HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Tutorial: Setting Higher Performance for Nvidia Graphics Cards In Hawken

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostArccBR, on September 13 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on September 13 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

BTW which GTX295_ The sandwich or the Fan in the middle. If your going to go after a new GPU I really suggest going after a GTX 780. The 780 is what I plan to upgrade my 580 to because its showing its age at 2560x1440.

I live in Brazil, and tech here is something PRETTY expensive, GTX 780 here reaches the house os 2.700,00 reais (something like 1.080,00 dollars).

I use the Zotac, the one with the fan in the middle, just reading about it, it's pretty common high temps on it (60 C). Guess i'll try to elevate a bit my cooler, see if I can make get at least 5 C down on it, as a lot of users said it was possible. With water cooling, I can reach around 40 C, but I don't master that kind of technology. Wish me good luck!
maybe your cpu produce to much warm air and your side-fan cant suck it. have you tried with more powerful fan for the back side_
Zalman ZM-SF3 (900 ~ 1,500rpm) silent at 50%(~12dBA) with 1,150rpm
http://www.amazon.co...s=Zalman ZM-SF3

Xigmatek XAF-F1253 (900 ~ 1,500rpm) silent at 40%(~12dBA) with 1,050rpm
http://www.amazon.co...matek XAF-F1253

xigmatek is stronger and louder and very good for cpu. i switched it with old fan from "ETS-T40-TB" and it gave me -12°. gtx 670 now never reaches 70°. 56° was max so far.
i use zalman for the back side.
and i use "speedfan" software to control both fans.

Edited by necroq, September 13 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

#62 Rajitha

Rajitha

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka / 6.9167° N, 79.8333° E

Posted October 01 2013 - 01:49 PM

Really Good Thread Cpt_Kill_Jack :)

Did you notice any framerate differences since Ascension, relative to pre-Ascension_ The last time I played (about a week ago) I had framerate dips on Origin (i run at 60 fps capped by adaptive vsync from the Nvidia control panel), running textures @ high and graphics quality is custom  (everything except image grain is enabled) and AF 4x and AA 4x

I think it might be an issue with my drivers since the monitor goes to sleep momentarily and the 'display driver has stopped responding and recovered' message shows up when it recovers. And the day i had those fps dips i rebooted the pc and the monitor went to sleep momentarily while loading in the welcome screen (windows 7) but doesn't show the message probably cuz it was still in the welcome screen when it recovered, i rebooted about 3 times and it happened everytime!!
Didn't happen everytime after that day though :blink:

Anyways after reading through this, i think that a clean driver install might solve my problems. I'm currently running 314.22
But I'd like to wait if you plan on updating to
327.23 - WHQL (released on sept 19th) to see your verdict on it :)

Core i5-3470 | Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB | Gigabyte B75M-D3H | Seasonic 520W
Siege Tutorial | Hawken In Asia (gameplay videos) | South Asia/Southeast Asia Community
HAWKEN ASIA STEAM COMMUNITY!

#63 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted October 01 2013 - 02:59 PM

Just wanted to thank the OP, Seeing 5-10fps increase after following his instructions, really helps as I play the game on the lowest possible settings and still don't always get decent frames. Especially on Bazaar for some reason...was getting 15-20, now it's more like 20-25. Thanks a lot man.
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#64 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:41 AM

Really apprecite kill jacks thread, i was in teamspeak with kill jack just talking about  having some problems with FPS and lag spikes. I tested ram, video cards, reinstalled hawken etc.and nothing worked. I was really getting pissed cause i had no idea what the problem was, kill jack suggested that i try some old driver due to them being better then the new ones. So far so good with fps it jumped up to 80-90 and not getting any lag so far. Not sure whats going on with SLI tho, pre ascension i was getting 122fps on my sli now i get 80-90. I run better on one card 110fps =(

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

http://www.twitch.tv...eel_brotherhood

Star citizen

https://robertsspace...m/orgs/STARWIND

#65 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationBrazil (-3 GMT)

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:11 AM

View Postnecroq, on September 13 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

BTW which GTX295_ The sandwich or the Fan in the middle. If your going to go after a new GPU I really suggest going after a GTX 780. The 780 is what I plan to upgrade my 580 to because its showing its age at 2560x1440.

