan42, on February 25 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey guys just a quick question with the nvidia talk.  I'm running a single gtx 670 and have been contemplating getting a second, what sort of difference in fps are you seeing on full servers with SLI_

*ninja edit*

My card is comparable to yours with mine being a GTX 580. I dont run SLI and I get anywhere from 50-120 FPS with an average 75. SLI is completely up to you. But the downside becomes Micro stuttering and input lag this is because SLI and Crossfire for that matter use Split frame rendering meaning each card renders half of one frame and before it can push it out both cards must finish. Micro stuttering for you noticing it depends on how good of an eye you have and if you can spot minor lag instances where it seems like the frames are hesitating to push out. But in the end its completely up to you.

I run a GTX580 for the Game card and a GTX470 to run my second monitor and as a dedicated Physx GPU.

Just one note I run on Ultra Settings with some minor annoyance effects turned off like motion blur and film grain.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, February 25 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#25 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted February 25 2013 - 10:53 PM

Took these steps, updated to the new driver, and lost ~10 frames. I was usually at 30 but my frames would seriously tank in big fights. Now every time I go into the game it resets my desktop resolution to 800x640...

Honestly, I've spent so many hours trying to get this game running smoothly that I just don't care. I've been able to get it running with tweaking ini files and destroying the beautiful graphics of the game but somehow I always end up with more lag so I guess my system just can't handle it. I've been playing for 3-4 weeks now and it's been mostly playable but now I'm just tired of trying to get my frames up and too lazy to try and, after following the advice here, set it all back to when it was just barely good enough.

My specs are:
  Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU   6300  @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
  Memory: 3070MB RAM
  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
  Manufacturer: NVIDIA
  Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
  Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_042110DE&REV_A2
  Display Memory: 1894 MB
  Dedicated Memory: 615 MB
  Shared Memory: 1278 MB
  Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
  Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
  Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1090 (English)
  DDI Version: 10
  BGRA Supported: Yes

I don't know what most of this means so excuse anything irrelevant.

Edited by ExtremeUnction, February 25 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#26 Poetess

Poetess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 25 2013 - 11:28 PM

Nicely crafted tutorial!

I cannot tell you what a pain it was when I had to go through this process of tweaking my graphics card.  A tutorial like this would have been priceless to me.  Again, nice work :).
Posted Image
^Vote for my T-shirt design shown above here: Submission Link

#27 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostExtremeUnction, on February 25 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Took these steps, updated to the new driver, and lost ~10 frames. I was usually at 30 but my frames would seriously tank in big fights. Now every time I go into the game it resets my desktop resolution to 800x640...

Honestly, I've spent so many hours trying to get this game running smoothly that I just don't care. I've been able to get it running with tweaking ini files and destroying the beautiful graphics of the game but somehow I always end up with more lag so I guess my system just can't handle it. I've been playing for 3-4 weeks now and it's been mostly playable but now I'm just tired of trying to get my frames up and too lazy to try and, after following the advice here, set it all back to when it was just barely good enough.

My specs are:
  Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU   6300  @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
  Memory: 3070MB RAM
  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
  Manufacturer: NVIDIA
  Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
  Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_042110DE&REV_A2
  Display Memory: 1894 MB
  Dedicated Memory: 615 MB
  Shared Memory: 1278 MB
  Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
  Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
  DDI Version: 10
  BGRA Supported: Yes

I don't know what most of this means so excuse anything irrelevant.

Im guessing that you were on 310.70 and upgraded to 314.07. If so I too saw lower frame rates with the 314 drivers by about 10fps but my low frames increase meaning that the area it dipped to rose to a higher fps which is why i put it up as the recommended. If you wish you can revert with the clean install instructions near the bottom of the tutorial to 310.70 and reset the tutorial as it works on that driver as well. your video card is the original version of the 9800 which is the minimum recommended. The 9800 was just a revision and rebrand of the 8800 but like i said its at the absolute minimum for this game. The fact that you were running 30fps was great and i recommend going back to that driver but also applying this tutorial except for the drivers.

#28 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:20 PM

thats 310.90.  ;)
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#29 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

thats 310.90.  ;)

Yea 310.90 is an issue. Get either 310.70 or 314.07.

#30 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on February 26 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

thats 310.90.  ;)

Yea 310.90 is an issue. Get either 310.70 or 314.07.

I'm using 314.07 on my GTX 680, and so far I haven't noticed any adverse side-effects. It seems to be running smooth (knock on wood). Nice writeup, Cpt_Kill_Jack!

Posted Image

#31 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:00 PM

yeah i had to undo it... happily theres a revert button right there on that screen...
not sure why... i've never oc'd a graphics card, heck i dont even know how to look
at my fps without starting an nvidia utility...

but yeah i was getting micro-stuttering lag with your tutorial,
im sure it works for some people, i don't know why it didnt work for me,
but it was still interesting to try....
ive got a nvidia 560, and im running the 314.07 driver...

#32 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Postkubikiri, on February 26 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

yeah i had to undo it... happily theres a revert button right there on that screen...
not sure why... i've never oc'd a graphics card, heck i dont even know how to look
at my fps without starting an nvidia utility...

but yeah i was getting micro-stuttering lag with your tutorial,
im sure it works for some people, i don't know why it didnt work for me,
but it was still interesting to try....
ive got a nvidia 560, and im running the 314.07 driver...

