HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Entitlement Attitude

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#41 Pursang

Pursang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationTera

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:53 PM

While I understand and somewhat agree with the point the OP is trying to make, I think it's rather a fruitless endeveur. Nothing that you say or do is going to change how people act on the internet. It's like arguing with a brick wall - a waste of time.
Posted Image

#42 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostBeemann, on October 26 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

The majority of the post was clarification as to your own ideas of what betas are about and why people should stop doing X Y and Z. It was simply explaining your complaint

You're always going to get non-constructive feedback, that happens everywhere... Heck I get non-constructive replies to my posts all the time (had a guy jump into a thread the other day just to try to trash talk me for giving his friend a verbal ass kicking when it came to discussing game balance)

You didn't just limit it to that though. You implied that balance suggestions shouldn't be made right now (because people haven't extensively tested it)
I don't think it always takes x number of hours to determine that a bad idea is bad, or that a mechanic is poorly implemented

I also feel that throwing out an overused and loaded term like "Entitled" is a bit of a fuzzy bunny move. This has nothing to do with people believing they are gaming dictators (though some of the threads I've seen... looking at you locked graphics options threads :P) and everything to do with the fact that certain aspects of the game bother them. It's pretty clear that something has gone wrong on one end or the other when you've got a mob of people who take issue with a particular aspect of the game, even if they aren't particularly polite about it

I guess you could say that it was my interpretation of what Betas are for, but I've done some software testing professionally. What do I do when a feature doesn't work_ I report it and the devs fix it. You don't really yell at your devs asking why the hell the feature doesn't work. As a tester it's simply your job to test and report back. People in a beta are called beta testers. Maybe I have the entire idea of software testing wrong, but I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia....oftware_testing

Absolutely agree with your non-constructive feedback point. It happens. Not much you can do about it except try to keep explaining in a rational manner. I also didn't imply that balance suggestions shouldn't be made, or at least that's not how I meant it to come out. I was saying balance suggestions should be made in a suggestive manner. Point out the positives and negatives to the change. Patrick Bateman and others like him simply like to complain and say "I don't like this because I don't think it fits, fix it." That's not constructive to anyone. Test it, list the reasons you don't agree with the change, move on.

I was moreso trying to speak to the more extreme among those with bad attitudes so I don't feel my title was inappropriate. But yes, I agree, I'd say they are the vocal minority. I'm not sure either of us disagree with each other about anything at this point, we just have slightly different views of the issues themselves.

View PostPursang, on October 26 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

While I understand and somewhat agree with the point the OP is trying to make, I think it's rather a fruitless endeveur. Nothing that you say or do is going to change how people act on the internet. It's like arguing with a brick wall - a waste of time.

You're probably right. They'll fuzzy bunny about everything and leave and that'll pretty much be that. The targeted audience for this will probably never read it.

Edited by Robsbot, October 26 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#43 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:56 PM

Double post.

Edited by Robsbot, October 26 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#44 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationDorcia

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:59 PM

i knew your entire thread was just a semi direct response to me

theres a difference between mindlessly spouting bullshit about "x sucks because I said" and actually offering a legitimate reason as to why a change in this case the heat cannon is absolutely baffling and makes 0 sense when the proper alternative was readily made apparent by tons and tons of threads during alpha 2

you act as though I know nothing about how these weapons perform with each individual class theyre attributed to, and there is an absolute reason why absolutely no one used the flak cannon on a heavy class, or used the heat cannon on anything other than a class that didnt need to be knee deep in a combat situation like majority of A mechs do

youre just spouting the entitled argument in an attempt to stir up fuzzy bunny in a game you currently know absolutely nothing about, really

#45 Robsbot

Robsbot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on October 26 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

i knew your entire thread was just a semi direct response to me

theres a difference between mindlessly spouting bullshit about "x sucks because I said" and actually offering a legitimate reason as to why a change in this case the heat cannon is absolutely baffling and makes 0 sense when the proper alternative was readily made apparent by tons and tons of threads during alpha 2

you act as though I know nothing about how these weapons perform with each individual class theyre attributed to, and there is an absolute reason why absolutely no one used the flak cannon on a heavy class, or used the heat cannon on anything other than a class that didnt need to be knee deep in a combat situation like majority of A mechs do

youre just spouting the entitled argument in an attempt to stir up fuzzy bunny in a game you currently know absolutely nothing about, really

It wasn't a direct post about you I just feel that the majority of your posts (including the response to mine) are badly formed nonsense without point or direction. I just used you as an example. You can make a post about changes without sounding like a jerk and calling the devs (who know much more about how everything under the hood of their game runs) morons. A community moderator even responded to your thread. They are just testing things out to see what it does to balance. Maybe they are contemplating changing the direction of the mech. You have no idea what they are doing fundamentally so just test it and give your feedback in a respectful manner.

Edited by Robsbot, October 26 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#46 Batgirl

Batgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa.

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:06 PM

This thread is devolving. locked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users