I live in Brazil, and tech here is something PRETTY expensive, GTX 780 here reaches the house os 2.700,00 reais (something like 1.080,00 dollars).

I use the Zotac, the one with the fan in the middle, just reading about it, it's pretty common high temps on it (60 C). Guess i'll try to elevate a bit my cooler, see if I can make get at least 5 C down on it, as a lot of users said it was possible. With water cooling, I can reach around 40 C, but I don't master that kind of technology. Wish me good luck!
maybe your cpu produce to much warm air and your side-fan cant suck it. have you tried with more powerful fan for the back side_

xigmatek is stronger and louder and very good for cpu. i switched it with old fan from "ETS-T40-TB" and it gave me -12°. gtx 670 now never reaches 70°. 56° was max so far.

Thanks for the tips, but I bought a pair of coolers for my CPU already, helped a bunch!

But I need a bit of advice, looking for a CPU cooler, I got the goddamn Zalman 9900 MAX. BUT, it did not fit, dunno if the fault is from my mobo, or my gabinet, but I guess it's the second option, so, I'm here to ask for a friendly advice: Is there any CPU cooler (without backplate) out there that excel the one that comes with the processor_ Socket LGA1366, Intel i7 920 (old as fuzzy bunny generation).

After a bit of research, I founded the Thermal Take CLP 0532. Is it a good one_

Thanks for the help bros!

Edited by ArccBR, October 02 2013 - 09:12 AM.

Posted Image

Digital Revolution Clan Member [.:DRev:.]

Join the Revolution HERE!

#66 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostRajitha, on October 01 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Really Good Thread Cpt_Kill_Jack :)

Did you notice any framerate differences since Ascension, relative to pre-Ascension_ The last time I played (about a week ago) I had framerate dips on Origin (i run at 60 fps capped by adaptive vsync from the Nvidia control panel), running textures @ high and graphics quality is custom  (everything except image grain is enabled) and AF 4x and AA 4x

I think it might be an issue with my drivers since the monitor goes to sleep momentarily and the 'display driver has stopped responding and recovered' message shows up when it recovers. And the day i had those fps dips i rebooted the pc and the monitor went to sleep momentarily while loading in the welcome screen (windows 7) but doesn't show the message probably cuz it was still in the welcome screen when it recovered, i rebooted about 3 times and it happened everytime!!
Didn't happen everytime after that day though :blink:

Anyways after reading through this, i think that a clean driver install might solve my problems. I'm currently running 314.22
But I'd like to wait if you plan on updating to 327.23 - WHQL (released on sept 19th) to see your verdict on it :)

I will not be updating from 314.22 as there are issues with the newer drivers. Issues that cause performance denormalization (yes i just created a word) where it just goes all over the board. There are issues with SLI, As well as many of the newer drivers simply do not work right or at all with 400 and 500 series cards. The new 331.40 Beta driver does fix some of the Compatibility issues (which Nvidia does not want to admit is there) with the Fermi Based cards but many are still having issues. There are also Compatibility issues with drivers after 314 with the Korean PLS and IPS monitors where they simply dont display to them. For Kepler based cards 600-700 my friend who has one and has tried the drivers uses the 326.80 beta driver and its rock solid but I dont know the performance implications for Hawken. Also note that He has a Titan and does not run SLI.

The new 331.40 driver is horrid and filled with issues. And im not playing the BF4 beta because I will not install that driver with the issues it has. A lot of the issues have to do with SLI, Isolated compatibility, and for some reason its putting more strain on the CPU.

Also i get better frame rates on Ascension than before. But I also increased my FPS before Ascension by switching from AMD 1055T to my new 3930K Intel. But yes my Frames on the same driver on Ascension are better than before.

View PostHatesYourFace, on October 01 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Just wanted to thank the OP, Seeing 5-10fps increase after following his instructions, really helps as I play the game on the lowest possible settings and still don't always get decent frames. Especially on Bazaar for some reason...was getting 15-20, now it's more like 20-25. Thanks a lot man.