Where were you getting the stuttering_ And also are you running SLI_

#33 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:14 PM

as to where, not sure how i should answer... in the prosk map with only 5 others (thats when i was like o ok)
but first was in a seige map with a full server.... and nope no sli i only have one pci 2.0 slot,

i do have two monitors set up... i appreciate you responding... i think i should try to oc my card
but ive never done that before... and i should probably get more than 4 gigs of ram...

#34 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:39 PM

The 560s were known for their Overclocking headroom. But you should be seeing an improvement not a hit to performance with it. Personally I think my performance was better on the 310.70 drivers over the 314.07 im running right now.

#35 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:51 PM

interesting... maybe the next update ill try it again... i might even get oc'ing a try (scared though)
anyway thanks again...

#36 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 10:07 PM

For OC push the card 25mhz at a time and test it. If your game crashes then its not stable and you need to increase the voltage to the next notch. I recommend the program afterburner from MSI.

There are many resources out there on how to safely OC a card.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, February 26 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#37 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted February 27 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on February 26 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

Im guessing that you were on 310.70 and upgraded to 314.07. If so I too saw lower frame rates with the 314 drivers by about 10fps but my low frames increase meaning that the area it dipped to rose to a higher fps which is why i put it up as the recommended. If you wish you can revert with the clean install instructions near the bottom of the tutorial to 310.70 and reset the tutorial as it works on that driver as well. your video card is the original version of the 9800 which is the minimum recommended. The 9800 was just a revision and rebrand of the 8800 but like i said its at the absolute minimum for this game. The fact that you were running 30fps was great and i recommend going back to that driver but also applying this tutorial except for the drivers.
I'll give it a shot and post an update afterward. Thanks for the advice. I've been getting pretty bitter about this because I only need 5-10 more fps. 20-30 is just fine for me and it sits around 20 until i get into fights where I need smooth frames most. I've been considering just finding different games to play but this is pretty much the only game I've been playing for the last 3 weeks since I found out it was in open beta and FREE. This has got to be one of the best games I've ever played and I really want to make it run smoothly. I can tolerate lag for a long time but my patience is wearing thin with all the time I've invested into reducing it.

edit: Did a clean install of 310.70 and it's definitely an improvement. Still not too great but definitely better than before. Hopefully something else comes along that will give me the little boost I need. Thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by ExtremeUnction, February 27 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#38 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted February 27 2013 - 07:56 AM

Reverted Driver links to 310.70 WHQL Drivers due to Reports and testing showing higher frame gain.

#39 Crushly

Crushly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi Cpt_Kill_Jack. I have several questions and hope you bear with me as I'm new to info about video cards. A few days ago I upgraded to a GeFORCE GT 630 video card along with 16GB of RAM, a ViewSonic VX2253 HDMI 1080p monitor and two 3.0 USB ports. The original integrated video card is still installed.

The rest of my specs are Dell Inspiron 580 Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 GHz, 64-bit Windows 7.

The main reason I arrived at this site/thread is because I'm looking to find a way to sharpen video images I watch using the Nvidia Control Panel without using more contrast which causes too much black in less lit areas. I mainly use VLC and WMP to view the video files. VLC has settings also but it's pretty much the same as using the Nvidia settings. I'm trying to lessen the amount of times I have to adjust the VLC settings by finding a Nvidia setting that will show crisp and clear in all videos that are correctly calibrated. I have everything perfect except the crispness.

The other reason which is more up your alley is about what happens when I play Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood http://www.gamespot....nd-of-sherwood/ which is a really old game LOL.

Before upgrading the graphics were pretty lame. It looked over magnified. It actually looked better on my old  XP laptop which has been out of commission for a couple of years.. Now with the upgrade, the size of the game shrunk to what would be akin to the old TV screens that are square. The highest setting for the game is 1024x768 which is what I always leave it on.

The other problem that arises with both video cards is when I exit the game. It screws up my desktop and other graphics-related things. For example, I have a program installed called Time Left. The clock is locked on the desktop but moves to the other side after I exit. Another thing that just happened is an image I had open using Irfanview did this  Picture 2013-03-12 00_58_53.png

There should be no black surrounding the image and it should be larger. It cannot be corrected unless I exit the image.

Another question I have is about upgrading the drivers. I don't have any other video games. When I checked for updates via the Nvidia Control Panel it said there was none even though it clearly says there is one available. Picture 2013-03-12 01_07_42.png :huh:

Should I update the drivers anyway using your clean install instructions_ Also, is there a conflict by leaving the original integrated video card installed_ I haven't checked to see if it can be removed, What if I want to use more than one monitor_ If the original video card is left installed would it be better to use the original for  a VGA monitor instead of the new (GT 630) dedicated one_

#40 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 12 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostCrushly, on March 11 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Another question I have is about upgrading the drivers. I don't have any other video games. When I checked for updates via the Nvidia Control Panel it said there was none even though it clearly says there is one available. Attachment Picture 2013-03-12 01_07_42.png :huh:
It might say none, but it has the download link right there on the screen.  All you have to do is click on it and start the download.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users