Your welcome and im glad it helped.

As for you Derez you might actually be better off running in Single card with the second set to Physx and running Physx on high. This is currently what I am doing with my 580 and my 470. Im actually getting better frames by running with Physx on high where my 470 does the other work and getting 70-110 FPS on Ultra at 2560x1440 resolution. Where on just regular same settings but no Physx im getting 40(very rare and only on 2 maps) -  120FPS. Now I decide what drivers to use and recommend based on averages. I get better average FPS by running with Physx on high than without physx. So I have chosen to do this.

SLI has its own downfall of being Split frame rendered where each card renders half of a frame where it would be better on Alternate frame rendering where each card renders alternating frames (one evens and one odds). This has some microstuttering but is generally better performing. But SLI has its own performance issues which is why I just buy the one powerful card and use my old main as a physx card. Yes this makes my Physx Card completely over powered for what its doing but by the time I get a new card its not worth it for me to sell them so why not use it.

#67 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostArccBR, on October 02 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Postnecroq, on September 13 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips, but I bought a pair of coolers for my CPU already, helped a bunch!

But I need a bit of advice, looking for a CPU cooler, I got the goddamn Zalman 9900 MAX. BUT, it did not fit, dunno if the fault is from my mobo, or my gabinet, but I guess it's the second option, so, I'm here to ask for a friendly advice: Is there any CPU cooler (without backplate) out there that excel the one that comes with the processor_ Socket LGA1366, Intel i7 920 (old as fuzzy bunny generation).

After a bit of research, I founded the Thermal Take CLP 0532. Is it a good one_

Thanks for the help bros!

Im getting a new CPU cooler very soon as well. Ill be getting the Silverstone Tundra TD02 Which is a 240 AIO Watercooler. But there is a smaller version that still performs very well called the TD03. Im at my limit for air cooling on my CPU so im making the move to the next level.

EDIT: Also most if not all (except for socket 2011) aftermarket coolers will require you to mount backplate on the motherboard because of the Weight for air cooler and so that you can fuzzy bunny (wont let me say the Scre w its a bloody piece of hardware) the thing in for both watercooling and air cooling.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, October 02 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#68 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on October 02 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Im getting a new CPU cooler very soon as well. Ill be getting the Silverstone Tundra TD02 Which is a 240 AIO Watercooler. But there is a smaller version that still performs very well called the TD03. Im at my limit for air cooling on my CPU so im making the move to the next level.

Like I said before, I lack the knowledge to deal with watercooling. Besides, I already lost a MOBO trying to change the CPU cooler (yeah, I got the Zalman, but a day later I had to buy another MOBO, that's why I'm asking a cooler without backplate).

BTW, my gabinet is a Cooler Master CM690. Once again, any CPU cooler (no backplate) for this badboy_

Posted Image

#69 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostArccBR, on October 02 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on October 02 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Like I said before, I lack the knowledge to deal with watercooling. Besides, I already lost a MOBO trying to change the CPU cooler (yeah, I got the Zalman, but a day later I had to buy another MOBO, that's why I'm asking a cooler without backplate).

BTW, my gabinet is a Cooler Master CM690. Once again, any CPU cooler (no backplate) for this badboy_

All aftermarket coolers do require that you attach a Backplate to the back of the motherboard. This is often because the standard board does not have a backplate or the backplate that is there does not have threaded holes for you to for you to twist your Threaded dull nail into (yes i mean a S crew but saying it without the space does this fuzzy bunny so im being creative). Socket 2011 again is the only socket that has a backplate with those required holes by default. This is because AMD includes clip down tension mounts by default for their stock cloolers for their CPUs and Intel provides those horrible plastic pushpins used to secure their stock coolers.

Short Answer is No there are no coolers that would make it so that you do not have to put a backplate on the motherboard other than other coolers that are exactly like the default cooler that came with your CPU (Do not get one of these they are bad. The ones like the deffault ones that is).

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, October 02 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#70 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the answers Cap,

I'm also in need of another answer. Can I do a SLI between a newer card (GTX 780) and an old one (GTX295)_ Thinking about using the 295 for PhysX purposes. Will it work_

Thanks bro.

Posted Image

#71 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostArccBR, on October 11 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Thanks for the answers Cap,

I'm also in need of another answer. Can I do a SLI between a newer card (GTX 780) and an old one (GTX295)_ Thinking about using the 295 for PhysX purposes. Will it work_

Thanks bro.

Nvidia works with the same cards only. So it would have to be 780 and 780 with both at the same clocks. You can have another card in there for Physx but the SLI must be the same cards.

Also you should not need to SLI if you have a 780 its extremely powerful. My 580 does well but Its showing its age at 2560x1440 resolution. Single card will always be better than SLI because of things called Microstuttering and the need for driver support for SLI to work well. I gave up on looking at SLI a long time ago. It has more issues than its worth and its mostly for Showing off and benchmarking.

#72 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:32 AM

I thought that using two graphics cards were called SLI, but, that's out of question, I'm just dumb. My problem here is, using 2 different GC, one for the game, and the other for the physX, will it work_ Even them being different_

btw, you were so quick to answer, thanks for the reply. :)

Edited by ArccBR, October 11 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Posted Image

#73 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 12:11 PM

Oh that yes thats completely fine. Im running a 580 as my main card and a 470 as my Physx. Technically your 295 counts as 2 cards iirc. Just set one to be the designated Physx GPU in the Nvidia Control Pannel. You want the more powerful card first. So in the top PCI-E slot you want the 780.

#74 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, about hardware config I know a little bit. Like you said, my 295 has 2 GPUs, what should I do with the one that will be idle_

Posted Image

#75 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted October 12 2013 - 04:43 AM

gtx 780_
I have that card. Let it do all the physx work, no need for a second card to do it.
I read somewhere that having a slower card handle the physx can actually impede performance.

Here it is:
http://www.reddit.co...the_powermoney/
Shooting myself, for damage perks

#76 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 01:27 PM

View Posttropt, on October 12 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

gtx 780_
I have that card. Let it do all the physx work, no need for a second card to do it.
I read somewhere that having a slower card handle the physx can actually impede performance.

Here it is:

Hmm strange Because I think people still use their 8800s as Physx Cards.

The point of having other cards do the Physx work is so that the Main card can focus on just the game. It takes work load off of the GPU and the CPU.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, October 13 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#77 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted October 13 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostCpt_Kill_Jack, on October 13 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

View Posttropt, on October 12 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

gtx 780_

Here it is:

Hmm strange Because I think people still use their 8800s as Physx Cards.

The point of having other cards do the Physx work is so that the Main card can focus on just the game. It takes work load off of the GPU and the CPU.

I still use the 8800 as my actual graphics card.

Don't be hatin yo.

Lol.

Edited by HatesYourFace, October 13 2013 - 05:35 PM.

Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#78 tropt

tropt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Perth

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:40 PM

The problem, is the slower card creates a bottleneck. The faster card is literally waiting for the slower card to finish it's work.

Here's a nifty youtube video with some basic stats:

Edited by tropt, October 13 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Shooting myself, for damage perks

#79 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Posttropt, on October 13 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

The problem, is the slower card creates a bottleneck. The faster card is literally waiting for the slower card to finish it's work.

Here's a nifty youtube video with some basic stats:

I see an issue with that he is using an extremely old and low end card as a physx which wont be near as powerful in any way as even an 8800,9800,GTS 250 (All 3 cards use the same chip). You would be insane to use a card that is that old and that low end. You should use older highend cards. I have 2 other cards to use either my GTX 470 (the one im using) or my GTX 275.

There is a large difference in performance due to the difference in the memory bandwidth and Bitsize for the memory.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, October 18 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#80 ArccBR

ArccBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 06:30 AM

Cap, lend me your knowledge.

I just got a R9 290, can I use it with my GTX 295_ I mean, the R9 290 only for the game, and the GTX295 for PhysX_ Once again, thanks.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users